Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : I'm trying to make a wraithwing herding puzzle . . .
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
IP: Logged

File: room.PNG (343.4 KB)
Downloaded 47 times.
License: Public Domain
icon I'm trying to make a wraithwing herding puzzle . . . (0)  
I'm not quite sure how to do it. You see, I have a large area that is mostly pits, with some floor. There are some wraithwings there. Then I have an area blocked off by a force arrow. I'm trying to make a puzzle where you have to herd all the wraithwings past the force arrow into the small section. Once they're all there, you can walk through the force arrow and kill them.

It's not supposed to be possible to kill them anywhere else besides the small tunnel past the force arrow. That's why you have to herd them into it.

But, soon enough, there are three or more wraithwings around Beethro, and so one of them goes up to him, thus allowing Beethro to kill it. It's possible to kill almost every wraithwing before needing to herd some to the tunnel, and you can usually just kill those few remaining against the walls to the east or west, without herding.

I'll attatch a screenshot of the room. The entrance is from the north.
Just one look at it and you'll see that the room won't work the way I want it to. But I don't know how to fix it so that it does work.

02-20-2007 at 11:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: I'm trying to make a wraithwing herding puzzle . . . (0)  
I don't really think theres any way to do what you want. This is just a feature of wraithwings - they aren't just simply afraid of Beethro - when they're in a group, they'll attack him. Invariably when you a reasonable number of wraithwings, you just need to wait and you'll be able to kill them. The only time they're really scared is when theres only one or two. So a large horde of wraithwings isn't really something you can herd..
02-20-2007 at 11:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Yeah, what TripleM said.
You might think about transforming it into a room where you herd 1 wraithwing, and have other wraithwings tucked away.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 02-21-2007 12:16 AM]
02-20-2007 at 11:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
Well, the reason why I wanted to do this was because I could've sworn I've seen a puzzle like this. And, of course, being human takes away a lot of creativity; it's as if we're incapable of being completely original.

I'm sure I've seen a puzzle like this somewhere. Maybe I haven't, but if I have, I just can't remember what the architect did to get it to work.

Actually, I think it was in King Durgan's Dungeon, on the floor with the wraithwings (I think floor 3 . . . or 8, or somewhere inbetween).

02-20-2007 at 11:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
If you want to force the player to save all of them, you should make them needed.

If there are only a few, you can have a red serpent to kill for each one.
If there are more, you can have a widget where the WWs are needed to stop a roach walking into a trap (that is surrounded by pits), eg in the NE corner of Fortress of Eternity : The Fortress : 2 North, 1 East
02-21-2007 at 01:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : I'm trying to make a wraithwing herding puzzle . . .
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com