Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The other sniping poll (A multiple question poll)
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
What should the #1 demo reflect?
The best possible solution to the room
The best application of concepts anyone has created for the room (for finding the best solution)
Both, if possible
Something else
I abstain
If you picked both, which of the two is more important, should they conflict with each other?
The best possible solution to the room.
The best application of concepts anyone has created for the room (for finding the best solution)
Neither/I don't care
I picked something entirely different.
I abstain.
If someone really cares about #1 scores, and they get a flawed #1...
...they will work on the room to get it just right before doing anything else.
...they will work on it a bit, but not necessarily inspect every detail before moving on.
...they will move on, because "hey, I got an untied #1, what more do I need to do?"
...they will do something else not mentioned here.
...they will abstain from answering this question.
What do you think of sniping?
It is good because it takes the best solutions and makes them better.
It is good because it encourages people to work on their demos if they want to keep their high score
It is good because it encourages competition.
It is bad because the sniper is stealing the results of someone else's effort.
It is bad because if you miss a flaw you won't get a chance to see/fix it without losing your place.
It is bad because there's no easy way to keep demos from being uploaded until they're really done.
I like sniping.
I don't like sniping.
I'm torn/I both like and dislike it.
I don't care.
I have a completely incompatible opinion with these other options.
I abstain.
If you saw a #1 video made over a year ago and noticed a very simple way to save moves, you would...
...PM this person and tell them how to fix it so they can maintain their position.
...go through the room using their solution, minus the mistake.
...try to find an even better solution, or a different one that works just as well.
...consider ways to possibly improve it besides what you saw, and if you find nothing else move on.
...decide the ethical dilemma was not worth it and move on to a different room.
...scoff at the fools who passed up such a simple opportunity and move on, chuckling to yourself.
...do something completely different.
...pass up this question for the next one.
If you saw a #1 made in the last few days with an obvious flaw, you would...
...PM this person so they could fix their mistake and keep their place.
...go through the room using their solution, minus the mistake.
...try to find an even better solution, or a different one that works just as well.
...consider ways to possibly improve it besides what you saw, and if you find nothing else move on.
...decide the ethical dilemma was not worth it and move on to a different room.
...scoff at the fools who passed up such a simple opportunity and move on, chuckling to yourself.
...do something completely different.
...pass up this question for the next one.
How do you feel about the week-long deadline for matching/beating a sniped score?
It's too long. Sniping is a legal tactic and this punishes it too much.
It's too short; some people go on vacation and such and won't get the email in time to fix the demo.
It's just right.
It's fine as long as my demos aren't made null and void by it.
The idea itself is flawed; the original system was better/this won't fix the problem.
I have another opinion not mentioned here.
No comment.
This poll was...
Good
Bad
Meh
Incomplete
Better than Maurog's [>_>;; sorry, I couldn't resist.. please don't hurt me]
None of the above.
Pressing Vote will vote for all of the questions. Make sure you have voted in each one!
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
BDR
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 106
IP: Logged
icon The other sniping poll (+1)  
I felt after reading the topic on how high scores and sniping were going to be changed (as well as Maurog's poll) that there needed to be another poll on the subject that would hopefully represent the different opinions better as well as get closer to the heart of the matter in the first place. Allow me to tell you the story of my #1:

I was playing through MetDroid Prime. I got to a room on the Overworld that had a red door and lots of trapdoors. "Ugh," I said, "not another trapdoor optimization puzzle. I see a crumbly wall over there; I'll come back to this room later." So I went there, and I cleared that secret room, and I came back. I beat the room from the opposite side, and lo and behold I get an untied #1. "What's this? I got an untied #1?" And so I looked at what had been the #1 score (Stuart's 369) and found that it was highly optimized, but finished from the other side of the room, making it take 4 more moves than even my greatly screwed up demo (for reference, the room in question is this one), simply because going through the cracked walls near the top to get to the trapdoors on the right is much more costly than simply starting over there and doing the roaches on the left side last instead of first. I then proceeded to fix up the obvious flaws in my demo with a second run, and knocked it down to an even 350 moves. But I wasn't satisfied with my move count or my time, so I looked at the other demos on the list, and found a way to shave off 2 more moves by simply changing the order of single trapdoor visitation (in the corridor near the large group of trapdoors on the left) a bit, bringing it down to the current 348.

