Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Groan!! - deaf again!! ((but I will be extra careful this time))
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Elfstone
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1285
IP: Logged

File: drod.ini (2.9 KB)
Downloaded 55 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Groan!! - deaf again!! (0)  
I've done that terminal thing mike, and here is the file.

Elf.

11-15-2006 at 07:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: Groan!! - deaf again!! (+1)  
Elfstone wrote:
Anyway it seems that using unix(?) I can find anything, anywhere in my computer whether it is hidden or not, just so long as I can figure out how to ask it. I'll have to read that section again - eventually my eyes glazed over - because it is using language and jargon in a way that I'm not used to.
As mrimer said, I admire your initiative. Basically, think of the terminal as being the place where everything *actually* happens. All those pretty pictures and clicky things just translate into boring old text to type :)

So yeah, with the terminal it's possible to do absolutely everything where as the GUI (mouse interface) sometimes doesn't (such as hiding hidden folders).

Again, to add to mrimer, please really do feel free to ask anything you wish to know about various commands, or things you don't quite grasp at first. It truly is a powerful tool, and it's actually very fun to learn :) It will become second nature once you've used it enough...

[EDIT]

My apology for double post no longer applied :)

[Last edited by Syntax at 11-15-2006 07:19 PM]
11-15-2006 at 07:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Thanks again Syntax.

Does the drod.ini file I posted above shed any light on the disappearing sound?

Elf.

11-16-2006 at 02:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Elfstone wrote:
I'm...not sure. It seems to have all the text entries, but there are some CR characters that Notepad doesn't process properly while Wordpad (on Windows) does. I'm not sure whether this has any impact on DROD's INI parser. Maybe a non-Windows dev could confirm this one way or another for me.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-16-2006 at 07:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
mrimer wrote:
Elfstone wrote:
I'm...not sure. It seems to have all the text entries, but there are some CR characters that Notepad doesn't process properly while Wordpad (on Windows) does. I'm not sure whether this has any impact on DROD's INI parser. Maybe a non-Windows dev could confirm this one way or another for me.

? :~(

11-16-2006 at 07:35 PM
mrimer
icon Re: Groan!! - deaf again!! (+2)  
In any event, we may finally try what I was originally planning without risk of anything breaking. Open a terminal and enter the following command

cp /Users/Auntylil/DROD/DROD.app/Contents/Resources/Data/drod.ini /Users/Auntylil/.caravel/drod-2_0

to copy the original drod.ini over the current version that your installation of JtRH is using. Going back to this original version won't hurt anything in the game, and it may fix the problem. Please let me know whether it works.

11-16-2006 at 07:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
mrimer wrote:
In any event, we may finally try what I was originally planning without risk of anything breaking. Open a terminal and enter the following command

cp /Users/Auntylil/DROD/DROD.app/Contents/Resources/Data/drod.ini /Users/Auntylil/.caravel/drod-2_0

to copy the original drod.ini over the current version that your installation of JtRH is using. Going back to this original version won't hurt anything in the game, and it may fix the problem. Please let me know whether it works.

Bingo!!!! I have sound back! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Mike you're my hero! ;)

You don't really need mod points but you deserve them so I'm going to give a couple anyway

Elf.

11-16-2006 at 08:01 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
mrimer wrote:
No, Notepad only has a problem with that because the line-ending characters are missing the \r. DROD's ini parser doesn't care about this in Linux and Mac OS X. At least it doesn't in Linux, not 100% sure about Mac.. In any case, I don't see how DROD would write ini files it's not able to read on the same platform.

~ Gerry
11-16-2006 at 08:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
I agree that I can't see how it shouldn't be able to read it, but I think that it quite possibly is the problem. It seems the general format of Elfstones version is: carriage return and line feed at the end of every line, but only a line feed for the extra 'blank' lines. There's one inconsistency: after the 'startup' section, there is no carriage return at all, so the 'waves' section is continuing on the same line.
I don't know a thing about how its parsing it; but if in fact it is looking for \r\n, the extra '\n's may not hurt it, but the missing '\r' may well do. Should be easy enough to add that after the startup section.
11-16-2006 at 08:47 PM
mrimer
TripleM wrote:
I agree that I can't see how it shouldn't be able to read it, but I think that it quite possibly is the problem. It seems the general format of Elfstones version is: carriage return and line feed at the end of every line, but only a line feed for the extra 'blank' lines. There's one inconsistency: after the 'startup' section, there is no carriage return at all, so the 'waves' section is continuing on the same line.
I don't know a thing about how its parsing it; but if in fact it is looking for \r\n, the extra '\n's may not hurt it, but the missing '\r' may well do. Should be easy enough to add that after the startup section.
Gerry, I way be wrong, but don't the Linux and Mac builds use the same text parsing format? If so, would you see why the drod.ini that Elfstone posted above doesn't parse that Startup to Sounds section transition properly on Linux/Mac? Maybe the code writing the INI info back to disk has a possible bug involving CR/LFs? Maybe the input parsing could be made more robust.

