Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Wanted: Part-Time 2D Pixel Artist in Ballard, Washington, USA (For Caravel games, of course.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Wanted: Part-Time 2D Pixel Artist in Ballard, Washington, USA (+1)  
It would be great to fill this position with somebody who is a DROD fan and fantastically talented, but we'll settle for somebody who's only fantastically talented. If you know somebody in the Seattle/Ballard area that might be qualified and want to do it, (including yourself, I suppose) please let him or her know about this opening.

This position is for somebody to work on post-TCB projects. (Don't be prodding us about what comes after TCB. Only Mike and I know, and we aren't saying anything.) Also, to the pixel artists working on TCB, I am really happy with all the help we've had. This opening isn't a negative comment on your work. We have a lot of artwork to get done in the future, and I feel that best results will come with one supervised artist doing the bulk of it.

-Erik

* * * WANTED: PART-TIME 2D PIXEL ARTIST IN BALLARD, WASHINGTON * * *

We're looking for a talented entry-level 2D pixel artist to work in Ballard, Washington for 8 hours each week on new games that Caravel Games will be developing. The start date for the position is April, 2007. Caravel has developed and sold award-winning shareware games since 2005 including DROD: King Dugan's Dungeon, DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold, and the soon-to-be-released DROD: The City Beneath. You can learn more about the company at our website: http://caravelgames.com

The position will involve:
* Creating in-game art that has technical as well as aesthetic requirements. Much of this artwork will be very small in size and require pixel-level editing.
* Creating art used for website and game marketing materials.

Based on preferences and demonstrated abilities of the artist, the position may later be extended to include:
* Creating larger illustrations for print, including product packaging.
* Defining and documenting a production pipeline that may later be used for other artists.
* Designing prototype screens for games during early development.

Candidate requirements:
* A portfolio of work that includes examples of 2D pixel art.
* Proficiency in one or more of the following: Adobe Photoshop, Corel PhotoPaint, or The Gimp.
* High school graduate.
* Solid reading, writing, and verbal skills. You'll need to work from detailed requirements, written and verbal.
* Past history of employment or contract work, i.e. this shouldn't be your first job.
* Willing to work with supervision at our office in Ballard, Washington for one 8-hour shift each week. Sorry, but we won't consider off-site candidates.
* United States citizen or currently have legal status which allows employment in the United States.

Candidate preferences:
* Previous employment or contract work in graphic design or software industry.
* Work that has appeared in electronic games.
* Involvement in personal or volunteer creative projects, with an emphasis on seeing the project through to completion.

You would be paid $10/hour as an employee. The office is shared with a company that makes wedding stationery. This office is in a small building in the residential section of Ballard about half a mile from the downtown area. The atmosphere is really relaxed, although when clients are visiting, you have to be a little quiet. There's free drinks and snacks, and if there's a particular beverage you enjoy, we can probably stock it for you. Parking is ample. Free hosting on our web server is available. The room smells pretty nice. That's about all we can offer in the way of benefits.

What's it like to work for Caravel? Well, for starters you would be our first paid employee, so we're new at this. We don't have a lot of money, so you'll hear some demoralizing cheapness every now and then, i.e. "We don't really have time for you to draw extra sparkly bits on the magic slippers. Let's just move on to the next batch of work. How long's that gonna take?" And I keep saying "we", but really you're just going to be talking to me, Erik, for the time being, although you'll meet my lovely wife and her employees (she runs the wedding stationery business that the office is shared with). The other people on the Caravel team are spread out over the face of the planet. Caravel has a history of being generous in giving credit to artists and other contributors to our games, and we will tell people that this artwork they are enjoying was made by you. If you've got some other art-related gigs that you want to promote, i.e. your work appearing in some new graphic novel or exhibition, you can probably get some attention from our enthusiastic player community. We want you to be a superstar, not a faceless drone--that's part of the indie aesthetic. You'll have a lot of freedom to come up with your own visual ideas, but at times, you'll find the technical requirements constricting, i.e. you may have to draw those sparkly magic slippers inside of a 22x22 pixel box. If you need to feel like you're working for a big company doing big things, this won't be the job for you. If you want to work with a few unglamorous people that love making games, and have a looser leash than you might have starting out at the bottom of the EA art department, then yeah... Caravel. Do it!

In you are interested in this position, please e-mail erikh@caravelgames.com with a resumé and a portfolio containing examples of your work. Preferably, we would like to see a portfolio hosted on a website, but attaching files to an e-mail or arranging to mail a CD-ROM to us is fine. If we arrange an interview with you, you'll be expected to perform some graphic design tasks at the interview for the purpose of verifying your skills.

01-21-2007 at 01:53 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Wanted: Part-Time 2D Pixel Artist in Ballard, Washington, USA (0)  
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to lock this; I meant to sticky it. Comments are welcome!

-Erik

01-21-2007 at 07:41 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tombot
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 58
How widely are you advertising this position?