So, what exactly did I do here? I didn't intend to break the record; I merely stumbled upon it. I (and others) can still claim I uniquely came up with the solution, however, as I did it on my first run (upon which it isn't possible to see and thus copy demo moves anyway). I rather think, though, that protecting my record would be a slightly different affair than protecting the record of someone who spent lots of time coming up with ways to shave moves off an already fairly well-designed route, at least if the big concern is that work done on creating the best route possible is going to waste and not being credited to the people who originally did the work (and instead to those who edit out the mistakes). I only worked at my record after I achieved it (and more or less by either taking out the obvious problems and taking other techniques from other demos); these people worked to achieve that record. Who is more deserving of protection? If both of us are equally deserving of protection, then what is actually being protected? And what is more, I 'borrowed'/stole techniques from other demo makers to enhance and protect my own; how different is that from what a sniper does? I did my borrowing after taking the #1 spot, the sniper does it to take the #1 spot; but we are both responsible of intellectual theft of a sort. Punishing one while allowing the other seems inconsistent, and it seems that the current fix does exactly that.

A question comes to my mind on this subject: Is there one best solution to any given room? The answer to me seems to be obviously yes. But if this is true, then what's the challenge of the high scores? Seems pretty obvious again: To see who can come up with, if not the best solution then the closest to best solution first. The best players? The ones who can come up with the best/nearest to best solution most often. What is sniping? The practice of taking high scores away from others by eliminating small, obvious errors in a given route. But what does sniping end up with? A #1 that is closer to the best solution. So, if you believe the best solution is what the #1 demo should come as close as possible to being, sniping seems like a very acceptable practice.

An objection here comes to mind: What about the DROD solver? Well, the high score list was designed with humans in mind. Humans make things interesting because humans don't have infinite time or patience to devote to this game and so, while they provide plenty of competition there's also plenty of room for improvement and incentive to find such improvements. Computer programs, even the excellently designed ones that can rival and even beat humans are not as interesting for DROD because all they need is infinite power and infinite time to come up with the best solution for any given room. The challenge is not simply about finding the best solution, it is about which one of us limited entities can find it/find the closest possible variant first, and which of us can do it the most often.

So where does that put me? In the middle somewhere. I won't lie; if I have to choose between protecting the person who came up with a general route first and giving the #1 to the person who cleaned up the mistakes without adding anything really new, I'll give it to the sniper after a day of the original route maker knowing he's been beaten. What I don't understand is why a person with obvious mistakes in a natural #1 won't bother to fix them ASAP: If he/she really cares about the high scores, then he/she would fix them (or at least I would if I were him/her). If they didn't notice the errors, then what seperates the sniper from someone who comes up with a one move change to the previously-thought-perfect route in a different room? If I had not bothered to fix up my #1 at 365 moves, or if I had stopped at 350 moves, I feel the next person to come along and shave off the extra moves would have been well within their right to take my #1 away. I still feel this way, honestly: If someone out there can find a flaw in my demo, be my guest and take it away. If I'm upset, I'll be upset at myself for not noticing the error, and if it's bigger than a wait or wall bump then I'll tip my hat to you gracefully.

And that.. is pretty much how I feel about sniping. What do you think about it?
02-27-2007 at 05:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: The other sniping poll (0)  
BDR wrote:
What I don't understand is why a person with obvious mistakes in a natural #1 won't bother to fix them ASAP: If he/she really cares about the high scores, then he/she would fix them (or at least I would if I were him/her).
Perhaps they just don't have the time to sit down and work the kinks out of it. Bear in mind that what is an obvious mistake for people varies, which complicates the matter.
02-27-2007 at 06:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
halyavin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
icon Re: The other sniping poll (+1)  
BDR wrote:
A question comes to my mind on this subject: Is there one best solution to any given room? The answer to me seems to be obviously yes. But if this is true, then what's the challenge of the high scores? Seems pretty obvious again: To see who can come up with, if not the best solution then the closest to best solution first. The best players? The ones who can come up with the best/nearest to best solution most often. What is sniping? The practice of taking high scores away from others by eliminating small, obvious errors in a given route. But what does sniping end up with? A #1 that is closer to the best solution. So, if you believe the best solution is what the #1 demo should come as close as possible to being, sniping seems like a very acceptable practice.
I think differently. I compared michthro and drod-solver demos for Beethro Teacher L4:4S1E. They have about 50% of common part but other 50% part of the demos uses completely different ideas! So I think that optimal demos which created independently will have at least 10% of different moves. It is more than the difference for sniped solutions. For me it looks like the best players would have a significantly less scores (remaining the best probably), if demos downloading have been forbidden.
02-27-2007 at 07:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
BDR: Very nicely phrased poll.

