Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Caravel Chat keeps cutting out. (and doesn't reconnect properly)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
IP: Logged
icon Caravel Chat keeps cutting out. (0)  
Maybe it's because of a heavy server load, but Caravel Chat seems to be cutting out after a while, and the only way to reconnect is to restart the game.
04-02-2007 at 06:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Caravel Chat keeps cutting out. (0)  
NiroZ wrote:
Maybe it's because of a heavy server load, but Caravel Chat seems to be cutting out after a while, and the only way to reconnect is to restart the game.
I think there's just been nobody saying anything for the last ten minutes.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-02-2007 at 06:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
No, when I click on the "CaravelNet Chat" button on the main menu, sometimes it connects and I see a huge backlog of text.

04-02-2007 at 06:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
mrimer wrote:
NiroZ wrote:
I think there's just been nobody saying anything for the last ten minutes.
I thought of that, but I couldn't talk to anyone either(no text would come up after I typed)

And when I tried to go into the chatroom, it would just say 'connecting' but nothing would happen (trust me, I waited).
04-02-2007 at 07:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I've seen something like this as well.

This morning I started by checking menu options and the chat, started playing with the option to chat in-game, and everything went fine for a while. But then messages just stopped appearing and eventually I found out that it wasn't everyone running out of things to talk about after all.

[Last edited by Doom at 04-02-2007 04:05 PM : some simplification]
04-02-2007 at 08:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
icon (TCB) Chat disabled unless restart after DSL disconnect (0)  
I know there have been a few chat related bug reports out there, but this was cleancut enough that I thought I'd mention it. I dropped my DSL connection and the chat stopped working despite a reconnect. A restart fixed this.

[EDIT]

I just dropped by connection again, and this time the chat was still working again so I guess this must be an intermittent issue involving connectivity. I'll keep an eye on it...

[Last edited by Syntax at 04-02-2007 08:46 PM]
04-02-2007 at 08:24 PM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
icon Re: (TCB) Chat disabled unless restart after DSL disconnect (0)  
That happened to me twice earlier today and I also had to ask for a new key twice. (I used to have to ask for keys for JtRH quite often but recently that hasn't happened.)

04-02-2007 at 09:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
icon Re: (TCB) Chat disabled unless restart after DSL disconnect (0)  
I'd say that it looks like the same thing I was getting.
04-03-2007 at 07:38 AM
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
This has been happening to me quite a lot when chatting in-game.

When I hit return I can see a list of users, but no messages are appearing. I can type and send a message, but it doesn't appear.

When I go to main menu and enter Caravel Chat, it says "Connecting". Back to game again and a backlog of messages appears followed by the one I typed earlier.

I have a couple suspicions. One is that when I hit space to clear the screen, no further messages are shown. Another is that when I exit the game and restore, no further messages are shown. I will try to be more vigilent, but it's hard because sometimes it is working, but everyone is just being quiet.

Steve.
04-11-2007 at 01:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Stephen4Louise wrote:
I have a couple suspicions. One is that when I hit space to clear the screen, no further messages are shown. Another is that when I exit the game and restore, no further messages are shown. I will try to be more vigilent, but it's hard because sometimes it is working, but everyone is just being quiet.

Steve.
It's definitely not either of them, as I do both frequently, and doing neither of those things cut off the connection.

Just today I was doing some rather bandwidth intensive tasks while playing DROD. The connection was so bad that I had to restart DROD to type a single message. So I'd say that it's a latency problem.
04-11-2007 at 01:11 PM
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
That, and it appears to be a problem with the ingame chat not aggressively reconnecting.

04-12-2007 at 05:14 AM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Most of the time, I'm kicked out of the chat when I'm actually playing the game; I was kicked off only a few times while chatting in the main chat window.
04-12-2007 at 09:12 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
For me I've only noticed it happening after I've restored or pressed f6 to view a demo. But doing either of those cuts it off very often; I just quit DROD and restart after theres been no chat for a while.
(And its happened ever since TCB was released.)

[Last edited by TripleM at 04-12-2007 09:27 AM]
04-12-2007 at 09:27 AM
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
icon Re: Caravel Chat keeps cutting out. (+1)  
TripleM wrote:
For me I've only noticed it happening after I've restored or pressed f6 to view a demo. But doing either of those cuts it off very often; I just quit DROD and restart after theres been no chat for a while.
(And its happened ever since TCB was released.)

You don't need to fully quit to get it back. Just go to Caravel Chat in the main menu and exit straight away. Chat will be working again in game.

Steve.
04-12-2007 at 09:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Casebier
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 283
Stephen4Louise:
You don't need to fully quit to get it back. Just go to Caravel Chat in the main menu and exit straight away. Chat will be working again in game.
That's easy enough to do if you're actually playing the game, but if you're in the level editor you have to quit all the way out of that, go forward through the menu, enter and exit chat, go back a level in the main menu, and return to where you were editing.

[Last edited by Casebier at 04-12-2007 08:15 PM]
04-12-2007 at 08:14 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Sillyman wrote:
That, and it appears to be a problem with the ingame chat not aggressively reconnecting.
I've fixed what is probably the main issue with DROD internet connection hangs. This should fix:

1. Room conquer demos not getting uploaded during play when the connection is bad.
2. Subsequent room demos also not being sent because DROD gets hung up on the first lost one.
3. Chats getting lost in the same process.
4. DROD seeming to hang for a while when exiting the game screen after the above things occur.

Woo!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-14-2007 at 05:04 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Caravel Chat keeps cutting out. (and doesn't reconnect properly)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com