Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : Love the Grid. (Our News for January.)
Page 2 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
IP: Logged
icon Re: Love the Grid. (0)  
Briareos wrote:
BeefontheBone wrote:
Incidentally, there's a typo snuck in there - I don't think Michael Jackson was ever in "Caption EO", unless that was what they called the subtitled version at Disneyland Paris (which probably didn't exist at the time, anyway, thinking about it). Also, an "enjoyable time at Disneyland" is still a contradiction in terms :P
IMDb thinks otherwise... -_-
yes, but that's Captain EO, not Caption EO.

01-16-2007 at 07:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
jbluestein
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Love the Grid. (+1)  
kzc wrote:
I'm in the same situation. Ideally, I'd like to trade the credit for a discount on TCB, but I realize that could be troublesome logistically. Short of that, perhaps it could be traded for a three-month extension of CaravelNet. However, the main value I get out of CNet is the SmSs, so if such an extension were to cover a span when no SmSs were released, that wouldn't really be worthwhile.

On the other hand, I consider $12/yr. a great deal, even if it only buys three SmS realeases instead of four, so technically not getting what I paid for is not much of a big deal.

For me, it's even less so. I love the SMS releases, but the primary benefit I get out of my membership is Forum-based. So even if there were no SMS releaases at all, I would still feel like I was getting a great deal with a Caravel membership.

But it's just like this one light switch I have in my house. It doesn't do anything. I've even taken off the faceplate and determined that it's not wired to anything and will never do anything. Still, I can't stop myself from flipping it on and off every so often, just to see what happens. (1342 flips later: nothing. yet.)

Josh

01-16-2007 at 07:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Erik, Erik, Erik.

My thoughts exactly, as always. I have always thought as much about 3D and 2D games, and you've just managed to sum up all this emotion welling up inside of me in this inspirational speech. I have no idea how you manage to do it so well, but you pick a new theme and always deliver the news in such a most interesting way. This forum really does deserve the title of "The Illumination".

jbluestein said a bit earlier:
But it's just like this one light switch I have in my house. I can't stop myself from flipping it on and off every so often, just to see what happens.

Weird, I thought we had this Bar that filled that purpose. You mean, the Bar has competition now?

01-16-2007 at 08:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
BeefontheBone
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 184
Briareos wrote:
BeefontheBone wrote:<snip>Also, an "enjoyable time at Disneyland" is still a contradiction in terms :P
IMDb thinks otherwise... -_-

IMDb's opinion of what Disneyland's like is worth not a jot to me!

01-16-2007 at 08:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Yes, Beefonthebone, the original Captain EO at Disneyland did star Michael Jackson. I totally didn't remember Angelica Huston in there but Michael, oh yes.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-16-2007 at 09:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Schik wrote:
www... that's what you get when you have an built-in speling correcter that works four reading only... :-O

np: F.S. Blumm - Wurf (Summer Kling)

01-16-2007 at 09:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Banjooie wrote:

Well, Owner of a Lonely Heart is pretty terrible, but it's much better than Owner of a Broken Heart.

I couldn't decide whether to mod this comment up or down.

01-16-2007 at 09:21 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
RoboBob3000 wrote:
The conversion of existing games from 2-D to almost certainly achieved its popularity as a direct result of the corresponding intensity of their new subtitles. Who can forget such great games as Worms... 3D! Or Bubsy... 3D! Or Sonic... 3D Blast! Clear upgrades, all.

This is why I would never, ever propose creative conversions of existing games in three-dimensions back to lowly 2-d. Almost makes me wish there was a way to write a lowercase two. Terrible, terrible idea.

Why would we want to needlessly introduce innovation back into mainstream gaming? I'd rather settle back into my tired, overworked 3-D genres anyday.

Best newspost in a while. 'Grats to Lonely-Heart and Godspeed to Sten.

MP3D? Ambitious, sure, but it looks good.
01-16-2007 at 09:42 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
How many dimensions do we humans have immediate access to? Some people are going to say "four", because they are counting time as an axis we all get to walk down. But you can't see any point along that axis beyond the one you currently occupy. The conventional answer people give would be "three" (X, Y, Z). I'm not going to call those people stupid, but I asked about "immediate access", so let's narrow this down to what one sad little human can actually perceive at any given moment. The light bounces off the world and comes streaming into your eyeballs.

If you throw out time, how does the light "come streaming into your eyeballs". All perception presupposes some form of temporal dimension. I've recently been disturbed by the sci-fi gimmick of freezing time. Shouldn't everything appear completely black to the person who has frozen time? I know its not quite as interesting that way, but the photons must freeze also to maintain consistency. Or, if time is just slowed down to an infintesimal crawl, wouldn't everything appear very very dim to the unfrozen observers since proportionally less photons are reaching their eyes?

