Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Branching stories.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Branching stories. (0)  
I kind of liked Sokko's inadvertant story fork over in the "Construct The Story" thread. I know he was just joking, and it is a bit impractical to write story branches in different topics, but it got me thinking... If we had some story-creating web software where you could write in branches, you guys would probably use it, right? Maybe there is something good out there already that we could install on the server without much effort.

Not sure if I want to get into MUD or Wiki territory, but something simple that just let you interactively read through a branching story and optionally add a new branch to it. That would be kind of cool, eh?

-Erik

10-04-2003 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Branching stories. (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
I kind of liked Sokko's inadvertant story fork over in the "Construct The Story" thread. I know he was just joking, and it is a bit impractical to write story branches in different topics, but it got me thinking... If we had some story-creating web software where you could write in branches, you guys would probably use it, right? Maybe there is something good out there already that we could install on the server without much effort.

Not sure if I want to get into MUD or Wiki territory, but something simple that just let you interactively read through a branching story and optionally add a new branch to it. That would be kind of cool, eh?

-Erik

Quite, Erik, but maybe we need to introduce a rule on when you can branch. I'd like to see my story branch and take on various new forms as it changes, but we can't have people just adding branches to it anywhere they like, and as often as they like.

What do you think?

10-05-2003 at 12:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Re: Branching stories. (0)  
agaricus5 wrote:
Quite, Erik, but maybe we need to introduce a rule on when you can branch. I'd like to see my story branch and take on various new forms as it changes, but we can't have people just adding branches to it anywhere they like, and as often as they like.

What do you think?
I think whoever begins a story may preface it with whatever rules they like and rely on people to honorably follow them. Perhaps existing software allows for a person to act as a moderator, but I don't think it should be a large problem either way.

-Erik

10-05-2003 at 12:11 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
I think you should probably have a new board for stories, DROD role-playing, etc. I don't know about anyone else, but I really have no interest in reading those topics. I think I'm just too elitist on that subject. :P Anyway, having a board dedicated to this kind of thing would make story brances not so big a deal, because they wouldn't get mixed up with a bunch of other unrelated topics.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-05-2003 at 06:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Oneiromancer wrote:
I think you should probably have a new board for stories, DROD role-playing, etc. I don't know about anyone else, but I really have no interest in reading those topics. I think I'm just too elitist on that subject. :P Anyway, having a board dedicated to this kind of thing would make story brances not so big a deal, because they wouldn't get mixed up with a bunch of other unrelated topics.

Game on,
Elitist?

10-05-2003 at 11:23 AM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
:D
10-05-2003 at 06:03 PM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
Oneiromancer wrote:
I think you should probably have a new board for stories, DROD role-playing, etc.

Speaking of role-playing, we could probably work on plans for DROD-Style Dungeons and Dragons idea that I posted on the Development board, that is, if there is a new board.

http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=1014

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

10-05-2003 at 11:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Branching stories.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com