Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : La-Mulana
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Pinnacle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1126
IP: Logged
icon La-Mulana (+1)  
Similar in style to Cave Story, only more difficult, and much longer.
An English patch was just released today.

http://agtp.romhack.net/lamulana.html

*goes back to play*

EDIT:
Fair warning. When I say more difficult, I mean much more difficult.

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 01-29-2007 02:31 AM]
01-29-2007 at 01:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
icon Re: La-Mulana (0)  
From the screens and info, it seems awesome. I can't download it right now though because of a few internet problems. I'll try it out later and share my thoughts.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
02-01-2007 at 10:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
This is HARD! I haven't even gotten into the temple yet! :-O
02-01-2007 at 03:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
Nice manual :)

"When playing games for long periods of time, try to take a 10-20 minute nap so it won't impact your work the next day."

But gaah! The game crashes at startup!

02-01-2007 at 06:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Ezlo wrote:
This is HARD! I haven't even gotten into the temple yet! :-O

Talk to the guy in the tent with the red thing over it.

02-01-2007 at 08:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Looks like a great game, but very hardcore (not a bad thing actually). I'm gonna play it. A lot.

02-01-2007 at 08:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Pinnacle wrote:
Talk to the guy in the tent with the red thing over it.

I have, I just can't find the temple! :smile
02-01-2007 at 09:29 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: La-Mulana (+1)  
Have you found the ruin area right and up from the village? There's an area there with a statue. To the left of it, there's a receptacle for a weight - put a weight there and the temple will open.

02-01-2007 at 09:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Oh. That's it. :blush
02-01-2007 at 09:45 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
I've played this for several hours now and I'm just not getting it. Yeah, I figured out how to use weights and the grail and the MSX (and the Glyph reader), but I'm just not seeing how to solve a bunch of these puzzles. More aptly, I just can't seem to figure out what the puzzles are that I need to solve.

In the first "temple" I can't open the chest that includes the stone telling you that you need "three sacrifices to heaven". I don't know what the weight-switch at the end of the second invisible platform does. And most importantly, I've got the ankh (or I think it's the ankh) to appear in what looks like the boss room, but I don't know what to do with it. The manual mentions something about a red jewel required to interact with it, but I haven't found one yet.

Is there some major link I'm missing between things in this "temple", or is this game's ideal more along the lines of "do something here, then look all over for what changed as a result"? If it's the latter, then I would stop far short of referring to it as a puzzle game.

Can you tell from the tone that this game frustrates me? :P

02-02-2007 at 02:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Yeah, I quit playing for more or less that reason. This game's main method of being difficult seems to be "force the player to do random things". I like a lot about it, but I don't feel a sense of progress when I do manage to solve things in it, so it hasn't managed to keep my interest.

[Last edited by eytanz at 02-02-2007 02:23 AM]
02-02-2007 at 02:22 AM
Nillo
I installed and tried it, but my guy keeps moving to the left all the time. After a while he bumps into a wall and gets stuck. Removing the INI file makes no difference. How do I fix this?

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
02-02-2007 at 07:15 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
I played it for some time now, defeated the first boss and have the second ankh ruby now.

My thoughts about the game: of all the games played before, it reminds me most of Zeliard, but more puzzle-oriented. It's pretty hard, but not impossible, and you can heal yourself at any time by teleporting to an easy area and beating up the easy monsters until your healing bar triggers. The author tried to give the feel of an old classic, and it delivers. Plenty of arcade action, nifty tools, this is a very solid game once you get into it. Recommended to anyone who ever played Zeliard or just enjoys classic arcade-exploration games.

02-03-2007 at 07:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sergenth
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 296
I'm at the point now (about half-way) where I need to use the japanese guide to figure out what to do next, and to see what I've missed. It translates into english fairly well using google.

Google Translated La-Mulana Guide

Getting this far by myself was quite fun and exploring up to the point of not-knowing-what-to-do is still enjoyable.
02-04-2007 at 02:40 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Hey, Linux geeks. How does I make wine not hate this?
02-04-2007 at 06:52 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I'm getting this when running the translator:
"La-Mulana has not been totally updated because of the following reason:

File corrupt or unreadable:
...\la-mulana-patch 1.01\La-Mulana English Patch.D01

You will have to run this utility again to completely update La-Mulana"
It updates most of the files succesfully (everything in-game *seems* to be fine), but I'm having trouble figuring anything out because the manual is one of the things that fail. Any way to get a version with the patch pre-applied, or to find a way around this? Redownloading didn't help.

EDIT: Thanks to a friendly e-mail from Tim, I now have a working patched copy of the game. :thumbsup

[Last edited by Doom at 02-04-2007 02:36 PM]
02-04-2007 at 10:39 AM
Nillo
It suddenly worked... weird.

Click here to view the secret text

02-05-2007 at 08:03 AM
Pinnacle
Here is an English guide, much more readable.

