Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Nomic (The classic game of rule-modification.)
Page 5 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
IP: Logged
icon Re: Nomic (0)  
I said might for a reason. There is no absolute correctness there, it's a judgement call.

also, we did not introduce a loophole in 301. 301 would not need to be amended or revoked to draft a new rule which says "non-players may not take any action related to the game except as explicitly permitted."

[Last edited by silver at 05-05-2007 01:26 AM]
05-05-2007 at 01:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
I never said the loophole was in 301. The loophole is in the ruleset as a whole, but may be fixed by amending 301 to state that joining may only be preformed in 301, or as you suggest, which I did not see. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember anything blocking simply bypassing 301 existing. And I was clarifying the correct interpretation of the rules by me, the current judge.

[Last edited by Sillyman at 05-05-2007 01:35 AM]
05-05-2007 at 01:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
As a matter of fact, he's right. The rules clearly state that nothing is explicitly disallowed.
05-05-2007 at 03:31 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
although, arguably, that only applies to players, because it's a given meta-rule of all games that non-players are non-entities. however, I'm giving him this without argument for now. (my notes in the previous message were directed towards different things - the first paragraph was about 305, the second was about the need to amend 301).

05-05-2007 at 03:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
silver wrote:
although, arguably, that only applies to players, because it's a given meta-rule of all games that non-players are non-entities. however, I'm giving him this without argument for now. (my notes in the previous message were directed towards different things - the first paragraph was about 305, the second was about the need to amend 301).
There is, or should be, nothing implied. Implied rules cannot be modified. The creator stated that he had in mind to make everything explicit, and thus modifiable when he made the ruleset. And I knew that your notes are directed towards different things. If you were to invoke judgement right now if he did that, I would have been the judge.

[Last edited by Sillyman at 05-07-2007 07:36 AM]
05-07-2007 at 07:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 5 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Nomic (The classic game of rule-modification.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com