Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Deep Hold (.....Depth is Everything.....)
<<891011
Page 12 of 13
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
vAmpir
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 27
IP: Logged
icon Re: Deep Hold XXIV (+2)  
I just finished played the whole hold and I may say that I enjoyed it. Just one bug: It is not possible to finish L24
Click here to view the secret text

11-18-2004 at 07:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 783
icon Re: Deep Hold XXIV (0)  
Yes, I know about that, and it has been fixed for the next version.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
11-18-2004 at 02:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
icon Re: Deep Hold XXIV (+3)  
Deep Hold XXV

Delved deeper down than 'Neatherville....

More dreaded than the greatest dragon....

Larger than the Smitemasters' Guild Hall....

Welcome to....

DEEP CITY!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - -

Well, there's a problem with the scrolls, and they don't show up right now till I can get back to my other computer. Also, the final room is not yet done, so just go through the crumbly wall.

As everyone has recommended, I will now give out a limited number of Anyone Edit versions. The one attached here is not Anyone Edit. PM me with your e-mail address and I will send one to you.

I know most of the JtRH testers won't be playing this, and a lot of other people will be preferring to think about the new version, but I hope some people will still test for me.

-Red Hawk, who has now finished the first version of Deep Hold that includes all 25 levels. :)

[Edited by The_Red_Hawk at Local Time:11-22-2004 at 12:46 AM]

11-22-2004 at 12:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
I know most of the JtRH testers won't be playing this, and a lot of other people will be preferring to think about the new version, but I hope some people will still test for me.
That's the spirit! If you stop making holds, the terrorists win! ...or something. :)

-Erik

11-22-2004 at 12:46 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vAmpir
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 27
In the last version you changed the entrance in level 24. Is it possible now?

11-22-2004 at 01:16 PM
The_Red_Hawk
icon Re: Deep Hold XXV (0)  
Yes, it's possible.

Anyways, there are still testing spots! Sign up, people!!!!!

11-22-2004 at 11:25 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
I'm interested in having a look at the hold, to see how it's progressed, but the sort of feedback I give for holds is in-depth analysis, which might not be what you're after.

If you want my help (when I'm not testing JtRH), then PM me to confirm it, and I'll then PM you my e-mail address.

11-23-2004 at 12:02 AM
agaricus5
icon Hold Analysis Part 1 (+1)  
I've had a little bit of free time, so I decided to take a look at the hold as an overall.

I would say that the hold definitely needs a good reshuffle - the difficulty gradient is highly uneven, and many rooms in later levels appear to be easier than earlier rooms.

However, the quality of the rooms in terms of skills required, aesthetics and originality do go up as you go deeper, which is a good thing. However, I must stress that your aim, encapsulated in this thread's subtitle "Depth is everything...", is probably the wrong way to go about really polishing off this hold.

Apart from the room art, the hold's only major quality as it is now is its size, which is, in my opinion, not exactly the most important thing about a hold. Even if this hold is the biggest ever made, it still won't be a very good hold if this is its only strength. What I've noticed is that many of your rooms lack variation - many rooms are very derivative of each other and themes are too often repeated. Basically, although a room may be interesting and challenging in its first encounter, after four or five similar rooms later on, the idea becomes a bit boring.

Also, some of your rooms are also a little pointless and annoying (although this is more so only in earlier levels), which also detract from the hold's quality.

My advice to you would be to sift through your hold thoroughly and try to remove as many of these sorts of rooms as you can. This should reduce the dilution of the better rooms, and so give your hold an overall better feel. Also, I would also advise moving rooms or levels around to put easier ones nearer the start and harder ones near the end.

If your finished product doesn't fill 25 levels, don't make it do so for the sake of it. I'd rather play a smaller hold with more interesting rooms on average, than to play a large hold with interesting rooms less common.

I also had a look at some rooms in more detail, and I'll post them here for now, but if you want future analyses of this sort done more privately, then I can PM/e-mail them to you instead:

When I have time to do more analysis, I'll post my opinions.

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:11-27-2004 at 02:01 AM]

11-27-2004 at 02:00 AM
agaricus5
icon Hold Analysis Part 2 (+2)  
I've had some spare time to look at the hold, so here are some more comments for level 3:

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:12-05-2004 at 02:43 PM]

12-04-2004 at 09:07 PM
techant
Rank Points: 854
icon Re: Deep Hold XXV (+1)  
I thought it would be fun to try my hand at testing in the Architecture forum and Deep Hold XXV sounded like a great hold to start with. I do not have the skill and experience of agaricus5 but I thought my inexperience might be an asset. Keep this in mind when you read my suggestions. :)

I have played Level 1 and just finished Level 2.

