Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Follow
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Stephen4Louise
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 548
IP: Logged
icon Follow (0)  
I had an idea for a new command. Follow (brained or unbrained). Use this command on an NPC and it will move one step closer to Beethro. Movement will be different depending on whether brained or unbrained movement is selected. I think roach movement patterns should be used to determine where the NPC will go next.

One follow command will last for one turn.

The main use for this will be in story based rooms, but I can think of some puzzle potential.

Steve.
01-26-2007 at 02:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
icon Re: Follow (0)  
Specifically, trained roaches for the Clearing School that move like roaches but resist the temptation to eat you?

01-26-2007 at 03:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
I was just about to suggest a similar idea.

The only things different about mine was that it was called "approach", that it could be for a set amount of turns, and that, since there will be relative coordinates, that the NPC could stop a set distance from Beethro.

01-26-2007 at 03:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
starwed
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 49
I just wish there was a "Make a move like X" command, where X was one of the various movement types.

That might get a little weird with things like wraithwings, which have a "pack" behavior, but could still be very useful. (Edit: Ok, I just remembered that there isn't a separate wraithwing movement type; there's a conditional statement in their AI which decides which movement method is used.)

Once relative coordinates are in at all, I assume you could just have a conditional statement to stop movement a certain distance away from beethro.

[Last edited by starwed at 01-26-2007 06:06 PM]
01-26-2007 at 04:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
Chaco wrote:
Specifically, trained roaches for the Clearing School that move like roaches but resist the temptation to eat you?
So, we can have "roach-wubbas"? Interesting thought. I like the idea of a "goblin wubba" that will move out of your way if you swing your sword, unless you've let too many accumulate.

++Adam H. Peterson
01-26-2007 at 06:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tombot
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 58
I was thinking along the lines of Halph for movement, maybe this can be togglable?

01-26-2007 at 07:32 PM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
Tombot wrote:
I was thinking along the lines of Halph for movement, maybe this can be togglable?
That might be a bit of a tough sell. Halph's movement is a bit expensive (time and memory-wise) to compute. It's not so bad when you have 1 Halph, but if you might have a dozen characters, that can add up. If they can all only follow Beethro, that might not be so bad (they could all use the same set of data structures). But also, consider what should happen when the way is blocked? Halph movement says to return to starting point or to do nothing.

++Adam H. Peterson
01-26-2007 at 07:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Follow
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com