Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Thank You, Radiant. (The full story.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
IP: Logged
icon Thank You, Radiant. (+1)  
Firstly, I'd like to thank Radiant very much for his dedication to making spectacular games, and excellent tools. I realize all of the years of hard work that Pieter here had to go through, just to let all of us fans have fun. But there's a story behind this, how I discovered the Caravel version of DROD.

So in 1999, I was playing the Demo version of Webfoot DROD, but soon got bored. So I googled for a new game to play, and found Spiderweb Software. So for a few years, 2000 to 2004 if I remember correctly, I played Nethergate, Avernum, and awaiting the sequel to Geneforge I. I soon got bored of waiting for it, and returned to the Webfoot DROD demo which I found off of a CD called 100 Smash Games for Win95. Played it for a month, quit, then played Geneforge II. It was pretty fun, but was only a demo. So I searched the Spiderweb Software site, and I found some older games, the only one of which was compatible on Windows; Subterra. I downloaded it, played it, and I LOVED IT.

I googled SubTerra, found Crystalshard.net and downloaded the full version. Made a few not-so-great levels, and got to rank II or III, then my computer just randomly crashed. Not SubTerra's fault, but my computer's. Its very old and crashes every year or so. But when I was playing SubTerra, I remembered an ending screen, one that I remembered actually playing. It was DROD. Not the buggy Webfoot version, some new upgraded one by these jokers named Caravel. I visited their site in late 2005, still having dial-up, only downloaded DROD: Architects Edition. Looked very similar to the old one, but much nicer, and with an editor. So I made a few not-so-great levels for that, and enjoyed playing usermade levels.

In early 2006 I got DSL, and happily downloaded DROD: Journey to the Rooted Hold. Enjoyed it, played a few more usermade holds, and decided to join the forums in Mid-April. You guys accepted me with open arms. So I browsed the forums, organized it a bit by making a few Master List of some boards, and rediscovered SubTerra. Downloaded it again, and enjoyed it again.

To sum it all up, that's why I'm here. Because of Radiant, and that end game screen of SubTerra, I found DROD. And now that Radiant is making a SubTerra 2, it just brought back those memories. So I'd just like to thank Radiant, because without him, I wouldn't be here. Thank you Radiant! :)

Keep posting,

12-30-2006 at 05:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: Thank You, Radiant. (0)  
Nicely put, and I second thanking Radiant for his time and dedication. Must try out this DROD game you mention though. I presume it's 3D and has lots of guns? ;)
12-30-2006 at 05:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
:lol Hmm.. DROD... Demented Remakes Of Ducks?

Keep posting,

12-30-2006 at 05:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
Well, in the subject of finding DROD, I'd like to thank Lux. If I hadn't visited the Sillysoft homepage one day, I never would have found it. BTW I still play online once and a while... ;)

[Last edited by tokyokid at 12-30-2006 07:28 PM]
12-30-2006 at 07:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Stew Boy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 247
The way I found SubTerra was that I already played Rocks n Diamonds, and I was searching on the internet for other Boulderdash games. Then I came across SubTerra, and got hooked.
12-30-2006 at 09:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Hmm. I don't think Radiant has seen this thread yet... It'd be a pity if it went unnoticed by him...

Keep posting,

12-31-2006 at 07:07 PM
Radiant!
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 24
Oh, I've seen it :) thanks, everybody.

01-01-2007 at 05:53 AM
View Profile Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
lakibuk
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
Just started playing it a few days ago and am addicted.
Pretty good game,maybe the best Boulder Dash successor i've played so far.
Especially the generator items are great, the way they trigger machine-like sequences. More games should have stuff like that.

02-26-2007 at 10:24 PM
The Mystic
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
UrAvgAzn wrote:
I searched the Spiderweb Software site, and I found some older games, the only one of which was compatible on Windows; Subterra. I downloaded it, played it, and I LOVED IT.
That's similar to how I found SubTerra. Around 1998 or so, I bought a shareware CD titled something like "1000 Games for Windows." On it I found one of Spiderweb's games, Exile III, which naturally led me to their site; this, in turn, led me to SubTerra, which was still shareware at the time. I played and replayed the unregistered portion of the Prime set, until I discovered that the game had become freeware. It wasn't until recently that I found this forum, when I started making levels and was looking for somewhere to post them, and Stew Boy pointed me here.

(off topic, I think) By the way, all of Spiderweb's games are compatible with Windows, except for Galactic Core, Lost Souls, and Ocean Bound.

UrAvgAzn wrote:
my computer just randomly crashed. Not SubTerra's fault, but my computer's. Its very old and crashes every year or so.
Maybe it's time for a new computer. I'm looking to upgrade mine, especially since most of its hardware is either obsolete or malfunctioning. Fortunately, the hard drive's okay, so I plan to buy a cheap kit to externalize it when I get my new computer.

Click here to view the secret text

02-27-2007 at 02:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Neathro
Rank Points: 41
icon Re: Thank You, Radiant. (-1)  
I've downloaded and played just about all of the spidweb software games and geneforge 4 is my favorite. :fun :thumbsup :D i've bought Blades of Exile and avernum 3 once...

05-02-2007 at 06:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zonhin
Rank Points: 99
Uh, neathro, the last post in this thread was from about two months ago. You really shouldn't necrobump.

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye

[Last edited by zonhin at 05-18-2007 12:33 AM]
05-05-2007 at 03:38 AM
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
sometimes thread necromancy is valid. it depends on the context. generally what we do is let the moderators moderate.

05-05-2007 at 03:59 AM
zonhin
Rank Points: 99
But this isn't valid. It has barely anything to do with the thread.

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye
05-07-2007 at 01:45 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Thank You, Radiant. (The full story.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com