Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : The Legend of Zelda
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Legend of Zelda (relocated from General Board) (0)  
I didn't think Mario Sunshine was too hard...the only real memorable exception being that one level where you have to clear all the paint from the beach. That took me frigging forever.

And of course dying because the camera is stupid doesn't count either.

I really liked the "bonus" stages where you don't have the water thing...the ones which really hearkened back to Mario 64 and the older SMB games. They were hard in a good way, and yes I died a lot there but extra lives were so plentiful it was no big deal.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-31-2003 at 10:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
The bonus stages are what I meant by dying. Some of those are real tricky, although cool. They frustrated the hell out of me, but I enjoyed working out how I was supposed to get all the way over there.

I don't think I've died once due to poor camera controls, but then I have a fondness for crappy platformers so maybe I've learned to stay away from walls. About the worst that's happened is not being able to see the blue coin, so I just guess.

I loved the beach-covered-in-paint episode. I enjoy clearing paint, and go back to that one occasionally.

Final stage. Took me forever.

Matt

12-31-2003 at 11:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Heh, I think I went through the final stage the first time in like 20 minutes. It wasn't nearly as hard as the boss stages in Mario 64, the first time through, I felt. Of course on the Mario 64 boss stages eventually I was able to get all the red coins the first time through in 5 minutes total or something like that, due to constant playing. God, I loved that game. It's amazing that basically the first real 3D platformer is still one of the best.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-31-2003 at 11:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Woo hoo! Just beat Mario Sunshine! Great game.

...now to go find the other half of those blue coins...

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-01-2004 at 01:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Here's a list of the 2003 videogame awards from Famous Magazine, available at Famous Players theatres in Canada (and the U.S.?):

Best Game: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Best Script: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Best Hero: Voodoo Vince

Best Graphics: Viewtiful Joe

Best Weapon: Grabbed By The Ghoulies (in a vampire game, it's a garlic-firing blunderbuss)

Best Wish Fulfillment: The Simpsons: Hit & Run

Best Evidence that Game Designers Don't Have Girlfriends: Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball

Best Missed Opportunity: Pirates of the Caribbean

Worst Game: Aquaman: Battle for Atlantis.

List assembled by Mark Magee for Famous Magazine, and all that legal citing crap.

01-02-2004 at 05:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rare have a talent for really cool weapons. Take a look at Jet Force Gemini for the N64.

Of course, Ratchet and Clank 2 comes in a close second with cool weapons.

Matt

01-02-2004 at 08:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jdyer
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 329
Be sure to try Zelda Classic at some point. It's a port to PC of the first NES Zelda with a level editor, and predictably lots of people have been cranking levels out:

http://zeldaclassic.armageddongames.net/

For Gamecube, try finding a copy of Pikmin. Lots of puzzly elements.

I also have Zoocube, which is called a 'puzzle game' but is more like a 'action arcade game with abstract elements'. All you do is match like animals so there's no real puzzle mechanic going on.
01-03-2004 at 07:42 PM
Mattcrampy
jdyer wrote:
Be sure to try Zelda Classic at some point. It's a port to PC of the first NES Zelda with a level editor, and predictably lots of people have been cranking levels out:

It's also adware, and won't work if you remove the adware via Ad-aware or something like that.

Much better to just buy a Game Boy.

Matt

01-11-2004 at 06:46 AM
bradwall
Rank Points: 423
I can never seem to get this Zelda classic downloaded and working properly. I constantly get issues with trying to start the game (if I can even get the download to work). I really like the game and with that I could get it to work on my system.
01-12-2004 at 04:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Eh, I'm right with Zelda. I've been able to play all of them on their original systems, with the exception of Link to the Past. Didn't finish them all on their original systems, though.

Matt

01-12-2004 at 05:35 PM
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
You guys are making me want to play Wind Waker agian. In fact, I still haven't got all those darn POH's... Wind Waker, here I come.
01-12-2004 at 10:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
I really like the wallet size in Wind Waker. I think that was the neatest addition.

