Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : TCB crash during gameplay
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
jmpava
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
IP: Logged
icon TCB crash during gameplay (+1)  
I'll try to describe this the best I can - I haven't reported DROD crashes before, so if there are specific dump files that are useful, let me know and I'll get them - I can reproduce this one pretty easily, so just let me know what you need.

In 'The Searing Wastes', 3N4E of 'Help or no Help?' (in the help path), I'm getting fairly frequent crashes (of the 'application dies, do you want to report to Microsoft' variety). Here's what I do: At the beginning of the level, run directly up to just before the mimic potion (to 22.8, beyond the snake), turn to face W, then step on the potion at 21.8. place the mimic on 7,2 so it is simultaneously stepping on the checkpoint and hitting the orb. Often, that is sufficient to cause the crash. If not, the crash will always happen if I undo and redo that mimic placement a couple times. I noticed that right before the crash occurs, the wandering NPC vanishes and a roach appears at 0,0, where no roach should be - and then when I place the mimic, drod.exe crashes. I have also gotten this room to crash while I wasn't actually placing the mimic, but thats not one I can reproduce.

TCB Windows 3.0.0.0 Demo version.
AppName: drod.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: unknown
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: c9c40b9a

04-02-2007 at 11:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: TCB crash during gameplay (0)  
Check C:\Program Files\DROD - The City Beneath\Data\drod.err. Is there anything there?
04-03-2007 at 05:23 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jmpava

File: drod.err (311 bytes)
Downloaded 44 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: TCB crash during gameplay (+1)  
coppro wrote:
Check C:\Program Files\DROD - The City Beneath\Data\drod.err. Is there anything there?

Yes, but the times don't match up, at least to this most recent time when I saw this. I'll attach it anyway, I got the crash earlier too and this MIGHT be the times I did, but I certainly couldn't guarantee these messages have anything to do with this crash.

04-03-2007 at 05:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
jmpava
I did a quick search on my machine and I DID find a Dr Watson minidump that correlates with this crash. I know exactly how useful those are to me when people submit them, but I figured I'd throw it up here anyway just in case.

04-03-2007 at 05:54 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
TCB crashed on me earlier today as well--I can't find the .err file, though, and I have no idea what caused it (aside from, possibly, long periods of gameplay.)

04-03-2007 at 06:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
WyattSmee
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
I've had exactly one TCB crash so far too (which also necessitated getting a new CaravelNet key). Though I have a pretty good idea what caused it. Happened shortly after my demo for Under The Library: 1N 4W showed up twice in the highscores list for the room. Now.. no idea on that one however. From drod.err in the Data directory:
Assertion error in line 4824 of .\GameScreen.cpp: "Demo just deleted?"

Great game all around. Loving it.
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by WyattSmee at 04-03-2007 09:00 AM]
04-03-2007 at 08:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548

File: error.jpg (34.2 KB)
Downloaded 50 times.
I've just had a crash, error is attached

Drod.err

I was in TCB EC 2N1W with in game chat turned on. Nothing else strange was happening at the time.

Steve.
04-03-2007 at 09:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Andy101
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 222
I've just encountered a crash in Dugandy 1n1e

The only thing in drod.err is:

Assertion error in line 4457 of .\GameScreen.cpp: "pCharacter"

I think it occurred just after I pressed undo but I'm not entirely sure.

04-04-2007 at 11:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Andy101 wrote:
I've just encountered a crash in Dugandy 1n1e

The only thing in drod.err is:

Assertion error in line 4457 of .\GameScreen.cpp: "pCharacter"

I think it occurred just after I pressed undo but I'm not entirely sure.
Would you mind providing some context to the crash, like what you were doing in the game right before it crashed?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-05-2007 at 07:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Andy101
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 222
icon Re: TCB crash during gameplay (+1)  
mrimer wrote:
Would you mind providing some context to the crash, like what you were doing in the game right before it crashed?
I've done a bit of experimentation and can now reliably reproduce this. The crash is caused by doing the following (secreted to hide TCB spoiler):

[Last edited by Andy101 at 04-06-2007 09:43 PM]
04-06-2007 at 09:35 PM
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548

File: error.jpg (34 KB)
Downloaded 52 times.
I've been having a lot of crashes this morning while playing through "The Searing Wastes". I have crashed at least once in every room with the attached error.

I can't see any pattern to when it crashes unfortunately, and there is nothing recent in drod.err.

I am going to try some other holds this morning and edit this post with results.

Steve.

[Last edited by Stephen4Louise at 04-10-2007 08:51 AM]
04-10-2007 at 08:49 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
WyattSmee wrote:
I've had exactly one TCB crash so far too (which also necessitated getting a new CaravelNet key). Though I have a pretty good idea what caused it. Happened shortly after my demo for Under The Library: 1N 4W showed up twice in the highscores list for the room. Now.. no idea on that one however. From drod.err in the Data directory:
Assertion error in line 4824 of .\GameScreen.cpp: "Demo just deleted?"
Hm. I just got this same error message in my drod.err (line 4824, etc. etc.), though the circumstances seem quite different. I was playing The Land of Pits, Pit 5, 1W. I'd beaten the room once, restored to try to do better, beaten it again but in more moves this time. Thus, I was at the Demos (F6) screen.

I believe what I did next was delete the latter, slower demo, leaving the faster one there; hit "escape" to return to the game; hit "escape" again to try to restore. At that point, DROD crashed with the above error. Re-opening the game, both demos are still there (which makes me uncertain as to whether I did in fact delete the latter demo).

Of course, I just went through the same procedure again and it didn't crash at all, so.
04-14-2007 at 06:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
WyattSmee
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
I've since had several crashes in the situation you describe, as well. Including about half a dozen or so on the recent Land of Pits hold. Perhaps similar to yourself, I tend to leave only the shortest demo on the HDD... for less clutter. Fortunately none of these crashes have had any lasting ill-effect.

Does seem a bit random, I agree. Possibly related to server lag?
04-14-2007 at 08:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Tahnan wrote:
Hm. I just got this same error message in my drod.err (line 4824, etc. etc.)...
Got it again; this time, DROD was in the background, while I was switching to another window, though the circumstances were similar--I was at the F6 screen, deleting a slower demo.
04-22-2007 at 07:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Tahnan wrote:
Tahnan wrote:
Hm. I just got this same error message in my drod.err (line 4824, etc. etc.)...
Got it again; this time, DROD was in the background, while I was switching to another window, though the circumstances were similar--I was at the F6 screen, deleting a slower demo.
I've fixed this so DROD won't crash when deleting a slower demo at the same time it's being sent to the CaravelNet server.

Also fixed the undo crash when speech is playing.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-23-2007 at 06:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : TCB crash during gameplay
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com