Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Re: Birthdays
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
IP: Logged
icon Re: Birthdays (+4)  
Alright, folks, I am going to be Cruel and Demanding here.

Can we please. Please.

Pleasity please please mcpleasity please on a please-flavored whatchamcallit.

Get some sort of singular thread, or sticky, or some sort of singular sticky thread, or something for birthdays.

I appreciate that people have birthdays. In fact, I think nearly everybody has a birthday about once a year, unless you're one of those freaks who was born on a leap year. (really, what was your mother thinking? How rude of her.)

It also stands to reason that in a forum this large, we will have birthdays near every day.

Do we really. And truly. Need a thread for every single one? This is not a knock on Neather2, for the record, the fine fellow is simply in general beating you people to the bunch. You would all do it anyway, as you have been up till now.

03-17-2007 at 06:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neather2
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
icon Re: Birthdays (0)  
What i have to do, Now? I'm confused. : :look

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
03-17-2007 at 06:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
BDR
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 106
+1 for the Good Idea.

And really, if the extra day in a leap year is a Tuesday, you should blame the doctor instead (according to Uncle John's Bathroom Reader, they tend to schedule deliveries on Tuesdays as I recall).

Neather, Banjooie is saying that we should have just one thread in which all birthday announcements and congratulations should be placed, instead of having multiple threads for multiple people.
03-17-2007 at 07:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
What about, a single magic thread, which every single day clears its content, and then changes the topic into something like:
"Happy birthday {here are placed Borndaysers}"?

And maybe the content up to one week [or even forever] in the past would be archived, so people who had no chance to access Forum during their birthday can still read wishes, smile, feel happy and give some mod-ups?

And I really mean it, that's not a joke.

[Last edited by skell at 01-29-2012 08:45 PM : Going to the keep]
03-17-2007 at 07:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
icon Re: Birthdays (+1)  
I'm also starting to get a little tired of all the new birthday-threads, so I think I'll issue the following warning:
I will mod down whoever creates a new thread on my birthday.

If I notice that someone (that I feel like congratulating) has a birthday, I usually re-use the year-old thread for it (if it exists), unless someone else creates a new one (which is usually the case).

Anyway, a generic birthday thread has been attempted before, here:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=4215
It was unfortunately quite short-lived.

03-17-2007 at 07:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dolan42
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 195
Banjooie wrote:
In fact, I think nearly everybody has a birthday about once a year, unless you're one of those freaks who was born on a leap year. (really, what was your mother thinking? How rude of her.)

Hey! My wife was born on leap year! :angry
and I make fun of her for it 3 out of 4 years. :D

03-17-2007 at 08:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: Birthdays (+2)  
Maybe we could have a single thread for Banjooies sarcastic remarks as well. In that way he/she wouldn't "need" to post a lot of irrelevant things in already existing threads.

Seriously though I don't find the birthday threads that disturbing.
03-17-2007 at 09:15 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Blondbeard wrote:
Maybe we could have a single thread for Banjooies sarcastic remarks as well. In that way he/she wouldn't "need" to post a lot of irrelevant things in already existing threads.
Great idea!

[Last edited by Tim at 03-17-2007 09:25 AM]
03-17-2007 at 09:24 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Banjooie wrote:
Need a thread for every single one?
Nah, one thread per person should be enough for anybody - at least there's a reason to resurrect it once a year... :D

np: General Acoustic - Blue-Buddy-Bbq (Leichtes Hören Teil 1)

03-17-2007 at 09:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
What is this trend that seems to be shooting me down by modifying what I have said to be about me?

No, seriously.

In other news, you're..you're allowed to disagree with me about whether it's irritating? I am bringing up that 'hey, this is a possible alternative if other people are getting some sort of disease from it that makes their eyes shoot lasers at kittens' or something. I am more than willing to accept the possibility that people enjoy looking at individual special threads for each birthday.

Have I accidentally posted something I didn't--no, I don't think anywhere in here I have said 'clearly noone could possibly disagree with me on this.' In fact, I believe I started the thread going 'Hey, this is me being cruel and demanding.' If I can be any more clear as to how this is my individual tastes and opinion, somehow, please tell me.

I'm not entirely sure where this whole thing comes from that when I say something and it happens to be done in a humourous manner, clearly I am VIOLENTLY OPPOSED to anyone disagreeing with me, but while I am more than willing to sit here and argue for the sake of the lulz, a series of responses which essentially boil down to 'This is _____', 'Your FACE is _____' eventually make the whole thing not worthwhile?

Unless I am totally missing something and this is the intention?
03-17-2007 at 09:39 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Banjooie wrote:
Unless I am totally missing something?
I think you are missing something (but perhaps it's me). I didn't say I like B's idea.

I think it's like the story about the sheperd kid saying there was a wolf near his sheep but it wasn't. And after a few times people don't believe in him anymore.

Why is it that whatever I write in here, people are taking it seriously? :?

Back to topic, I think that everyone who puts their birthday in their profile wants to have their own birthday thread. Although I do agree that you must reuse a birthday thread from a year earlier.

