Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : What do you use to play music?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
IP: Logged
icon What do you use to play music? (+1)  
I got to thinking about this when I was bidding for a minidisc player for the car. Minidisc is my preferred format even though it is considered by many to be a dead format. I don't need to be able to carry my whole music collection around with me and one Hi-MD disc will give me 8 hours of excellent quality music, plus I can record in the field anytime I want.

I do also have mp3 players, because I'm a sucker for anything that plays music, plus I have the usual hi-fi that no one should be without.

(OK, I got carried away, and I know it sounds like a "I've shown you mine so show me yours" post, but I'm confined to the house and bored stupid. Plus the list I've made will now be useful for insurance purposes.)

Portable players I own:

1998 JVC XM-R70 minidisc recorder with mic input. Records SP only. Still used for recording with mic.

1998 An original 32 meg Rio PMP300 which loads though the parallel port. Sloooooow. It was the world's second flash mp3 player. The first was a Korean offering.

2000 Napa portable CD/MP3 player. Still in occasional use - and still unreliable.

2002 Freecom Beatman II mini CD/Mp3 player. Occasionally used in the car for listening to recorded radio plays where quality isn't such a big issue.

2004 Generic 256 meg MP3 player/recorder, data storage, with FM radio. Used only as a radio and voice recorder these days.

2005 Sharp MT270H minidisc recorder with MDLP. No mic unfortunately. Still used most days.

2006 Sony MZ-NHF800 minidisc. Hi-MD allows 1 gig discs to record about 8 hours at 256k. Original 80 minute discs can be reformatted to play around 2hrs 20mins at 25k or 4hrs 40mins at 132k. The latter is perfectly OK for "on the move" music. The 1 gig discs can also record 1hr 34mins of PCM/WAV (CD) quality. My favourite player so far. (Also has FM radio built into the remote.) MP3's can be copied from the PC to the minidisc through USB, though they are re-encoded into the Sony ATRAC format.

2006 Sony N710 minidisc. Similar to the NHF800 except that it isn't Hi-MD capable. Bought to replace the JVC as it can record for twice as long.

Sennheiser PX100 headphones
Koss Sportapro headphone
Sony ex70lp ear canal phones
Creative CE360 ear canal phones on their way.

Standalone stuff:

JVC mini CD/AM/FM hi-fi connected to the PC and played through JPW Gold Monitors. Had these given with an amp I bought and they are *excellent* for such a tiny speaker.

Main system:

Cambridge A1 amp, Sony JE480 minidisc player, Yamada DVD/CD/MP3/Divx player, Kef Concerto speakers.

Music:

About 600 albums on minidisc and more CD's than I care to count, but probably around a couple of thousand. MP3's? Only ones ripped from my own CD's, your honour! ;)

So, what you got?
01-05-2007 at 12:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: What do you use to play music? (+1)  
For my portable needs I'm using a Maxfield G-Flash Deluxe 1GB which is an USB stick MP3 player that uses AAA batteries - sure, it's a bit thicker than all those ultra-flat iPod Nanos, but it sure is nice to be able to swap one rechargeable battery for another when it runs out... :D

IMHO, 1 GB is plenty for a 30-45 minute commute, and it's quickly refilled over USB... :)

As headphones, I've been using Koss PortaPros in the last few years and probably will continue to do so, as they sound great and don't need any kind of bass boost.

Standalone-wise, all I have in my room is my PC with it's Creative X-Fi hooked up to Creative I-Trigue 3800 stereo speakers with a subwoofer and remote, which sound great.

And of course there's more than 1200 CDs, about 900 of which I've already ripped to MP3; usually I play newly-bought CDs a few times in my DVD drive then rip them to MP3...

Now all I'd need would be new shelves (or crates) to store those CDs, currently they're more or less stacked against the wall... :?

PS: I never liked Minidisc (though I don't hate it with a passion) - but last week I bought Gescom's "Minidisc" on CD... :lol

PPS: Not to mention that I had a good laugh opening the case and seeing a photo of Josef Broukal (then-TV-host-now-turned-politican) holding the original minidisc that this was released on at the Prix Ars Electronica awards ceremony when Gescom won the Computer Music award with it... ;)

[Last edited by Briareos at 01-05-2007 12:55 PM]
01-05-2007 at 12:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
A Sony NH900 (one of the portable hi-mds), today used mostly for recording -- you know, Grand Auditions and such. Its predecessor (an ugly light-blue Sharp from the MDLP-but-not-yet-USB era) is also collecting dust in a drawer somewhere.

