Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Garbled top of screen.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Garbled top of screen. (0)  
Hey, can anybody besides me reproduce this?

1. Set your video mode to 24-bit.
2. Start DROD.
3. Switch to windowed mode if you are in fullscreen.
4. Go to title screen.
5. Go to game sceen.
6. Check for a garbled area covering the top third or so of the screen. It should be pretty obvious.
7. Repeat steps 4,5,6 several times if you don't see the problem in step 6. It doesn't garble every time, but I usually get it within 5 tries. Maybe try 15 times before giving up.

I would like to know if anyone besides me is seeing this.

-Erik

09-16-2003 at 04:02 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Garbled top of screen. (0)  
By "video mode", do you mean "color quality?" On both of my computers, I can only set this to 16 or 32 bit, not 24. Perhaps you need to restart your computer before starting up DROD again when you change this? Unless you keep it on 24 bit all the time...but since you say to switch to that mode it seems like it isn't your default.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-16-2003 at 04:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 564
My NVidia display drivers only have 16 bit or 32 bit options. Nothing inbetween...
09-16-2003 at 04:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: Garbled top of screen. (0)  
StuartK wrote:
My NVidia display drivers only have 16 bit or 32 bit options. Nothing inbetween...
Yeah, you, Neil, and Mike are all in the same boat. Only some cards/drivers support the 24-bit mode it appears.

BTW, for anyone else who might be listening: If you can run the above tests in 24-bit mode, please report back results even if you DON'T see the garbling.

-Erik

09-16-2003 at 04:38 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
The boat's getting crowded here. Move over, Mike! Dangit Neil, get your elbow out of my face!

09-16-2003 at 04:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
I can switch to 24-bit, and I tried this 20 times each in 640x480, 800x600, and 1024x768 (all in windowed mode).

I'm not seeing it.
09-16-2003 at 06:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
I think Erik's pixels are wearing out. I think you can recharge your monitor at those places where they do ink cartridges.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-16-2003 at 03:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
24 bits is such an odd color depth I don't know why any monitor would display it at all. It's like an imaginary number or something; logically it can't exist, but it does. It's like a byte and a half. Ow, Schick, you stepped on my foot! :D

09-16-2003 at 08:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: Garbled top of screen. (0)  
Sokko wrote:
24 bits is such an odd color depth I don't know why any monitor would display it at all. It's like an imaginary number or something; logically it can't exist, but it does. It's like a byte and a half. Ow, Schick, you stepped on my foot! :D
Probably about half of the cards I've owned have displayed at 24bits. But my config is behind the times, so maybe 24-bit just isn't around in modern cards. I don't know.

As for oddness, it is actually a pretty obvious choice. Colors are expressed as combinations of red, green, and blue. 24 bits allows one byte for each of the three colors.

I am going to let this bug go unless maybe 2 or 3 people suddenly pop up and say they have the same thing.

-Erik

09-16-2003 at 08:36 PM
StuartK
icon Re: Re: Re: Garbled top of screen. (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
As for oddness, it is actually a pretty obvious choice. Colors are expressed as combinations of red, green, and blue. 24 bits allows one byte for each of the three colors.
The data path to the card will still be 32 bits though, so it would just mean extra padding of the data sent to the card.

Actually, my cheap n' cheesy graphics card on my PII does have a 24 bit option (I've not tested it yet) but I wouldn't use the resulution anyway, because it's /incredibly/ slow. As I remember, it's something to do with the limited memory on the card (24 bit does allow higher screen resolutions) and there needing to be a translation performed for every screen update.

I am going to let this bug go unless maybe 2 or 3 people suddenly pop up and say they have the same thing.
Can it be fixed with a driver update? Is it a known bug with your particular flavour of card? I get far superior performance at 32 bits, so is that option available for you?

[Edited by StuartK on 09-16-2003 at 08:00 PM]
09-16-2003 at 08:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Garbled top of screen. (0)  
StuartK wrote:
Can it be fixed with a driver update? Is it a known bug with your particular flavour of card? I get far superior performance at 32 bits, so is that option available for you?
It might be a problem with my specific card. I was in 32 bit mode and then I switched to 24 bit. The reason I switched to 24 bit was that the DROD graphics are internally stored as 24 bit, so I actually get better performance in DROD at 24 bit.

Later on we will probably change the internal graphic buffers to store in a color mode that always matches the current display, and this workaround won't matter.

-Erik

09-16-2003 at 09:10 PM
StuartK
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Garbled top of screen. (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
I was in 32 bit mode and then I switched to 24 bit. The reason I switched to 24 bit was that the DROD graphics are internally stored as 24 bit, so I actually get better performance in DROD at 24 bit.
Now I'm curious if the graphics were stored in 32 bit, whether my screen update would be faster on my Duron with 16-or-32 bit only display options. Is the fact some translation seems to be required slowing things down? This would probably be easier to fix than introducing the OpenGL display option that was mentioned before. Or am I just speaking rubbish? :D

[Edited by StuartK on 09-16-2003 at 08:21 PM]
09-16-2003 at 09:20 PM
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Garbled top of screen. (0)  
StuartK wrote:
Now I'm curious if the graphics were stored in 32 bit, whether my screen update would be faster on my Duron with 16-or-32 bit only display options. Is the fact some translation seems to be required slowing things down? This would probably be easier to fix than introducing the OpenGL display option that was mentioned before. Or am I just speaking rubbish? :D
The translation does slow things down. I'm not sure where you'll be with your Duron. Definitely try fullscreen, although it will request 24-bit mode as well and possibly end up doing translation again if it doesn't get 24-bit from your card. I suppose I should look into updating that, but it is too late into DROD:AE to consider it. We have many routines like the screen fade that depend on accessing pixels in 24 bit.

-Erik

09-16-2003 at 09:27 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Garbled top of screen.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com