Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : DROD Radio Show? (The pun part of my brain got involved here.)
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
IP: Logged
icon DROD Radio Show? (+2)  
We could call it a DRODcast.

I'm sorry.

But it could be kind of cool, if people had the time to make a short audio file about DROD each week. I'd listen to it, mostly to see what sort of things DROD people would talk about.

11-25-2006 at 04:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: DROD Radio Show? (+1)  
It's a great idea. For it to work, we need someone to do this independently of the Caravel team, but we can contribute:

* Legal permission to use Caravel-owned audio clips, scripts/stories, and *some* of the music.
* Hosting of files. Possibility of a streaming server, but I don't want to commit to that.
* Promotion of new show episodes on the site, in the Illumination.

Ideas for content:

* Interviews with DROD team and community people.
* Skits of Eighth stories. Perhaps reading or acting exist text that has already been written.
* DROD News.
* Call-in segments via something like Skype.
* DROD roleplaying sessions where the host presents an Eighth-based scenario and other participants play roles of characters.

I had thought about it earlier, but filed it in the category of "Oh I really don't need to start another new project". The success of such an endeavor depends mostly on finding one person, i.e. Mr. Mattcrampy Sr., to carry it forward with flair and dedication.

-Erik

11-25-2006 at 07:40 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
icon Re: DROD Radio Show? (0)  
Sounds fun.

When can we plan on tuning in to the first episode Matt?
11-25-2006 at 08:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
I'd love to contribute stories! I've been throwing around a idea for a series of stories that the Smitemasters Guild uses for basic training. Something like: "The Adventures of Vetrin the Idiotic Exterminator"
11-25-2006 at 09:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Hmmm, 1 week sounds a bit tight, unless you plan to have Episodes.
Anyway, I must admit I like the idea, and would be happy to help out, although how I am not too certain.
11-25-2006 at 10:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
I'd actually love to help out with an idea like this, assuming we can get a big enough of a base and enough ideas to regularly fill a podcast. There would be another term that I'd put in, but that's only concerning if we get a good enough of a base.

11-26-2006 at 12:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
I'm thinking improvisation along a certain topic might be interesting: "Quick, you wake up and you have a roach directly behind you. What do you do?"

11-26-2006 at 03:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Well, in my mind, here's how it would go:

1. A group of people are selected for a podcast episode. This can and should change from episode to episode, with one person consistently there as the host/moderator.

2. That group selects simple topics to be discussed that episode which will be used as a guideline for that podcast. The vast majority of what you would hear would be improved and on the spot.

3. The group then decides at what time they would all be online for a sufficient amount of time simultaneously to record the broadcast live. This can be done through Windows Live Messenger's audio call feature and recorded on the host/moderator's computer.

4. The moderator can then edit the audiocast, removing some content as needed and cleaning it all up, alongside writing up a brief description of the file and uploading it.

I think that in my mind, the most realistic option to start out with would be gearing towards a once-monthly podcast, and seeing how support and time management work out by then. Like I said before, if support was great enough, I'd be willing to spearhead it and start finding people to join me, but since we only have half a dozen people interested at the moment, it doesn't fully seem worthwhile.

11-26-2006 at 04:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
I could probably help. Sounds like a fun idea!

11-26-2006 at 07:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Sounds like Gamer's thought this through more than I have, but I'm happy to ride on his coattails be a regular guest. I could be like the John C. Dvorak of DROD!

I'm also happy to do some of the organising, but I'm not keen on running it myself as my track record with this Web 2.0 junk is pretty abysmal. I'd prefer to be part of a team, so if one person can't do it or isn't keen or is wondering 'what is the damn point of making a podcast that only the panellists listen to' the other person can step up and shoulder the burden.

11-26-2006 at 08:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Well, just a quick check then.

Is anyone interested in listening to these podcast, but for any reason not wishing to participate?
11-26-2006 at 09:34 AM
Remlin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 181
NiroZ wrote:
Is anyone interested in listening to these podcast, but for any reason not wishing to participate?
Me!
11-26-2006 at 10:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
NiroZ wrote:

Yes!
I don't have the computing skills to help with this, but it sounds very interesting.

Elfstone.

11-26-2006 at 11:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
NiroZ wrote:

Is anyone interested in listening to these podcasts, but for any reason not wishing to participate?

I probably won't be able to contribute voice-wise, but I'd love to hear it. I say probably won't, because my Eyetoy may not be the best way of recording.

Also, perhaps once weekly is pushing it a bit, perhaps fortnightly may be a better idea, or if it comes down to it, once monthly, to go with The Illumination.

Another interesting question would be what would regularly be in it.

[Last edited by Pilchard VIII at 11-26-2006 12:26 PM]
11-26-2006 at 12:25 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
I'd like to say a few things without getting bossy. These are just suggestions and people are of course free to do what they want.

I'd aim for a monthly release and allow yourself the possibility of stocking up on extra episodes that you can keep around for later posting. Or at least, little clips of filler material could be stocked up and ready to put into the show.

Consensus-building kills. Somebody needs to figure out what they want to do and just try it. If you wait to sort out all the opinions of how it should go down, you'll never make anything. One person should just be the leader and decide what he wants to be in the show.