01-21-2007 at 09:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Tombot wrote:
How widely are you advertising this position?
On the internet, as widely as possible, although I haven't gotten around to posting it very many places yet. I also plan to get the job posted at several colleges in the Seattle area.

-Erik

01-21-2007 at 10:32 PM
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
Cool! Caravel's starting to grow! Before you know it, we're going to have DROD: Attack of the Ray Guns. ;) Hey, you want me to post this at any of the other forums I visit regularly (KarateForums, Spiderweb, Adventure Quest, Sean O' Connor's Forums [Windowsgames])?

Keep posting,

[Last edited by UrAvgAzn at 01-21-2007 11:04 PM]
01-21-2007 at 10:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
UrAvgAzn wrote:
Hey, you want me to post this at any of the other forums I visit regularly (KarateForums, Spiderweb, Adventure Quest)?
Sure, Jeremy! Be careful to post appropriately on the different boards, and you might explain you are posting the job announcement because you are a DROD fan.

-Erik

01-21-2007 at 11:06 PM
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Wanted: Part-Time 2D Pixel Artist in Ballard, Washington, USA (+1)  
Have you considered posting it on PolyCount's "Work Opportunities" fora?

np: Fluke - Life Support (Six Wheels On My Wagon)

01-21-2007 at 11:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
ErikH2000 wrote:
Sure, Jeremy! Be careful to post appropriately on the different boards, and you might explain you are posting the job announcement because you are a DROD fan.

-Erik
Alright, here I go. Is it alright if I just copy and paste the your message and just add in the 'I am a DROD fan' stuff?

Keep posting,

01-21-2007 at 11:58 PM
ErikH2000
UrAvgAzn wrote:
Alright, here I go. Is it alright if I just copy and paste the your message and just add in the 'I am a DROD fan' stuff?
Yeah sure, but start copying from "WANTED: PART-TIME 2D PIXEL ARTIST IN BALLARD, WASHINGTON". The part preceding it is just directed at the DROD forum, and won't make sense on another forum.

-Erik

01-22-2007 at 01:28 AM
Sergenth
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 296
Here is a coven of pixel mages --> http://www.pixel-arts.org/pixelation/

They have an employment forum in which you can duplicate this employment request!
01-22-2007 at 02:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Thanks Briareos and Sergenth. I am interested in these forums and will follow up on them.

-Erik

01-22-2007 at 02:29 AM
UrAvgAzn
Gah. So I posted Erik's Wanted topic at WindowsGames UK (BTW, check out their games, they are actually pretty good) and at the KarateForums. So here's what I got in return.

At WindowsGames, give 'em a break, its not a really active forum ('bout 5-6 post a day total). But I posted it there, and I hope someone'll notice it. Oh yeah, here's the topic.

At KarateForums, my message got deleted 3 hours after posting. I think thats a record. Now, their forums are much more active, but also much more rule-abiding. So after posting it there, I got a PM from a moderator 'officially warning me not to do it again, or anything else of the nature'. It was described as advertising, but y'know. Thats just them. Well, thats it. Maybe I'll post it at a few more, see how they fare.

Well, I tried Erik, I tried.

Keep posting,

01-24-2007 at 01:19 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
The reason they might have shot it down at KarateForums is that you might not have been a very active member there. They might have thought you were just a bot who was posting without contributing.

01-24-2007 at 01:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Chaco wrote:
The reason they might have shot it down at KarateForums is that you might not have been a very active member there. They might have thought you were just a bot who was posting without contributing.
If they thought he was a bot, they would have just banned him IMO.
Having looked at the site, I would think that it is more to do with the fact that there is no appropriate place to post a 'Pixel artist wanted' ad, and its the kind of thing that people expect from spam.
01-24-2007 at 01:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Um, would the Karate Forums be visited by many aspiring pixel artists anyway? Just looking at the subforums, it seems that it is a board for.. well, karate enthusiasts.

*snap*

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 01-24-2007 01:46 AM]
01-24-2007 at 01:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Alright. I confess I haven't been very active in those forums lately. But, I actually have been there for about 3 months now. I've actually been contributing a bit, and I just guess that it was a little too much, to post after about a month of inactivity. Thats all.

Keep posting,

[Last edited by UrAvgAzn at 01-24-2007 02:21 AM]
01-24-2007 at 02:20 AM
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
ErikH2000 wrote:

Oh, man, I'd like to see a 3D pixel artist...
01-29-2007 at 03:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Bombadil wrote:
ErikH2000 wrote:
Oh, man, I'd like to see a 3D pixel artist...
Not much work for voxel artists nowadays, methinks...

np: Death Cab For Cutie - Why You'd Want To Live Here (John Byrd EP)

01-29-2007 at 04:01 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Well, a 3D pixel artist would probably be a texturer, while a '2D' artist could be anything from a tweener to a landscape painter, so you really need to make the distinction.

01-29-2007 at 11:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Wanted: Part-Time 2D Pixel Artist in Ballard, Washington, USA (For Caravel games, of course.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com