Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Restart room shortcut
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
IP: Logged
icon Restart room shortcut (+1)  
I don't remember this being suggested. I'm surprised it hasn't but search didn't bring anything up for me.

Basically, my suggestion is just to have a macro for the following sequence: esc - r - s - r - y

I have a feeling it's almost what Alt + r should do, but it doesn't. This sequence is slow to do manually as it has to switch to the main screen and then load the restore screen with all attached info.
12-10-2006 at 06:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
icon Re: Restart room shortcut (0)  
That's a nice idea. Although it shouldn't really be a macro for key presses as it will probably press the keys faster than it can load the screens.

EDIT: I just found out that Alt-R already does that.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 12-10-2006 07:14 PM]
12-10-2006 at 06:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I believe it's Alt-R that does that. Either that or Ctrl-R.
12-10-2006 at 07:10 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Kwakstur wrote:
That's a nice idea. Although it shouldn't really be a macro for key presses as it will probably press the keys faster than it can load the screens.

EDIT: I just found out that Alt-R already does that.

By macro, I meant "a keyboard shortcut which does the equivalent". Not one which actually went through all the screens (as this would not be any faster).
12-10-2006 at 08:45 PM
Syntax
icon Re: Restart room shortcut (+1)  
Hmmm... Ok, Alt+R does indeed to this. Sorry for this oversight.

I think my confusion is that if a room has already been cleared, Alt+R should restore to the last time the room was entered whilst uncleared which it doesn't.

This shortcut could have saved me so much time if only I had known! lol I do remember playing with it a while ago, but it never seemed to quite do what I expected...

[EDIT]

Right, that was my confusion. Alt+R is equivalent to hitting R lots of times. The feature I'd like to request is that pressing Alt+R in a cleared room restores to the actual room Start when there were monsters to be cleared (restore to initial state).

[Last edited by Syntax at 12-10-2006 08:49 PM]
12-10-2006 at 08:47 PM
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
Syntax wrote:
Hmmm... Ok, Alt+R does indeed to this. Sorry for this oversight.

I think my confusion is that if a room has already been cleared, Alt+R should restore to the last time the room was entered whilst uncleared which it doesn't.

This shortcut could have saved me so much time if only I had known! lol I do remember playing with it a while ago, but it never seemed to quite do what I expected...

[EDIT]

Right, that was my confusion. Alt+R is equivalent to hitting R lots of times. The feature I'd like to request is that pressing Alt+R in a cleared room restores to the actual room Start when there were monsters to be cleared (restore to initial state).

Yes, I do like that idea. This would help with a lot of optimization stuff. I don't really try to optimize, myself, but if it were this easy to try the room again with enemies (and if I had CaravelNet), I could get into the process of setting high scores.

12-10-2006 at 09:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
I have set my controls to reset on 'r'.
12-10-2006 at 09:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
tokyokid wrote:
I have set my controls to reset on 'r'.
Well... which reset? I don't see there being any 1-key equivalent to:
Esc - R - S - R - Y
12-10-2006 at 09:07 PM
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
Oh, sorry. I mean the restart command, that I set the R for.
12-10-2006 at 09:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Syntax wrote:
Basically, my suggestion is just to have a macro for the following sequence: esc - r - s - r - y
Great idea, as long as it doesn't really do all the stuff your key combo does - bringing up the restore screen alone takes several seconds on my machine, so if there would be a way of cutting out the middle mandelay I'd be more than happy. :)

np: Squarepusher - Orient Orange (Hello Everything)

12-10-2006 at 09:45 PM
Syntax
Exactly... it's something I use a lot, and it does take a while to get through all the screens.
12-10-2006 at 11:09 PM
schep
Rank Points: 865
icon Re: Restart room shortcut (+2)  
Not being an avid optimizer, I wouldn't use the request made above (and I assume you mean to add a new shortkey, not mess up my familiar Alt-R). But it brought to mind two similar things I've been wanting. Things which might be relatively easy to add to TCB, hint hint.

1) A quicker way to get from game play to the Restore screen, for selecting checkpoint, examining nearby rooms, or continuing a secret-room search elsewhere.
2) A Select Hold button on the Restore screen, for reference when reading and hinting on H&S.

12-11-2006 at 12:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Restart room shortcut
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com