Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : The City Beneath : Pirate Hideout : 4 North, 1 West (Last room on level)
Page 2 of 3
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
IP: Logged
icon Re: The City Beneath : Pirate Hideout : 4 North, 1 West (+1)  
Geiler Hengst wrote:
what is the battle key?
The plus key on the side of the keypad.
06-04-2007 at 07:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: The City Beneath : Pirate Hideout : 4 North, 1 West (0)  
Mattcrampy wrote:
I do hope Ed is using the battle key. Then he only has to worry about tactical mistakes.
I dunno, somehow I didn't have much use for it here...

Especially if you're hiding in a corner you have to keep doing QQWW to stay safe, so the battle key's QWQW doesn't help.

06-04-2007 at 09:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
xeipon
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 27
icon Re: The City Beneath : Pirate Hideout : 4 North, 1 West (+2)  
I did finally crack this room. Let me talk about my two
selves.

Self #1: Fast roach technique at 65% effectiveness. Could make slow progress on the room, but every trap door or save point required considerable time. Gave up multiple times. Many, many deaths a few rounds after a mistake -- causing the loss of much work. Finally managed to clear all but two trap doors after many hours. Then learned that one potion was a red herring, and all that work was for nothing. Considerable anger about a deliberately over-the-top brutal room.

Self #2: Fast roach clearing technique at 95% effectiveness. Progress on the room interesting. Never died. Fairly interesting room.

Extra save points could have really, really, really helped self #1.

My Self #2 self could write a nice note defending this room, about it not being that bad. My self #1 self would not like this note at all. Self #1 could not comprehend any defense of this room. Self #2 doesn't understand self #1's problem.

Here's one of the techniques that made all the difference
for me. Self #2 technique.
Start Beeth Beeth Roach Beeth Beeth
RRR.. RRR.. RRR.. .RRR. .RRR. .RR-B
RRR-B RR-B. RR.-B .RR-B .R-B. .R...

Self #1 technique. See how slow this was?
Start Beeth Beeth Roach Beeth Beeth
RRR.. RRR\. RRR\. RRR\. RRR.. RRR\.
RRR-B RRR.B RRR.B .RRRB .RR-B .RR.B

06-05-2007 at 12:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
xeipon wrote:
Here's one of the techniques that made all the difference
for me. Self #2 technique.
Start  Beeth  Beeth  Roach  Beeth  Beeth
RRR..  RRR..  RRR..  .RRR.  .RRR.  .RR-B
RRR-B  RR-B.  RR.-B  .RR-B  .R-B.  .R...

Self #1 technique. See how slow this was?
Start  Beeth  Beeth  Roach  Beeth  Beeth
RRR..  RRR\.  RRR\.  RRR\.  RRR..  RRR\.
RRR-B  RRR.B  RRR.B  .RRRB  .RR-B  .RR.B
I believe you wanted a code tag (or rather two) in there... ;)

And congrats on solving the room. Although I would have stepped west then north in your self#2 technique. :D

06-05-2007 at 01:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
knightinarmor
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 6
need serious help on this room. after hours of mind numbing repetivness and not getting anywhere. dont understand previous hints
06-23-2007 at 03:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
Well, I think enough has been said, but here's the rundown:

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by tokyokid at 06-23-2007 03:59 PM]
06-23-2007 at 03:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
knightinarmor
sorry thats no help
06-23-2007 at 06:14 PM
bwross
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 376
knightinarmor wrote:
need serious help on this room. after hours of mind numbing repetivness and not getting anywhere. dont understand previous hints

You need to be aggressive, otherwise that's exactly what's going to happen in this room. You can't just sit back and deal with an entire wave of roaches and expect to then move on. Fortunately with a speed potion you don't have to... if you run away from an opponent, you gain ground on them, which is a substantial advantage because you very quickly gain enough turns to turn around to face them.

So what you need to do in this room is efficiently as possible deal with roaches (as close to one per turn as possible, it helps to count "1-2" and work out two move combos where the first move would normally be lethal). Then, when the path to where you need to go next only has a thin stream of only a few roaches coming out of it, break off and charge into them... you should be able to mow them down, get to the trapdoors and turn to a position to deal with the large swarm of roaches that are probably just starting to catch up. Hopefully, you'll have a position at that point where you've minimized the roach queens behind you for when they breed... because you'll probably be making slow progress out (in fact, look at the clock and if you don't have much time before they breed, hold back). You should be able to make slow progress against 4-wide columns coming against you to get back to the intersection and get ready to charge into another alcove.