(And I think it underscored just how little I care about high scores other than my own. I love a first place as much as the next player, except when the next player is, say, michthro, whose passion for them I can't especially match. But when the question arises of downloading other people's demos to improve your own score, all I can think is, "People do that?")
02-27-2007 at 07:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Heh, I had to pick all three "It is good" AND all three "It is bad" options. But yeah, not bad.

02-27-2007 at 07:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
NiroZ wrote:
BDR wrote:
What I don't understand is why a person with obvious mistakes in a natural #1 won't bother to fix them ASAP: If he/she really cares about the high scores, then he/she would fix them (or at least I would if I were him/her).
Perhaps they just don't have the time to sit down and work the kinks out of it. Bear in mind that what is an obvious mistake for people varies, which complicates the matter.

But when someone spots an "obvious" mistake when others can't, don't they deserve the #1?

I've been playing Korvak's Keep and am first one through and I spent a couple of hours improving all my scores. Now if someone else comes along and beats any of my 50 or so number ones I really don't mind, however they beat them. Any of the rooms I am interested in have been improved to the best of my ability.

Steve.
02-27-2007 at 07:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333
BDR's story is a good example of how things actually work. If someone looked at his solution they would have known to come iu the right way. If there were obvious flaws in his solution they would have beaten him. Because they copied his solution and fixed the flaws? Of course not! Because once someone else knows about the other entrance, when they do their own demo they're simply unlikely to make the same mistakes.

By his own admission, he did a poor job optimising his original demo. If he had been even five moves slower, he wouldn't have got a #1. Then Stuart, or any one else matching Stuart's score, would have been free to steal his idea of coming in differently without penalty. How exactly does this make sense?
02-27-2007 at 08:30 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Stephen4Louise wrote:
But when someone spots an "obvious" mistake when others can't, don't they deserve the #1?
So by extension of that, sniping is ok?

Hmmm, right back to square one.
02-27-2007 at 08:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
My comments on anything highscore related:
They're just highscores.. I'd assume the majority (?) of DROD players don't really care much about them at all. Well, I don't, anyway. Then again, I guess this poll is to find that out, and the whole concept is for optimisers only. So, this post is probably quite meaningless, but meh, I won't delete it.
02-27-2007 at 08:42 AM
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
NiroZ wrote:
Stephen4Louise wrote:
So by extension of that, sniping is ok?

Hmmm, right back to square one.

To be honest I don't really think it is a big enough problem to worry about. I have sniped and been sniped. I do care about high scores, but I care more about the quantity of rooms I clear rather than the quality of each individual room (the fact that I have the lowest average points in the top 10 shows this).

Maybe I am underestimating how big an issue this is. Currently I have 54 #1 scores in Korvaks Keep. Usually I would expect to lose at least half of these over the next couple of days as people start to complete the hold. Then maybe half of what's left as the optimisers move in. Even with the changes implemented by Schik I still expect this to happen. Time will tell.

Steve.
02-27-2007 at 09:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
BDR wrote:
I strongly object to the use of the word "best" in this context, but that's a completely different discussion that doesn't contribute in any way to the subject at hand.

Anyway, I don't care either way about how this issue is resolved, as long as no restrictions are put on what and when I can download demos for rooms I've conquered. Whether or not I'm in any way penalized for doing so is indifferent to me (except if the penalty is something really extreme, such as demo invalidation).

02-27-2007 at 10:35 AM
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
icon Re: The other sniping poll (+2)  
I'm with Tahnan: Let's say
A gets 1st place without watching any demos.
B watches A's demo and improves it by one move.
C watches no demos, and matches B's score.

