Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : DROD Radio Show? (The pun part of my brain got involved here.)
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
IP: Logged
icon Re: DROD Radio Show? (0)  
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Oh. Well in that case...

I still work. Phooey.

Working late night weekends? Aw, man.

Well, perhaps we can push it forward a few hours (which will let UK peoples get in on the test). What time do you start work?

11-28-2006 at 01:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Mattcrampy wrote:
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Oh. Well in that case...

I still work. Phooey.

Working late night weekends? Aw, man.

Well, perhaps we can push it forward a few hours (which will let UK peoples get in on the test). What time do you start work?
I don't know about the others, but pushing it to 4-4:30 NSW time would be perfect for me.
11-28-2006 at 01:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Assuming the time is correct right now, I'd be getting off work just as the thing starts. If it were to be moved to Local Time:12-03-2006 at 05:00 AM, I could find a way. Alternatively, I could try seeing if there'd be support to try it 12 hours later/earlier during the morning and build from there.

[Last edited by gamer_extreme_101 at 11-28-2006 06:10 AM : Fixed time: Thanks Rabscuttle]
11-28-2006 at 04:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Um, that's the same time Matt originally suggested. At least to me.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 11-28-2006 06:37 AM]
11-28-2006 at 05:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
No worries, I can do it an hour later. I don't really see the point of doing a test run without Patrick, so I'm happy to wait.

11-28-2006 at 06:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
So that's 5 o'clock in the morning of 3rd December, in Australia?

According to Dashboard, Australia has 4 time zones, so it really depends on which part of Aus. you're in Matt. Perth is 8 hours ahead of us and Sydney is 11 hours. That means you will be doing this anytime between 6pm and 9pm GMT.

If I've got that right, which will it be?

Elf.

11-28-2006 at 01:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Matt's in the Sydney time zone.

11-28-2006 at 01:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone

File: 220px-Australia-Timezones-Daylight.jpg (11.9 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
License: Public Domain
eytanz wrote:
Matt's in the Sydney time zone.

Thanks eytanz!

Actually I noticed something odd in the times Dashboard was giving me for Perth, Adelaide and Sydney so I did a bit of googling and it is not 4 time zones. I had assumed one hour zones, but it is more complicated: for half the year it seems it's only 3 zones and for the other six months it's 5! (map attached, if anyone's interested)

Anyway if Matt's in the Sydney zone, that puts the event at 6pm here.
(which makes me wonder why Matt thought it was very early in the morning?) :huh

Elf.

11-28-2006 at 01:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
That makes it midnight here. Okay, I think I can do it. Now how do I use the Windows Live Messenger? I don't quite get it.
11-28-2006 at 02:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Elfstone wrote:

No, it will be 5am where you are (assuming you've got your time zone set correctly in your profile). It will be 4pm here in Sydney.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 11-28-2006 02:11 PM]
11-28-2006 at 02:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Please could someone post an official smart timestamp... way too much confusion otherwise. All I know is that it'll be approx 3:24 am here in London ;)
11-28-2006 at 03:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
Syntax wrote:
Please could someone post an official smart timestamp... way too much confusion otherwise. All I know is that it'll be approx 3:24 am here in London ;)
Mattcrampy's post has an official smart timestamp...

11-28-2006 at 03:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Syntax
Ok so it's Mattcrampy's original timestamp +1 hour for all, and +1 day if you're American. Elfstone... You need to do some crazy maths... ;)
11-28-2006 at 04:18 PM
Schik
Syntax wrote:
Ok so it's Mattcrampy's original timestamp +1 hour for all, and +1 day if you're American. Elfstone... You need to do some crazy maths... ;)
Whhhhat?

In Matt's post, I see:
2006.12.02 22:00, which is 3PM Sydney Time, 8PM Pacific Time, 11PM Eastern Time

I'm in Central time, which is one less than Eastern, so it's correct for me.

11-28-2006 at 04:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Syntax
I guess I'm seeing the same thing... 4am on the 13th for GMT.
However, Ezlo was seeing 11/03 or 03/11. Looks like the month had been decremented instead of the day. Might be a local setup issue then...
11-28-2006 at 04:32 PM
Schik
Syntax wrote:
However, Ezlo was seeing 11/03 or 03/11. Looks like the month had been decremented instead of the day. Might be a local setup issue then...
If you notice my edit of his post yesterday, and then my post down a few from his, I fixed the localtime stamp yesterday. Matt swapped the month and day in his localtime tag, which expects MM/DD/YYYY (unless you use DD MonthSpelledOut YYYY). See the Help link under the forum banner for the expected syntax of the untiltime tag.

11-28-2006 at 04:37 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Schik wrote:
Syntax wrote:
If you notice my edit of his post yesterday, and then my post down a few from his, I fixed the localtime stamp yesterday. Matt swapped the month and day in his localtime tag, which expects MM/DD/YYYY (unless you use DD MonthSpelledOut YYYY). See the Help link under the forum banner for the expected syntax of the untiltime tag.