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-16-2006 10:32 PM]
11-16-2006 at 10:27 PM
mrimer
Elfstone wrote:
Excellent! Now we have your drod.ini file as test data to help us make the DROD code more robust so this problem won't happen again. (Pleave leave it attached to your above post forever so we always have it handy for reference.) Until this is fixed, if you ever lose sound again, I think the above command should always work to fix your current DROD installation.

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-16-2006 10:32 PM]
11-16-2006 at 10:30 PM
Elfstone
mrimer wrote:
Elfstone wrote:
Excellent! Now we have your drod.ini file as test data to help us make the DROD code more robust so this problem won't happen again. (Pleave leave it attached to your above post forever so we always have it handy for reference.) Until this is fixed, if you ever lose sound again, I think the above command should always work to fix your current DROD installation.

My very grateful thanks for all your efforts mike!

Does your conversation with trick and TripleM mean that this is a glitch in the mac version of the software, rather than something daft which I did to cause this? Is it safe to assume that the 2.15(?) version, when it becomes available for mac, will sort this problem?

Elf

11-16-2006 at 10:36 PM
BeefontheBone
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 184
Strange that it's only affected you (or only been reported by you) but I guess there aren't a huge number of Mac players about. I'd say it's definitely not your personal fault, and having discovered the problem the bughunting ought to be doable - timescales for bughunting are generally tricky, though, can be five minutes or several days to fix something like this. Still, at least it's easy to fix it if it crops up again :)

11-16-2006 at 11:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
mrimer wrote:
Gerry, I way be wrong, but don't the Linux and Mac builds use the same text parsing format?
Well, I thought they did, but ..
If so, would you see why the drod.ini that Elfstone posted above doesn't parse that Startup to Sounds section transition properly on Linux/Mac?
Sorry, but I can't. In fact, I tried using Elfstone's drod.ini as-is with my 2.0 Linux JtRH install, and it parsed it fine. Got sounds and everything -_-. Do you get the error on your Mac install with that ini ?
Maybe the code writing the INI info back to disk has a possible bug involving CR/LFs? Maybe the input parsing could be made more robust.
Perhaps, but DROD should still be able to read that file (I did find (and fix) a potential buffer overflow in the read code, but that shouldn't affect this at all). I noticed that 3.0 seems to have more robust ini code, though. Maybe it should get backported ?

~ Gerry
11-16-2006 at 11:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 865
Edit: Post collision made the potentially useful info here unnecessary, but I'll leave this up for the wild speculation part.

This does seem strange. The drod.ini I've been using in my Linux installation looks very much like the one that wasn't working for Elfstone. If I swap in what she posted, my DROD still has sound effects.

For Linux, this makes sense. As far as I can see, IniFile.cpp always handles the file in text mode. The imported file came with Windows-style 0xd 0xa newlines. Since the Linux newline is 0xa, there was just a char(0xd) at the end of the values which have never been changed, but apparently that gets stripped off as white space and DROD doesn't care about it.

My Google research suggests that OS X uses 0xa newlines, although 0xd alone was the Mac newline before that. Which explains why Elfstone's old drod.ini file has removed the 0xd from some lines, just like my Linux install. But I have no idea why this file wouldn't be loaded right, much less why it would work on Linux but not OS X. Unless maybe readline or some other standard library function is wrongly trying to use the old 0xd? Seems unlikely.

[Last edited by schep at 11-17-2006 12:17 AM]
11-17-2006 at 12:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
I think whats really required is someone else with a Mac installation who can test whether that ini file is really the problem or not..
11-17-2006 at 12:52 AM
Svante
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 169
I tested your ini file on my Mac installation and the sound seemed to work fine (so far). I'm going to use it for a while, just in case it decides to go bad later.

-Svantesting
11-17-2006 at 03:39 PM
mrimer
Oh...remember that newer versions of DROD repair lost entires in the INI. It may just be that newer versions of DROD don't have this problem because the INI is repaired on startup, even if the file is, in fact, bad. So I'd like you guys to check -- after your use Elf's drod.ini and verify that it works fine, then exit the game, would you check has the endline formatting on the file changed from its original state?