I really don't see anything complicated about this:
C deserves the #1 all the way.
B doesn't.

If you don't agree, try this, which is more how it goes in practice:
A spends an hour getting 1st place without watching any demos.
B watches A's demo and spends 5 minutes improving it by one move.
C watches no demos, and spends an hour and 5 minutes matching B's score.

Still not? How about this, which is what's been happening a lot, and the biggest reason demo-copying *is* a problem.:
A new hold is released. A, C, D and E each spend 10 hours optimising it. B, having deliberately waited for them, comes along, downloads 40 hours worth of effort, spends an hour gunning for #1s, and ends up with 3 #1s and 17 #1 ties.

Snipers watch demos because they're hoping for #1s, not #1 ties. In the process they end up with a lot of undeserved #1 ties as well. Demo-watching for #1 ties is just as bad as demo-watching for #1s. The new system doesn't prevent that altogether, but it goes a long way. It makes it very easy to spot, and only the most shameless of jerks will upload post-dated #1 tie after post-dated #1 tie. The real question is what the official policy on that is. Will blatant demo-copying be acted on? The system will reveal copiers, but will they be tolerated? My guess is no, based on what happened in the case of the copier we had. Yes, so he automated the process, but that only makes him a touch less sad than someone who spends hours doing it manually.

For fun, let's try something more advanced:
A spends an hour getting 1st place without watching any demos.
B watches A's demo and spends 2 hours improving it.
C watches no demos, and spends 3 hours matching B's score.

What happens now?
C deserves the #1 all the way.
B doesn't.

Nothing changes. B still stole an hour's worth of A's time.

It's simple. In other areas it's called plagiarism. If you *honestly* see nothing wrong with stealing ideas, there is a serious gap in your education.

In case anyone's wondering: I did a lot of sniping myself by way of reclaiming lost #1s from snipers. Another thing that happened a lot: I'd get a #1 for a room I don't give a hoot about purely because I'm the first optimiser to play it, fully expecting to lose it, and not caring at all. There'd be 100 moves or more still in it. A sniper comes along, watches my useless demo, takes the exact same silly approach, fixes the two or three worst mistakes only, and I'd feel obliged to reclaim it (without watching the demo). In the end I land up with 30 #1s for a hold I expected to get 10 out of after my first pass. Under the new system I'll probably be getting fewer #1s as I simply let go of #1s I expected to lose and don't care about, since they won't be sniped. It's happening already. Scores I know are far from optimal are getting smashed, instead of being improved by a miserable 1 or 2 moves, and I'm loving it. It's refreshing. This new system is making the whole playing experience much more enjoyable.
02-27-2007 at 10:53 AM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
michthro wrote:

It's simple. In other areas it's called plagiarism. If you *honestly* see nothing wrong with stealing ideas, there is a serious gap in your education.

In case anyone's wondering: I did a lot of sniping myself by way of reclaiming lost #1s from snipers. Another thing that happened a lot: I'd get a #1 for a room I don't give a hoot about purely because I'm the first optimiser to play it, fully expecting to lose it, and not caring at all. There'd be 100 moves or more still in it. A sniper comes along, watches my useless demo, takes the exact same silly approach, fixes the two or three worst mistakes only, and I'd feel obliged to reclaim it (without watching the demo). In the end I land up with 30 #1s for a hold I expected to get 10 out of after my first pass. Under the new system I'll probably be getting fewer #1s as I simply let go of #1s I expected to lose and don't care about, since they won't be sniped. It's happening already. Scores I know are far from optimal are getting smashed, instead of being improved by a miserable 1 or 2 moves, and I'm loving it. It's refreshing. This new system is making the whole playing experience much more enjoyable.

Look michthro. I don't do sniping, because to me it would feel like cheating. That doesn't mean I'm never tempted, because I'm sometimes a slightly pathetic character. I remember the goblin maze in The Underground Civilisation, where you beat my score by some ten moves, and I tried, and tried, but couldn't match your score. I then watched your demo, and was awed, and felt I had to go through it myself as a learning experience. When I stood by the exit I was tempted to get the first score tie. It wouldn't have been worth it though, since I would have considered it cheating, so in some ways I share your view.

