Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Testers needed for Linux! (Brand spanking new 2.0.15 beta)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
IP: Logged

File: DRODJtRHDemoSetup-2.0.15-beta.run (30.6 MB)
Downloaded 46 times.
License: All Rights Reserved
icon Testers needed for Linux! (+3)  
Greetings, penguins! Attached to this post you will find the latest and greatest the Eighth has to offer for flightless birds everywhere:

JtRH 2.0.15! (beta)

This might be just a minor revision number change, but there's been major changes behind the scenes. The system I used for building 2.0.14 and earlier is forever gone, with a new and shinier one taking its place! For example, gcc 3 was used for 2.0.14, but 2.0.15 is built with gcc 4. Libraries have also been updated, and I'm also trying out switching back to FMOD for this release, since there's been a few problems with SDL_mixer.

For these reasons, just flinging the final Linux version of 2.0.15 out there without a care in the world would be a bit, well, careless. It needs testing, and this is where you come in! Please download and install the attached file, play the game, and let me know what system you have and what happens. Even if it works!

Note: The attached file is the 2.0.15 DEMO. If you've already got the demo version of JtRH installed, please make a backup before installing this, as it will default to overwriting the old installation. If you've got your dat files in ~/.caravel/drod-2_0-demo, you won't lose any progress even if you do overwrite. Users of the full version shouldn't have any problems since the demo and full versions use different identifiers and directories, but a backup doesn't hurt in any case.

(If you've got a browser that likes displaying huge scripts as text in stead of downloading them, right-click the link and save)

~ Gerry

[Last edited by trick at 10-23-2006 01:33 PM]
10-23-2006 at 12:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Alneyan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 622
icon Re: Testers needed for Linux! (+1)  
trick wrote:
(If you've got a browser that likes displaying huge scripts as text in stead of downloading them, right-click the link and save)

wget all the way!

Okay, out of the swirl: nothing major to report, but I haven't checked out sound (I don't have any sound output on my box at present, for lack of working headphones or the like).

Some of the minor functions of the installer didn't really work on my box; the menu to be created was somewhere in .wine, which doesn't seem to make sense. The one menu I use is the Debian one through Sawfish, so I wouldn't know *where* the Drod installer is supposed to create its shortcuts.

The installer also wanted to run ~/drod-jtrh-demo, but that's a folder; ~/drod-jtrh-demo/drod-jtrh-demo would be the one. I used the default path for the Drod madness.
10-23-2006 at 06:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
icon Re: Testers needed for Linux! (0)  
Alneyan wrote:
Okay, out of the swirl: nothing major to report, but I haven't checked out sound (I don't have any sound output on my box at present, for lack of working headphones or the like).
Yay! Just so I know what this has been confirmed to work on, what distro is this ? And kernel version ?
Some of the minor functions of the installer didn't really work on my box; the menu to be created was somewhere in .wine, which doesn't seem to make sense. The one menu I use is the Debian one through Sawfish, so I wouldn't know *where* the Drod installer is supposed to create its shortcuts.
DROD has nothing to do with Wine, so yeah, that's really strange. When you say menu, you mean the .desktop file, right ? I have no idea why that would end up anywhere other than the Gnome/KDE menu directories, but the way Loki Setup (the installer) handles menu entries always was a bit strange and is outdated by now anyway. What it should do is just conform to the freedesktop.org menu specifications.
The installer also wanted to run ~/drod-jtrh-demo, but that's a folder; ~/drod-jtrh-demo/drod-jtrh-demo would be the one. I used the default path for the Drod madness.
Yeah, this is a known bug in the installer. Both the directory and the symlink (if you install one) have the same name, so if both the directory and symlink is placed in ~, only the directory will be created. However, Loki Setup will think the symlink was installed and attempt to run it.

There's a lot of other problems with the installer, too. Loki Setup is really starting to show its age. Unfortunately it'd probably be easier to just make a new installer from scratch than to try to patch it up.. Anyway, something needs to be done about this, but not for 2.0.15.

~ Gerry

10-23-2006 at 06:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
trick wrote:
Yay! Just so I know what this has been confirmed to work on, what distro is this ? And kernel version ?

Don't you dare say the "swirl" part was not explicit enough. Debian Unstable, "Linux elyseum 2.6.17-2-k7 #1 SMP Fri Aug 11 20:51:38 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux".

