Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : The City Beneath : Archival Catacombs : 3 South, 2 West (Last room on level!)
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
IP: Logged
icon The City Beneath : Archival Catacombs : 3 South, 2 West (0)  
Tell me what's false please.

1. My sword must be facing NW when I enter the bomb chambers.
2. I need to hit the bomb with my sword while standing at the place marked on the screenshot below.
3. If I use the potion here to lure the two roaches onto the force arrows, then the roaches kill me later. I have to leave them where they are.

Which is false?

SCREENSHOT:
Click here to view the secret text

04-02-2007 at 09:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
icon Re: The City Beneath : Archival Catacombs : 3 South, 2 West (0)  

04-02-2007 at 10:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
So where do I hide from the bombs then?

04-02-2007 at 10:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
icon Re: The City Beneath : Archival Catacombs : 3 South, 2 West (+2)  

04-02-2007 at 10:29 PM
md5i
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 109
I'm afraid that despite the last hint, I am having no luck in this room.

04-08-2007 at 02:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373

04-08-2007 at 02:37 AM
md5i
Rank Points: 109
Brilliant. That did it. Very clever. Thank you!

04-08-2007 at 03:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
leefa
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
I think I need specifics. I have walked thru this many times and still don't see the safe spot.

[Last edited by leefa at 01-05-2009 04:20 PM]
04-19-2007 at 03:09 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: The City Beneath : Archival Catacombs : 3 South, 2 West (+1)  
leefa wrote:
I think I need specifics. I have walked thru this many times and still don't see the safe spot.

Big Spoiler:

04-19-2007 at 03:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I would appreciate it if someone would help me in a way I can see without waiting for my progress to register.

04-21-2007 at 05:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 865
You can always look at the coordinates in the image filename to see where the numbers were placed, then right-click in-game to find that location.

But in text this time, the safe spot is:

04-21-2007 at 05:50 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
schep wrote:
You can always look at the coordinates in the image filename to see where the numbers were placed, then right-click in-game to find that location.
Ooh, thanks much. I'll mod you when I can.

04-21-2007 at 05:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jeanette
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14
Jatopian wrote:
schep wrote:
Ooh, thanks much. I'll mod you when I can.

Ok after getting it done how do i get the door to open for the snake to go throug :huh
06-06-2007 at 09:16 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
Maybe I don't understand your question...

The first thing you did was to get the clone on the pressure plate in the big spiral, right? That opens the doors so that Beethro can run through the bombs (like they are describing in the above posts) and the adder can move towards the clone.

The clone eventually kills the adder by hitting its head. There is no need to open any more doors.
06-06-2007 at 09:49 AM
jeanette
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
Maybe I don't understand your question...

The first thing you did was to get the clone on the pressure plate in the big spiral, right? That opens the doors so that Beethro can run through the bombs (like they are describing in the above posts) and the adder can move towards the clone.

The clone eventually kills the adder by hitting its head. There is no need to open any more doors.

The adder kills me everytime :no
06-06-2007 at 12:01 PM
jeanette
icon Re: The City Beneath : Archival Catacombs : 3 South, 2 West (+1)  
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
The clone needs to stand diagonally with respect to the adder.

cot it by putting the clown on the preasure plate tab, go through the bombs and getting the yellow button and whalla

[Last edited by jeanette at 06-06-2007 12:29 PM]
06-06-2007 at 12:16 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
jeanette wrote:
cot it by putting the clown on the preasure plate tab, go through the bombs and getting the yellow button and whalla
I hope you don't mind, but I found your use of "clown" up there too funny - it had me stumped for a while until I finally figured you meant clone... :)

I guess the Eighth could use some clowns - everybody is waaay too serious there. :D

06-06-2007 at 12:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jeanette
Briareos wrote:
jeanette wrote:
I hope you don't mind, but I found your use of "clown" up there too funny - it had me stumped for a while until I finally figured you meant clone... :)

I guess the Eighth could use some clowns - everybody is waaay too serious there. :D

Sorry for the mistake but this game is making me feel like a clown sometimes. :blush :blush :blush :blush :blush :blush :blush
06-07-2007 at 07:22 AM
Chimerix
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
Ok, something just is not clicking for me. My clone gets eaten, and I don't seem to be able to prevent it. It goes something like this...

Chapter 1.
Face sword NW. Drink the potion, place the clone. Use the clone to trip the pressure plate. Wait 4 moves for the roaches to migrate south and get stuck on force arrows.

Chapter 2.
Switch back to Beethro the Original. Dance lightly thru the bomb-laced corridor. While waiting at the magic spot for the 2 asynchronous bombs to go off, rotate sword to face south.

Chapter 3.
Chase the explosions through the southeast corner of the room. Be careful, because there are 2 spots where I can overtake said explosions, and die. Avoid the 2nd save spot because it adds a move, even though I later waste that same move waiting on a bomb.

Chapter 4.
Rush up the corridor, shaving corners, racing for the clone-saving button, and watch the clone get eaten the very same turn I hit said button.

