Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Nomic (The classic game of rule-modification.)
Page 1 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
IP: Logged
icon Nomic (+2)  
Well, I was wondering if anyone here would like to play a game of Nomic. Just post here and indicate that you would like to play to sign up. The rules are as follows, and shall be kept track of in this post:

Players (By turn order):
Chaco: 5
Coppro: 10
Ravon: 11
silver: 12
Sillyman: 0
Stigant: 0

We are in the first complete circuit of turns.

Immutable Rules

Click here to view the secret text

Mutable Rules - current count: 16

Click here to view the secret text

current status:
it is Stigant's turn. We are in "reasonable discussion period" for proposal 305.

Neathro is barred from attempting to join again by 301 until May 16th, but if he notices this opportunity, he may join.

[Last edited by Sillyman at 05-07-2007 07:38 AM]
04-07-2007 at 07:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: Nomic (0)  
I've seen better variations of nomic than nomic. the basic problem with nomic is the lack of initial goal.
my favorite was a game kind of like spades (but with no trump) where you get a point for each trick, play to 100 points.
but if you take a trick with a card < 5, you can impose rule changes which take effect next hand (i.e. "clubs are trump" or such). my memory of that game is poor, though, because it seems to be lacking a reason to pick one rule over another (since you don't know what your next hand is yet).
anyway, just random brainstorming. I can try nomic. but I'm honestly unsure why the best strategy isn't to just vote "no" to any and all changes forever and always, amen.

04-07-2007 at 08:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
There is a goal... the goal is to achieve 200 (Positive) points. And voting No doesn't work very well when everybody does it.

04-07-2007 at 08:07 AM
silver
oh, I think that's different than the variation I originally read. probably someone trying to address my original problem with it :)

04-07-2007 at 08:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
It's 100 if you play face to face, but points are in lesser numbers then, due to different scoring mechanisms.

04-07-2007 at 08:51 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I'd suggest modifying the rules referring to surnames.

Anyway, in.
04-07-2007 at 08:59 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
I'd suggest modifying the rules referring to surnames.
you may do so after the game starts. :-)
(I assume you actually mean that few of actually know each other's surnames. And I would vote to change this to account names instead, were you to propose such a rule change and also the requisite rule change that we can change rules before the game starts)

I'm in as well.

04-07-2007 at 03:52 PM
Ravon
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
Heh, I was just thinking of starting a DROD forum nomic, but then realized that I had never played, and would probably utterly fail at running it.

I'll play, but don't expect me to be any good... ;)
04-07-2007 at 09:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Heh. Whoops. I'll change that to account names. ;)

Edit: So, shall we start and if anyone more wants to play, change the rules to let them in, or should we continue signups for a few more days?

[Last edited by Sillyman at 04-07-2007 10:15 PM]
04-07-2007 at 10:13 PM
Sillyman
Okay. The game has started. Turn order: Coppro, Ravon, Sillyman, silver, Stigant. It's Coppro's turn now.

[Last edited by Sillyman at 04-09-2007 09:40 PM]
04-09-2007 at 09:35 PM
coppro
Proposal 301:

Rule Enactment: A non-player may create a petition to join at any stage of the proceedings. When this happens, before the next player makes his/her proposal, all must vote on the addition. If a two-thirds majority vote for the player joining, the player is immediately added to the game, and may take an additional turn immediately after the next player's turn. If the majority is not reached, the player may not again propose for a period of two (2) weeks.

(A new player may get two turns in a row under this rule set, as per rule 201)
04-10-2007 at 01:15 AM
coppro
Is it intended that there is currently no way to gain points?
04-10-2007 at 01:17 AM
Sillyman
No. Rule 202, step 2, should have stated that the number calculated is added to your score. Sorry about that, it has been changed. I vote yes for the proposal.

[Last edited by Sillyman at 04-10-2007 01:26 AM]
04-10-2007 at 01:25 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Proposal 302:

Taking advantage of the "at any stage" clause of proposal 301, I wish to create a petition for the addition of 1 Chaco (type: forum member (subtype: architect)) to this game.

[Last edited by Chaco at 04-10-2007 02:00 AM]
04-10-2007 at 02:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Per 111, I'm waiting for coppro to decide "a reasonable period for debate has passed" so that he may propose a final version of 301 before I vote on 301. I have no argument with 301 as currently stated.
(as a side note, though I do not consider this a rule or a rule change at this time, I simply believe that in a forum-implementation, a "reasonable period for debate" should be somewhat longish to ensure all the players have had a chance to speak up)

---

301 hasn't been enacted yet, so 302 is a non-proposition and I'm not voting on it :)

[Last edited by silver at 04-10-2007 02:16 AM]
04-10-2007 at 02:12 AM
stigant
I'm fine with a period of debate, though I think in the interest of moving things along, we should also allow pre-yes votes in the case that no ammendments are added in the due course of discussion which will thereupon count as yes votes.

I vote pre-yes on proposition 301, forthwith.