01-16-2007 at 11:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
ErikH2000 wrote:
That's a very shallow basis for a relationship with the grid. That's like me dating Natalie Portman for her looks and celebrity status, but not at all appreciating her Harvard psychology degree.
Natalie Portman? ... Ah, a "celebrity", one of those persons who has done nothing to merit my attention and yet persons expect me to know of because they live vicariously and/or love gossip.
Some bright youngster out to make a name for himself will suggest that the distance travelled orthogonally to adjacent points should always be uniform. Yeah, it's good to know what to expect when you're traversing two-dimensional space, whether it be with your eyeballs or some kind of planiversal self-propulsion system. And even though it's an arbitrary decision, I have to think that for most depicted situations, it comes in handy to have all your points along an axis-following line equidistant to their neighborly points on the line. I mean, you should have a good reason to make it more complicated than that, right?
One valid criticism of the grid is that distance is calculated orthogonally, and so it takes equal time to travel diagonally along a distance that must be greater because of the Pythagorean Theorem. Frequently even ranges of effect (like invisibility potions, bombs, decoys, etc.) are spliced from their natural circular shape into a farking square! Yet this is often simpler, and it is a game, so I'm quite willing to overlook that for the sake of bringing fun to my life.
jbluestein wrote:
What about 'Smitemichthro'?
Unless he's a masochist, I doubt michthro wants anyone smiting him. Then again, who but a masochist would optimize DROD rooms so compulsively?

01-16-2007 at 11:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Jatopian wrote:
jbluestein wrote:
What about 'Smitemichthro'?
Unless he's a masochist, I doubt michthro wants anyone smiting him. Then again, who but a masochist would optimize DROD rooms so compulsively?
I don't quite get that logic. If what you are saying is true, then 'Smitemaster' would be someone who excels at killing masters. Smitemichthro is more indicating that Michthro has reached his own level, above all others.
01-17-2007 at 01:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
stigant wrote:
If you throw out time, how does the light "come streaming into your eyeballs".
I'm not saying time isn't required for perception. I'm only saying your eyes can see just one point along its axis at any given moment. So you can't say that eyes (or other known human senses) are capable of seeing along this axis. That's what I mean when I say that dimension isn't "immediately accessible".

And I don't want to act like my Pop Physics stuff is a big mind-blower or particularly insightful. I think most everybody here has had heard an earful of this sort of thing from a drunk froshman. My basic point, probably not too controversial, is that your eyes are receiving two-dimensional information, and perception beyond those two dimensions is the brain's guesswork.
All perception presupposes some form of temporal dimension. I've recently been disturbed by the sci-fi gimmick of freezing time. Shouldn't everything appear completely black to the person who has frozen time? I know its not quite as interesting that way, but the photons must freeze also to maintain consistency. Or, if time is just slowed down to an infintesimal crawl, wouldn't everything appear very very dim to the unfrozen observers since proportionally less photons are reaching their eyes?
I agree with you that it would be more difficult for light to reach your eyes if it were unable to move. I don't know what you would perceive if you and your body were somehow able to keep functioning at regular speed while everything else was paused. I suppose you could move your eyes into the light to keep stationary photons bumping into your sensors, but since your eyes are used to receiving so many of them so fast, I'd guess your brain would still interpret it as darkness. Yeah, I agree with the guesses you made, Stigant.

-Erik

01-17-2007 at 01:33 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Jatopian wrote:
Natalie Portman? ... Ah, a "celebrity", one of those persons who has done nothing to merit my attention and yet persons expect me to know of because they live vicariously and/or love gossip.
Aw, you're hurting her feelings. Come on, you saw Star Wars. You remember Natalie, don't you? Please? I got her here right now sobbing up a storm because of you.

-Erik

01-17-2007 at 01:35 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
jbluestein wrote:
I should note that I'm not actually complaining about the lateness of the SMS. But I do have a question: For those people who have been Caravel members since the first SMS was released (or at least since it was still available), and who don't intend to let their membership expire anytime soon, do the credits have any value at all?
It's a good question. At some point in the future, I think we may do a review of the accounts and see who is in that situation, and then make some kind of offer to square things up. I doubt there are very many people who will end up with an extra downloadable credit though.

Or we might release an extra SmS at some point. Hard to say right now.