Oh, and in case this helps, the alcove I drop trapdoors last for is:

[Last edited by bwross at 06-23-2007 07:38 PM]
06-23-2007 at 07:35 PM
knightinarmor
knightinarmor wrote:
bwross wrote:
knightinarmor wrote:

You need to be aggressive, otherwise that's exactly what's going to happen in this room. You can't just sit back and deal with an entire wave of roaches and expect to then move on. Fortunately with a speed potion you don't have to... if you run away from an opponent, you gain ground on them, which is a substantial advantage because you very quickly gain enough turns to turn around to face them.

So what you need to do in this room is efficiently as possible deal with roaches (as close to one per turn as possible, it helps to count "1-2" and work out two move combos where the first move would normally be lethal). Then, when the path to where you need to go next only has a thin stream of only a few roaches coming out of it, break off and charge into them... you should be able to mow them down, get to the trapdoors and turn to a position to deal with the large swarm of roaches that are probably just starting to catch up. Hopefully, you'll have a position at that point where you've minimized the roach queens behind you for when they breed... because you'll probably be making slow progress out (in fact, look at the clock and if you don't have much time before they breed, hold back). You should be able to make slow progress against 4-wide columns coming against you to get back to the intersection and get ready to charge into another alcove.

Oh, and in case this helps, the alcove I drop trapdoors last for is:

thankyou will give it a try,just not aggressive enough i guess

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 06-24-2007 01:13 AM]
06-23-2007 at 08:02 PM
Songsmith
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 38
I have been in this room for days now, and haven't even reached the first checkpoint yet. I'm so frustrated, annoyed, bored, fed-up, suicidal, determined to conquer it... take your pick - I've been all of them at various points.

Sorry, not really asking for help - I know what I need to do - just voicing my frustration and hoping the posting effect will work again!

Good luck to everyone else stuck in this room.
Jan

06-27-2007 at 10:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Songsmith wrote:
I have been in this room for days now, and haven't even reached the first checkpoint yet. I'm so frustrated, annoyed, bored, fed-up, suicidal, determined to conquer it... take your pick - I've been all of them at various points.

Sorry, not really asking for help - I know what I need to do - just voicing my frustration and hoping the posting effect will work again!

Good luck to everyone else stuck in this room.
Jan
This room isn't your typical 'oh, I see the trick now!' room. You complete it through lots of blood, sweat and tears. Lots of blood in particular.

My advice to your would be to, rather than trying to complete the room, muck around a bit so you get the feel of how it works, and watch out for the trap.
06-27-2007 at 12:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Songsmith
Rank Points: 38
Thanks Niroz. Finally finished it, yay!! (flags, whistles, cheering, etc. :thumbsup :thumbsup )
Maybe it was the posting effect... or maybe just sheer doggedness! But at least it's done. Onwards and upwards (or should that be 'downwards'?)
Jan

06-28-2007 at 10:28 AM
worm
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
Yeah, this is really a fortitude check more than anything. It's too bad no one has made an ez macro for it yet.
07-08-2007 at 03:06 AM
philb
Rank Points: 11
Ceci n'est pas une gāteau. One says : Ce n'est pas du gāteau. = It's not easy
11-23-2007 at 01:14 PM
philb
There are rooms I have enjoyed which have demanded thought. This room is just awful and pointless. I have dropped the traps at the bottom left and at the top right. I then go down with my back to the entrance and am able to stay in possition without difficulty, but each time I try to go left to drop the traps at the top left, the numbers are overwhelming. I've spent hours on this room and I really don't see the point. Has anyone got a demo just so that I can get out, please ?
11-23-2007 at 04:34 PM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2386

File: Diso TCB Pirate Hideout 4N1W Victory.demo (9.3 KB)
Downloaded 236 times.
License: Public Domain
philb wrote:
There are rooms I have enjoyed which have demanded thought. This room is just awful and pointless. I have dropped the traps at the bottom left and at the top right. I then go down with my back to the entrance and am able to stay in possition without difficulty, but each time I try to go left to drop the traps at the top left, the numbers are overwhelming. I've spent hours on this room and I really don't see the point. Has anyone got a demo just so that I can get out, please ?

