Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Smilies
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
What should we do with the smilies?
Keep them as-is
Change to a consistent set, losing unique ones like twak and happy tar baby smiley
Change to a consistent set, but KEEP those unique ones
Change them all to pictures of Clayton dressed as Beethro
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
IP: Logged
icon Smilies (0)  
Well? What should we do? We've had discussions about this, but let's just have a poll - I'll do whatever the majority wants.

10-09-2003 at 08:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Smilies (0)  
Before I vote, could you perchance explain exactly what you mean by "consistent set?"

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-09-2003 at 08:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
I mean a set of smilies that were designed to look right together - that infamous "somebody" person complained that we have smilies drawn in about 10 different styles. Some people might love that, others might hate it.

10-09-2003 at 08:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
I voted for the third option, but only because a "consistent set" might have even more smileys...more is better! I don't really care if they're from different sets really though.

I like some of the ones on the Divine Divinity forums...they call them "Graemlins" there though. You can place a big stylized "Divinity"...it would be cool if we could do that for "DROD". There's a little waving guy for greeting new people, and a guy holding a big sign that says "off topic" (which I am sure could be used on me all the time :P ).

Oh yeah, the forum is located here: http://www.larian.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?Cat= , unfortunately you have to register to post and see the smileys. I am sure there are lots of other good ones in other places, but those are some unique ones I have seen. And they don't use a consistent set either, and they have a pretty good selling game out there too.

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 10-09-2003 at 08:43 PM GMT: url codes aren't working]

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-09-2003 at 08:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Dang - I should have added a "Keep current set, and add a bunch more of them, from any mismatched set you can find" option.

10-09-2003 at 08:44 PM
Oneiromancer
Only two people have voted--can you change the poll? Or is that not a good option to have available?

Edit: or were you being sarcastic?

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 10-09-2003 at 08:48 PM GMT]

10-09-2003 at 08:47 PM
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
I know I've made reference to the grab bag of smilies we've got here.

For reference, I reckon the more common smilies should be consistant (maybe they can be little Beethros) but we also want plenty of unique ones, like the bandito and the devil.

Matt

10-09-2003 at 09:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Oneiromancer wrote:
Only two people have voted--can you change the poll? Or is that not a good option to have available?

Edit: or were you being sarcastic?
No, I was serious. And while *I* could change it, there's no option set up to change an existing poll.

10-09-2003 at 09:34 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I voted for #3; but if we keep the current ones and add more that's better.

I would be very, very happy to get rid of the "shocked" smiley, though - I think smiley's shouldn't be significantly larger than a single line of text; "twak" I think is about the maximum that isn't really disruptive.

10-10-2003 at 04:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
:yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes

I dunno, they don't seem too bad when you pack 'em in tight. (I never used this one, so I thought I'd get some in now, just in case they go away forever.)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-10-2003 at 04:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Okay... you wanted smilies, you got smilies!

There are a WHOLE LOT to choose from. Go crazy....

11-20-2003 at 10:23 PM
eytanz
I find it somewhat amusing that all the existing smilies have changed retroactively - it certainly takes Mike's post above out of context.

And to the set of smilies, I'd like to say: :hi

11-20-2003 at 10:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Hmm. I get "unterminated string constant" script error in IE6 when I go to the reply page.

Edit: It is line 109. And also I forgot to use a smilie--we can't waste them. :alien

-Erik

[Edited by ErikH2000 on 11-20-2003 at 10:45 PM GMT]

11-20-2003 at 10:42 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
I don't get that error, but I made an educated guess what it was. Do you still get it?

11-20-2003 at 10:47 PM
Oneiromancer
:mario

This one is my favorite automatically.

I was just contemplating going back and checking all of my posts to see if any smilies changed for the worse. For example, :bandit is now gone. So is :rvd . That kind of messes things up a bit doesn't it? I like the variety in all the new ones though.

Oh, by the way, I won't really go back through 1050 posts. It took long enough to make them the first time.

Game on,

11-20-2003 at 10:52 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Schik wrote:
I don't get that error, but I made an educated guess what it was. Do you still get it?
You killed the bug, fella.

-Erik

11-20-2003 at 11:23 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
But there's more problems now, as lots of links in the posts seem to be broken, including simple image links like in squeekie's hint request posts. Probably problems with colons and stuff.