[Last edited by stigant at 04-10-2007 03:16 AM]
04-10-2007 at 03:16 AM
coppro
Chaco wrote:
Proposal 302:

Taking advantage of the "at any stage" clause of proposal 301, I wish to create a petition for the addition of 1 Chaco (type: forum member (subtype: architect)) to this game.
It's not passed yet.

So far, it does not seem like Sillyman or stigant have any qualms with the proposal. I can't tell about silver. The proposal will go to vote in it's current form in 48 hours, or when everyone else has stated that they do not have a conflict (I assume that stigant and Sillyman do not), unless someone else raises and issue.

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, the following would be legal, right? "When a rule with a digit 1 in it's ordinal is transmuted, all mutable rules with a digit 4 in their ordinals are repealed, then if this rule is immutable, it is transmuted to mutable, and then this rule is repealed"

[Last edited by coppro at 04-10-2007 03:43 AM]
04-10-2007 at 03:35 AM
stigant
I don't see why not. Any objections/clarifications of the effect of a rule can be hashed out in the debate portion, but once we all say, "Yeah, that could work" and approve it, I don't see why those sorts of effects couldn't be caried out.

04-10-2007 at 04:03 AM
Sillyman
By the way, the current form of proposal 301 would not require or allow a numbered proposal for the addition of players. Just a player requesting to join, and the current players stating their approval or disapproval. And my vote of yes takes effect as soon as the final form of the proposal is passed.

04-10-2007 at 05:41 AM
coppro
I'm adding a text about the extra turn taking precedence, so that it works as intended.

Rule Enactment Proposal 301: A non-player may create a petition to join at any stage of the proceedings. When this happens, before the next player makes his/her proposal, all must vote on the addition. If a two-thirds majority vote for the player joining, the player is immediately added to the game, and may take an additional turn immediately after the next player's turn. This extra turn takes precedence over all other rules that determine turn order. If the majority is not reached, the player may not again propose for a period of two (2) weeks.
04-10-2007 at 08:26 AM
silver
coppro wrote:
EDIT: Just out of curiosity, the following would be legal, right? "When a rule with a digit 1 in it's ordinal is transmuted, all mutable rules with a digit 4 in their ordinals are repealed, then if this rule is immutable, it is transmuted to mutable, and then this rule is repealed"

yes, though under rule 111, we could argue against it passionately as consisting of two or more rule changes compounded (in fact, under 103 and 104, that might make it invalid in form and thus not able to be voted on. 103 has an "or" in it which might make this rule not legit)

[Last edited by silver at 04-10-2007 08:32 AM]
04-10-2007 at 08:31 AM
coppro
silver wrote:

yes, though under rule 111, we could argue against it passionately as consisting of two or more rule changes compounded (in fact, under 103 and 104, that might make it invalid in form and thus not able to be voted on. 103 has an "or" in it which might make this rule not legit)
While this is true, it says nowhere that a rule cannot consist of two rules. Just look at rule number 212.
04-10-2007 at 08:39 AM
Sillyman
My vote of yes stands. Votes: 4 for, 0 against, 5 or inactivity to enact.

[Last edited by Sillyman at 04-10-2007 11:35 AM]
04-10-2007 at 09:22 AM
silver
203 says "any of the following" but not "any or several of the following" :)

anyway. I tentatively vote "yes" on proposition 301 provided it doesn't change text :)

04-10-2007 at 09:31 AM
coppro
My vote is yes.

Hmm... next we should probably enact a rule about time delays. As is, we are completely stuck until Ravon comes next - that would not be fun if we had to halt the game as a result of someone being gone (I'm not saying Ravon won't post, just that if anyone goes away or something, the game grinds to a halt without them).
04-10-2007 at 09:36 AM
Sillyman
coppro wrote:
Hmm... next we should probably enact a rule about time delays. As is, we are completely stuck until Ravon comes next - that would not be fun if we had to halt the game as a result of someone being gone (I'm not saying Ravon won't post, just that if anyone goes away or something, the game grinds to a halt without them).
As this rule-change is necessary to play and the game has just recently begun, I have changed the rules to make a week-long delay skip ones turn and cause a vote of "Abstain".

04-10-2007 at 11:43 AM
Sillyman
silver wrote:
203 says "any of the following" but not "any or several of the following" :)
That's a rule change. The suggested possible proposal makes a rule with the suggested text. Rules may have any effect, as long as they are not overwritten by other rules.

04-10-2007 at 11:48 AM
coppro
Okay, the proposal is up to vote.

Vote: yes
04-12-2007 at 12:14 AM
Sillyman
The votes still stand. 4 For, 0 Against, 5 to enact.

The proposal will close in negative 887 weeks, 2 days

04-12-2007 at 12:47 AM
Ravon
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
Sorry about taking so long, everythings been a bit hectic recently.

Anyway, I vote yes on rule proposal 301. However, I'm still trying to come up with a new rule to propose, it may be a day or so. Sorry 'bout that.
04-12-2007 at 09:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Nomic (The classic game of rule-modification.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com