Attached.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
11-23-2007 at 05:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
philb
Thanks very much. That helped. AFter many hours I finally cracked it. there really is no substitute for making every move count and being very patient.
11-25-2007 at 05:17 PM
Chaosgamer
Rank Points: 88

File: showroom.php.jpg (54.2 KB)
Downloaded 66 times.
License: Public Domain
Okay, I'm stuck at 1 and roaches from 2 and 3 are coming. I have two more trapdoors at 4 and 5. And I'm stuck at 6 and 1. By the time I reach 7 the roaches from 4 kill me. What can I do? :blowup

EDIT: I managed to get to the trapdoor 5 but then I get stuck beside the queen unable to kill it. Eventually the pile of roaches get bigger and bigger. Plus I lost speed and don't want to restart the room.

[Last edited by Chaosgamer at 05-03-2009 08:04 PM]
05-03-2009 at 07:56 PM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
First, did you take the speed poiton(I think you did but must make sure)?

If you did, then you can cut those roaches a little.

EDIT: Seeing your edit, I can tell you that there's a little trick in this room.

EDIT AGAIN: And if you're completely stuck, there's victory demo attached somewhere above your post.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 05-03-2009 08:07 PM]
05-03-2009 at 08:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaosgamer
:bangin :blowup :teamtwak :selftwak :toohard :doh :throw I hate this room. I've been trying for somewhat 15 to 20 hours and at least 3 hours a day.
I'm just going to work on my hold for a wile. How ever I will be checking for very useful hints for my situation.

EDIT: I restarted the room like 7 times! I'm still stuck at around 7 in my last attachment.

EDIT AGAIN:Okay took the SW potion but then got overwhelmed under the queen at 1,17

ANOTHER EDIT: okay, managed to get out but keep on getting overwhelmed before I can reach a corner.I also knew the trick but couldn't get out of 1,20. Well now I can but keep on getting overwhelmed at unsafe spots.

[Last edited by Chaosgamer at 05-03-2009 08:26 PM]
05-03-2009 at 08:12 PM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Chaosgamer wrote:
ANOTHER EDIT: okay, managed to get out but keep on getting overwhelmed before I can reach a corner.I also knew the trick but couldn't get out of 1,20. Well now I can but keep on getting overwhelmed at unsafe spots.

Well, just keep trying. Remember that it's also possible to cut roaches in 3-tile-wide passages without getting overwhelmed
05-03-2009 at 08:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
3-wide passages, and corners, too.

05-03-2009 at 09:07 PM
Briareos
Chaosgamer wrote:
I'm just going to work on my hold for a wile. How ever I will be checking for very useful hints for my situation.
Well, like mxvladi wrote - there's a victory demo attached a few posts up; if you're completely stuck, just download and watch it before you go totally nuts or something... ;)

05-03-2009 at 09:11 PM
Chaosgamer
I finally beat it! :thumbsup :lol :D :) :w00t thx to all of you!
05-05-2009 at 08:05 PM
Rinaldo
Rank Points: 50
I know this thread is long dormant, and no response is required, but I had to post somewhere (and if not here, where?) my joy at finally conquering this room! I truly was certain that I never never would, for the longest time. Whew!
08-18-2011 at 12:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mako
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 3
icon Re: The City Beneath : Pirate Hideout : 4 North, 1 West (-1)  
I NEED the moves listing!!!!!

06-30-2012 at 08:06 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Quote of a quote of a quote...
Briareos wrote:
Chaosgamer wrote:
Well, like mxvladi wrote - there's a victory demo attached a few posts up; if you're completely stuck, just download and watch it before you go totally nuts or something... ;)

06-30-2012 at 08:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mako
icon Re: The City Beneath : Pirate Hideout : 4 North, 1 West (-3)  
Room Demo Sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

06-30-2012 at 08:38 PM
mako
icon Re: The City Beneath : Pirate Hideout : 4 North, 1 West (-2)  
Do This Room And Gimme my player file back to get Five mod points(First person only)

06-30-2012 at 08:51 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
I doubt anyone will do that.
But that's still funny.

What is the problem?
You've got lots of hints and a demo. It's not that hard.
When you have a speed potion you can stand in a corner and kill any roaches that come at you (by turning clockwise x2, counterclockwise x2, repeat)

06-30-2012 at 09:19 PM
Page 2 of 3
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : The City Beneath : Pirate Hideout : 4 North, 1 West (Last room on level)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com