Edit: and when I hit "Post Reply" on this post, I got an SQL error on line 222. Then it still made the post fine and redirected me to this page, although it was really slow and seemed to hang up on the smilies a lot.

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 11-20-2003 at 11:31 PM GMT]

11-20-2003 at 11:26 PM
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
I dunno, I'm kinda liking this smiley: :medieval and this smilies pretty nice: :punk , but what the heck would you ever use this similie for? :pepsi . I dunno Schik, :? there are way too many smilies. :D I'm gonna cry with joy :~(. You are so cool. :glasses. :icecream :oldtimer :pope :weakbench :console.

...wow.

-Zmann (the greatest of them all, well, more like the greatest of some)
11-21-2003 at 12:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Zmann wrote:
what the heck would you ever use this similie for? :pepsi
That's what I look like when I'm up too late working on the forum.

Are there any unresolved issues with the smilies upgrade? I think everything's straighted out, but let me know if I'm wrong.

11-21-2003 at 03:20 AM
Oneiromancer
That looks like me, except I drink Coke instead of the blasphemous Pepsi.

Ah, gotta love a good old Coke vs. Pepsi flame war.

Game on,

11-21-2003 at 04:23 AM
Schik
Oh. My. God.

Coke? Are you serious? Oh dear. Why, oh why, do you like that rusty water called Coke?

11-21-2003 at 04:25 AM
Oneiromancer
Well, I should make one thing straight. When it comes from a fountain, I can drink either one. I still prefer Coke, but Pepsi ain't that bad. But in a can or bottle, I vastly prefer Coke. Pepsi is just too sweet for me. But let me submit the following argument, as put forth by Bloom County's Milo Bloom and Binkley (circa 1987, emphasis is same as original):

Bloom: Ah! Care for a refreshing cola, Mr. Binkley?
Binkley: Certainly, Mr. Bloom. But which cola to choose?
Bloom: Consider, sir, that Pepsi commercials star Michael J. Fox and Michael Jackson.
Binkley: Point of order. Jackson will not actually drink soda pop.
Bloom: True. And both Bill Cosby and Max Headroom personally endorse Coke.
Binkley: Yet the president the Pepsi Co. has written a book describing the Coke Co. as being run by fizz-heads.
Bloom: Counterpoint: the head of Coke has done the same in reverse.
Binkley: Say...where do you go for your cola news?
Bloom: Why, "USA Today," of course...for thoughtful daily coverage.
Binkley: I myself am an "Entertainment Tonight" man.
Bloom: The dilemma remains. Coke or Pepsi? Or do we overlook an even more vital national issue?
Binkley: Yes. Both taste like malted battery acid.
Bloom: Milk, then?
Binkley: Lovely! Whole or skim?

And there you have it. Coke obviously wins, since Michael Jackson sponsored Pepsi, and we all know what happened to him. QED.

:hooray

Game on,

11-21-2003 at 05:08 AM
Schik
I just got smoked. :cigar

Best response I can come up with is... "Yeah? well... at least there'a Pepsi smiley!!!" You win. :?

11-21-2003 at 05:13 AM
Oneiromancer
Oh yeah?!? Well, your mother's a...oh, wait. I win? Well, that's one way to stop a flame war. I guess I'll savor my...victory. Hmmm, why is it not as sweet as it should be? Oh yeah, that's because it's Coke. (And the circle is...complete. :wolverine )

Oh, here's a smiley for you: :punk

Game on,

11-21-2003 at 05:19 AM
Oneiromancer
I just have to ask this: these smilies are called "mama" :mama and "rock" :rock . WTF? :huh

Game on,

11-21-2003 at 05:21 AM
Schik
My only excuse is that I didn't name them.

11-21-2003 at 05:33 AM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Ooh, smilies... :group

I liked the old :devil better, tho.
11-21-2003 at 04:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
You know, the :twak one now looks very flat compared to all the rest - I still think the animation's great but maybe we can update it to the nicer colors; what format do the smilies come in?

[Edited by eytanz on 11-21-2003 at 07:55 PM GMT]

11-21-2003 at 07:54 PM
Schik
yeah, it looks really bad. The smilies are all animated gifs, and if anybody has the tools, skill, and time to make twak (and tar baby) look like the others, please go for it.

11-21-2003 at 07:55 PM
eytanz
The tar baby's not nearly as bad because it's a different color, so it doesn't look like in needs to conform nearly as much.

11-21-2003 at 07:58 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Smilies
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com