Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : The 40th (Slayer)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Insane
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
IP: Logged
icon The 40th (-1)  
Hullo,

I am pretty sure this mod is copyright infringement, nevertheless I present you the 40th Mod though. If an admin says this is copyright infringement, kindly delete it.

Anyways, the "The 40th" mod allows you to play as a slayer, and the slayer to play as you!

Here's the corrosponding .tim file:

577-584
369-376
32-39
48-55

Plans: Changing the wisp for something more appropriate.

-Insane

[Last edited by Insane at 03-21-2007 07:31 PM]
03-21-2007 at 07:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: The 40th (0)  
Come on, man. If you're pretty sure doing something is copyright infringement, then don't do it. This has come up several times over the last few days, and it's still something you shouldn't distribute without permission from Erik.

03-21-2007 at 07:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Maurog
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1501

File: tcb_spoiler.jpeg (55.4 KB)
Downloaded 88 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: The 40th (+5)  
Let's put some content in at least - here, have a TCB screenshot!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Maurog at 02-08-2009 09:38 AM]
03-21-2007 at 08:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insane
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
icon Re: The 40th (-1)  
If only I had some Mod points, I would mod that post up to +5. ;)

-Insane
03-21-2007 at 08:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
Maurog wrote:
Let's put some content in at least - here, have a TCB screenshot!
Click here to view the secret text

Mhh... No fog?

hurr

03-21-2007 at 08:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Maurog, I love you so hard, and all, but you realize the irony of what it is you've done here.
03-21-2007 at 09:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: The 40th (+1)  
Hear hear, however this joke and my other ones will remain exclusive to this forum, unable to harm the original content.
In addition, they fall under parodies for stuff concerning copyright:
Parodies
Although a parody can be considered a derivative work under United States Copyright Law, it can be defended under the fair use doctrine, which is codified in 17 USC § 107. The Supreme Court of the United States stated that parody "is the use of some elements of a prior author's composition to create a new one that, at least in part, comments on that author's works." That commentary function provides some justification for use of the older work. (See Campbell v. Acuff-Rose Music, Inc.)
Lastly (and most importantly), one word from Erik or someone else in charge, and I remove them all. It's not like I'm a stranger.

03-21-2007 at 09:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308

File: GeneralTiles.tim (1.2 KB)
Downloaded 74 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: The 40th (+3)  
Here's a mod that does switch you and the Slayer, without copyright infringement.

Just throw it into your Bitmaps folder.
03-21-2007 at 10:33 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: The 40th (+2)  
Please, everyone just stop grabbing images from the game and reposting them with modifications. The trouble is that I have to think about whether there is trouble or not. And I have to think about whether a harmless posting encourages trouble later. And honestly, I don't have time.

Maybe in the future we will provide some kind of licensing that opens up screenshot modifications, but for now, they are not available for use without permission.

Some large game companies have legal teams that come up with this stuff, and usually their policy is simply to let everyone do whatever they want until somebody does something possibly threatening. At that point they send a nastygram threatening legal action and intimidate into submission whoever got too ambitious or controversial. Go look at Blizzard Entertainment's public licensing in detail, for example, and you'll see that they allow themselves to stop virtually anything you set out to do.

By contrast, we have stated clearly from the beginning what was available for you to use, and taken pains to publicly license images, music, source code. It is a lot of extra work to do this, and there are few companies that will mess with it. It's much easier to have your cake and eat it too, by letting the modding community infringe in bliss until you decide arbitrarily that somebody needs to stop.

Maurog, I'm not picking on you. I just want everyone to know what our stance is on copyright infringement. I would also appreciate if people would NOT post, and then wait for me or a moderator to make a "ruling". Jeezus, we don't have time to mess with it all.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 03-22-2007 05:39 AM]
03-22-2007 at 05:38 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : The 40th (Slayer)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com