Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Chaco's Hold : Level V: Golems and Crumbly Walls : 1 South, 1 East
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
sjschaffner
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 30
IP: Logged
icon Chaco's Hold : Level V: Golems and Crumbly Walls : 1 South, 1 East (0)  
This is my last room on this level. I seem to be confused where to start and where to use the mimics. It is also unclear how to get the roaches in the NW and how to kill the lower golems. Overall there is so much going on in this room I am somewhat lost. Some hints with a plan, sequence and some direction would be appreciated.

Thanks
03-25-2007 at 08:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: Chaco's Hold : Level V: Golems and Crumbly Walls : 1 South, 1 East (0)  
The reason that this room looks incredibly complex is because it is very easy.
Click here to view the secret text

03-25-2007 at 01:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
To be perfectly honest, I had an intended solution in mind, but I didn't really see a good way to enforce it - and it seems I forgot to check for unintended solutions using the mimics in weird places.

I will probably see if I can make a similar room that works better in some later project.

03-25-2007 at 02:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
sjschaffner
Rank Points: 30
Chaco! What was your intended solution? What was your sequence and where did you want the mimics placed? It would be interesting to see the comparison.

[Last edited by sjschaffner at 03-25-2007 04:12 PM]
03-25-2007 at 04:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
sjschaffner wrote:
Chaco! What was your intended solution? What was your sequence and where did you want the mimics placed? It would be interesting to see the comparison.

Josh

03-25-2007 at 05:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
iamyum
Rank Points: 64
I wouldn't have solved it without Tim's hint, though I'm not sure the purpose of the mimic at position 4. I placed the corresponding mimic at
and the solution is the same as Tim's, in principle.
03-26-2007 at 06:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Danteslives
Rank Points: 48
Oh man, Ive been looking at this level for two whole days and I havent gotten anywhere. I dont know how to kill the golems using only the bombs, and I dont see how to kill the bottom five golems. I dont even see how the bottom five bombs help me in beating the level. Can anyone help me at all? This is the only level I am missing.... Thanks!
08-23-2007 at 09:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3117

08-23-2007 at 09:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Danteslives
Thanks, but after another couple of hours of looking I am still at a stand still. I dont think I can kill the bottom golems with the bottom bombs because there are not enough spaces, so I am trying to release the top golems and set them up to be killed with the bottom bombs and then use one of the mimics to be able to get to the top fuse. I use the other mimic to kill the left most roaches, and I can kill the right roaches by myself. But I can never set the golems up quite right, so I assume I am doing something completely wrong. PLEASE HELP... I am soooo sick of this level!
08-24-2007 at 01:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
You can kill bottom golems with the bombs, but you don't need to get all of them. You just need to not block the hallways so you can get the five at the very bottom.

08-24-2007 at 01:49 AM
Danteslives
Awesome, finally got it! Thank you very much
08-24-2007 at 02:16 AM
Rinaldo
Rank Points: 50

File: Dead Golems.jpg (166.5 KB)
Downloaded 93 times.
License: Public Domain
I have been reading the comments for this room (a bit of a challenge, as different replies describe different solutions!), and am trying to make the "intended" solution work. I especially tried to take note of TFMurphy's remarks
TFMurphy wrote:
along with Chaco's descriptions. After a first pass across the lowest E-W chamber, I have golem corpses at the locations shown on the attached file. Is this optimum? My problem is that
Can I do better? Am I entirely wrong?

05-19-2012 at 02:49 AM
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3117
icon Re: Chaco's Hold : Level V: Golems and Crumbly Walls : 1 South, 1 East (+2)  
It's definitely possible to complete the room from that screenshot. With regards to the corridors not being completely clear after the first pass:

05-19-2012 at 03:51 AM
Rinaldo
Rank Points: 50
I've not arrived at the point, in this or any hold, of worrying about optimization! :) I'm glad enough to be able to get through. And now, with your most helpful words, I've finished this room. Thank you so much!
05-19-2012 at 04:20 AM
Emojk
Rank Points: 94
I'm trying to solve this room with the "intended solution", but I'm always left with five golems (and some rubble) in the corridor once the two mimics have been used, and I don't see how to kill them without blocking the way to the five other golems at the very bottom...
I guess I've been doing something wrong, but what?

EDIT: Well, I finally did it with the "unintended solution". I still would like to know how I was supposed to do, though!

[Last edited by Emojk at 02-28-2014 10:55 AM]
02-26-2014 at 11:01 AM
JLE
Rank Points: 46
I'm lost here. How can I kill the five lowermost golems - the ones that are blocked into their little 2-square areas, by the orthosquares? I see no way to make any of them move sideways into the squares that can be reached by Beethro's sword, and Beethro cannot move diagonally into their little enclaves because of the orthosquares.

I've killed everything else except the last roach on the right, and that roach is free to escape and run up the right-most corridor into my sword - if only I can kill the lower golems by forcing them to move off the squares they start on, onto the squares diagonally next to the orthosquares. But I can't force them to move.

[EDIT] DOH! Worked it out. The centre one has no orthosquare - which allows me to go down into its row :-)

[Last edited by JLE at 03-03-2017 03:55 AM]
03-03-2017 at 03:53 AM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Chaco's Hold : Level V: Golems and Crumbly Walls : 1 South, 1 East
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com