Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Help!!! Please...
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Bazyzy
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 7
IP: Logged
icon Help!!! Please... (-3)  
Please help. My flat was burning in fire. My family not has home. We not have money. Please help...
[removed phone numbers]

[Last edited by trick at 12-21-2006 12:15 AM : scammer scammer pants on .. er .. hammer ?]
12-20-2006 at 07:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1911
icon Re: Help!!! Please... Is this SPAM? (0)  
Hmmm...

Just registered today.
First post is asking for money?
12-20-2006 at 07:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
icon Re: Help!!! Please... (0)  
I can already sense the downfall of the forums if this unnecessary spamming continues...
12-20-2006 at 08:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Help!!! Please... (+1)  
Oh, come on, lets relax the prophecies of doom and gloom. Making dire predictions with every spammer that comes along does little to improve the signal to noise ration.

The best way to make sure that the forums are not becoming overrun with spam is to make sure that there's a lot of high-quality discussion going on. Let the admins deal with the rest.

12-20-2006 at 09:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
larrymurk wrote:
Hmmm...

Just registered today.
First post is asking for money?

What are the numbers at the bottom of his post? Is it a bank code or something? They don't look familiar to me at all.

12-20-2006 at 09:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tombot
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 58
icon Re: Help!!! Please... (-1)  
Dear random forum.

My house got ploughed into the ground via a stray meteor, my girlfriend has left me and most of my family have died of scurvy for no adequately explored reason.

Gimme ur muneeeeeee!!11!1

also: here is some random numbers and letters for no helpful or reasoned purpose:

100000000RT
122343443PS
QRYYYY23457
LPOO9837265

12-20-2006 at 09:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Fafnir
Rank Points: 315
icon Re: Help!!! Please... Why yes, I do believe it is! (+1)  
My cynicism tells me this is almost certainly spam, and that Bazyzy's flat is unharmed. The message comes from a newbie, who would doubtless have other forums to turn to than our own; it is brief, and not tailored to this forum in any way (for easy crossposting elsewhere); and it contains the mangled grammar so typical of spam. Plus, if those numbers are the only thing that would make any sense, he simultaneously has no money and four bank accounts. If you are indeed a s[p|c]ammer, Bazyzy, if there is any justice in the world your flat will burn down, with you inside it. You will die slowly, and in great pain.

In the highly unlikely event that that is not the case, please provide proof. A single post on a forum really is not enough evidence that you are actually in trouble. We do not know you, we have never heard of you in our lives, we have no reason whatsoever to believe that you are telling the truth. Remedy that, and we will help.

And to anyone who, at the moment, believes Bazyzy is genuine: MY house got eaten by Barney the Dinosaur, along with all my family!! I tried to flee the country, but the boat was destroyed by Mothra and I was left footing the bill!!! I am typing this from a cybercafe. Please, I beg of you, send ME money to live on, as I have no-one else to turn to!!!!!

S235123452345
U123412341234
C079595483042
K359564856830
E204592853906
R350394623451

12-20-2006 at 10:01 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Well, I'd delete the post, but people seem to be having fun with it, so it can stay unless folks really just want it deleted.

And from what I can tell this forum doesn't really get that much spam for its size (and love affair with Google), so no need to get too depressed...

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 12-20-2006 10:44 PM]
12-20-2006 at 10:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: Help!!! Please... (-1)  
I just checked. It wasn't Insaniquarium.
12-20-2006 at 11:42 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Andy101
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 222
Beef Row wrote:

What are the numbers at the bottom of his post? Is it a bank code or something? They don't look familiar to me at all.
The top number is an Australian phone number and the bottom one's a UK number. No idea about the other two though.

12-20-2006 at 11:45 PM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Andy101 wrote:
...the bottom one's a UK number.
It isn't. All UK landline numbers are +441..., or +442... for London. And mobiles are all +447... Just looks like gibberish to me.