Level 1 comments:

Level 2 comments:

[Edited by techant at Local Time:12-18-2004 at 09:06 AM: typos]

12-18-2004 at 08:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
Well I found the exit for level 2 but I had to look through the forum ( in the early pages) for some kind of hint.

Has spoiler stuff:

[Edited by techant at Local Time:12-18-2004 at 09:01 AM]

12-18-2004 at 08:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Thanks for adding your comments as well. You can be assured that most of them will make it into the hold, when I'm able to get back to it. :)

If you want to make your job easier, I can get you an Anyone-Edit version if you PM me your e-mail address.

12-18-2004 at 03:08 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Ah well. The testing is going pretty slowly, so I just thought I'd put out another call for people who can have Anyone-Edit versions if they PM me their e-mail address.

Pleeeeeeeeeease? :P

01-24-2005 at 05:27 PM
agaricus5
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
Ah well. The testing is going pretty slowly, so I just thought I'd put out another call for people who can have Anyone-Edit versions if they PM me their e-mail address.

Pleeeeeeeeeease? :P
Well, you've not responded to me at all in the last month or so, so to me, testing your hold doesn't have a high feedback to effort ratio, and I lost interest in it.

If I know that the time and effort I spend writing out my analysis of your hold isn't in vain, then I'll do it properly. Otherwise, I won't make it a priority, since it's very time consuming, and it appears I'm mostly being ignored, which I find quite irritating.

01-24-2005 at 11:19 PM
The_Red_Hawk
I'm still working on it when I can, but I haven't been able to with all my homework, projects, and stuff. Of course I am interested in your feedback to make my hold better. :)

01-25-2005 at 05:19 PM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
I'm not surprised that progress is slow, since you never seem to read your PMs.

01-27-2005 at 03:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Sorry - I read it the day you sent it, but I haven't had time to respond. I'm just really busy. :(

01-29-2005 at 03:45 AM
agaricus5
icon Hold Analysis Part 3 (0)  
I received your e-mail, so I'll start testing again for you.

Your hold sort of declines in quality towards the early/middle part of the hold, and there are very many tedious rooms, so I'm now going to work backward and jump levels if necessary (Note: Because of this, you need to do something about the quality dilution problem, or it's going to affect the fun factor of the hold).

Overall, a reasonable level, but not up to the standard of some of the rooms in other levels.

I'm going to state again that I think your hold suffers from too much dilution of quality. Even Dugan's Dungeon hasn't got as many rooms, and a lot of this hold is not comparable in quality to some of the better holds out there, like Claythro Tower, A Quiet Place, Phil's Dungeon and King Reubus' Palace, for example.

There are good puzzles and rooms in your hold, and many scattered puzzles that would be better condensed into one room rather than several. You've just got too much tedium, slashfest, and boring or uninspired puzzles in between, which is really bringing down the overall average quality of the hold. If you really want to get the most out of your hold, you may want to take my advice in this draft Architects' Toolkit, and filter your less interesting rooms out, or modify them to improve them.

Remember that size/depth is not everything, contrary to what you may believe. If your hold is to be renowned only for its size, and not its quality, then it's not really going to do your better rooms justice. To take an analogy, it's like you've written a coursework essay about 20 pages long, compared to most people who only wrote 3-4. If even the best student wrote it in 4 pages, and scored a very high mark, are 20 pages really necessary to get your point across, and is most of it just unrequired waffle?

If your hold won't attain a depth of 25 levels, or surpass the 300 room limit, is it that important? I'm sure most people would rather play a shorter hold that's full of ingenious, unusual, original and memorable puzzles, than a very long hold that's tedious, boring, repetitive and unoriginal.

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:01-30-2005 at 01:26 AM]

01-30-2005 at 01:23 AM
The_Red_Hawk
icon Re: Hold Analysis Part 3 (0)  
agaricus5 wrote:
Your hold sort of declines in quality towards the early/middle part of the hold, and there are very many tedious rooms...

Yes, I am planning a complete remake of many of the rooms.

Remember that size/depth is not everything, contrary to what you may believe. If your hold is to be renowned only for its size, and not its quality, then it's not really going to do your better rooms justice.

I know [sigh]. In retrospect, it was a mistake to put "Depth is Everything" on the subtitle for this topic - it was just for fun. That's why I need the testing, as well as looking at a lot of it myself.

If your hold won't attain a depth of 25 levels, or surpass the 300 room limit, is it that important?

I know it isn't.

Don't worry, I'm not offended, even if I sound that way. :P I take it as constructive criticism.

I'll address the specific room ideas in the e-mail to the testers. After this weekend, I might not be able to get back to working for a while due to a school trip this coming week.

