Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : Bachelor #3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
IP: Logged
icon Bachelor #3 (0)  
He enjoys computer games, sketching and getting lost in national parkland trying to find little flags.

For those who've just joined us, my name's Matt, and I'll be the new webmaster for DROD.net. And yes, we're all aware that the last webmaster was a Matt. Actually, it's a complicated plot to transplant Matt O'Leary's brain into another body in Australia, because it's foreign and they must all be heathens, there.

Ahem.

As Erik mentioned, DROD.net's been moved over to CityDesk, which lets me make changes in a nice environment, and at the same time delights in splitting things up into lots of different pieces all over the place. I'm still trying to work out how I managed to break the top of the page, for example, although I swear I didn't even touch it.

As you can see, I have little experience with the webmastery gimcrackery, although I have more with HTML, as well as enough to ask where the bathroom is in C, C++, Java, VB, Eiffel, VRML and Standard ML. As you can see, I'm a quantity man, although I doubt I'll be using Standard ML anywhere on the site. Half the fun is learning the tricks of the trade. And yes, I'm running Mozilla Firebird, so I'll at least try and be standards-compliant. Happy?

And the question you're all wondering: How will this imposter be any different to Clayton, who was sooo dreamy and unfortunately taken? My answer is that, well, we'll see. I've always been more for making small changes (hey, kids! Find the editor's notes!) frequently, and I've always thought the site navigation was screwy. But, seeing as I can't even get the top banner working, I have higher priorities.

Anyway, Mr. Moorteo Budkin has taken up residence, and is going to try some spring-cleaning. The Budkins have never been very good at it. What happens, as DROD grows into what Erik had maybe always envisioned for it, will be the stuff of legends.

Whether that's the good legends, like Hercules, or the bad legends, like Atlus, is something I don't want to dwell on. At least there'll be singing somewhere, especially if it gets a Disney retelling.

Sincerely,

Matt (Moorteo Budkin)

08-23-2003 at 02:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
icon Re: Bachelor #3 (0)  
Mattcrampy wrote:
As Erik mentioned, DROD.net's been moved over to CityDesk, which lets me make changes in a nice environment, and at the same time delights in splitting things up into lots of different pieces all over the place. I'm still trying to work out how I managed to break the top of the page, for example, although I swear I didn't even touch it.

Well, I can't really tell without looking at the source... let me quick go get the file. (I still have FTP access, but you have my word, I wont hurt anything.) :)

Well now, It seems that there's an huge chunk of HTML code missing from the beginning of the file. This might have occured because of Erik converting everything to CityDesk, which I know nothing about, so I won't try and fix it.

If that's not the problem, you're missing the opening HTML and BODY tags, and in the BODY tag should be something like background="topbackground.gif" (but wherever that file is now) and a few bits like: topmargin="0" leftmargin="0" That would put the image back up at the top left where it belongs.

But you should probably ask Erik first. ^_^

As you can see, I have little experience with the webmastery gimcrackery, although I have more with HTML, as well as enough to ask where the bathroom is in C, C++, Java, VB, Eiffel, VRML and Standard ML. As you can see, I'm a quantity man, although I doubt I'll be using Standard ML anywhere on the site. Half the fun is learning the tricks of the trade. And yes, I'm running Mozilla Firebird, so I'll at least try and be standards-compliant. Happy?

But no Pascal?! Even I had an intermediate knowledge of Pascal! Where will DROD.net be without it?! :P

And the question you're all wondering: How will this imposter be any different to Clayton, who was sooo dreamy and unfortunately taken? My answer is that, well, we'll see. I've always been more for making small changes (hey, kids! Find the editor's notes!) frequently, and I've always thought the site navigation was screwy. But, seeing as I can't even get the top banner working, I have higher priorities.

Eveyone always said the navigating was less-than-perfect. I think I said it a few times too. But that's probably because I've always been a messy coder, and thus, a messy designer. (just see Claythro Tower, what a heap of rubbish!)

Anyway, Mr. Moorteo Budkin has taken up residence, and is going to try some spring-cleaning. The Budkins have never been very good at it. What happens, as DROD grows into what Erik had maybe always envisioned for it, will be the stuff of legends.

Whether that's the good legends, like Hercules, or the bad legends, like Atlus, is something I don't want to dwell on. At least there'll be singing somewhere, especially if it gets a Disney retelling.

Sincerely,

Matt (Moorteo Budkin)

Good luck to you sir!
08-23-2003 at 04:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Re: Bachelor #3 (0)  
ClaytonW wrote:

Well, I can't really tell without looking at the source... let me quick go get the file. (I still have FTP access, but you have my word, I wont hurt anything.) :)

Well now, It seems that there's an huge chunk of HTML code missing from the beginning of the file. This might have occured because of Erik converting everything to CityDesk, which I know nothing about, so I won't try and fix it.

If that's not the problem, you're missing the opening HTML and BODY tags, and in the BODY tag should be something like background="topbackground.gif" (but wherever that file is now) and a few bits like: topmargin="0" leftmargin="0" That would put the image back up at the top left where it belongs.

But you should probably ask Erik first. ^_^

Pshaw! I fiddled, and got it working again. Not sure how the body tags disappeared, but I think you heartily for the tip-off. Everybody clap for Clayton. Come on... Clap!

But no Pascal?! Even I had an intermediate knowledge of Pascal! Where will DROD.net be without it?! :P

We're just going to have to pray.

Good luck to you sir!

Thank you! Luck is always appreciated.

Also, for the first time in my life, I've been sullied by spam. It's truly a sad day for humanity.

Matt

08-23-2003 at 05:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Moorteo!

It's an excellent beginning! Glad you learned how to work CityDesk quickly. Let me know if you need any help, but I suspect you'll end up more expert at it than me very soon. Anything you'd like to change is fair game, but try not to leave the site in an "under construction" state for very long. I can help a little with artwork, if you want it.

-Erik

08-23-2003 at 10:13 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
Ah, it feels nice to know that I left DROD.net in such capable hands. Erik, you chose wisely in selecting Matt. Good luck, and may your webmastership be long, fruitful, and successful.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
08-24-2003 at 07:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : Bachelor #3
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com