Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : A thing about avatars
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NoahT
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1133
IP: Logged
icon A thing about avatars (0)  
Hi!

I noticed that for some of the member's avatars, it just showed that "failed to load" image. These members probably forgot to add
http://
to their avatar URL. Anyone with a avatar failing to load, I recommend looking at this thread. Mr. Pibbs and noman are two of these people.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

08-29-2003 at 06:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: A thing about avatars (0)  
I am sure that those two people know very well how to add the avatars properly. I know that noman at least had a working avatar for a while. What probably happened is that the website hosting his picture stopped allowing access to it, perhaps for bandwidth reasons. Mr Pibbs is rarely around, but noman is, and it looks like he fixed it sometime recently, actually...no more red x for him.

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 08-29-2003 at 06:19 AM GMT: Corrected to reflect reality]

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-29-2003 at 06:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
You know, we wouldn't have this problem if only we were allowed to upload avatars directly from our machines. I have a great picture that I use on the other forum I go to, but they allow uploading an avatar right from your hard drive and this one doesn't.

08-29-2003 at 01:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Yeah, I've wanted that too...I had to get a kind soul on this board to host my picture for me since I couldn't upload it. It's not like they are much larger than most attachments. Hey, that's a thought...perhaps we could load the file as an attachment and then link to the attachment...I think that Erik did that in the png poll thread...that should work unless it would cause too many problems. Thoughts, Schik?

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-29-2003 at 04:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Someone else did that a while back (I can't remember who) and I asked them not to. Since there could potentially be 20-ish of these things per page, I was worried about having too many database queries - the attachments are saved in a db, not just as plain files. My plan for the avatars is to have them uploaded to a directory as plain files so they're handled like any normal image. I'll try to get to this soon, but don't expect it for probably a week.

08-29-2003 at 04:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
icon Re: Re: A thing about avatars (0)  
Schik wrote:
Someone else did that a while back (I can't remember who)

It tickles me every time this happens, and it's happened three or four times on this board so far. If I had an avatar perhaps I wouldn't be quite so anonymous :D In the meantime, I'll just have to settle with being more annoying than usual :devil
08-29-2003 at 06:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bdcribbs
Rank Points: 390
icon Re: Re: Re: A thing about avatars (0)  
StuartK wrote:
It tickles me every time this happens, and it's happened three or four times on this board so far. If I had an avatar perhaps I wouldn't be quite so anonymous :D In the meantime, I'll just have to settle with being more annoying than usual :devil

If you want I can put your avatar online, just attach the file, and I'll download it and tell you the url.
08-29-2003 at 06:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Unless it's been a forced thing (such as Gaia, who get you to create a character and then use that as our avatar) I've never found an avatar that's really tickled my fancy. It makes me look WAY too anonymous, though.

On the plus side, once I can get my digital camera back, Erik'll rustle me up an avatar for me.

Matt

08-29-2003 at 07:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Shouldn't you get one of the DROD style avatars, like Erik and Matt and Clayton have/had? Just take one of the unused ones (and pretend you like it).

Game on,

08-29-2003 at 08:12 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Oneiromancer wrote:
Shouldn't you get one of the DROD style avatars, like Erik and Matt and Clayton have/had? Just take one of the unused ones (and pretend you like it).
Matt was talking about the same thing. I drew avatars for Matt O'Leary and Clayton that are loosely based (VERY loosely) on what they look like in reality. After Matt sends me a pic of himself, I will draw an Eighth-style caricature from it.

-Erik

08-29-2003 at 08:57 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Well, that's the plan - Erik, Matt, Clayton and Brittney have all had caricataurs drawn of them by Erik. Erik's offered one for me, to continue the webmaster tradition, and I'll be interested to see what he does with it. Ten bucks says it has a large nose and buck teeth.

Matt

08-29-2003 at 08:59 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
I must add - Erik, it's uncanny how much the one you drew for me looks like me! ;)

08-29-2003 at 09:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Oh...I didn't realize that those drawings were specifically made to look like those people. Okay, it makes sense now.

Hmmm...I think that all of us testers in the credits deserve a caricature also! :D Although I would only change my avatar if I had a different screen name, like if the boards had to move or something...mine are too intertwined right now. It's the Sandman or nothing!

Game on,

08-29-2003 at 09:07 PM
Mattcrampy
I doubt that'll work. The new ending doesn't even have credits. It's the Erik-and-Mike show all the way, although the song is still intact.

Matt

08-29-2003 at 09:22 PM
Oneiromancer
The credits in the help file, not the actual game. And I wasn't really being serious, like usual.

Game on,

08-29-2003 at 09:34 PM
Mattcrampy
Don't mind me, I'm just bitter about the cut-price ending.

Matt

08-29-2003 at 10:30 PM
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: A thing about avatars (0)  
bdcribbs wrote:
If you want I can put your avatar online, just attach the file, and I'll download it and tell you the url.

A kind offer, thankyou. I've already got my own webspace though - I'm just being incredibly lazy. The lack of a picture I feel I could live with for more than one or two days also doesn't help. I'll think of something eventually.
08-30-2003 at 04:43 PM
Sokko

File: sokko3.gif (335 bytes)
Downloaded 67 times.
License: Other
Attached is the avatar I _would_ use if we were able to upload directly from our machines. Don't even bother hosting it and telling me the address, it won't be the same in principle. ;)

And you're probably wondering what it is. It's my name spelled using the language of its origins; Japanese. If you decipher the second line, you'll come up with my super-secret last name. And if you do, for goodness' sakes don't tell anyone! :D

Edit: Yes, that's a transparent background, so it'll fit right into any forum you throw at it. :)

[Edited by Sokko on 08-31-2003 at 04:28 PM]

08-31-2003 at 04:27 PM
Mattcrampy
Awww, it should have been a much more interesting name.

As a student of Japanese, could you give me the kanji for that name? I'll see if I can work out what they are.

Unless of course you invented it from an English last name - I'm really poor at working out what English words are from katakana, and I'm assuming it's not.

09-01-2003 at 12:04 PM
Mister
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
That's hiragana... I only know katakana. Oh, well.

09-01-2003 at 10:18 PM
Sokko
Sorry, but I can't give it to you since there is none. The first name obviously comes from my regular name, and if you go through the forum (or was it the other forum I go to?) you'll find that it wasn't originally Japanese in origin (I decided it was later), and thus it has no kanji. The last name was formed by looking at a hiragana chart and picking random characters until I got something that sounded cool; it therefore has no kanji as well. I know, I'm evil. :D If you want, come up with a new last name that actually means something. I'm sure there must be kanji for "Sokko". If you find it, and perhaps a last name as well, I'll use it in my avatar instead of hiragana and confuse everyone even more. Bwahahahaha!

09-02-2003 at 04:25 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : A thing about avatars
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No