Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : A question about JtRH player exports, TCB imports... (I'm surprised no one's asked yet...)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
IP: Logged
icon A question about JtRH player exports, TCB imports... (0)  
So, just to make certain: What do we do to import our player file and our progress in all holds into TCB? Do we have to import every single hold, then the player file? Vice versa? What about JtRH? If we import now, or start playing without importing, will we be able to merge player progress somehow?
I hope this is clear, and that I'm not being too bothersome. I'm just excited and eager to start.

04-02-2007 at 12:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: A question about JtRH player exports, TCB imports... (+1)  
You have to import a hold before you can import progress to it. You should export your 2.0 saves now, and when you have imported the relevant holds, import the saves.

As far as JtRH itself, as long as you hold on to your exported saves, you can just re-import them later once JtRH is importable to 3.0. You won't lose progress that way.

04-02-2007 at 01:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ravon
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
icon Re: A question about JtRH player exports, TCB imports... (0)  
Will copying the .dat's work?
04-02-2007 at 01:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
That would work between installations of 2.0, or between 3.0, but it won't work from 2.0 to 3.0. Even player.dat changed in enough ways to make it an unreliable method.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-02-2007 at 01:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
so because I have a bit of progress on almost every hold, I have to wait 500 million years whilst exporting all my saves, then download every single hold (again) into TCB, then import my player/saves?

will that be faster than waiting for a patch utility that will convert my 2.0 files to 3.0 files? :)

04-02-2007 at 03:39 AM
Dolan42
Rank Points: 195
At least you can shift select and download all the holds at the same time so if you have a slow connection you can do it overnight.

04-02-2007 at 03:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
the full process to copy all progress:

export "player" to "silver.player": < 5 min

start up TCB, import player (silver.player) at first screen: < 5 min

download all holds: ~20 minutes (I don't have a slow connection. and I was impressed by the blazing speed a lot of holds downloaded)

import the player again (silver.player) and wait for it to check integrity: ~1 hour

---

not quite 500 million years, and parts were much faster than expected... the import saves was slow, but understandably slow in light of how many saves I have.

---

note: if you have any holds you are editing, you'll want to export them and import them, as well (or keep using jtrh if you want to finish the hold in a 2.0 compatible manner - though I could be wrong about this parenthetical)

[Last edited by silver at 04-02-2007 01:31 PM]
04-02-2007 at 05:08 AM
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
On a similiar theme, I've already imported my player into TCB and downloaded all the holds. Can I still play holds in JtRH for high score uploads?

I'm playing the actual JtRH hold at the moment and that obviously can't be downloaded off Caravel into TCB, but I'm also thinking of things in JtRH which make life easier (Transparent Tar & Mud, Digital clock with Snake timer) at least until there are versions of these for TCB.

Progress - Gavin G
04-02-2007 at 03:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
jmpava
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
Thanks for the detailed list, Silver. I ran into some issues when I went to JtRH, so nice to see that avoided.

So, this has retained all my saves and player info and basically all the important stuff! Yay! However, I noticed that the updated Hold Management section (in 'Choose Location') now can categorize the list by in-progress, conquered, etc... - which is pretty neat - however it doesn't appear to notice that I HAVE completed a hold until I open it up and walk through the ending stairs. Am I really going to need to do that manually for everything or is there some additional automatic procedure I'm missing. (No, it doesn't REALLY matter, but we've got that nice listing there, it'd be nice if it was actually going to reflect items from before TCB).

Also, I'm assuming the full TCB is still an independent download/installation. Does that mean I'd have to go through this process again (both the player import-hold download and going through the final stair to get it in the complete list) when I get around to getting that (I've been using the demo so far)

Thanks!

[Last edited by jmpava at 04-02-2007 06:47 PM]
04-02-2007 at 06:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
jmpava wrote:
Thanks for the detailed list, Silver. I ran into some issues when I went to JtRH, so nice to see that avoided.

So, this has retained all my saves and player info and basically all the important stuff! Yay! However, I noticed that the updated Hold Management section (in 'Choose Location') now can categorize the list by in-progress, conquered, etc... - which is pretty neat - however it doesn't appear to notice that I HAVE completed a hold until I open it up and walk through the ending stairs. Am I really going to need to do that manually for everything or is there some additional automatic procedure I'm missing. (No, it doesn't REALLY matter, but we've got that nice listing there, it'd be nice if it was actually going to reflect items from before TCB).

Did you export the player? Or just the player saves?

Also, I'm assuming the full TCB is still an independent download/installation. Does that mean I'd have to go through this process again (both the player import-hold download and going through the final stair to get it in the complete list) when I get around to getting that (I've been using the demo so far)

Thanks!