I feel as if there was something important I forgot to say, but I don't think so. :)

01-30-2005 at 02:37 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Agaricus5 wrote

01-30-2005 at 07:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Doom wrote:
Agaricus5 wrote

01-30-2005 at 12:42 PM
agaricus5
icon Hold Analysis Part 4 (+1)  
Well, I'm a little too tired for some strenuous playing, so here are some comments for those levels I think should be removed, for one reason or another.

Also, don't just replace these levels with others that don't really help make your hold better, and are just there to keep the level count to 25. Quality is far better than quantity.

02-02-2005 at 10:49 PM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
L20 2N 2W needs some check points. You can't hope to do a tar maze (especially without a tar mother) in one try. And there are two in this room. And you start the room with a fairly tedious killing of about 50 wraithwings.

Also, giving a warning like "Make sure you consider everything before you cross a force arrow":
A) Should be pretty obvious to anybody who's beat KDD level 5, let alone someone on level 20 of your dungeon.
B) Is pretty freaking annoying because I CAN'T consider everything before I cross a force arrow since a third of the room is buried under tar.

(I apologize for being curt, but I already spent several hours today working on another one of the tar rooms on this level with a ridiculous amount of trapdoors which aren't visible at the start of the level. At least that one had check points)

[Edited by stigant at Local Time:02-06-2005 at 03:40 AM]

02-06-2005 at 03:31 AM
stigant
L20 1N3W - by the 4th snake, I've got it. Either change the puzzle or end it after 4 or 5 snakes. Theres no reason to make us suffer through 15 of them.

02-09-2005 at 05:05 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Okay, I'll look at those as soon as I get back to my computer.

02-09-2005 at 02:46 PM
Stefan
Please tell me if you want to get these bug reports privately in the future.

I've played the first five levels completely, so they're guaranteed solvable. In general, there are WAY too many monsters in some of the rooms, and too many rooms with things hidden under tar. In some cases it seemed as if you intentionally made it tedious and annoying. Also, there's sometimes problems with continuity between the rooms (purely an aesthetic problem, but the quality of the hold would improve if these were fixed). The difficulty is also quite uneven; the hold would benefit greatly from a reshuffle of the rooms.
I haven't mentioned every occurrence of these general problems, and many of the bugs I've specified are about extra mimic potions (I've assumed that every mimic would have a purpose of its own, so just ignore these 'bugs' if you purposely put more potions than was needed).

I apologize if I've reported bugs that has previously been mentioned. I haven't had the time to read through the entire thread... ;)

Level One:
2N: Walls hidden under tar. Not exactly my favourite type of puzzle (and unfortunately there's lots of it in the hold). Why is there an opening to the north when there's no room there?

1N1W: There are far too many queens here.

1N1E: You don't really need the mimic, although killing the excessive amount of roaches takes less time with it.

1W: I'd suggest putting a checkpoint somewhere in the eastern part of the room. Otherwise conquering the room from the east is a bit too tedious.

1E: You only need one mimic.

1S1E: There's a crumbly wall (NE) that seems to lead to an another room, only it doesn't (because that room doesn't exist)

2S: You only need one mimic (in fact, it's easier with only one mimic).

Level Two:
1N1W: I don't think I would've played this room without a map (from the editor).

3S1E: I'm not sure this is unintended, but

Level Three:
2N: I don't really know what was supposed to be difficult about this room (maybe it's because I always look at the editor to see the things hidden under the tar whenever there is a room like that)

2N1E: You only need one mimic (and you only need to hit one orb).

1N3W: Again, only one mimic is needed.

Level Four:
1E/1S1E: You get stuck if you go through the passage between these rooms.

Level Five:
1E: Probably intended, but you can do each section separately without the other mimic interfering.

1S1E: Only one mimic needed.

1S2E: This room is possible to complete from two different entrances. One of them (N) seems more intentional, but they might as well both be.

I'm almost certain I've forgotten something, so I may post additions to these bug at some point.

02-09-2005 at 10:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
I need a hint for L3 1N 2E - I can see the mimics are needed for killing the brains in the centre area and the queens in their little area, but if I use them for these purposes, I'm left without any protection from the horde waiting to get me after the snake dies. What am I missing?

02-10-2005 at 12:16 AM
Stefan

02-10-2005 at 12:39 AM
stigant
L20 1S 4W - I'm not sure if you intended for the red door to be required, but its not.

02-10-2005 at 04:18 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Stefan wrote:
Please tell me if you want to get these bug reports privately in the future.

No, it's okay.

I've been looking at changes, and the new updates should be ready by this weekend.

02-10-2005 at 05:19 PM
<<891011
Page 12 of 13
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Deep Hold (.....Depth is Everything.....)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com