Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : The City Beneath : Pirate Hideout : 4 North, 1 West (Last room on level)
Page 1 of 3
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
IP: Logged
icon The City Beneath : Pirate Hideout : 4 North, 1 West (0)  
I just figured out what potion I should take first after taking the wrong one and going through dropping all the trapdoors and taking the other one. I'm SICK of this room. Can I have a demo please since I already did all the work once before?
04-03-2007 at 09:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: The City Beneath : Pirate Hideout : 4 North, 1 West (0)  
Well, honestly, I can't see why a demo would help that much since you're going to have to do all the work anyway. Since you know what to do, I'd just take a break or sleep on it and then you won't mind as much when you come back. :)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-03-2007 at 10:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
spudsfan
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
icon Re: The City Beneath : Pirate Hideout : 4 North, 1 West (+1)  
I'm nowhere near here, I just wanted to say, Ooh, Pirates!!!! Arrrrr!
04-03-2007 at 11:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Yeah, you're right. :blush Stupid me.
04-04-2007 at 02:45 AM
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
I'm stuck here. I think I should drink the SW potion, and if I do the roaches are too many and I can't kill them without dieing. I tried also with other potion but same problem... Any hint or hot-spot to defend?

04-15-2007 at 11:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
vittro wrote:
I'm stuck here. I think I should drink the SW potion, and if I do the roaches are too many and I can't kill them without dieing. I tried also with other potion but same problem... Any hint or hot-spot to defend?
Well look where the potions are placed, and where you need to go. That alone should tell you where to go. As for being swamped, by best advice is practice, practice, practice. This room is great for getting used to speed potions.
04-15-2007 at 11:52 AM
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
I have problems with this room. What potion should I take first? If I take the upper one first, i can get the trapdoors, but not the queens. If I try to take the one in the bottom chamber first, I don't get anything at all.
04-21-2007 at 07:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kzc
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 212
The question isn't which potion you should take *first*.
04-21-2007 at 08:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Judi
Rank Points: 17
Can anyone give me any pointers for this room, I pick up the first potion at 1, go around and drop all the red tiles, head down to the bottom left corner, pick up the last potion and then get swamped with roaches, have been trying this room for days now, had no trouble with the rest of the rooms on this level, just can't manage to get through this one so any help would be much appreciated.

04-26-2007 at 07:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
To reiterate kzc's hint, you should only take one of the two potions.
04-26-2007 at 07:38 AM
NiroZ
Try...
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by NiroZ at 04-28-2007 07:27 AM]
04-26-2007 at 07:48 AM
sjschaffner
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 30
I have been working on this room for a whole day. I need some help or advice on how to be more efficient. I am killing one roach per move most of the time. I have only used one of the speed potions. I have dropped about 5 of the trap doors and then am killed. Up until now I have enjoyed TCB. I have liked it better than KDD and JtRH which I have completed. I guess I'm getting frustrated and thinking of packing it in. This kind of room may have some merit but I don't see it. Possibly having more check points would help as I am constantly having to repeat too many moves.

Hopefully someone can give me a route or pattern or advice on how to proceed. I really have had fun up till now.

Thanks for any help
04-28-2007 at 02:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
This is a hard room. It took me a long time too, but you can do it :)

As NiroZ was saying above,

04-28-2007 at 02:53 AM
corgi_T
Rank Points: 24
Some tips for efficiently killing roaches with a speed potion:

Also...

I don't know if these tips will help you or not, but they are some of the patterns I found myself using... really, the most important thing is you have to be really patient to conquer this room. Don't try it when you are stressed out or tired! :pirate
04-28-2007 at 05:06 AM
sjschaffner
Thanks for all the tips and encouragement. I will keep working on it .
04-28-2007 at 06:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
sjschaffner
Well, I've spent another 3 hours on the room and have only one trap door left. I also have tendonitis in my wrist. This is probably the most difficult room from a technical standpoint of all the three holds. I guess others have not had as much difficulty. I can only think that its because I'm a senior citizen that I am having so much trouble. If there are any more rooms like this let me know so I can terminate finishing this game. I think I am becoming not only disappointed but maybe even hostile. I doubt even a demo would be much good in thiis kind of room. I will try again in the morning when I may be brighter and in less pain.

Thanks again for all the courteous comments.