However I think you are a bit arrogant in this. Plagiarism is what education is all about. That is: aquiering other peoples hard earned insights, in order to get a platform from which to build onwards. It would for example be absurd to force everybody to invent every mathematical formula for themselves. The obvious argument for sniping, which isn't a sign of being uneducated, is thus that sniping is likely to improve the optimal solutions for a room. Moreover sniping is probably a quick way to improve your skill. That is why I marked myself as torn by the isue. I guess my ideal solution would be to give up your right to improve your highscore for a certain room if you download a demo better than your own, but I'm torn there to, since that might lead to fewer downloads, which I generally consider to be a bad thing.

By the way: How do you know if you've been sniped? I think it's not really uncommon to end up with the same score as someone if you try long enough.

Edit: I guess what I ultimately wanted to say is that I don't like a statement which says that something is seriously wrong with someones education because he disagrees with you ;)

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 02-27-2007 12:01 PM]
02-27-2007 at 11:29 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Well... here's my opinion on the matter.

I like DROD. It's a game I enjoy playing. I also admire optimal solutions. Therefore I will strive for these. Watching other people's demos constitutes inspiration in my book. I have learnt a lot of tricks by watching these and will continue to do so.

My main pursuit is more about admiring a beautiful solution than earning an extra 4 points. There is much in life which concerns me more than a virtual scoring system. Whether the #1 is the product of one person's genius or the amalgamation of repeated sniping and improvements is not important to me. If I take 10 moves of yours, feel free to take 5 off of mine. The end result is a far more elegant solution - and ultimately, that is what DROD optimisers should be proud of.

One last thing - I have read several times replies which seem to suggest that it is in fact easy to shave off a few moves and claim a #1. This is very rarely the case. I cannot remember the last time correcting a wall bump was even a possibility. #1s tend to be heavily optimised and therefore extremely difficult to improve on. Ok, the first player may spend an hour achieving a #1, but the next player may spend 2 hours trying to shave an extra move off. Who's more "worthy"? I think both players should shake hands and say "Wow... we've achieved something quite remarkable here. Who'd have thought a solution could be *this* elegant?".

DROD is a community. Let's be part of it together...
02-27-2007 at 11:46 AM
Maurog
CaravelNet is not just about optimizing. If it was, sniping would be encouraged, and it clearly isn't.
CaravelNet is not just about competition. If it was, why the heck would we want to expose demos to our rivals?
CaravelNet is not just about having fun. If it was, there would be no highscores system at all.

CaravelNet is a combination of it all and more. The best you can do is just have fun optimizing the rooms in a competitive way. And no amount of new tweaks in the system should change that attitude.

02-27-2007 at 11:53 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
I don't think there's any way to see sniping, if we don't have access to records. Also, I'm sort of unclear as to what sort of definition of sniping we're using.

If sniping refers to wall-bumps and *trivial* mistakes (waiting for no reason, etc.), then yes, somebody else SHOULD take that #1.

If sniping refers to non-trivial "mistakes", and somebody comes along and improves the *method* of the room, then they deserve the #1 as well.

I see no other instances of sniping being discussed, and both times, the "sniper" is in the right in my book.

With michthro's time argument, say player A takes 15 hours to "optimize" a room. They're a beginning optimizer. Player B comes along, is a middling optimizer, and sees a bit he or she can improve upon. So (s)he does, in 30 minutes. It probable would have taken them 2 hours for this particular room. Player C, a high-end optimizer comes and gets the high score in 10 minutes.

What I'm trying to show by that example is that measurement by time is a flawed argument--different levels of skill will take different levels of time.

This may be stemming from my belief that all #1s should be as close to optimal as possible, whether they're mine or not. It makes me feel good if they're mine, and bad if mine aren't, but I don't think we should protect suboptimal solutions.

Additionally, if there's a shorter way to write a proof, mathematicians will do it. I worked on a proof for a couple of months, and found a proof. My advisor found a shorter proof (with the ideas I provided) in about 30 seconds. I'm happy that there is a more optimal proof, even though I didn't come up with it. I know that there are people more advanced than me in math, and using their aid doesn't bother me. Similarly for demos in DROD. It's difficult to become a better player without watching better player's techniques.

