Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Build 40 Release Candidate
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Build 40 Release Candidate (0)  
Let's try this again. The third release candidate is available for download and testing.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=10939&release_id=180009

Could you guys run through my smoke test again?

1. Install DROD and run it.
2. Import 1.5 data if you got it.
3. Play through the a few rooms.
4. Switch between fullscreen and windowed modes.
5. Create a new hold and edit some rooms.
6. Export the hold.
7. Import the hold.

Just post a reply to this topic and say what O/S(s) you ran the test on successfully.

Only one bug was fixed for this release:

84245 BUG: Win98 install--DROD can't find data.

-Erik

08-25-2003 at 07:22 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Build 40 Release Candidate (0)  
Passes smoke test, Windows XP Home edition, laptop.

Some small things: if you run DROD from the desktop shortcut, stderr.txt and stdout.txt show up on the desktop, although they disappear when DROD is closed. Not a big deal.

When looking up some info for a reply to Dorus's post on this board, I loaded up the exit room to level 20. Beethro is on the checkpoint in the room, which is past where the blue door was. However, on the map there are four rooms which are listed as red: 3N 1W, 3N 1E, 2N 1E, and 1N 1E. But when I go to those rooms in the game, they are not red. I think that the Restore screen is using the "room solved?" values from when I first entered the exit room, which also has 3N 1W and 1N 1E unsolved and 3N 1E and 2N 1E not entered. I don't think it's a big deal, since the correct values are saved, but you never know.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-25-2003 at 10:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Another error: clicking on Help or pressing F1 at any point in the game gives this Windows error message:

"Windows cannot find 'C:NewGamesdrod_40DataHelp1****.html'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. Blah Blah Blah," where **** is the help file for the area you are in.

However, it still brings up the correct help page. Strange...

Edit: this doesn't happen if you load the help file from the Start Menu.

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 08-25-2003 at 11:02 PM GMT: added more info]

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-25-2003 at 10:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
icon Re: Re: Build 40 Release Candidate (0)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
When looking up some info for a reply to Dorus's post on this board, I loaded up the exit room to level 20. Beethro is on the checkpoint in the room, which is past where the blue door was. However, on the map there are four rooms which are listed as red: 3N 1W, 3N 1E, 2N 1E, and 1N 1E. But when I go to those rooms in the game, they are not red....
Why:huh!?!??!?!!?!!??!!

Had to get that out of my system. This is frustrating... I'll take care of it...

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
08-25-2003 at 10:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Well, here is another screwed up thing...I just restarted DROD, and for some reason every subscreen had blank buttons, and no holds or levels listed in the menus. When I quit, there was no text in the popup window. Reinstalling restored the functionality.

I haven't yet been able to reproduce this with my new install. The old drod.err file just has three bytes: TTT. Sorry I don't know what's going on. All I was doing was checking out rooms for giving out hints, and checking out the help files, and copying and pasting rooms in the editor, etc. I've tried to redo everything I did before this happened, but I can't figure it out. Sorry. :(

Game on,

08-25-2003 at 10:59 PM
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
Smoke screen passed in Windows98...

...so that one bug from build39 was fixed. Also I'm able to import my 1.6 .player file again (the one that gave me errors about demos) so that bug has been fixed from build38.

08-25-2003 at 11:03 PM
Tscott
Rank Points: 382
Oneiromancer wrote:
I haven't yet been able to reproduce this with my new install. The old drod.err file just has three bytes: TTT. Sorry I don't know what's going on. All I was doing was checking out rooms for giving out hints, and checking out the help files, and copying and pasting rooms in the editor, etc. I've tried to redo everything I did before this happened, but I can't figure it out. Sorry. :(
This sounds like what happened to me once in build 32: http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=1086&page=0#6286 (ignore the stuff about strange demos, it turned out to be not a bug). Reinstalling fixed the problem and I never had this happen again. Like you, I've no clue what caused it.

[Edited by Tscott on 08-25-2003 at 11:09 PM]

08-25-2003 at 11:08 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Ok, I've taken care of it.

(BTW, this was a half-fixed build 39 bug. I just took care of the other half.)

[Edited by mrimer on 08-25-2003 at 11:30 PM]

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
08-25-2003 at 11:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
icon Re: Re: Re: Build 40 Release Candidate (0)  
Tscott wrote:
This sounds like what happened to me once in build 32: http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=1086&page=0#6286 (ignore the stuff about strange demos, it turned out to be not a bug). Reinstalling fixed the problem and I never had this happen again. Like you, I've no clue what caused it.

