Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Who else is waiting for uploads to be fixed? (Perhaps 50 new holds all on one day is a bad idea . . .)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
IP: Logged
icon Who else is waiting for uploads to be fixed? (0)  
I made my very first hold a while ago, and have been waiting to upload it. Then I realized that I couldn't be the only person waiting. I'm just kind of wondering how many other holds will jump on when it's fixed.

Naturally, I would like people to see my hold. And I'm sure everyone else who's uploading wants thier holds to be seen, too. And your hold is unlikely to be seen when there are 40 other holds worth seeing.

So I want to know if, once it's fixed, I should wait longer and let the storm calm down. :-O

11-08-2006 at 09:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3624
icon Re: Who else is waiting for uploads to be fixed? (0)  
Or you could post it on the Architecture Board, so that people can see it and see if anything's wrong with it before people play it for real.

I'm sure it's a real good hold, but the masses don't know that before they download and play it. And it'd be awful to have your hold have a real bad bug in it once it's released, right?

[Last edited by Chaco at 11-08-2006 09:32 PM]
11-08-2006 at 09:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
I doubt that there will be 40 holds, but that would take some serious smiting to master all of them.
11-08-2006 at 09:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Who else is waiting for uploads to be fixed? (+1)  
They won't appear all at once, but will be submitted for content reviewing. That is, seeing if it's been tested properly (this is your first post here, so you should probably head to the Architecture and post the hold there for testing before it's ready for uploading.), and making sure that there's no inappropriate contest. (Profanity, copyrighted media, etc.)

This is actually one of the main reasons hold uploading *is* offline. Too many holds that were not completable were being uploaded directly, so the system was changed.

Holds uploaded through the CaravelNet beta boards are already getting through. Others will have to wait a bit longer.
11-08-2006 at 09:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
Once the new system is fully functional, you will have to post it to Architecture or a private beta board first. So yeah, it would definitely make sense to do that now.

Look here for a basic overview of the new hold uploading process. The Hold Administrators shouldn't be counted on to do your testing for you - while they will tell you when there are problems with your hold, in a perfect world some of them would have already played through it or at least read comments by other trusted testers by the time you submit it and then they would just say "Yep, it's ready."

11-08-2006 at 09:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
Doom wrote:

Holds uploaded through the CaravelNet beta boards are already getting through. Others will have to wait a bit longer.

I'm new here . . . what exactly is CaravelNet beta?

11-08-2006 at 09:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Doom wrote:
They won't appear all at once, but will be submitted for content reviewing. That is, seeing if it's been tested properly (this is your first post here, so you should probably head to the Architecture and post the hold there for testing before it's ready for uploading.), and making sure that there's no inappropriate contest. (Profanity, copyrighted media, etc.)

This is actually one of the main reasons hold uploading *is* offline. Too many holds that were not completable were being uploaded directly, so the system was changed.

Which means, of course, that the fastest way to get your hold on the Holds board at this point is to create a Beta board for it. This is only possible if you're a CaravelNet subscriber, of course -- nonsubscribers will need to wait until the regular submission mechanism is in place.

[Insert shameless plug for CaravelNet membership here. Wait...can it still be a shameless plug if I don't personally benefit? Let's find out.]

Even if you're not a subscriber, though, it's a good idea to have your hold tested by others, either privately or on the Architecture board. Even the most experienced designers benefit from a second (or third or fourth) pair of eyes.

(By the way, two holds have made their way through the submission mechanism thus far. There aren't any pending other than that, so I wouldn't worry about the Holds board (or the Hold Admins) being swamped by the onslaught of new holds.)

11-08-2006 at 09:44 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Kwakstur wrote:
Doom wrote:

I'm new here . . . what exactly is CaravelNet beta?

One of the features of CaravelNet membership is the ability to create private boards on the Forum in order to test new holds. So, if you create a hold and would rather have it tested by a few select people instead of throwing it out onto the Architecture board, you can create a beta board and invite people to participate.

Josh

11-08-2006 at 09:47 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
If you have a caravelnet subscription, you can set-up a private test for your hold, which allows you to specify a list of people who can download your hold, and gives you a private message board to discuss it on.

You need a paid caravelnet subscription for this, the free trial that comes with buying JtRH/KDD 2.0 doesn't give you this functionality.

Edit: Post bump. Oh well.

[Last edited by eytanz at 11-08-2006 10:11 PM]
11-08-2006 at 10:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I'd recommend getting Caravel anyway for all the additional features it provide in game, online and just in general... excellent value.
11-08-2006 at 10:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Who else is waiting for uploads to be fixed? (Perhaps 50 new holds all on one day is a bad idea . . .)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com