02-05-2007 at 04:08 PM
Nillo
This game is incredibly addictive. And good. So far I've resisted the temptation of reading any guides, and if it continues like this I think I can do it by myself.

The soundtrack is fantastic. Sometimes I start it up just to listen to the music. The mp3s available for download were a disappointment though, because they replaced the retro sound with crappy instruments. Does anyone know where I can find mp3s with the right pixely sound?

[Last edited by Nillo at 02-09-2007 09:34 PM]
02-09-2007 at 09:33 PM
BenStandeven
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 34

Actually, I'm not sure I should secret this, but just to be on the safe side:

Personally, I was a bit annoyed when defeated the bosses didn't clear the level of monsters like the manual implied.
02-17-2007 at 02:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nillo
Sequel to La-Mulana announced:

Death Village

Edit: Actually, never mind - it seems like this is a different game (but the developers are the same)

[Last edited by Nillo at 03-03-2009 06:10 PM]
03-16-2007 at 12:34 PM
Krishh
Rank Points: 282
Oh right, this. Why did you remind me? I got horribly stuck at the last of the eight, and now I'll have to try again, even though

[Last edited by Krishh at 03-16-2007 04:21 PM]
03-16-2007 at 04:20 PM
Pinnacle
Krishh wrote:
Oh right, this. Why did you remind me? I got horribly stuck at the last of the eight, and now I'll have to try again, even though

That is probably the most vicious boss fight in any platformer anywhere. Seriously.
I can't beat her either.

03-16-2007 at 04:36 PM
McFrugal
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 59
For Tiamat, I used the invincibility-lengthening ROM combination and the Katana until I activated the platform, then got to a spot where I could safely jump onto it to attack her. Then I switched to the Knife-boost ROM combination, and just stabbed away. Be sure to jump off the platform before it vanishes, as hitting her body will do a ton of damage to you. I still had to retry this a couple of times before I beat her, though.

Also Death Village isn't a sequel.

[Last edited by McFrugal at 03-26-2007 06:26 PM]
03-26-2007 at 06:11 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
I'd like to bump this thread in order to note that even if you can't play this game, there are a bunch of YouTube videos where people play various parts of the game, in case you want to see a bit of gameplay or listen to the music.

04-26-2007 at 09:39 PM
Bucket
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
This is a necro-post but, since I couldn't find any general forum rules, I'm going to assume that's ok.

If no one who's played La-Mulana is still around, that's ok. But I need some help and White Knell's guide isn't helping.

Basically, I need to know:
-How to expose sakit.
-How to expose ellmac.
-How to get the boots.

I have already received the ankh jewels for both sections. The room numbers I use are based on White Knell's guide

Sakit:
According to the La Mulana Wiki, if I change all of the signs to moons at the bottom of the mausoleum, the little statue I put the jewel will appear in room C-5 (the room with two giants, one pointing at the other). But this is not the case when I try it.

I am quite sure I found the statue that changes with three stars (it's the one that lets you get the jewel) but perhaps I need to do the part with three suns? I think I managed to get the room to have three suns earlier but I tried again today and I wasn't able to.

Ellmac:
I have the ankh. The boss is supposed to be in one of the bottom rooms but all there is is a spike pit. No idea what's up here.

I've pushed the mine-cart down to D-5 but I can't figure out what to do with it from there. Push it to the right and it gets stuck. Can't push it to the left. I assume I have to drop it down somehow.

Boots (and talisman):
Apparently I have to get over to the platforms in the F and G rooms. But even with my best jumping it seems to be impossible. I assume I don't need the double jump first?

Also, is there anything I need to do in the bottom left of C-3 right now? (with the lizard things?)

I actually managed to get through most of the game so far without spoilers, but then I had to use them to find guidance gate's boss (I didn't know I had revealed the room!)

If anyone can provide any help, it'd be greatly appreciated.

[Last edited by Bucket at 12-04-2008 03:59 AM]
12-04-2008 at 03:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
lopsidation
Rank Points: 176
If I remember correctly,
Sakit:

Ellmac:

Boots:

12-05-2008 at 09:44 PM
Pinnacle
Also, I would recommend Ellmac first.
You can access the
after Ellmac, Sakit doesn't give you anything.
And Sakit is absurdly difficult (or at least I thought so)
By the way, do you plan on doing Hell Temple?

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 12-07-2008 01:27 AM]
12-05-2008 at 09:48 PM
lopsidation
Rank Points: 176
How is Sakit absurdly difficult? I'd say he's far easier than Ellmac. Want a challenge? Kill him before he fires his chain arm.

I tried Hell Temple, but I never got past the room with lizards and moving spikes a couple of rooms past the awesome block puzzle. Actually, now that I think about it, that room would be cake with the time lamp. *loads up the game*

12-07-2008 at 12:26 AM
Cargoss
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
why does the game crashes at startup :?
02-19-2009 at 03:19 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : La-Mulana
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com