11-18-2006 at 12:19 AM
schep
Rank Points: 865
My report was from Linux DROD 2.0.14. It did not remove any 0xd characters. The only difference I found is that it added AutoLogin=0 and FullScoreUpload=0 lines.
11-18-2006 at 12:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
I'm not really understanding the conversation above, :~( but I wonder if it is significant that my version of DROD is 2.0.11?

Elf.

11-18-2006 at 02:10 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Elfstone wrote:
I'm not really understanding the conversation above, :~( but I wonder if it is significant that my version of DROD is 2.0.11?
Unless I'm wrong (which has happened, incidentally) the automagical DROD.ini repair feature was implemented *after* the release of 2.0.11, so it might be quite significant...

The last version for the Mac on the downloads page (near the bottom) is 2.0.13, so maybe installing this version would have done the trick as well? (Someone shootcorrect me if I'm wrong...)

np: Move D - 77 Sunset Strip (Kunststoff)

[Last edited by Briareos at 11-18-2006 05:03 PM]
11-18-2006 at 05:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
You can get 2.0.15 here but it isn't in it's final form. It works fine though. I am using that.

[Last edited by Jason at 11-18-2006 05:11 PM]
11-18-2006 at 05:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Thanks to Briareos and Jason.

Unfortunately both of those are lots of megabytes. I don't have broadband so downloading those is not an option.
I have made enquiries about getting broadband, but it seems there may be a problem with the phone line here; I should know for sure later in the week. Living in the country is lovely, but it does occasionally have its down side.

Elfstone.

11-18-2006 at 06:51 PM
Briareos
Elfstone wrote:
Living in the country is lovely, but it does occasionally have its down side.
Yes, your pics of what happens when it rains too much where you live were quite impressive... :?

(Then again, there's also some buildings close to the Danube here that are hit every time the Danube rises too much; but somehow the people living there seem to be surprised again every time...)

Now if only someone could do a 2.0.13 -> 2.0.15 patch for the Mac - that would use a lot less bandwidth...

np: Move D - Sandmann (Kunststoff)

11-18-2006 at 07:25 PM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
Briareos wrote:
Now if only someone could do a 2.0.13 -> 2.0.15 patch for the Mac - that would use a lot less bandwidth...
Wouldn't it be possible to just post the binaries and replace the old ones (I can't remember there being any significant changes that would make this impossible without breaking stuff). That should cut down the size to at most 2MB.

11-18-2006 at 07:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Stefan wrote:
Wouldn't it be possible to just post the binaries and replace the old ones (I can't remember there being any significant changes that would make this impossible without breaking stuff). That should cut down the size to at most 2MB.

2MB would be managable, if slow, with my present dial up system (if someone would explain to me what to do with "binaries" once I'd downloaded them).

Elf.

11-19-2006 at 10:16 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Elfstone wrote:
2MB would be managable, if slow, with my present dial up system (if someone would explain to me what to do with "binaries" once I'd downloaded them).

Elf.
The binaries are basically the files you end up with after installing the whole lot. The theory here is that most files won't have changed so only replacing those that have *should* work (unless the installation changes settings in the system itself - which I don't think it does).

Anyways, if someone knows which files to post I'll gladly help you replace them (now that you're a pro with the Terminal ;)).
11-19-2006 at 11:40 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
If I'm guessing correctly, basically your run-of-the-mill patch, click it and it installs. :)

Arrg, I ought to try and avoid these post collisions, I keep making a fool of myself. Not that its very hard to do.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 11-19-2006 11:43 AM]
11-19-2006 at 11:40 AM
Briareos
NiroZ wrote:
If I'm guessing correctly, basically your run-of-the-mill patch, click it and it installs. :)
More like "your run-of-the-mill ZIP/HQX/.tar.bz2 archive whichs contents you slam into the DROD installation directory, overwriting existing files"...

np: Underworld - Bruce Lee (The Micronauts Remix) (Bruce Lee)

11-19-2006 at 12:04 PM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
Syntax wrote:
The binaries are basically the files you end up with after installing the whole lot. The theory here is that most files won't have changed so only replacing those that have *should* work (unless the installation changes settings in the system itself - which I don't think it does).
I was mainly referring to the executables (and accidentally said binaries), but yeah, you got the idea.
Anyways, if someone knows which files to post I'll gladly help you replace them (now that you're a pro with the Terminal ;)).
The main executable should be enough, but it's pretty hard to get a hold of (pun intentional), since Apple seems to be very unfriendly to people who don't have Macs.

I any case, this kind of operation could potentially (in the worst case scenario) be disastrous to your saved games, so it should not be attempted without proper backups.

11-19-2006 at 12:09 PM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Groan!! - deaf again!! ((but I will be extra careful this time))
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com