The mike I use for recording is an old Philips n8402 I'm perma-borrowing from my parents. It's a stereo microphone ... for definitions of "stereo microphone" including "two mono mikes on one stand, with the cables glued together and the original two mono 3.5mm plugs cut off and replaced with a stereo 3.5mm by the end user". It works well enough for what I throw at it (quiet vocals, mostly rehearsal recordings for self-observation); and of course it looks dead stylish ;)

Listening happens mostly on my compact stereo -- a JVC-something-or-other all-in-one job. I have some music copied to minidiscs, but for mobile listening I've recently moved to a harddisk player (iaudio x5 20gb, running rockbox as its firmware). That currently contains about 4 gigabytes of -q4 vorbis music and ... um ... maybe 40 hours of audiobooks/plays at -q2 or so. I don't listen to music through my computer, and don't keep any on it although I obviously use it as the step between CDs and the DAP.

Headphones: Sennheiser px100, same as bandit's. They're very comfortable (but then I'm comparing mostly to earbuds, which tend to be a millimeter or three too big for my ears), fold into a reasonably compact and sturdy case, and sound nice.
01-05-2007 at 01:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: What do you use to play music? (0)  
Man you guys use alot of gadgets to listen to music.

The only way I listen to music nowadays is via my pc speakers, which due to the fact that the pair I normally use has its left speaker not working at all(should be trying to fix that soon), I just have my headphones plugged in, and the volume cranked up.

Kinda shoddy I know.
01-05-2007 at 03:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
ummmmm

:unsure

anyone else here heard of 'records'? :~(

me - :oldtimer

I have a Dual505 deck, with a Denon 335R and B&W CDM7NT speakers.

(I did actually buy myself a good CD player a couple of years ago - an Arcam CD73 - but I don't have very many CDs yet. It always takes me a while to catch up with technology, as some of you here will already have realised! :rolleyes )

Elf.

01-05-2007 at 03:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Znirk
Elfstone wrote:

anyone else here heard of 'records'? :~(

me - :oldtimer
Nice moustache.

Um, records, yes. I'm sort of a walking cutoff date there: My two older sisters (by 2 and 4 years) each bought a record or three in their teenage years, but by the time I was interested and rich enough to buy my own music, compact discs were the obvious choice around here.

Speaking of old-but-not-useless media, the fairy tale tape cassettes of my childhood are being reactivated as nephew fodder these days. Ah, the memories -- and ah, the tapes where my mother recorded herself reading to her eldest, complete with comments from the three-year-old that has since grown up to be said nephews' mum. Priceless.
01-05-2007 at 04:13 PM
bandit1200
Elfstone, I sold my record collection last year, along with the deck - an STD 305M with a Hadcock arm - and I've regretted it ever since.

My first decent turntable in the 70's - a Dual 504 - was the predecessor to your own, followed by a Linn Sondek LP12 with Acos arm. I'd have loved to have kept the Linn, but after 20 years of owning it I was made an offer I couldn't refuse. It was one of the first LP12's made, so someone regarded it as a collectors item and was willing to pay handsomely. The STD deck came as part of the deal.

I don't know the Denon, but I am certainly jealous of your B&W's. :)

Znirk, I was looking for an NH900 as I wanted the line out capability. I never managed to win an auction on ebay for one and eventually went for the NHF800. I'm glad in a way, because I prefer being able to use rechargable AA batteries, though it does make the player slightly bigger. I have a stereo mic already, but I'm in the process of making a binaural "stealth" mic and a battery module so I can use line in. You can see them (not mine) at forums.minidisc.org

Briareos, if your Portapros ever pack in, the Sennheisers compare favourably and I actually prefer them at times. Mind you, the Portapros have a lifetime guarantee on them, though I don't think they will honour it with mine as I replaced the cord myself. (The left hand side is silent at the moment. Probably testament to my soldering skills. :( ) The Koss service is excellent though. The foam earpieces on mine fell apart and an email had two new pairs sent in the next post without even having to prove I had the 'phones.

np: The Battered Ornaments - [Mantle-Piece - 1969] #10 - The Week Looked Good On Paper (05:23)
01-05-2007 at 05:16 PM
Znirk
bandit1200 wrote:
Znirk, I was looking for an NH900 as I wanted the line out capability. I never managed to win an auction on ebay for one and eventually went for the NHF800. I'm glad in a way, because I prefer being able to use rechargeable AA batteries, though it does make the player slightly bigger.
Well, the NH900 comes with a screw-on "backpack" for an additional AA. Ugly, but not as wobbly as it looks; and with two batteries (internal gumstick plus extension AA) it's quite feasible to record to hi-md disks without plugging it in. (For those unacquainted with minidiscs: playback takes very little power, but recording to the newer high-capacity disks can drain a battery relatively quickly.)

