Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Avatar uploads are here
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
IP: Logged
icon Avatar uploads are here (0)  
They're here, but they're not extremely thoroughly tested.

Give them a try! In the Profile section, you can still type in a URL if you'd like, and below that you can browse to a local file to upload.

The good news is that you can now have slightly larger pictures (up to 100x75), and it won't scale them arbitrarily, as long as you upload the file here.

If you use an external link, images will still be stuck at 60x60 - it would be too slow to query the size, and I don't want anyone to put a 1280x1024 image in there for kicks. In fact, maybe we should disable linking to external images altogether.

The bad news is that due to our aging PHP version, I can't do any resizing on the server - you have to upload a version that is already resized.

As always, let me know if (when) you have any problems with it!

09-02-2003 at 10:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Avatar uploads are here (0)  
Schik wrote:
The bad news is that due to our aging PHP version, I can't do any resizing on the server - you have to upload a version that is already resized.
Schik, I can write an "if it isn't too much trouble" request to send to Jean-Michel Martin of TLK. Not promising anything, but Jean-Michel may be able to get somebody who works at the ISP to perform a PHP upgrade. To do that, could you tell me:

- What is the current version of PHP we are running on the site? If you haven't checked it recently, let's verify the version before sending the request, to make sure the ISP didn't happen to upgrade PHP while we weren't looking.

- What is the version of PHP that we want to upgrade to? I don't know what versions of PHP are available now, but the version we request should be safe for production use by us and whatever other companies might be hosted on the ISP's servers.

- Briefly, why is it important to us that we should have it?

-Erik

09-02-2003 at 11:53 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Erik,

I saw the emailed version of this post first and thought for some reason that you emailed me directly about this, so I emailed back. But that's okay, because I sent you a URL for some test code I don't want distributed anyways.

If anybody else knows a lot about PHP and has any good reasons to give Erik, speak up!

09-03-2003 at 03:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
Score! Time to upload my avatar!

09-04-2003 at 10:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
I was thinking of getting a nice, small picture of a field mushroom (Agaricus campestris) for an avatar, but think it's a little boring. Would anyone think it far too ostentatious if I sort of turned my username into an avatar by adding a "5" to the picture of the mushroom?

09-04-2003 at 11:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
No. Well, someone might think so, but I'm sure they'd be far too polite to say anything. It's your avatar, after all. We don't have to like it.

"Oook!"
09-05-2003 at 04:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
icon Re: Re: Avatar uploads are here (0)  
krammer wrote:
No. Well, someone might think so, but I'm sure they'd be far too polite to say anything. It's your avatar, after all. We don't have to like it.
But, you see, that's the thing... I don't want people to think that all I want to do is to show off my avatar.

09-05-2003 at 05:12 PM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Well, I really don't care what other people use as an avatar, and I'm sure that goes for most of us. But I don't think it's showing off. It's unique then, after all. :D

"Oook!"
09-05-2003 at 08:32 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Come on! Show us your avatar! If yours is "too cool", then you could always settle for the Super Mario variant of your mushroom.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-05-2003 at 09:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
I've decided that I don't want too flashy an avatar, so I'll just settle for a plain picture of an Agaricus campestris.

09-07-2003 at 11:42 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Here's a question: why does bdcribbs have three avatars? Usually avatars are dynamically replaced, and aren't set by the post, and this seems to be the case for this board. At least, I thought it was...

Examples of the three different avatars: here and here and here.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-09-2003 at 07:21 PM
Schik
icon Re: Re: Avatar uploads are here (0)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
Here's a question: why does bdcribbs have three avatars? Usually avatars are dynamically replaced, and aren't set by the post, and this seems to be the case for this board. At least, I thought it was
Because he did something I thought of doing a while ago but never did - he pointed his avatar link to a script that dynamically outputs different images. Nice!

09-09-2003 at 07:27 PM
bdcribbs
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 390
icon Re: Re: Re: Avatar uploads are here (0)  

Oneiromancer wrote:
Here's a question: why does bdcribbs have three avatars?
Actually, there are four, but one of them will only show up 5% of the time. The drawing of Beehtoven should show up most often (50%), followed by the monster monitor (abour 30%).
Schik wrote:
Because he did something I thought of doing a while ago but never did - he pointed his avatar link to a script that dynamically outputs different images. Nice!
:D

[Edited by bdcribbs on 09-09-2003 at 08:21 PM]
09-09-2003 at 08:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Oh yeah, I forgot about that monster monitor thing...for some reason it never showed up when I was searching through the posts.

Anyway, that is a really cool idea, I agree. So, I guess the links I gave in the post above are probably pointless now. Whatever, I won't edit them out...let it be a monument to my naivete!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-09-2003 at 08:58 PM
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
When I try to upload a new avatar, why, oh why do I get this crap:?

Warning: mkdir(avatars/ClaytonW): Permission denied in /home/caravelg/public_html/drodnet_root/forum/member.php on line 87

Warning: copy(avatars/ClaytonW/naota.jpg): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/caravelg/public_html/drodnet_root/forum/member.php on line 91

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/caravelg/public_html/drodnet_root/forum/member.php:87) in /home/caravelg/public_html/drodnet_root/forum/functions.php on line 646

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/caravelg/public_html/drodnet_root/forum/member.php:87) in /home/caravelg/public_html/drodnet_root/forum/functions.php on line 649

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/caravelg/public_html/drodnet_root/forum/member.php:87) in /home/caravelg/public_html/drodnet_root/forum/functions.php on line 658

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/caravelg/public_html/drodnet_root/forum/member.php:87) in /home/caravelg/public_html/drodnet_root/forum/functions.php on line 663

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/caravelg/public_html/drodnet_root/forum/member.php:87) in /home/caravelg/public_html/drodnet_root/forum/functions.php on line 646

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/caravelg/public_html/drodnet_root/forum/member.php:87) in /home/caravelg/public_html/drodnet_root/forum/functions.php on line 649

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/caravelg/public_html/drodnet_root/forum/member.php:87) in /home/caravelg/public_html/drodnet_root/forum/functions.php on line 658

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/caravelg/public_html/drodnet_root/forum/member.php:87) in /home/caravelg/public_html/drodnet_root/forum/functions.php on line 663
11-07-2003 at 04:59 AM
Schik
ClaytonW wrote:
When I try to upload a new avatar, why, oh why do I get this crap:?
Because I'm an idiot and didn't check directory permissions after we had to move the site root.

Try it again, it should work.

11-07-2003 at 07:57 AM
ClaytonW
Schik wrote:
Try it again, it should work.

It does, thanks.
11-07-2003 at 05:37 PM
Oneiromancer
Aww, I expected to see a photo of you in your Beethro costume... :~)

Game on,

11-07-2003 at 06:32 PM
ClaytonW
Oneiromancer wrote:
Aww, I expected to see a photo of you in your Beethro costume... :~)

Sorry to disapoint. I thought about it, but decided that Naota Nandaba is way cooler than me and my costume. :P
11-07-2003 at 06:43 PM
ClaytonW
Alright, you talked me into it, my Beethro Costume is now a part of my avatar, but Naota still triumphs! Animation is dandy.
11-07-2003 at 06:59 PM
Oneiromancer
Well, that's a pretty long delay, but I think I must be satisfied. Thanks! :D

Game on,

11-07-2003 at 08:02 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Avatar uploads are here
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com