Variations I've tried include:
1. Not waiting the 4 moves in Chapter 1, leaving the roaches free to kill Beethro the Original at the end of Chapter 2.
2. Changing Chapter 1 to "Fighting the Adder with the Clone." Doesn't work, I can't kill it in a direct confrontation. I tried to make sense of CuriouslyShyRabbit's hint about adder-killing, but setting up the describe scenario and hitting "Q" and "W" just gets me eaten.

It's a tad frustrating to be stuck on the part that everyone else seems to take as a given, while the other parts seemed to come so easily!!

[EDIT]
Unless, of course, you don't wait and let the roaches drift south, but use the tab key to make sure they end up where they started from. Then you gain a couple of steps, and hit the button with time to spare, and end up tying for 5th place!

[Last edited by Chimerix at 12-31-2007 10:50 PM]
12-31-2007 at 10:08 PM
kingpr
Rank Points: 29
I don't have any problems with the first part. But I am always just 1 step ahead of the explosions so when I get to the bottom right I can't see any way of avoiding getting into the chamber with all the bombs and then - kaboom - death. somehow I feel I need to hide away to let the explosions get ahead of me, but I can't see where. I can't see any magic crumbly walls that would help. In short I'm dead. any help please?

OK edit that - the advantage of posting is that the solution soon appears!

[Last edited by kingpr at 02-10-2008 12:32 PM]
02-10-2008 at 12:00 PM
larryws
Rank Points: 11
OK--I seem to be the only one trying to solve this room that can't figure it out. Even after reading & re-reading all the posts above, I can't get anywhere in this room.

Posit 1: If you place the clone anywhere but the yellow plate, there is no way to get the adder free.

Posit 2: In order for the clone to kill the adder, the door to the left of the yellow plate needs to be activiated before the adder gets to it; otherwise the adder kills the clone on the yellow plate. I tried placing the clone just to the NW of the plate as CuriousShyRabbit suggests, but alas, to no avail.

Posit 3: Beethro has to run by the bombs at the top and eventually get to the position offerred by jbluestein. However, try as I will, I cannot figure out how to get around the NW corner without getting blown-up.

If someone would be kind enough to point out the error of my ways or post a demo, it would be much appreciated.

03-17-2008 at 02:33 PM
kingpr
Rank Points: 29
icon Re: The City Beneath : Archival Catacombs : 3 South, 2 West (+3)  

2. See above

3. Take care with your sword direction and timing. You should be able to run ahead of the explosions (just). The tricky bit is going round the middle which had me stumped for a while hint

I can send a demo if needs be (& I can work out how!)
03-17-2008 at 02:54 PM
jbluestein
icon Re: The City Beneath : Archival Catacombs : 3 South, 2 West (+3)  
larryws wrote:
OK--I seem to be the only one trying to solve this room that can't figure it out. Even after reading & re-reading all the posts above, I can't get anywhere in this room.

Posit 1: If you place the clone anywhere but the yellow plate, there is no way to get the adder free.

Posit 2: In order for the clone to kill the adder, the door to the left of the yellow plate needs to be activiated before the adder gets to it; otherwise the adder kills the clone on the yellow plate. I tried placing the clone just to the NW of the plate as CuriousShyRabbit suggests, but alas, to no avail.

Posit 3: Beethro has to run by the bombs at the top and eventually get to the position offerred by jbluestein. However, try as I will, I cannot figure out how to get around the NW corner without getting blown-up.

If someone would be kind enough to point out the error of my ways or post a demo, it would be much appreciated.

Your three posits are all essentially correct.

Clone must activate pressure plate. You must close the door next to the pressure plate before the adder reaches you. You have to run through the bombs to 'safety'.

It's very tight. If you read up the hint thread, you'll also note another point:

The NW corner isn't too much of a problem as long as you have the proper sword orientation. Look at the pattern of the explosion -- there is a safe spot you can get to if you don't waste any moves.

Josh

03-17-2008 at 02:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larryws
The NW corner has me baffled. Once the fuse is lit on the upper-most NW bomb, it explodes on the 6th move. I cannot figure out how to get to the safety square in less than 7 moves. Sword position is not a problem as I don't have to move it.

03-17-2008 at 03:07 PM
jbluestein
larryws wrote:
The NW corner has me baffled. Once the fuse is lit on the upper-most NW bomb, it explodes on the 6th move. I cannot figure out how to get to the safety square in less than 7 moves. Sword position is not a problem as I don't have to move it.

03-17-2008 at 03:10 PM
larryws
Thanks! I would swear that I had tried position 3,4--but obviously I had not.

03-17-2008 at 04:26 PM
Johno758
Rank Points: 13
Any possibility of a demo? I've read and re-read but still don't get it
10-30-2008 at 11:13 PM
zwetschenwasser
Rank Points: 200

File: TCB Archival Catacombs 3S2W Victory.demo (5 KB)
Downloaded 194 times.
License: Public Domain
Here thou goest-est-est?

10-30-2008 at 11:25 PM
Johno758
Rank Points: 13
Thanks for your quick reply. Much appreciated
10-30-2008 at 11:44 PM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : The City Beneath : Archival Catacombs : 3 South, 2 West (Last room on level!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com