Dang, now I want to go play Wind Waker too.

Matt

01-12-2004 at 10:36 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
I think the neatest addition to Wind Waker was the map necessity that the Sea Chart (and other sea charts) threw in there.

And the best thing was getting rid of the annoying fairies that trailed you. Even though the rock got annoying at times...but that's okay.

01-13-2004 at 05:45 AM
SKWERLL
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
icon Re: The Legend of Zelda (relocated from General Board) (+1)  
OK, in the first Zelda I beat the first quest, but I'm sorta stuck in the master quest 'cuz I keep getting killed. I've (sadly) never played the second Zelda, and I have the GBA version of Link to the Past and my best "score" is winning after getting killed and/or shutting off my GBA either 009 or 010 times (the GBA version has a special sleep mode). And yes, the 3rd one (Link to the Past) has a gr8 replay value but is really easy. I dont have Awakening (#4) or either of the GBC games. I beat Ocarina a bunch of times, but Ganondorf is still hard....
For some reason I got bored in the middle of Majora's Mask and didn't go ahead and beat the game. In wind waker I can't seem to find how to get in the second temple, so I'm stuck.

I beat Mario 64, but it took me like 2 YEARS after that to get all 120 stars, but I got them stars when I was 9 or 10 (I'm 11 now), so I guess it can't be THAT bad...

The best hold in the world!
07-06-2004 at 08:15 PM
jdyer
Mattcrampy wrote:
jdyer wrote:
It's also adware, and won't work if you remove the adware via Ad-aware or something like that.

I *finally* realized what you were talking about here. Apparently some people distributed 'alternate' versions of the game on the internet loaded with junk. Kind of like adding viruses, but more evil because it makes people think the original has the same problem (while with a virus people just presume it isn't a fresh copy).

The original is ad-free.
09-04-2004 at 07:10 AM
Stuwy
Rank Points: 212
Gah, thanks to guys talking about Zelda, I have the urge to play Ocarina of Time again.

Speaking of Zelda, there's a new one in develpment right now.
09-04-2004 at 07:38 AM
DiMono
Man, back from the dead. I just got reminded of my Time Attack videos of the first couple Zelda games. Dude finished the entire game in half an hour. Then some other guy completed the second (harder) quest of the same game without a sword (he dies in the end, not having a sword for the end guy whatsisname). I'm gonna go watch them, now that I have the theme stuck in my head.

09-04-2004 at 05:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stuwy
Rank Points: 212
DiMono wrote:
Man, back from the dead. I just got reminded of my Time Attack videos of the first couple Zelda games

Where can you get those videos? I saw the one with one guy beating SMB3 in 11 minutes, but not the Zelda one.
09-06-2004 at 06:06 AM
DiMono
icon Re: The Legend of Zelda (relocated from General Board) (+1)  
Stuwy wrote:
DiMono wrote:
Man, back from the dead. I just got reminded of my Time Attack videos of the first couple Zelda games
Where can you get those videos? I saw the one with one guy beating SMB3 in 11 minutes, but not the Zelda one.
http://bisqwit.iki.fi/jutut/nesvideos/

09-06-2004 at 06:13 AM
Oneiromancer
icon Re: The Legend of Zelda (0)  
Hey, if anyone here picks up the new Zelda for the GBA, The Minish Cap, post a review! I'm interested in buying it at some point, but it will be a while before I work my way through all the other games on my plate.

Game on,

01-12-2005 at 09:56 PM
bradwall
Rank Points: 423
icon Re: The Legend of Zelda (+1)  
There is a good freeware clone of Zelda for the PC at:
http://zeldaclassic.com/

01-12-2005 at 10:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Zmann
Rank Points: 241
Oneiromancer wrote:
Hey, if anyone here picks up the new Zelda for the GBA, The Minish Cap, post a review! I'm interested in buying it at some point, but it will be a while before I work my way through all the other games on my plate.

