Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Deep Hold (.....Depth is Everything.....)
Page 3 of 13
4567>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
The_Red_Hawk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 783
IP: Logged
icon Re: Deep Hold III - Next Version (0)  
It's on page 1.....

So could someone please do it for me?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
11-06-2003 at 06:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
I've got an anyone-editable version now. PM me an email address to send it to.

11-06-2003 at 06:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
And heeeeere's Level 8!

By the way, how am I doing? What does everyone think of my hold so far?

(best/worst rooms, favourite parts, maybe requests, esp. reviews, etc.)

11-09-2003 at 07:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
OK, here's level 9.....

P.S. I finally was able to put the hold together again. This now includes all the levels.

Wait...there's a couple of "bugs..." I need to enforce my solutions so I'm taking it off for now.

OK, good. Here it is.

[Edited by The_Red_Hawk on 11-10-2003 at 09:45 PM GMT]

11-10-2003 at 03:20 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Two problems with Level 7 that I've encountered:

If you enter the Entrance from 1W, you end up on a yellow door, which is, although not very serious, a sort of stylistic problem. I think I can also see this problem in the passage between 1E and 1N 1E with a red door, but I may be wrong.

I think in 1E...

Click here to view the secret text

The problem is that the serpent seems to have a peculiar aversion to stepping on that square facing west when I try to move Beethro to the square north of it to strike the orb. Are you sure it is possible to kill the serpent?

However, I liked 1W with its difficult serpent/monster manipulation puzzle in situ, and Tar chamber 6 in 1S was rather clever too.

[Edited by agaricus5 on 11-10-2003 at 09:54 PM GMT]

11-10-2003 at 09:51 PM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
Are you sure it is possible to kill the serpent?

It is possible.

However I downloaded the level 8 version and it doesn't have a warp to lvl 8 so I won't be playing it because I don't want to do lvl 7 again.
11-11-2003 at 12:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Yeah, sorry. I forgot about that.

In the version IX, you have to jump from level 1 to level 6, where you will find three more level jumps which will take you to levels 7, 8, and 9.

11-11-2003 at 01:31 AM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
I must say, I'm really enjoying level 8. It's quite different than the rest of your levels - these are more on the "Not incredibly tough, but very enjoyable" level.

11-12-2003 at 09:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Thanks, but.....wait, I forgot to put in the trapdoors for 2N. I just had crumbly walls before this, because I did it out on paper instead. So here's the correct version...and now you can get a sneak peek at level 10's entrance room when you're done.

But you don't really need to download this I guess, because you'll get it next version anyways.

11-12-2003 at 11:03 PM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
I liked both level 8 and 9. Don't understand your clues on the exit for level 8. Might try and work out the orbs but its really going to be annoying.
11-12-2003 at 11:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
If you need help, PM me.

Hint: The letters start with "A" at the top left.

11-13-2003 at 05:19 PM
The_Red_Hawk
And NOW.....

Deep Hold has 10 levels.

Anyways, I'm going to post this to the ACDOD in a few days. Could I please have some feedback before then? Thanks.....

[Edited by The_Red_Hawk on 11-15-2003 at 02:58 PM GMT]

11-15-2003 at 02:57 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
The scroll in beginning of level 6 is quite deceptive - given that the warp stairs are in the room, and the fact that the exit to the rest of the level is hidden, and the fact that there's a scroll telling you there is no level 6, in essence the entire level is sort of a secret level at the moment, since players who weren't around for the development process might skip it.

11-15-2003 at 03:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Ok, now that I'm finally playing level 7 -

I really like it, BUT you need to add some checkpoints. In 1S, you have a checkpoint between the penultimate tar area and the mother area - but you need one before the penultimate tar area, since that's the hardest area of the room.

In 1E, you really need a checkpoint between the queen area and the trapdoor area - it's really frustrating to beat the roach hordes only to make a mistake on the trapdoors and have to restart. A checkpoint in the queen area (so if you die at the last few queens you don't have to do it all over) would be nice too, but not as important.

Also, the solution where you solve the Entrance from where you start is still possible.

Wait a minute - is it even possible to get from 1E to 1N1E (level 7)? As far as I can see, there's no way to drop all the red doors in 1E... (note - I did manage to kill the serpent, despite the problems above - I'm not sure if you changed this since the earlier comments or whether I was just luckier.

[Edited by eytanz on 11-15-2003 at 04:11 PM GMT]

[Edited by eytanz on 11-15-2003 at 05:31 PM GMT]

11-15-2003 at 04:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Anyway, I skipped down to level 8, and I must say, I really, really love it. Both the concept and the execution are great. One comment - in L8 1S1W, it's possible to kill all the snakes by standing on the scroll with your sword facing east.