Yes.

[Last edited by eytanz at 04-02-2007 06:57 PM]
04-02-2007 at 06:56 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
eytanz wrote:

Thanks!

Yes.

Actually, I think there's a way around it. Don't blame me, though, if it explodes in your face. Export your player file, then replace player.dat from the full with player.dat from the demo. Open it up, then reimport the player. If my understanding of the data storage is correct, it should work.

That said, don't completely trust me. I'm not sure in any way, shape, or form. I strongly recommend backing up your precious files before trying this out.
04-02-2007 at 06:59 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
No, that won't work - it might work for a hold with no custom art or speech, but TCB has both.

04-02-2007 at 07:03 PM
jmpava
eytanz wrote:
jmpava wrote:

Did you export the player? Or just the player saves?

Hmm... either I misread Silver or he changed it since last night (I'm guessing the former). I exported both my player and saves, then imported the full player, then got all the holds, then imported my saves only. I'm guessing I needed to import the full player again when I did it the second time? (Whoops... that's what I get for however late it was when I did this :blush )

So... ok... that's fine, I can go ahead and import the full player again. Is that going to clobber whatever I did last night in TCB? (if so, no big, I didn't do THAT much...)

04-02-2007 at 07:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
jmpava wrote:

So... ok... that's fine, I can go ahead and import the full player again. Is that going to clobber whatever I did last night in TCB? (if so, no big, I didn't do THAT much...)

Yes, import the full player. It should be totally safe - importing a player that already exists can only add stuff.

04-02-2007 at 07:09 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
jmpava wrote:
Importing only ever adds stuff, so clobbering is not really an option... :)

04-02-2007 at 07:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jmpava
Hah. Shows how many times I've imported player data. At all. Ever. Thanks for the info. :thumbsup

04-02-2007 at 07:15 PM
Remlin
Rank Points: 181
May I bump this with a related question? TCB came out while I was staying with my parents, and being unable to wait, I bought it and dove right in. Now that I'm back home I find myself with two problems:

How do I get another download link for the full version of TCB? (The one I got sent when I bought it was used up installing it on a computer that's now 3000 miles away...)

Is there any way to import my main player from JTRH, and then add to it the progress the new player I created at my parent's house made on TCB? (Both players are named Remlin.)
04-05-2007 at 08:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
For the first, you will need to contact probably Mike or Erik to get a link sent to you, and for the latter just hit "Export Saves Only"
04-05-2007 at 08:20 PM
eytanz
Remlin wrote:
May I bump this with a related question? TCB came out while I was staying with my parents, and being unable to wait, I bought it and dove right in. Now that I'm back home I find myself with two problems:

How do I get another download link for the full version of TCB? (The one I got sent when I bought it was used up installing it on a computer that's now 3000 miles away...)

Since you have caravelnet, you might be able to download it from the downloads page on drod.caravelgames.com (I think).

Is there any way to import my main player from JTRH, and then add to it the progress the new player I created at my parent's house made on TCB? (Both players are named Remlin.)

Yes. Just export saves from one of the players, and import them into the other.

Note that I'd recommend exporting the whole JtRH player, importing it into 3.0, and exporting saves from the new player and importing them into the old one. This is because importing saves loses "completed" status for holds and the current position (you need to use the restore screen to continue rather than "continue game"), and the new character just loses that info for one hold (TCB) - it's best if you do this immediately after hitting a checkpoint because then restoring your exact progress from the restore screen will be easiest.

[Last edited by eytanz at 04-05-2007 08:21 PM]
04-05-2007 at 08:20 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
eytanz wrote:
Remlin wrote:

Since you have caravelnet, you might be able to download it from the downloads page on drod.caravelgames.com (I think).

I'm not sure that this is the case. I have purchased KDD, JtRH and TCB (all as standalone products), but the downloads page has only ever shown me KDD available as a download. (I do, of course, see all of the patches and whatnot...but I don't see any JtRH full version downloads, or TCB full version downloads.)

But what's the licensing permit? I have two machines, so I assume that I would need a second license if I wanted to install the full version on a second machine. (I have been considering buying a second copy just so I can install it on my Linux box, as I would really like to see all of the styles instead of just the demo style.)

Josh

04-05-2007 at 08:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
If the license was per machine, then why would there be different OS of the full version available to CNet members that have purchased the full version once?

04-05-2007 at 08:32 PM
Remlin
eytanz wrote:
I tried that, but there's nothing for TCB on that page.
Thanks, that sounds smart! Unfortunately I only emailed myself a copy of the exported player from the TCB [new] player. Would this work?