Game on,

Woah, didn't know that even was out. Just read up on it, and it apparently came out on the 10th. Well, I just asked for that for my birthday (16th of January), so expect a review soon.

This may even be the last 2-D Zelda game. All the platforms are 3-D now, even the handhelds (DS). I hate to say it, but it might be true. It seems like gamers these days just don't appriciate a good 2-D game, so Nintendo will probably be forced to make 3-D games. Sad, but it may be true.

But anyway, back to the Misish Cap. That game looks great. I've always loved the GameBoy Zeldas, and this one looks no different. And have you seen those graphics. Really classy!
01-13-2005 at 03:20 AM
Ikku
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
I appreciate good 2D games, but I don't appreciate bad ones. *cough*GBAMetroids*cough*

This game certainly looks interesting though.
01-13-2005 at 04:48 AM
Abbyzzmal
Rank Points: 348
icon Re: The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (+2)  
I played Minish Cap a month or two ago as a birthday present to myself, and it was one of the best ones I've ever given/received. However, I've never been much for presents, so I'll put it in more objective terms.

Minish Cap carries on the tradition of the Gameboy Zelda games, which are, in my opinion, some of the finest in the series. They play differently than their console brethren; I attribute this to the fact that the sword is detachable, that it can be unequipped. Also, like Majora's Mask, the gameboy games have a less mythic plot, where the main character is some guy trying to get by and not the "legendary hero." They all have plots completely isolated from the rest of the series, and that is why I find them somewhat more enjoyable.

Anyway, I'll write a review. I've never written a video game review before, so I'll devide up characteristics. That sounds like a good strategy.

Story: It is your basic save the princess/world story, only with funny hats. And as the title suggests, the funny hats are important to the story. It's well written although not spectacular. Certainly good enough to be entertaining. I'll quantify: I'd give it a 6.5/10, just because there's nothing in the story that seems like it isn't just an excuse for the gameplay.

Gameplay: New items, a few minigames, trading sequences you'll probably never complete, sword techniques, microscopic detail; this is the stuff that fun games are made of. However, my only qualm: I said this was my birthday present to myself, and that one day, my birthday, was long enough to get through most of the game. On the other hand, it was addictive enough that I couldn't put it down the entire day. I don't think it's too short, actually, but for someone who's played similar games before, it won't take very long, unless you complete all the other stuff that I didn't bother with. Also, I found the final boss to be a challenge, at least until I figured some things out. All in all, I'd say 9.5/10.

Graphics: Similar to that Four Swords thing that I didn't play. There's probably a lot of gameplay stuff left over from that game too, some to think of it. Anyway, the game is pretty and detailed. For a Gameboy game, it would be hard to ask for anything more. 10/10.

Sound: All the Gameboy Zelda games have had a different staff than the console versions, but in the past the substitutes for Koji Kondo have done an admirable job. Link's Awakening had a marvelous soundtrack (considering the hardware), and the other GBC games' soundtracks were similar. The sound in this game, though, sounded much too. . . refined. Nothing distinctive. Nothing interesting. The only thing that stood out are the annoying sound effects that accompany character speech. As always the great Koji was in the credits as Music Consultant or somesuch, and there are references to some of the musical ideas of previous games, but all in all, if you played with the sound off, you wouldn't be missing much. 6/10.

I can't think of any other criteria, so I'll just say that it's very enjoyable, although perhaps a bit formulaic. It's no Majora's Mask or Wind Waker, which I regard as the most artistic (in different ways) of the series, but it is a nice diversion. I'd say, were I to give a numeric rating of the game as a whole, that I'd give it an 8.5 out of 10, even if the above numbers don't quite add up to that (checking. . . they don't).

So there's a review. I left out anything really specific, but basically, if you like Zelda games, you might as well play this one.
01-13-2005 at 06:50 AM
Mattcrampy
Re: GBA Metroids; If I ever manage to infiltrate Nintendo I swear I can get a Super Metroid II up. After careful consideration, I'm pretty sure that the teams who currently develop Metroids haven't quite captured what really makes the Metroid series: betrayal.

