Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Award Ceremony (Qualify for the coveted Gold Award.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.7/10 (31 votes)
σ 1.49
Author Name:LarryMurk
Submitted By:larrymurk
Hold Name:Award Ceremony
Theme:Qualify for the coveted Gold Award.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:4
Number of Rooms:41
Number of Monsters:259
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:5 (+6 / -1)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Award Ceremony.hold (13.6 KB)
Downloaded 2123 times.
License: Other
icon Award Ceremony  
Solve puzzles on the Bronze, Silver, and Gold levels to earn the prestigious Gold Award.

Testers Doom, eytanz, and wallu.
03-06-2007 at 12:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
icon Re: Award Ceremony (+1)  
Really cool, rated 9 and 7 brains.

03-06-2007 at 01:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 548
admin wrote:
Solve puzzles on the Bronze, Silver, and Gold levels to earn the prestigious Gold Award.

Testers Doom, eytanz, and wallu.

I got my Bronze medal :thumbsup

Unfortunately, I think Silver may take a little bit longer :(

Steve.
03-06-2007 at 02:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Enjoying the hold a lot. As usual with Larry's work.

Bronze and Silver were thinky, but manageable.

Gold has been...more difficult. Actually, I'm down to two rooms, which are both Clearly Impossible. So it could be worse, I guess.

(And don't get me started on the
Click here to view the secret text
)

Keep up the good work, Larry!

Josh

03-06-2007 at 06:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
captainzakku
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
icon Re: Award Ceremony (0)  
jbluestein wrote:

Gold has been...more difficult. Actually, I'm down to two rooms, which are both Clearly Impossible. So it could be worse, I guess.

I wonder if your 2 impossible rooms are any of the four impossible rooms I'm stuck on...

Some really cool puzzles so far, I'm off to H&S to maybe get through the rest of this level.

03-06-2007 at 09:16 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Heh! I'm down to two impossible rooms, and one more that kind of looks impossible ;)

Edit: Yey! I solved one of the impossible rooms. And it apears as if you guys have solved the other one. The one that looks really impossible.

Edit again: Not even the room that looked really impossible was impossible.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 03-07-2007 09:43 AM]
03-06-2007 at 09:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
Sweetness! A larrymurk hold where the first level sounds easy! I hope I earn the prestigious bronze award... :P I'll be sure to check this out, pronto.
03-06-2007 at 11:04 PM
Blondbeard
icon Re: Award Ceremony (+2)  
And mastered!

I think larrymurk is a great prophet of our time. He teaches us to reach for the impossible. Teaches us that nothing is really impossible if you only believe in yourself, and keeps on trying. This hold is full of exactly the type of rooms that I love. Easy rooms that is impossible unless you figure out the right way to solve them. I am pleased to anounce that of all the holds I have played, this is the second one to get a ten out of ten for raiting. I tried to find some rooms that I particulary liked, and I realized that I love every single one of the golden rooms, although the sothern rooms might be the best.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 03-07-2007 07:55 AM]
03-07-2007 at 07:50 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
What's this?

A room entirely based on serpent movement? Again?

Within two rooms?

I swear, playing your holds is like...it's like someone took a cake. A delicious chocolate cake. And then decided to fill it full of ground up metal. And then the metal, like. It's like you took the metal, and then you put, I don't know. Paprika or something on it. Because you HATE CAKE. I don't have a better explanation for this.

In any case, that's another writeoff for me. Yay!

03-07-2007 at 10:32 AM
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
And mastered! Any potential architects out there, make sure you play each any every hold by Larry before going too far. This guy is inspirational.

I loved all three levels, especially the "impossible" gold rooms.

Keep up the good excellent work Larry.

Banjooie wrote:
What's this?

A room entirely based on serpent movement? Again?
In any case, that's another writeoff for me. Yay!

Serpents aren't that bad once you get used to them. I recommend playing through Ssslitherin (with or without a serpent clock) and pay attention to the solutions in each room. Everything you need to know is in that hold. And it isn't too difficult.

Steve.
03-07-2007 at 12:51 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I must admit I sympathize with Banjooie here. The thing that was best about ssslitherin is that it put all the serpent puzzles in one hold that I could avoid playing at my leisure.

It's not that the serpents puzzles are less brilliant, or more difficult, than Larry's other puzzles. It's that they are less fun. Considerably. I really wish Larry would not use as many of them.

03-07-2007 at 01:57 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
I think it's a matter of taste. I happen to enjoy Larry's serpent puzzles a great deal...when I can solve them. I'm always impressed and amazed at the things he comes up with, no matter the monsters.

03-07-2007 at 02:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Yes. I too love the serpent puzzles. Perfection was the first hold that taught me how wonderful serpent puzzles can be, and then came Slitherin, and this, and many others :)

Also: For a huge diference to enjoyment between DROD 2.0 and AE is the clock. The serpent clock takes the enjoyment one step further.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 03-07-2007 03:16 PM]
03-07-2007 at 03:15 PM
captainzakku
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
And finally done. As many have said, each room was extremely well crafted, and no matter how hard I looked I couldn't find a single room that hadn't been thought out to the nth degree. I would be shocked if anyone found a trivial solution to any of them. I know, I looked very hard on a couple I was stuck on. And by a couple I mean roughly 27. Some of my favorites:

Bronze Entrance

Silver & Gold 1S 2E

Gold 1S 3E

Gold 1N 3E

Award Ceremony 1N

All in all, probably the best hold I have played so far, and the first Larrymurk hold I've completed. :thumbsup

03-07-2007 at 03:19 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Well, it's certainly a matter of taste. For me, any puzzle that requires me to look at the serpent part of my serpent clock automatically means less fun.