On the other hand, don't misoverestimate the line-out function. There's no extra plug, it just uses the headphone-out and (as far as I can tell) locks the amp to 0db.
01-05-2007 at 06:14 PM
forrestfire
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
I use my trombone to play music. I'm in the highschool marching band and everything.:D

Seriously though, When I asked my parents for a CD recording of The Planets suite for Christmas, they also had to get me a portable CD player so I could listen to it on the go. Before then, I'd just listen to CDs with the family laptop.

Come to think of it, the only thing I've listened to on my new CD player is The Planets.

01-05-2007 at 11:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
I have my things for the computer. It says Fujitsu Siemens on them. :thumbsup

01-05-2007 at 11:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Amarok.
01-05-2007 at 11:44 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
NiroZ wrote:
Man you guys use alot of gadgets to listen to music.

The only way I listen to music nowadays is via my pc speakers, which due to the fact that the pair I normally use has its left speaker not working at all(should be trying to fix that soon), I just have my headphones plugged in, and the volume cranked up.

Kinda shoddy I know.
That's what I do, but I can't find anything that's Win98 compatible and plays OGG.

01-06-2007 at 12:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Jatopian wrote:
That's what I do, but I can't find anything that's Win98 compatible and plays OGG.
You *do* play DROD, right? That's your OGG player right there... :P

np: Matias Aguayo - De Papel (Are You Really Lost)

01-06-2007 at 12:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Jatopian wrote:
Audacity does. Although it will probably be a pain to use just to listen to music.
01-06-2007 at 04:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Jatopian wrote:
I suppose it depends on how powerful your Win98 computer is, but older versions of Winamp with the Vorbis plugin should work. http://www.oldapps.com is your friend here. Also, Deliplayer says it is Win98 compatible, and free.
01-06-2007 at 09:00 AM
Niccus
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 308
Jatopian wrote:

VLC (link) plays almost everything, but it looks like getting to work on Win98 might be a bit tricky.
01-06-2007 at 10:19 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Jatopian wrote:
Perhaps you should change the user. I'm still using Win98, and I find it's hard to find a player that does NOT play ogg files.

Lemme see, I've got at least 4 players that can play ogg, and 2 that doesn't.

01-06-2007 at 11:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
BeefontheBone
Rank Points: 184
IIRC, Winamp 2.x played OGGs and was definitely 98-compatible.

01-09-2007 at 11:31 PM
Jatopian
Necro. Because who goes for walks?

No, actually I want to ask what the best free music player for XP is, because I finally got a laptop. Best as in it'll play weird formats like OGG/MOD/WAV/MID/RMI/ anything I might run across later, and still be nice and peachy to use and not eat my computer like Roxio/RealPlayer/WMP/Quicktime.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 02-17-2008 12:33 AM]
02-17-2008 at 12:30 AM
Briareos
icon Re: What do you use to play music? (+3)  
Despite the tongue-in-cheek-silly name - Foobar2000

Comes with all it's own decoders (thus it won't mess up anything else on your machine), has a highly customizeable interface, lots of plugins for almost everything you can think of and it's still free (though not open source).

(For MOD et al and MIDI files you'll need the foo_dumb and foo_midi plugins available here...)

My favourite features: (*: built in, +: needs a plug in)

* Playlist tabs (no more "there goes the playlist" if you happen to open some random file with it)
+ iPod support (Install iTunes? I don't think so...)
* Not skinned to hell and back (though it's possible if you really want that - but out of the box, it looks like a Windows application and not some kind of Angry Fruit Salad(TM))
* Supports all kind of tags and cover art, along with editing those (though not cover images yet, I think - then again, I use MP3Tag for that...)
* Uses the same format string format and functions all over the place for formatting file tags and metadata for display
* Not frickin' huge at a 2.64MB download (as opposed to say... iTunes?)
+ last.fm support

np: The Orb - High Noon (The Dream)

(Oh yeah, did I mention that you could define a hotkey to copy the currently playing track into the clipboard? :D)

[Last edited by Briareos at 02-17-2008 01:16 AM]
02-17-2008 at 01:12 AM
Jatopian
Thanks.

01. Erik Hermansen - [DROD: Architects' Edition] Whistler (Title Theme)

^ (like that, but with "np: " manually added?)

02-25-2008 at 03:46 AM
Briareos
Jatopian wrote:
(like that, but with "np: " manually added?)
Nah, you can set the format used for copying the name in the Preferences under "Advanced / Display / Legacy title formatting settings / Copy Command"... granted, it's not the most discoverable location... :)

[Last edited by Briareos at 02-26-2008 10:29 AM]
02-25-2008 at 03:18 PM
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27
Winamp.
03-16-2008 at 04:18 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : What do you use to play music?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com