"Oook!"
12-20-2006 at 11:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Andy101
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 222
krammer wrote:
Andy101 wrote:
...the bottom one's a UK number.
It isn't. All UK landline numbers are +441..., or +442... for London. And mobiles are all +447... Just looks like gibberish to me.
On closer inspection the top one's an Australian land-line whereas the other 3 are Australian mobile numbers.

12-20-2006 at 11:58 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
They are too long to be Australian numbers. I think they are just randomness.
12-21-2006 at 12:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon GIMME MONEY! (+1)  
Bazyzy wrote:
Please help. My flat was burning in fire. My family not has home. We not have money. Please help...
[removed phone numbers]
OF COURSE, I WOULD HELP YOU BUT I AN TRAPPED IN NIGERIA, IF YOU WILL PLEASE SEND ME A LITTLE SUM OF MONEY, IF YOU GIVE ME MONEY TO ESCAPE OUT OF NIGERIA, I WILL SHARE WITH YOU $5 000 000 IN FAMILY INHERITANCE!

PLEASE REPLY
RIPPOFF@ARTIST.COM

Honestly, who would, upon finding one's house on fire, boot up the Internet and post on a forum asking for monetary assistance? Its too damn amusing to be annoying.
12-21-2006 at 01:19 AM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
I believe it is preferred for people not to use all caps especially in a message title.

In certain instances, I'd say 1 word w/ all caps can be acceptable (ie. DROD, SCUBA, SPAM).

I believe this is general forum etiquette for pretty much all forums.
12-21-2006 at 01:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Niccus
Rank Points: 308
icon Re: GIMME MONEY! (0)  
NiroZ wrote:
Honestly, who would, upon finding one's house on fire, boot up the Internet and post on a forum asking for monetary assistance?
Oh, there's worse.
12-21-2006 at 01:32 AM
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
larrymurk wrote:
I believe it is preferred for people not to use all caps especially in a message title.

In certain instances, I'd say 1 word w/ all caps can be acceptable (ie. DROD, SCUBA, SPAM).

I agree all caps is kinda, well, very offensing. Like when someone (seems) like they're mad, but they aren't. With the same message in CAPS, then the person would really seem mad.

[Last edited by tokyokid at 12-21-2006 01:36 AM]
12-21-2006 at 01:36 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
larrymurk wrote:

It seems I fail at making a parody then.
12-21-2006 at 01:44 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
I believe that caps can be used for the great skill of mockery as follows:

OMG I HAV NO $$$$ PLZ SNED ME SOME NOWWW! LOLZORZ!

12-21-2006 at 02:22 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I told people internet memes are what happens when you make jokes about lynching people because they dare to criticise DROD. This is all RoboBob3000's fault.

Let's BEAT him for being DIFFERENT!

12-21-2006 at 03:42 AM
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
larrymurk wrote:
But only if you're referring to the meat product and not junk email. :) Sorry, pet peeve...
12-21-2006 at 07:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
Help! The world is being destroyed!
Who is gonna play drod now????
S3nd m3 s0/V\3 /V\on3y pl0x?

[Last edited by rowrow at 12-22-2006 02:54 AM]
12-22-2006 at 02:52 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
9567 + 1085 = 10652!!!
12-22-2006 at 02:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
Whats faster, by piggyback, or by new york?
Click here to view the secret text

[sarcastic]Seriously, we Must have a spam forum for a place where we can spam!
(its so much fun!)[/sarcastic]

[Last edited by rowrow at 12-22-2006 03:07 AM]
12-22-2006 at 03:06 AM
krepnox
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
Please help. Vogons destroyed my planet and we are running out of Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters.

SCAm666Arthur
12-27-2006 at 08:02 PM
UrAvgAzn
Rank Points: 468
Well, I think this is getting kinda out of hand guys, becau-- Hold on, get to you later, the pizza delivery man just rocket-launched my front door. AFK

Keep posting,

12-28-2006 at 01:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Help!!! Please...
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com