Export the player from JTRH, import it into TCB. (Call this guy Remlin1.) Then import the new player into TCB as a different Remlin (Remlin2). Then export Remlin2's saves, delete Remlin2, and import those saves into Remlin1's files?
04-05-2007 at 08:35 PM
eytanz
Remlin wrote:
eytanz wrote:
I tried that, but there's nothing for TCB on that page.

Oh, ok. You should write Erik or Mike, then.

Thanks, that sounds smart! Unfortunately I only emailed myself a copy of the exported player from the TCB [new] player. Would this work?

Export the player from JTRH, import it into TCB. (Call this guy Remlin1.) Then import the new player into TCB as a different Remlin (Remlin2). Then export Remlin2's saves, delete Remlin2, and import those saves into Remlin1's files?

Yes, that should work.

04-05-2007 at 08:39 PM
KevG
Rank Points: 333
jbluestein wrote:
I'm not sure that this is the case. I have purchased KDD, JtRH and TCB (all as standalone products), but the downloads page has only ever shown me KDD available as a download. (I do, of course, see all of the patches and whatnot...but I don't see any JtRH full version downloads, or TCB full version downloads.)
Not sure about TCB, but you should definitely have a JtRH full version download. Most likely your purchases weren't connected to your forum ID.
But what's the licensing permit? I have two machines, so I assume that I would need a second license if I wanted to install the full version on a second machine. (I have been considering buying a second copy just so I can install it on my Linux box, as I would really like to see all of the styles instead of just the demo style.)
The rule of thumb is that two people shouldn't be using the program at the same time. If you're the only person playing the game then it's perfectly acceptable to install it on as many machines as you want. It's only if multiple people are playing on multiple machines that you should buy more copies.
04-05-2007 at 08:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
Yeah. One CNet account/person per license. :D

04-05-2007 at 08:52 PM
coppro
The DROD EULA wrote:
1. Limited Use License. Caravel hereby grants, and by installing the
Program you thereby accept, a limited, non-exclusive license and right
to install and use one (1) copy of the Program for your use on a home,
business, or portable computer. Use of the Program's CaravelNet
Internet services is subject to your acceptance of CaravelNet's Terms
of Use Agreement. Caravel reserves the right to update, modify or
change the CaravelNet Terms of Use Agreement at any time.

That's pretty clear to me.

[Last edited by coppro at 04-05-2007 08:58 PM]
04-05-2007 at 08:58 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
jbluestein wrote:
I have purchased KDD, JtRH and TCB (all as standalone products), but the downloads page has only ever shown me KDD available as a download.
When you order these, you are sent a CaravelNet activation email. Even if you already have CaravelNet, you should follow this link -- it also registers the purchase of the game to your forum user account. I see your order history, but since you probably haven't kept this activation email for JtRH from way back when, I've gone ahead and registered it and TCB to your account.

Caravel is allowing people to install DROD to more than one of your machines, as long as you treat it as if it were a physical product like a book (i.e. you can't read a book in more than one place at a time, and two people can't both have a copy of a single book entity at a time, etc).

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-05-2007 09:08 PM]
04-05-2007 at 09:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lardarse
Rank Points: 56
mrimer wrote:
Caravel is allowing people to install DROD to more than one of your machines, as long as you treat it as if it were a physical product like a book (i.e. you can't read a book in more than one place at a time, and two people can't both have a copy of a single book entity at a time, etc).
Which is why I'm making my mum buy her own copy. :)

Speaking of buying: is there any way to find out how much shipping costs are for the CD versions?
04-06-2007 at 11:14 PM
eytanz
Lardarse wrote:
Speaking of buying: is there any way to find out how much shipping costs are for the CD versions?

No 100% certain way, but you might try to see how much shipping costs are currently for a JtRH CD for where you live - I doubt it will be much different (though that's not impossible).

04-06-2007 at 11:21 PM
Remlin
mrimer wrote:
When you order these, you are sent a CaravelNet activation email. Even if you already have CaravelNet, you should follow this link -- it also registers the purchase of the game to your forum user account.
I've now done this, and sure enough TCB is showing up in the downloads section for me. But - is it actually working? In the past (last week) when I used this to get a new download of JTRH it was pretty much instantaneous. This time around I've been waiting five hours to get my email with the download link, and nothing. I've requested download links for both TCB and JTRH, and neither has come. I've checked spam folders.
04-06-2007 at 11:59 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : A question about JtRH player exports, TCB imports... (I'm surprised no one's asked yet...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com