Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Whither the contest compilations? (We're missing some...)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
IP: Logged
icon Re: Whither the contest compilations? (0)  
Sorting by rating is a pretty standard compilation tactic.

05-14-2012 at 06:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
I've checked the Master List of official Contests through 2007. Did anything happen in August 2007?

So... apparently there is no compilation for Five-Suite Speaking Grounds, our very first contest? I know the Ben Chisel entry was later published separately.

I'm not sure about the second contest, Dungeons of Snoll. There were only two entries; they might have been published separately.

War of the Dungeons does not merit a compilation in my opinion, since all rooms were puzzle-wise identical to existing rooms.

DROD Film Festival was in fact an architecture contest, and could probably be compiled just fine with 3.x scripting abilities.

Limited Resources had a compilation in beta by Swivel and apparently it never got done.

Story of You has no compilation.

Elemental Showcase had a compilation in progress by Tahnan.

I doubt we'll ever be able to compile the architecture portions of Secret Santa.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 05-14-2012 06:23 PM]
05-14-2012 at 08:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mouse
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 246
Jatopian wrote:

Later I may go through the Master List of Contests and see what others are missing compilations, though it would help if we could get that up to date. Le sigh.

I had a go at that but didn't want to necro 2 threads at once so the result is here. You're more than welcome to copy that post back into the right thread.
05-14-2012 at 03:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
Jatopian wrote:
I doubt we'll ever be able to compile the architecture portions of Secret Santa.

Chaco compiled 3/5 of them. You commented on it at the time, so maybe I've missed your meaning.

05-14-2012 at 04:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
I could give a hand with creating a couple of compilations if needed. Making non-puzzle rooms I'm decently competent at. :P

How many of these entries aren't Anyone Edit is the first problem, I imagine.

05-14-2012 at 05:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Jacob wrote: Chaco compiled 3/5 of them. You commented on it at the time, so maybe I've missed your meaning.
The meaning is that I forgot about that and didn't find it on searching. I'll cross that one off, then.
gamer_extreme_101 wrote: How many of these entries aren't Anyone Edit is the first problem, I imagine.
I believe there are ways around that for Caravel people... but I'd only want to use them in the event that we get the entrant's permission but he's lost the hold and can't provide us with an Anyone Edit copy.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 05-14-2012 06:35 PM]
05-14-2012 at 06:34 PM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2430
icon Re: Whither the contest compilations? (+3)  
Bumping this because we have had a veritable drought of contest compilations making it to HA lately. I looked back through a few pages to catch other contests, I don't have quite enough time on my hands to try to hunt down absolutely everything.

In addition to compilations mentioned above, I don't believe these have a published compilation, but I only glanced at some of these threads so I'm not sure. I'm just posting everything I find and we can sort out if any of these are feasible to compile later.

Secreted for length.

Click here to view the secret text

That's everything I had the energy to find. I don't believe anything else noted in this thread has been compiled (other than the things crossed off both lists).
03-28-2016 at 10:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: Whither the contest compilations? (+2)  
Bout time to bump this since we've been dropping the ball on getting contest holds published again. Most (though not all) of the ones in Fogel's post above are still unpublished. Here are some more recent ones (oldest to newest).

The Twelve Days of Christmas - Nuntar: No architecture thread yet.

Custom Element Contest - Xindaris: This one seems to be waiting on some edits to the hub and maybe some custom images? Not sure.

Take Five - Insoluble: This one is almost ready to go. I need to upload the map and playtest. It'll happen any day now I swear! Please feel free to publicly shame me for not publishing this yet, maybe it will get me to finally finish it up.

Hold Title Mixup Contest! -Xindaris: This one looks like it's probably just about ready to go?

Putting the Pieces Together - Dragon Fogel: This one just finished a couple of days ago, but I'm listing it for completeness. Fogel seems to be much more on the ball about this kind of thing than, for instance, I am. So it's likely that this one will get published sooner rather than later.