02-27-2007 at 01:33 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Personally, I do not want people penalised for downloading my demos. Is there a size limit for attachments? A player file with just my saves was 6M the last time I checked and I'm pretty sure it's going to be a smidgen bigger if it includes all my demos as well.
02-27-2007 at 01:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Rabscuttle wrote:
Personally, I do not want people penalised for downloading my demos. Is there a size limit for attachments? A player file with just my saves was 6M the last time I checked and I'm pretty sure it's going to be a smidgen bigger if it includes all my demos as well.
I guess if Schik just implemented an option in the profile "Don't penalize downloads of my demos" it would save a lot of bandwidth in the long run.

Of course, if everything were reverted back to the old system that didn't penalize any demo downloads it might save even more bandwidth. O:-

02-27-2007 at 01:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
michthro
Maurog wrote:
CaravelNet is not just about competition. If it was, why the heck would we want to expose demos to our rivals?
CaravelNet is not just about having fun. If it was, there would be no highscores system at all.

CaravelNet is a combination of it all and more. The best you can do is just have fun optimizing the rooms in a competitive way. And no amount of new tweaks in the system should change that attitude.
Exactly. And the new system enables you to choose on a per-room basis. If you want to be competitive for a given room, don't watch demos. If you want to have fun seeing what others do, watch all the demos you want. But you can't have it both ways on the same room. Get your inspiration, learn and what not on some rooms. Compete on others.

As for this "communal effort" business: I wish there was any truth in it. I was enjoying "Optimise this!", but it died in it's infancy.

Blondbeard: I'm sorry you think I'm arrogant. All the more because I don't see how you derive that from me spelling out some rudimentary ethics. If you consider me arrogant because I look down on anyone who disagrees with what I consider to be a very, very simple, clear-cut ethical question, then, well, I really don't care. I thank God, and those who beat it into me, that I do know cheating when I see it.

How do I know if I'm sniped? I don't always, and never with absolute certainty. I'm the last one to jump to conclusions. That's another thing about the new system I like. It removes a lot of doubt and suspicion. Over time it sometimes does become obvious that someone does a lot of sniping. If someone repeatedly uses the same move sequence as me, when there are 100 equally good ways to do it, it seems likely. I could still be wrong, but it seems very likely. I'm not going to point fingers and go into detail. However, with what's been said by whom, and some drastic shifts brought about instantly by the new system, it turns out I wasn't wrong about anyone I thought to be a sniper.

zex: I used time to try and make a point. The assumption in my example is that the three players are equally skilled. Nothing changes the simple underlying principle that stealing ideas is wrong, however complicated you try and make it.
02-27-2007 at 01:51 PM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
Rabscuttle wrote:
You realize that if you post a player file with all of your demos, then everyone can import it, put their own CaravelNet info into it, and then upload them all as their own? This would turn highscores into a complete joke. Please don't do that.

02-27-2007 at 01:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Maurog
icon Re: The other sniping poll (-1)  
Hmm, the new system suddenly looks not that bad. I cringe at the thought of michthro going against all he believes in to download my demos and check if sniping was involved. At least that's over.

02-27-2007 at 02:29 PM
BDR
Rank Points: 106
michthro wrote:
Nothing changes the simple underlying principle that stealing ideas is wrong, however complicated you try and make it.

There is only one problem with this principle: the new system does not stop people like me, who stumble upon a much better way to finish the room and steal some small improvements as well as fix up the bigger mistakes so as to keep their place. Under your principle, I do not deserve my 348 move #1, but the system (if it had been in place way back when in October '06) would have allowed me to do as I did and keep my #1. So what's the solution for this?
02-27-2007 at 02:37 PM
michthro
icon Re: The other sniping poll (-1)  
Maurog wrote:
Hmm, the new system suddenly looks not that bad. I cringe at the thought of michthro going against all he believes in to download my demos and check if sniping was involved. At least that's over.
I already admitted to doing my share of sniping, so your sarcasm is wasted. Learn to read. By which I mean: I'm sure you can read, but learn that you should keep up with threads before posting.
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333
michthro wrote:How do I know if I'm sniped? I don't always, and never with absolute certainty. I'm the last one to jump to conclusions.
I guess you missed the day in your ethics class where they discussed the concept of two wrongs don't make a right. This is especially true since you had absolutely no way of making even an educated guess about whether or not you were sniped without first watching the demo. If you honestly believe that getting ideas from other demos is wrong then you had no business sniping at all.