-Erik

01-17-2007 at 01:47 AM
silver
Rank Points: 915
ErikH2000 wrote:
I'm not saying time isn't required for perception. I'm only saying your eyes can see just one point along its axis at any given moment. So you can't say that eyes (or other known human senses) are capable of seeing along this axis. That's what I mean when I say that dimension isn't "immediately accessible".

note that in actuality you are perceiving a zillion different points in time "at once" - trivially different points in time for things up close, but when you look into the sky at night, you see the clouds as they were noticably more recently than the moon was, and you the scale becomes brain sploding when you compare that you how far back in time you're seeing the stars and other galaxies and stuff.
of course, you knew that.

--

your two retinas are 2-D individually, but the optical processing part of your brain is always responding to both at once. more than the illusion of 3-D, it's impossible for you to think about things without doing differential viewing - you cannot escape back to the individual retinas and just think about them.

moreover, the brain does not process each "quantized instant of retinal viewing" fully before going to the next - it's not like staring at a single film frame and understanding it fully before looking at the next one. experiments have shown that sometimes what you "saw" was retroactively altered by other thoughts or subsequent images.

your eyes flick around in motions called staccades faster than your brain can "finish perceiving" a single image. these feed dimensions of motion and space to your brain.

while your retinas contain a 2-D image, you literally cannot "think" about those captures - you ONLY perceive a world full of motion (i.e. time) and three-dimensionality.

I'm not being coherent here. I should just refer to Consciousness Explained by Dan Dennett and move on.

[Last edited by silver at 01-17-2007 03:19 AM]
01-17-2007 at 02:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
This reminds me of how in movies when they want to show how something is seen through a fly or spider or similar creature's eyes, they show you a screen divided into many segments. But that a lie! True, they have many eyes, but everything they see is combined into one consistent picture (with a much better angle than humans, flies probably have full 360-degrees in three dimensions view). When something is shown through human eyes, they don't split the screen into two individual images just because humans have two eyes...

You look with your eyes, but you see with your brain.

01-17-2007 at 06:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Maurog wrote:
When something is shown through human eyes, they don't split the screen into two individual images just because humans have two eyes...
Unless they're looking through binoculars :rolleyes. Silly movie-makers.

Anyway:

Level: Palindrome

~ Gerry

01-17-2007 at 03:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Level: -O3
01-17-2007 at 03:28 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Congrats Michthro.

Grandmaster Wizard?
01-17-2007 at 03:30 PM
Briareos
Level: The Building

np: F.S. Blumm - Binsen & Bast (Summer Kling)

01-17-2007 at 07:00 PM
BeefontheBone
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 184
Briareos wrote:
Schik wrote:
www... that's what you get when you have an built-in speling correcter that works four reading only... :-O
If that wasn't deliberate, you just got yourself modded up with a spelling mistake - possibly a first :)

Apparently, Neil has the same problem :P

01-17-2007 at 07:41 PM
Briareos
BeefontheBone wrote:
Briareos wrote:
If that wasn't deliberate, you just got yourself modded up with a spelling mistake - possibly a first :)
Oh, but it was quite deliberate. If it wasn't there'd be something mis ing... namely my Pre-Send Proofreading(TM)(pat.pending.)(etc.)... :D

Click here to view the secret text

np: Dosh - Bottom Of A Well (The Lost Take)

01-17-2007 at 08:22 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Level: Fourth Floor, Going Up.

01-17-2007 at 10:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Level: Crossing
Level: Better than you
Level: #1@#1

----
Comic re- grids

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 01-17-2007 10:31 PM]
01-17-2007 at 10:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bflatjeff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
Rabscuttle wrote:
Level: Master Smitemaster

Or I propose-
Level: Smitemaster Master
or
Level: Smitemastermaster

Or if we've got superscripts,
Level: Smitemaster^2

[Last edited by bflatjeff at 01-18-2007 06:45 AM]
01-18-2007 at 06:43 AM
Briareos
bflatjeff wrote:
Or if we've got superscripts,
Level: Smitemaster^2
Shouldn't that be "Smite(master)^2"? ;)

01-18-2007 at 07:53 AM
silver
Rank Points: 915
"Smitegrandmaster" or "Grand Smitemaster" perhaps?

01-18-2007 at 11:52 AM
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
Or go one big step up from a Masters: Doctor of Smiting (or Smitery, or Smitation, or whatever).
01-18-2007 at 12:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
jbluestein
Has anyone proposed

Level: Living Legend

?

01-18-2007 at 02:26 PM
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
Congrats!

How about Level : Just way too good?
or
Level : Too good for my own good?

[Last edited by Pilchard VIII at 01-18-2007 03:45 PM]
01-18-2007 at 03:44 PM
Page 2 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : Love the Grid. (Our News for January.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com