I thought that this had happened to someone else, but didn't want to spend too much time searching for it. Very odd...

Game on,

08-25-2003 at 11:17 PM
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
Test passed on XP professional.

"Oook!"
09-01-2003 at 04:34 PM
ErikH2000
Oneiromancer wrote:
Another error: clicking on Help or pressing F1 at any point in the game gives this Windows error message:

"Windows cannot find 'C:NewGamesdrod_40DataHelp1****.html'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. Blah Blah Blah," where **** is the help file for the area you are in.

However, it still brings up the correct help page. Strange...
Hey, Onei! Does this still happen in build 41?

-Erik

09-05-2003 at 01:28 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Just to let you know, Erik, I won't be able to test this for you until Monday (the 8th)...so hang in there!

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 09-07-2003 at 07:12 PM]

09-07-2003 at 06:34 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I don't know if this is still relevant after the changes to build 41, but I was playing build 40, and exited DROD normally (at least to all appearances) - no crash, no visible errors - and when I restarted the text was all gone.

I don't remember doing anything unusual before exiting DROD.

09-07-2003 at 07:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
eytanz wrote:
I don't know if this is still relevant after the changes to build 41, but I was playing build 40, and exited DROD normally (at least to all appearances) - no crash, no visible errors - and when I restarted the text was all gone.

I don't remember doing anything unusual before exiting DROD.
It's useful to know that you didn't see an abnormal exit. So that is fairly important. Build 41 may still have addressed the problem, but from what you say I think it is not so likely. Any clues about how to reproduce this? What did you do in your DROD session?

I'm really disturbed about this bug. It's coming up really frequently.

-Erik

09-07-2003 at 10:15 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
As far as I can remember, I imported and played TScott's demo of the last room in level 2 of Mike's hold "Dugan's Dungeon Revisited" (the demo is attached to the last message in this hold's thread in the architecture forum), stopped the playback after some 20 moves (since I was just looking for a hint, not a solution), then solved the room myself in several tries.

Note, now that I think of it, that the room involves many queens and a cursory inspection of post dates indicates that the demo may have been posted before the queens' change, so that there may have been some incompatibility I was unaware off because I didn't run the demo for long enough.

(I wanted to try to reproduce this but then I realized that I no longer have access to the room in question since I lost my player to the text bug, and it's too tough a dungeon to just play through quickly again).

Also, in a totally different direction - I multi-task quite a bit while playing DROD and use ALT-TAB to shift back and forth - and inevitably ALT-TAB gets all screwed up and stops working and I have to close all the other windows except DROD in order to play it. This isn't a serious bug, and it's been reported several times before, so I didn't want to bother you about it before the release, but it may have something to do with the text bug as well.

Running on XP professional, by the way.

[Edited by eytanz on 09-07-2003 at 02:17 PM]

09-07-2003 at 02:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bdcribbs
Rank Points: 390
eytanz wrote:
and inevitably ALT-TAB gets all screwed up and stops working and I have to close all the other windows except DROD in order to play it
[Edited by eytanz on 09-07-2003 at 02:17 PM]

When this has happened to me I've been been able to get back to DROD without closing the other windows by selecting it from the taskbar instead of trying to alt-tab back.

As for the corrrelation with the missing text, that's a good thought... I guess we can try swiching focus a lot and see if we can produce a consistent testcase for it.
09-07-2003 at 06:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Erik, the Help bug does indeed happen in Build 41. However, I found out why it happens: it is because I am using the Avant Browser as my default browser. When I switched to IE, the help opened up without an error message. When I switched back to Avant again, it gave me the error again.

bdcribbs, I know you have been using Avant, have you noticed this bug? If not, I could have some strange Avant setting active that is messing with this. It is still worth noting that the help file does show up, even with the error message.

Game on,

09-08-2003 at 06:05 PM
ErikH2000
Oneiromancer wrote:
Erik, the Help bug does indeed happen in Build 41. However, I found out why it happens: it is because I am using the Avant Browser as my default browser. When I switched to IE, the help opened up without an error message. When I switched back to Avant again, it gave me the error again.
Thanks for narrowing it down. I don't think we will pursue a fix, because I'm afraid of introducing new bugs when we are about ready to release. However, we've already begun work on displaying the help pages inside of DROD instead of using an external browser. Problems like this should go away in the release after DROD:AE.

-Erik

09-08-2003 at 06:19 PM
Oneiromancer
Yeah, I didn't think that this was a big deal, I can certainly work around it. Having a help file within DROD is definitely a good idea.

Game on,

09-08-2003 at 06:32 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Build 40 Release Candidate
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com