09-12-2017 at 06:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1527
icon Re: Whither the contest compilations? (+1)  
To reiterate what I've said several times, CEC compilation needs some testing of the new "hub puzzle" rooms by people who aren't me for "is this fairly easy for someone who completed the relevant level already?" and also commentary like "this is an okay room" or "this is a horrid, dull room I would not make my enemies play". I've lost some steam for making the remaining "easy hub puzzles" and that is on me to finish but my time and energy have been in a trough (think of a sine wave) for a while lately.

HTMC: superluminal needs to respond on the suggested changes to the non-conteder level Mothergrebbin' snakes, either by saying "yeah do them", posting a copy of the level where they did them, or by posting a copy of the level where they made some different changes to render the level clearable. It's been a while but I think that's the main and possibly only holdup, aside from Chaco at one point saying something about having an entry done too late to actually enter, and me saying that should also be a non-contender level if it exists. If it doesn't or he doesn't want it added, that's fine too, but it would be helpful if I knew whether it exists/should be added or not.

Here are some links to Things!

[Last edited by Xindaris at 09-13-2017 03:13 AM]
09-13-2017 at 03:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Xindaris wrote:
aside from Chaco at one point saying something about having an entry done too late to actually enter, and me saying that should also be a non-contender level if it exists. If it doesn't or he doesn't want it added, that's fine too, but it would be helpful if I knew whether it exists/should be added or not.

I only mentioned that I was working on one; as of today it's only half-done and I'm probably not going to finish it within the next two weeks. So, definitely don't wait for me, go right on ahead.

09-13-2017 at 03:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
superluminal
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 75
Don't include anything from my entry either, please.

09-13-2017 at 04:46 AM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
Xindaris wrote:
To reiterate what I've said several times, CEC compilation needs some testing of the new "hub puzzle" rooms by people who aren't me for "is this fairly easy for someone who completed the relevant level already?" and also commentary like "this is an okay room" or "this is a horrid, dull room I would not make my enemies play". I've lost some steam for making the remaining "easy hub puzzles" and that is on me to finish but my time and energy have been in a trough (think of a sine wave) for a while lately.

I too would really like to see this compilation released. Xindaris, I can test if you need some help. Do you need to add more rooms to move this along?

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
03-24-2018 at 02:33 AM
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1527
I wasn't ignoring your post, just using it as motivation to try and get things done. I've added all of the puzzles as of now, so more testing would definitely be appreciated.

I'm really sorry about how irresponsible I've been with this compilation. I just had a really hard time getting myself to work on it for what felt like forever.

Here are some links to Things!

[Last edited by Xindaris at 03-26-2018 11:03 PM]
03-26-2018 at 10:14 PM
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: Whither the contest compilations? (+4)  
So I was looking at this list again and thought it would be good to recognize that several of the contest compilations noted in this thread have been published since we last checked in. We're making progress!

Here are links to the compilations in question, in no particular order:

What You See Is What You Get
Hold Title Mixup
Putting the Pieces Together
Take Five
Cramped Confines
The Twelve Days of Christmas

While I'm at it, here's a shoutout to The Untold Tales of Gunthro Budkin, which was also run and brought to publication during this time.

Thanks to everyone who helped make these compilations possible. I hope this year we can bring some more contests, both old and new, all the way to the Holds board.
03-09-2019 at 06:31 PM
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
I'd also like to add that the Mix and Match contest still hasn't had an architecture thread.

Nuntar stated that he would make a level for the unused group, although I'm not sure if he still plans on doing that. There are also a few bug fixes that are needed, and I'd like to upload a fixed copy of my entry for the final compilation.

03-09-2019 at 07:59 PM
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: Whither the contest compilations? (+3)  
Bumping this topic with a slightly belated note that the Custom Element Contest has finally made it to publication!

In addition, I did a quick check and every architecture contest run since Mix and Match has had a compilation published. So we're getting better about this overall! Although we also had several months with no contests, which might have been a factor.

Also, it wasn't an architecture contest, but Make It More Challenging was a contest that involved a hold, and that hold was published a while ago.
07-08-2021 at 04:32 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Whither the contest compilations? (We're missing some...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com