My suggestion would be: Please reuse an old thread if there is one. And I might want to mod down anyone who doesn't do that. (Except, perhaps, when the number of people have changed.)

[Edit: ]But, just to make sure, I like birthday threads. But I'm not putting my birthday in here.

[Last edited by Tim at 03-17-2007 09:58 AM]
03-17-2007 at 09:54 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
One thread to rule them all, One thread to find them, One thread to bring them all and in the darkness bind them!

03-17-2007 at 10:28 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Birthdays (+2)  
Stefan wrote:
Anyway, a generic birthday thread has been attempted before, here:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=4215
It was unfortunately quite short-lived.

For those of you who can't be bothered to fully investigate that link, here's the important bit.

That's a reasonable idea.

I think it is still nice to get a separate post for your birthday, though. I'm not saying these are Rules That Must Be Followed, but as a suggestion if you really want to do a proper birthday shout-out:

1. You see somebody's birthday on the list at bottom of page.
2. Look him up in the "Member List". And see what posts he made. If he hasn't posted in the last three months, consider that he is probably inactive and not on the forum to notice you, so maybe not worth announcing a birthday for.
3. Try to learn some things about the person based on their posts. Did he post on the "Questionnaire" topic? If so, then read the entry and you'll get the gist of this persion.
4. Make a post that says a little more than "Happy Birthday" if you can. It can be nice to hear happy birthday from strangers, but even nicer to know that a stranger has a good-natured interest in learning something about you. That said, I think all the posts made before that were just "Happy Birthday!" were good too. I know Brittany liked seeing several people reply back to her birthday announcement post.

-Erik
If everyone followed that, I wouldn't care if they didn't revive the old thread or not. At least they're thinking about the person, and not just spamming the forum with 'Happy Birthday X'.
03-17-2007 at 12:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
aye. in principle, birthday threads in general aren't nearly as annoying as, say, birthday threads for people who aren't active in the forum and probably won't ever be. I third the "do a little research and post something meaningful on birthday" idea. If you can't be bothered, it's no more personal or meaningful to have a thread than to just have the forum put "happy birthday" right above the bar.

03-17-2007 at 01:23 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Neather2 wrote:
What i have to do, Now? I'm confused. : :look
Neather2, please only post birthday threads for people you know on the forum. Not every user whose name is shown on the list at the bottom.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-17-2007 at 02:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
ErikH2000 wrote:
That's a reasonable idea.

I think it is still nice to get a separate post for your birthday, though. I'm not saying these are Rules That Must Be Followed, but as a suggestion if you really want to do a proper birthday shout-out:

1. You see somebody's birthday on the list at bottom of page.
2. Look him up in the "Member List". And see what posts he made. If he hasn't posted in the last three months, consider that he is probably inactive and not on the forum to notice you, so maybe not worth announcing a birthday for.
3. Try to learn some things about the person based on their posts. Did he post on the "Questionnaire" topic? If so, then read the entry and you'll get the gist of this persion.
4. Make a post that says a little more than "Happy Birthday" if you can. It can be nice to hear happy birthday from strangers, but even nicer to know that a stranger has a good-natured interest in learning something about you. That said, I think all the posts made before that were just "Happy Birthday!" were good too. I know Brittany liked seeing several people reply back to her birthday announcement post.
This should be stickied at the top of Anything.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 03-17-2007 09:57 PM : quote tags fixed]
03-17-2007 at 09:50 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
I rarely, if ever (maybe once a year) read birthday threads. I do not mind that there are so many of them though, even if there are multiples per person. If I don't want to read it, I won't. It is the "Anything" forum after all. Even for the people who never post--I want to know that I *could* put a thread in Anything about my girlfriend's birthday, or my grandmother's birthday, or whoever's birthday I want. I probably won't, but I don't want any restrictions (aside from general forum etiquette) on Anything.

03-18-2007 at 02:03 AM
silver
Rank Points: 915
zex20913 wrote:
I don't want any restrictions (aside from general forum etiquette) on Anything.

I think we were discussing general forum ettiquette. the difference from a random thread to a systematic series of threads, each generated so regularly that they may as well be automatic, and containing so little unique content that they read as though they were automatic... is the difference between an anything thread and spamming the forum.

03-18-2007 at 02:34 AM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
icon Re: Birthdays (+1)  
I think this problem (and I agree that it has become a problem) mushroomed a while back because there was a spell when the person starting a birthday thread was awarded mod points, almost automatically. At that time (and I'm trying to be descreet here) mod points were definitely being seen as something to aquire urgently and having profile time set several hours ahead of GMT (and a good bit ahead of what would have been correct) facilitated that ploy.

I dont' think that birthday threads should be banned - that seems a little harsh - but I agree whole heartedly that they should only be made for those who visit the forums frequently.

I would also like to suggest that, as a general rule from now on, people who start birthday threads are not awarded mod points, unless the post is really unique or remarkable in some way. I think that might go a long way to sorting the problem and leaving those threads for forum members who are deserving.

03-18-2007 at 12:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Re: Birthdays
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com