I don't mean, 'ha, you thought you were scot free and now you aren't'. Super Metroid in particular did this, but even Zero Mission managed it (once). It's when the game reminds you that you are in enemy territory and it is not there to help you out. Sudden boss fights are but one way to do it: Super Metroid also does things like forcing you to go into a new area to get a power-up, but then making everything else in that area inaccessable, or even damaging; shutting off the areas you've visited, after the game seems to promise that you're allowed to go back to them; and the constant habit of throwing you into an area where the only way out is through the power-up you need to get, but only tell you about it five rooms in. Fusion, as far as I'm aware, never did it;
Click here to view the secret text
and Zero Mission did it once;
Click here to view the secret text

The increasing tightening up of the games to curtail sequence breaking and the increasing telegraphing of future sequences seems to spell the death-knell for the Metroid series as we know it, because it's a very hard thing to do betrayal without it being cheap or obvious. It's very much against the rules to make a game where the player is at war with the game and the rules of the game can change at the game's convenience, and can (and should) be broken by the player. It's also probably why no-one's matched Super Metroid. But that's just my theory.

I talk way too much about Metroid.

I think I mentioned somewhere that I reckon the new Zelda will suffer from the same problems as Wind Waker - easy boss fights and the majority of substance coming from the side-quests. In case I didn't, it's because the new lead designer of the Zelda games has pretty much publically stated that he doesn't get combat. On the other hand, it means that the Zelda games are going to do that thing where all of the dungeons feel like small stories of their own as well as being part of the larger quest, which is my favourite thing about Ocarina and this guy's first task on the Ocarina design.

Matt

[Edited by Mattcrampy at Local Time:01-13-2005 at 09:24 AM: fixed secret tag]

01-13-2005 at 09:18 AM
Oneiromancer
The new Zelda game has a trailer available from IGN:

http://media.cube.ign.com/media/572/572738/vids_1.html

Looks pretty sweet, I can't wait for it to come out!

Game on,

03-10-2005 at 09:25 PM
Mattcrampy
It does indeed. Reservations still intact, but I still thought Wind Waker was cool. And hey, it's coming out next year! For me. Grumble grumble.

Matt

03-14-2005 at 05:13 AM
MasterGiga
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 67
Aw, I'm very late in joining this topic. I'm a big fan of the Zelda series.

But does anyone else think that Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link was just horrible. It had a whole new combat system with Exp...and it was plain out hard to play through. I did make it to the end though...but that's it. Didn't complete the game.

Can't wait until the Second Legend of Zelda for the Gamecube! Thanks for correcting me Oneiromancer :D

[Edited by MasterGiga at Local Time:03-28-2005 at 06:00 AM]

03-27-2005 at 11:42 PM
jdyer
MasterGiga wrote:
But does anyone else think that Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link was just horrible. It had a whole new combat system with Exp...and it was plain out hard to play through. I did make it to the end though...but that's it. Didn't complete the game.

Ah yes, the eternal Zelda 2 debate. I imagine if you popped this message in a Zelda-only forum they would think you were trolling. :D

Anyhow, Zelda 2 can be decent on its own terms, compared to other side-scrolling games of the era. However, the style difference between 2 and the rest of the Zelda games makes most comparison discussions dive into absurdity; it's like asking whether Tetris or DOOM is the better game.
03-28-2005 at 01:25 AM
Oneiromancer
MasterGiga wrote:

I enjoyed Zelda 2, and I did beat it...it really felt like an accomplishment. I guess I was already fond of RPG-type games, so I didn't really have any complaints. I like it when game series try new things.

Can't wait until the Legend of Zelda for the Gamecube!

You mean, until the second Zelda for the Gamecube? The Wind Waker's been out for a while, as we've discussed in this thread and others. Hopefully there won't be a "The Wind Waker isn't a real Zelda because of those graphics!" comments. But yeah, I'm looking forward to the next one as well.

Game on,

03-28-2005 at 01:53 AM
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : The Legend of Zelda
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com