[Last edited by sjschaffner at 04-28-2007 08:37 AM]
04-28-2007 at 08:36 AM
zaubberer
Rank Points: 251
icon Re: The City Beneath : Pirate Hideout : 4 North, 1 West (+2)  
i think that here two tactics are useful. first: after getting the speed potion you have more save spots than it seems. every corner is such a point.

also it is not to bad if you try to kill two roaches per turn whenever it is possible.

with the help of the speed potion you can be more effective than without...

hope that this helps

zaubberer
:wizard

[Last edited by zaubberer at 04-28-2007 05:00 PM : typo]
04-28-2007 at 11:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
sjschaffner
Well I finally dropped the last trap door in the SW corner where the second speed potion is located. I can kill the queen and then am overwhelmed. There is no way out then. I need a demo please. I'll bet I should have dropped this trap door first rather than last.

If any one has a demo it might help me at this point.

Thanks
04-28-2007 at 05:28 PM
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
I just beat this room, too. (Like 2 minutes ago.) And I don't think a demo would be helpful. Here's a few pointers.

[Last edited by tokyokid at 04-28-2007 05:37 PM]
04-28-2007 at 05:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
sjschaffner
Was the SW trap door with the speed potion the last door you dropped? If so, how did you kill the queen and get out?
04-28-2007 at 05:41 PM
zaubberer
Rank Points: 251
sjschaffner wrote:
Well I finally dropped the last trap door in the SW corner where the second speed potion is located.

have you ever tried to use this potion first?

zaubberer
:wizard
04-28-2007 at 05:45 PM
sjschaffner
Thanks, that is what I suspected. I don't know if I have the energy to start all over again. I see that is probably the problem. I quess I will go away from the hold for a few days and come back in a week. Thanks again. This is a very unpleasant room!!!!

[Last edited by sjschaffner at 04-28-2007 05:48 PM]
04-28-2007 at 05:47 PM
schep
Rank Points: 865

File: TCB Pirate Hideout 4N1W Good Start.demo (6.2 KB)
Downloaded 219 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: The City Beneath : Pirate Hideout : 4 North, 1 West (+2)  
There's been a request for a partial demo of this room. I went to make one, but then noticed that the beginning of my victory demo is terrible. So I played the room again, and here's a demo up through the first few trapdoors where you can see a lot of the techniques already mentioned in this thread.

Basically, if you can kill two roaches per turn at least 2/3 of the time, you'll make slow progress in the direction you're trying to get. And don't worry about roaches behind you until they're almost on top of you. You can run around them and/or turn quite fast.
04-28-2007 at 06:51 PM
sjschaffner
Thanks schep. I'll give it a try.
04-28-2007 at 06:53 PM
sjschaffner
I finally finished this room. Thanks for everyone's help. That was so difficult.
04-28-2007 at 08:00 PM
xeipon
Rank Points: 27
This room definitely needs more save points, and fewer trap doors. Like a number of others, this room is causing my opinion of the game to change.

With most rooms, once you *get* it, it's only a few more minutes. Here, I get the point... make a half hour of progress... then get caught in a mistake.

Could someone notify me when this room has been tweaked? (ed@mathpuzzle.com) I was hoping to write another major review of the game as a follow-up to my review of JtRH, but after struggling with this room, that will have to wait until this room is fixed.

06-03-2007 at 05:14 AM
NiroZ
xeipon wrote:
This room definitely needs more save points, and fewer trap doors. Like a number of others, this room is causing my opinion of the game to change.
Ouch!
With most rooms, once you *get* it, it's only a few more minutes. Here, I get the point... make a half hour of progress... then get caught in a mistake.
I dunno, I learnt a lot about speed potions through this room. Some things take practice, like driving. No driver is perfect first off, even if they memorised the rules, and what to do.
Could someone notify me when this room has been tweaked? (ed@mathpuzzle.com) I was hoping to write another major review of the game as a follow-up to my review of JtRH, but after struggling with this room, that will have to wait until this room is fixed.
Er... um... so you don't want advice, you are just demanding that the developers change the game because you hate this room, yes?

[Last edited by NiroZ at 06-03-2007 05:36 AM]
06-03-2007 at 05:35 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
xeipon wrote:
Ummm... while I agree that this is one of the longer rooms in the game I heartily disagree that it's even nearly as evil as you seem to think it is.

Yeah, it probably needs liberal use of the undo key, but if you're getting swamped by roaches you can always retreat into the nearest inner corner and smite away until the roaches are back to a manageable level. That probably helps more than any additional checkpoint.

Of course, killing a roach with every move as much as possible also helps, but it's something you get used to with a bit of practice.

np: The Black Dog - Virtual (Book Of Dogma)

06-03-2007 at 11:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I do hope Ed is using the battle key. Then he only has to worry about tactical mistakes.

06-04-2007 at 04:02 AM
Geiler Hengst
Rank Points: 64
what is the battle key?
06-04-2007 at 06:28 AM
Page 1 of 3
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : The City Beneath : Pirate Hideout : 4 North, 1 West (Last room on level)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com