You know what you could do, and I've seen this done before, is to make it so that each user can, for his date/time format, optionally set a string to use, which can be fed directly into the date() command, for coolness. Not related to the subject at hand, but still cool.
11-28-2006 at 04:59 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
Sorry to interrupt, but the current conversation seems to be a little :offtopic. So, I'm installing Messenger on my home computer, so I should be able to help out with the organising of the radio show and whatnot in case anyone's interested.

11-28-2006 at 05:06 PM
Ezlo
So, my Windows Live Messenger account is at EzloTheHistorian@hotmail.com who are others I should put on my list?
11-28-2006 at 05:11 PM
Pilchard VIII
Hang on, does anyone know how I can import my contact list from my e-mail account?

11-28-2006 at 05:14 PM
Schik
icon Re: DROD Radio Show? (+2)  
coppro wrote:
You know what you could do, and I've seen this done before, is to make it so that each user can, for his date/time format, optionally set a string to use, which can be fed directly into the date() command, for coolness.
For output, which is what date() does, that's exactly what I already do. However, the localtime tag needs to input a date/time from the user. And that date/time needs to be formatted according to the GNU date input formats syntax.

11-28-2006 at 05:17 PM
Ezlo
Matt's post now shows as December 2nd at 12 pm for me. I don't know what was wrong before.
11-28-2006 at 05:19 PM
Elfstone
Rabscuttle wrote:
Elfstone wrote:

No, it will be 5am where you are (assuming you've got your time zone set correctly in your profile). It will be 4pm here in Sydney.

I stand corrected. :) I had read "this weekend at 03-12-2006 04:00" in Matt's post, which I took to be 4 o'clock in the morning in one of the time zones in Australia. He then shifted it an hour later, so 5 o'clock in the morning.

I run the risk of sounding a bit parochial here, but as time zones tend to be calculated + or - GMT, would it be possible to use GMT for times set here in the forum? I would expect that we all of us know where we are in relation to GMT(except Neather2 ! ;) ) and that would lessen the kind of confusion which has arisen here.

I would very much like to listen to the broadcast and, if I can figure out the technical side of things, maybe even speak. :w00t If it is taking place at 3/4/5 in the morning GMT then it is, I have to say, unlikely that I'll be awake.:D

Elfstone.

11-28-2006 at 05:27 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Schik wrote:
coppro wrote:
You know what you could do, and I've seen this done before, is to make it so that each user can, for his date/time format, optionally set a string to use, which can be fed directly into the date() command, for coolness.
For output, which is what date() does, that's exactly what I already do. However, the localtime tag needs to input a date/time from the user. And that date/time needs to be formatted according to the GNU date input formats syntax.

No, I mean that we can type in our own. For instance if we feel some need to know what point in UNIX time every post is made, we can.
11-28-2006 at 05:39 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Elfstone wrote:

I run the risk of sounding a bit parochial here, but as time zones tend to be calculated + or - GMT, would it be possible to use GMT for times set here in the forum? I would expect that we all of us know where we are in relation to GMT(except Neather2 ! ;) ) and that would lessen the kind of confusion which has arisen here.

This is actually the way it is supposed to work currently. I do note that I did the conversion to GMT myself and the tag is giving me a time one hour earlier. I don't trust the localtime tags as they've never actually worked correctly for me.

GMT, it's 5 in the morning. This makes it 4pm Sydney time, and I'm planning to do it at 4pm Sydney time anyways. (Not every state in Australia observes daylight savings, which is why there seems to be more timezones during summer.)

11-28-2006 at 11:19 PM
Ezlo
So now that I have a MSN type program, what do I do? I'd like to know how to work it before the day of the show.
11-28-2006 at 11:21 PM
Mattcrampy
First, you have to add me as a contact. My username in MSN is an e-mail address, which is this username @gmail.com.

(This is assuming that you have an account.)

Next, come the weekend, I'll start a voice conversation with Patrick around the start time. Let me know if you want me to add you in, and I'll try and work out how to do it.

Remember, this is a test, because I got no idea how to do it and I'm not sure Gamer has, so this will be a great opportunity to find out.

11-29-2006 at 12:34 AM
Ezlo
Okay, I'd like to help. I'll be able to stay up late enough to do something. My MSN email thing is: Ezlo The Historian @ hotmail . com (Without the spaces). For some reason it wouldn't allow me to create anything but a hotmail address, I couldn't use my standard gmail one.
11-29-2006 at 02:50 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: DROD Radio Show? (+1)  
Ezlo wrote:
Okay, I'd like to help. I'll be able to stay up late enough to do something. My MSN email thing is: Ezlo The Historian @ hotmail . com (Without the spaces). For some reason it wouldn't allow me to create anything but a hotmail address, I couldn't use my standard gmail one.
So you said before. I think what will happen is Mattcrampy will add us all into the one big converstion, and work it from there.
11-29-2006 at 03:37 AM
Pilchard VIII
I should be on too. I am pilchardviii@hotmail.co.uk

11-29-2006 at 04:15 PM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : DROD Radio Show? (The pun part of my brain got involved here.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com