Copying demos is plagiarism, there's no argument about that. Whether or not it's O.K. to borrow ideas from someone else is a morally grey area. You say it's wrong, other's of us say it's fine. Those of us who say it's fine have no problem with other people using our ideas. This is a perfectly consistent moral position. Please don't try and bolster your position by trying to paint those who disagree as amoral cheats. You're the one who admits to not practicing what you preach.
michthro
BDR wrote:
There is only one problem with this principle: the new system does not stop people like me, who stumble upon a much better way to finish the room and steal some small improvements as well as fix up the bigger mistakes so as to keep their place. Under your principle, I do not deserve my 348 move #1, but the system (if it had been in place way back when in October '06) would have allowed me to do as I did and keep my #1. So what's the solution for this?
Oh that. Yeah. The solution is simple. If you upload a demo after watching *any* demo, not only better ones, it is post-dated. I much prefer that. I think the current system was meant as a compromise on how restrictive the system is, but it's obviously not going to work, so that change should be made.
02-27-2007 at 02:44 PM
michthro
KevG wrote:
I guess you missed the day in your ethics class where they discussed the concept of two wrongs don't make a right. This is especially true since you had absolutely no way of making even an educated guess about whether or not you were sniped without first watching the demo. If you honestly believe that getting ideas from other demos is wrong then you had no business sniping at all.
Admitting that I did wrong doesn't mean I'm saying two wrongs make a right. You're the one who simply doesn't want to admit that it is wrong. I admit my mistakes, and I can tell right from wrong. Make a start by working on at least one of those areas.
Copying demos is plagiarism, there's no argument about that. Whether or not it's O.K. to borrow ideas from someone else is a morally grey area.
Whether it's move-for-move or an idea, it's plagiarism. Plagiarism is about stealing ideas. In literature, for instance, it doesn't mean copying word-for-word, you know.
02-27-2007 at 02:49 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Could we please keep to discussing the issues without making ad-hominem attacks or insinuations, please?

[Last edited by eytanz at 02-27-2007 02:58 PM]
02-27-2007 at 02:57 PM
kzc
Rank Points: 212
Suppose I'm competing in the high jump at a track meet in 1968 and I see Dick Fosbury using a weird, floppy, back-first style to clear some pretty impressive heights. If I emulate his style and manage to edge him out to win the event, have I plagiarized him? Have I done something unethical? I have "stolen" an idea, after all, and used it to benefit myself at the expense of the originator.

02-27-2007 at 03:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: The other sniping poll (+2)  
michthro wrote:
Whether it's move-for-move or an idea, it's plagiarism. Plagiarism is about stealing ideas. In literature, for instance, it doesn't mean copying word-for-word, you know.

No. Plagiarism isn't about stealing ideas. It's about stealing "language and ideas". There are legitimate ways to reuse people's ideas, including quotation and paraphrase, provided proper citation. In a medium that doesn't allow for citation, such as demos, it is a non-trivial claim whether or not copying - even outright copying - can count as plagiarism.

Which isn't to say that you are wrong - it is to say that it is a matter that is legitimately up to debate. Which is really what this whole debate is about. Saying "sniping/copying is plagiarism" is not a valid argument because it is a circular one - it presupposes the outcome of this debate.

02-27-2007 at 03:37 PM
michthro
Legitimate reusing of an idea, such as quoting someone, always, always, always goes with giving credit. With the scoring system the way it is, with it being a competition (even if there's no prize, with which there's nothing wrong) copying is clearly wrong. We can debate about whether, and how, to implement a system that allows sniping and is fair towards those whose ideas are being reused, but with the current system, which is just another competitive scoring system where the ultimate holder of a top score gets full points, there's nothing to debate.
02-27-2007 at 03:46 PM
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The other sniping poll (A multiple question poll)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com