Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Murderous Citizens. (Is this a bug?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Tablesaw
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 33
IP: Logged
icon Murderous Citizens. (+1)  
I haven't made it all the way through the hold yet, so this could be intentional.

If Beethro is standing on a location that a Citizen would normally move to on its first move (when it changes from grey to whatever color), the citizen moves there anyway and Beethro dies.

In TCB:The City:3N4W, standing on 5,31 on turn 1 will kill Beethro. This is true whether you move into the space or wait there.

Citizens are generally so courteous to Beethro that this behavior seems unusual.

04-05-2007 at 09:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
icon Re: Murderous Citizens. (0)  
Looks like they got annoyed of Beethro bumping into all those citizens in that room with hundreds of them :P

04-05-2007 at 09:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
Tablesaw wrote:
In TCB:The City:3N4W, standing on 5,31 on turn 1 will kill Beethro. This is true whether you move into the space or wait there.
I've found that this doesn't *always* happen - sometimes, when I enter the room from below, I'll get killsteppedon by the nearest Citizen, sometimes not... :huh

np: Death Cab For Cutie - Brothers On A Hotel Bed (Plans)

04-05-2007 at 10:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Briareos wrote:
Tablesaw wrote:
I've found that this doesn't *always* happen - sometimes, when I enter the room from below, I'll get killsteppedon by the nearest Citizen, sometimes not... :huh
I can't get it to happen either.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-05-2007 at 10:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
mrimer wrote:
I can't get it to happen either.
This works for me:

How to get Beethro mugged by a random Citizen - an 8 point programme

* Enter The City: 3N 4W on (20,31).
* Step east - most probably Beethro isn't killed.
* Hit Undo.
* Wait once or twice until the Citizen above Beethro steps southeast.
* Hit Undo again, notice the Citizen stays where he is (Undo bug?)
* Hit Restart.
* Step east, get Beethro killed. Wait for the room to restart or hit Undo or Restart, step east again, get killed again.
* To stop this, wait twice, then Restart - the game is back to not killing Beethro.

np: Styrofoam - There Is No Rest (A Short Album About Murder)

[Last edited by Briareos at 04-06-2007 10:25 AM]
04-06-2007 at 10:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Well your defiantly listening to the right music
04-06-2007 at 12:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
I was playing around with it for a bit, and it seems that when a citizen does it's first move (when it decides its colour) is when it will not avoid moving on top of you.

04-07-2007 at 08:09 AM
Briareos
Kevin_P86 wrote:
I was playing around with it for a bit, and it seems that when a citizen does it's first move (when it decides its colour) is when it will not avoid moving on top of you.
So how come I'm not getting killed all the time, as per my instructions above? I can even leave the room while doing what I wrote above and will be killed/not killed accordingly when I return... :(

np: Death Cab For Cutie - Why You'd Want To Live Here (The Showbox, Seattle 5.08.04) (The John Byrd E.P.)

04-07-2007 at 11:20 AM
Tablesaw
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 33

File: TCB The City 3N4W Death 4.zip (19.2 KB)
Downloaded 19 times.
License: Public Domain
Here's a new wrinkle. Before submitting this as a bug, I thought I tested this by getting Beethro killed a few times without fail. I have deaths set to be recorded as demos, so I looked over them again. Beethro no longer dies when I watch the demos (attached).

04-07-2007 at 03:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Tablesaw wrote:
Here's a new wrinkle. Before submitting this as a bug, I thought I tested this by getting Beethro killed a few times without fail. I have deaths set to be recorded as demos, so I looked over them again. Beethro no longer dies when I watch the demos (attached).
Yeah, it seems you have to get the game into some state where this happens (as by my instructions above), and just watching a demo doesn't...

np: Bracken - Safe Safe Safe (We Know About The Need)

04-07-2007 at 04:23 PM
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
Which means this is definitely a bug.

04-07-2007 at 10:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
Briareos wrote:
Kevin_P86 wrote:
So how come I'm not getting killed all the time, as per my instructions above? I can even leave the room while doing what I wrote above and will be killed/not killed accordingly when I return... :(

np: Death Cab For Cutie - Why You'd Want To Live Here (The Showbox, Seattle 5.08.04) (The John Byrd E.P.)
I'm not sure. But when playing in the editor, I tried various configurations of citizens and relay stations, and every time I moved (as my first move) onto a square that the citizen was going to move, it moved there anyways and killed me.

04-08-2007 at 12:36 AM
mrimer
Kevin_P86 wrote:
Briareos wrote:
Kevin_P86 wrote:

I'm not sure. But when playing in the editor, I tried various configurations of citizens and relay stations, and every time I moved (as my first move) onto a square that the citizen was going to move, it moved there anyways and killed me.
Silly citizens...not watching where they are going... I've fixed this in 3.0.2. Also occasional changed citizen movement after undoing or pressing R.

04-23-2007 at 11:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
mrimer wrote:
Silly citizens...not watching where they are going... I've fixed this in 3.0.2. Also occasional changed citizen movement after undoing or pressing R.
Wait, hold on. "Occasional changed citizen movement"--does that mean there was a bug that caused citizens not to make the same move under the same circumstances? 'cause if it turns out that eytanz was unintentionally wrong when he said "there's nothing random about builders", I have to admit I'll be amused.
04-24-2007 at 12:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Tahnan wrote:
mrimer wrote:
Wait, hold on. "Occasional changed citizen movement"--does that mean there was a bug that caused citizens not to make the same move under the same circumstances? 'cause if it turns out that eytanz was unintentionally wrong when he said "there's nothing random about builders", I have to admit I'll be amused.
Nope, sorry. Nothing random about builders.

04-24-2007 at 12:23 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Oh. Er, so what does "occasional changed citizen movement" mean?
04-24-2007 at 02:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Tahnan wrote:
Oh. Er, so what does "occasional changed citizen movement" mean?
After undo, in certain situations, citizens' pathmaps were not being updated.

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-24-2007 03:05 AM]
04-24-2007 at 03:04 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Murderous Citizens. (Is this a bug?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com