03-07-2007 at 03:20 PM
jbluestein
Aaand...mastered.

Excellent, excellent work.

I always feel good when I manage to find an unintended solution in a larrymurk hold. Admittedly, it wasn't trivial, but still...

The secret rooms were slightly anticlimactic, except for the one on the Award Ceremony level, which I liked alot (liked it a lot in its original incarnation, still liked it here). The others weren't bad, but they didn't seem to fit the tone of the rest of the hold very much.

The only sad thing about the whole hold is that it's over and I'll have to wait who knows how long for the next larrymurk hold.

I give this hold a 10, with 7.5 brains.

Josh

03-07-2007 at 03:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Stephen4Louise wrote:Serpents aren't that bad once you get used to them. I recommend playing through Ssslitherin (with or without a serpent clock) and pay attention to the solutions in each room. Everything you need to know is in that hold. And it isn't too difficult.
Steve.

Um, no. No, Slitherin is equally unenjoyable. Serpent movement puzzles, to me, are inherently hatable and irritating, and I refuse to play puzzles entirely based on them. I do not mind having to manipulate serpents to a great degree--if I'm seriously having to look at the clock for that 5 move nonsense for any reason other than optimization, however, it is +1 Escape, and +1 Change Location.

Congratulations, you have found the closest thing to random in DROD and you are dropping it into holds as fast and as repeated--NO.
03-07-2007 at 05:22 PM
kzc
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 212
Banjooie wrote:
if I'm seriously having to look at the clock for that 5 move nonsense for any reason other than optimization, however, it is +1 Escape, and +1 Change Location.
FTFY.

[Last edited by kzc at 03-07-2007 06:04 PM]
03-07-2007 at 06:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Andy101
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 222
A masterpiece! :thumbsup

Just one question, why is the easiest room in the hold positioned at Gold: 4E?

03-08-2007 at 09:03 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
That's what I thought! :D I guess easy is in the mind of the beholder.

[Last edited by Ezlo at 03-08-2007 09:30 PM]
03-08-2007 at 09:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Andy101 wrote:

I thought all the 4E rooms were pretty easy.
03-08-2007 at 09:31 PM
jbluestein
larrymurk wrote:
Andy101 wrote:

I thought all the 4E rooms were pretty easy.

They're just for Beethro to show off in, like the victory lap. ;)

Josh

03-08-2007 at 09:35 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Mastered! This was an awesome hold that was actually quite easier than it looks. Can't wait for the next one! :P

9 with 7.5 brains.

[Last edited by Ezlo at 03-08-2007 09:43 PM]
03-08-2007 at 09:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Vorsprung durch technic... and genius comes as standard.

Perfect!
03-09-2007 at 07:49 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
A 9 with 7 brains for me: a pretty enjoyable hold with a few very tricky rooms (I hate you, Gold 1S 1E) but still relatively easy... at least as far Larry goes.

The secret rooms felt somewhat of a letdown, though, especially the one on Silver which felt like 'hack'n'slash 101' (admittedly, I've gone through Lone Soldier a while ago). I'm not exactly the most serpent-friendly player out here, but I can't say I actively hated these rooms; Gold 1N 3E felt a bit tedious, but that's about as far as it goes.

On another note, my eyes thank the architect a *lot* for not putting the custom floor tiles in the actual puzzle rooms. I'll admit I was getting worried when I saw the tacky tiles in the first room.
05-09-2007 at 04:21 PM
Neather2
Rank Points: 406
Good Job larry, A great Hold! (Not a new news about you ;))
I give it 7.5 and 8 brains! :)

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
05-16-2007 at 05:47 PM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
I've conquered this a while ago.

This is one of the easiest larrymurk holds(how else can I explain that I needed Hints and Solutions board only one time for this hold? ;) ), but still awesome in quality and difficulty. I haven't completed secret rooms though.

Overall rating: 9 for fun, 7 for brains...

[Last edited by mxvladi at 02-27-2010 09:58 AM]
05-09-2009 at 08:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Banjooie wrote:
Congratulations, you have found the closest thing to random in DROD and you are dropping it into holds as fast and as repeated--NO.
Not really. I'd say that Snakes are close to random as Earth is close to sun. However Citizens are close to random as Earth's grass is close to earth.

Anyway, I enjoyed this hold pretty much, and I am quite amazed that despite it's Linchpin'ish nature I only had to check H&S board three times! I think that after four years of (really irregular) playing I finally am starting to get hang of it. Like most of people noticed, the secret rooms don't really fit to the rest of the hold, and I did not like them (especially that I had to conquer the tar room without demo!)

Speaking of random things, I think I will try my luck with the Ssslitherin now, I found out that I actually enjoy snake-manipulation puzzles now that I got hang of them :).

05-20-2009 at 10:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Note that Banj's post occured before the release of TCB. Though it would be interesting to hear some Banj commentary on builders, as well.

05-21-2009 at 12:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
I recently replayed this wonderful hold to replace some 2.0 scores that got munched by the changes in blown up tar baby movement order.

I have to say playing it for the second time was even more fun for me than the first time. Two years of practice have made the Rabbit a much better player. And I'm even more in awe of how Larry made such tricky puzzles using only simple DROD tricks.

Some of my favorite "simple" rooms include:
Bronze 1N1E and 4E
Silver 1S1E and 1S3E
Gold 1N2E and 1S3E
09-14-2009 at 07:03 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Award Ceremony (Qualify for the coveted Gold Award.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com