Patrick so far is the only one who volunteered for that role. I'm not annointing him or anything, but I think that if he just went ahead and made "Patrick's DROD Show" (or whatever), things would work out. Tens of people would listen to the show right away, and maybe hundreds in a few months. Similarly, I don't think there will be any shortage of people willing to help put together material. The one element that really makes it go is the person that takes the initiative to create the show and then hopefully keeps up with it after that.

-Erik

11-26-2006 at 11:01 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460

Regular topics could be stolen borrowed from the Illumination.

* The results from last months contest and what's happening with the current month's contest.
* New holds that have been released with mini reviews of each one. Also possible is in-depth reviews of older holds/levels/rooms.
* Any interesting discussions that are happening in the forum and leaked TCB secrets.

Hmmm...

Discussions & reviews of other puzzle and indie type games.
Call in H&S (although if it's anything like the board it'll be "Hi, I'm having trouble with this room in this hold... no wait, I see how to do it now, bye")

I wouldn't mind participating but I have doubts about my audio recording hardware, bandwidth and ability to speak clearly.

11-27-2006 at 01:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
I'm going to start up writing some "literature" for either this or the site, probably both. I might not be able to record or speak on the show because my stupid microphone is giving me headaches. But anyone can do it I assume.
11-27-2006 at 01:58 AM
Mattcrampy
icon Re: DROD Radio Show? (+2)  
All right, you know what? Let's do a test run, so we can work out how to get more than one person in a room and record all the voices.

I'm going to be up and at my computer ready to record some foo's this weekend at Local Time:12-03-2006 at 04:00 AM, which is 3PM Sydney Time, 8PM Pacific Time, 11PM Eastern Time, and some godawful hour in the morning UK time. Sorry about that, guys, but it's only a test run for now. I think we'll use MSN for this test run, although I believe Skype can also do it, and if MSN doesn't work we might get onto Skype. If that doesn't work we might be able to wangle a Ventrilo or Teamspeak server but that's a pain so let's try to avoid that.

My MSN details are <---that username at gmail.com, and Skype details will be forthcoming.

[Last edited by Schik at 11-27-2006 08:52 PM : Fixed the local time tag]
11-27-2006 at 09:09 AM
Ezlo
Okay, what MSN program thing do I need then to help? And are you talking about March 11th 2006, or November 3rd 2006, both of which have passed.
11-27-2006 at 01:05 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
December 3rd. Might be a bug with the timestamp thing and the month/day ordering...
11-27-2006 at 01:08 PM
Mattcrampy
Okay, what MSN program thing do I need then to help?

Any one that allow you to start an audio conversation. I think both MSN/Windows Live Messenger and Trillian offer the feature - it's considered standard.

And are you talking about March 11th 2006, or November 3rd 2006, both of which have passed.

This weekend. So the December date.

I can't help it if you Americans come up with your own standards for dates!

11-27-2006 at 02:34 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Mattcrampy wrote:

So, is it customary to hold December as the 11th month in Sydney? Must be why my grandmother always misses my birthday :P.

[Last edited by eytanz at 11-27-2006 02:57 PM]
11-27-2006 at 02:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
eytanz wrote:
Mattcrampy wrote:

So, is it customary to hold December as the 11th month in Sydney? Must be why my grandmother always misses my birthday :P.
I had presumed that's what Ezlo was seeing too but I can see the 12th month correctly.

[EDIT]

Albeit in American format so this:

[Last edited by Syntax at 11-27-2006 04:23 PM]
11-27-2006 at 04:22 PM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
Yes, based on my timezone he must've set it up for the 3rd of December at 04:00 GMT, which was interpreted by the forum as March 12 instead of December 3.

11-27-2006 at 05:00 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Same here. I always type the date out so as to avoid ambiguity.

But that's not important. For recording, someone in the room should ideally have another computer linked in that has it's microphone and speaker plugs hardwired to each other, allowing for recording to occur via a different program whilst the chat occurs.
11-27-2006 at 05:07 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Oy - I'm at work that evening (Assuming it's December 4th). I'd still like to try my hand at getting this thing going as best as I can, mainly because I would easily rather express opinions vocally than via writing. I wonder if we could get a separate DRODcast board set up on the forum to start doing some initial planning and get a base set of people who would be willing to volunteer their voices and planning into this. Out of all the projects that I've attempted that have been DROD related, this is the one I'd love to see go as far as it can.

11-27-2006 at 08:39 PM
kie
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 221
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Oy - I'm at work that evening (Assuming it's December 4th).

December 3rd in Australia is/will be/was December 2nd in Canada, give or take a few hours...

11-27-2006 at 08:51 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Oh. Well in that case...

I still work. Phooey.

11-27-2006 at 08:52 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
I fixed Matt's localtime tag to use the correct format to help with all of the confusion.

11-27-2006 at 08:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Ezlo
So I signed up for Windows Live Messenger, now what do I do? I really want to be able to help with the show.
11-27-2006 at 09:14 PM
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : DROD Radio Show? (The pun part of my brain got involved here.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com