11-15-2003 at 05:30 PM
The_Red_Hawk
OK, I added the checkpoints, but.....

In the "level 7" room on level 8, I don't know how to change it...it's an ingenious solution, but I'll probably leave it that way.

In the real level 7 1E, you are... well, I'd better not give it away.

I can't get the secret text to work, so.....

[Edited by The_Red_Hawk on 11-15-2003 at 05:42 PM GMT]

11-15-2003 at 05:41 PM
eytanz
As to level 7 - I did manage to enter 1N1E from the east - but I don't see how it's possible to complete it from that side; I keep dying at the entrance.

11-15-2003 at 06:12 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Oh, it's solvable - and it's a very simple solution. Remember.....

"There are two ways to kill monsters, swinging and stepping, but mastery of both is necessary."

11-15-2003 at 08:09 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Anyways, I *really* need feedback before Wednesday or Thursday, which is when I'll post to the ADCOD. Eytanz's suggestions were good, but I want to make Deep Hold the best it can be before then. If you could, please focus on these things:

1. Rooms that are too easy/hard
2. Trivial solutions that are obviously not the ones I want
3. Any good alterations to the rooms - obstacles, monsters, checkpoints, etc.

Any other things that could help would be greatly appreciated.

11-15-2003 at 11:05 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
I don't think your expectations are realistic. This hold is huge...it's going to take a long time for enough people to play it all the way through to give you feedback. And why does it need to be done so fast anyway?

I am playing through and enjoying level 8, but pretty slowly. I got frustrated with 1W of level 7 so I stopped there. Level 9 I started out and it looks doable so far but I am focusing more on level 8. When I finish that I will give some suggestions, or if you really need to meet your deadline I can give you what I have up to that point (which isn't much, the rooms are fine so far, I am on the level 11 one now).

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-16-2003 at 01:14 AM
eytanz
I'm playing levels 7-9 simultaneously - I've written about levels 7 and 8 above and have nothing new yet. Level 9 is fine as it is - I like it a lot and don't have any suggestions for changes.

But I agree with Oneiromancer - you aren't allowing people enough time to give detailed comments. And in fact, the hold is so big that comments will probably only address the major problems, since I doubt anyone has time to write comments for every room or even every level. If you want to meet your deadline, you'll just have to live without them.

11-16-2003 at 01:22 AM
The_Red_Hawk
I mean just general comments that really need addressing ;)

11-16-2003 at 01:46 AM
eytanz
Well, one comment on L8 2E:

11-16-2003 at 05:28 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Oops, my mistake.

11-16-2003 at 01:45 PM
eytanz

File: stuck.JPG (108.6 KB)
Downloaded 115 times.
License: Other
Is level 8, 2N solvable? The red door is next to trapdoors - it won't open until all trapdoors are gone, but once they are, there's no way to get there. I looked for secret passages, but I couldn't find any (that would help).

I added a screenshot of me being stuck, just so it's clear what the problem is.

[Edited by eytanz on 11-16-2003 at 04:56 PM GMT]

11-16-2003 at 04:49 PM
Oneiromancer
Ah, I was going to post something in the vein of Vizzini from The Princess Bride, saying how easy this room was, but it appears that this is one that Red_Hawk fixed at some point, because my version doesn't have the red door, and it fact was an utterly trivial solution, with the crumbling walls instead of trapdoors. This one looks much tougher, so I guess I can't help.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-16-2003 at 06:51 PM
eytanz
So the question is - which of us has the newest version? And why would a level 15 tribute has crumbly walls instead of trapdoors in the first place?

11-16-2003 at 06:54 PM
Oneiromancer
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
Thanks, but.....wait, I forgot to put in the trapdoors for 2N. I just had crumbly walls before this, because I did it out on paper instead. So here's the correct version...and now you can get a sneak peek at level 10's entrance room when you're done.

You do, but I don't want to play through the other rooms again. But I guess in this case I'm the only one who can play past 2N, unless this is somehow how it was intended.

Game on,

11-16-2003 at 07:23 PM
eytanz
I'm basically waiting for confirmation from redhawk that the room is indeed broken, and then I'll probably hack into it and fix the room myself - I really don't want to lose all my progress in this and level 7 (levels 9 and 10 don't matter much because I've completed them).

By the way, Redhawk - as for general comments, one thing that strikes me is that a lot of your later levels are easier than your earlier levels. And level 10 was easier for me by far than either level 7 or 9.

11-16-2003 at 07:27 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
And I do think it's a shame that a hold of this scope is going to the ACDOD, unless I've misunderstood the purpose of the ACDOD.

Matt

11-16-2003 at 08:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 3 of 13
4567>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Deep Hold (.....Depth is Everything.....)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com