I don't know how menus are supposed to handle, since I hardly use them. I do have some bloody slices of Gnome and KDE lying around, though, but not the whole unified environment thing. The actual messages from Loki are:

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
loki_setup: Can't create /home/alneyan/drod-jtrh-demo: File exists
In file "/home/alneyan/.menu/wine", at (or in the definition that ends at) line 22:
[...]dain's Legacy\\\\Support\\\\EAsyInfo.exe' "uo.exe"" icon="/home/alneyan/.menu/icons/EAsy Info.xpm"
[...] ^
Expected: "="
Skipping file because of errors...
sh: /home/alneyan/drod-jtrh-demo: is a directory

Not that those issues are particularly important, of course. I ran the installer in Eshell, GNU Emacs 21.4.1 by the way. What Loki seeks in my ancient wine folders is beyond my understanding... might just be an odd link lying around, though.
10-23-2006 at 07:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Ah, the good ol' days of Linux. I miss those days.

Oh, to heck with it. Give me a couple of days and I'll have Kubuntu on my computer.

10-23-2006 at 10:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Alneyan wrote:
Don't you dare say the "swirl" part was not explicit enough. Debian Unstable, "Linux elyseum 2.6.17-2-k7 #1 SMP Fri Aug 11 20:51:38 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux".
Well, er, the swirl part completely slipped my mind. In my defense, I claim temporary insanity due to sleep deprivation.

Still, nice to know the exact version! Thanks! :)
[...]
Not that those issues are particularly important, of course. I ran the installer in Eshell, GNU Emacs 21.4.1 by the way. What Loki seeks in my ancient wine folders is beyond my understanding... might just be an odd link lying around, though.
Well, if I were to guess, I'd say it looks like Loki Setup is parsing your menu files for some reason. The only reason Wine comes into the picture is because there's a parse error in ~/.menu/wine. Extra quote there. As for why it parses the menu files in the first place, I guess it has to do with legacy menu support.
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Ah, the good ol' days of Linux. I miss those days.

Oh, to heck with it. Give me a couple of days and I'll have Kubuntu on my computer.
Yeah! That's the spirit! :)

~ Gerry
10-24-2006 at 05:46 PM
gamer_extreme_101
For some unknown reason, Kubuntu hates me.

Well, it doesn't hate me per say, but it certainly hates my video card. Nevertheless, I now have a working copy of Gentoo on my system again, which is the next best thing. All I need is to emerge a desktop environment and take a day of fiddling to get all my problems sorted out, and I'll get some reports for you, trick.

10-29-2006 at 04:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Is your video card ATI? Cause I had to do some fiddling to get my ATI card to work.
10-29-2006 at 05:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
For the sake of trying to keep this topic remotely on topic, I'm going to post my dilemma in the official Linux topic.

10-29-2006 at 08:07 PM
gamer_extreme_101
She's a running fine on my computer. Sounds are playing as they do on Windows, and I haven't noticed any decrease in speed or anything. All I need to do now is wait for the full 2.0.15 patch to come out, and I'll be set!

11-01-2006 at 11:42 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I'll be installing Ubuntu as soon as I back up Windows, and my CD drive starts working.

But I promise to test this out for you.

[Last edited by coppro at 11-02-2006 12:40 AM]
11-02-2006 at 12:40 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
GAAAH! I apologize for seeming ranty, but I just rebooted the computer that the Knoppix iso file was on! I'm now really annoyed!

GAAH!

Oh, and in case you're wondering why I need Knoppix, it's for A) fun and B) a way to resize my partition in case Ubuntu doesn't have one (does it?)
11-02-2006 at 04:07 AM
coppro
Hey Penguins! I'm calling from a CD-boot Ubuntu on my other computer - guess I'm going to have to wait for the warranty replacement CD drive on my laptop. Anyway, I'm downloading this patch for the fun of it, so let's see what happens.

Also, I'm going to try and compile DROD under Linux, see if that helps.
11-02-2006 at 04:36 AM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
Seems to be working fine (on a i686 2.6.17-gentoo-r8), although I sort of remember Beethro's voice having a lower pitch (the pitch of the voice in the settings screen (played when clicking the voice-checkbox) is slightly different from the in-game one). However, it's been quite a while since I played JtRH without the nosound switch, so I could be remembering wrong. If I'm not, I liked the old voice pitch (the lower one) better.

Playing the 2.0.14.1 version of JtRH gives the same pitch, so I'm probably just remembering it wrong.

11-02-2006 at 04:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Whoops...I probably should have mentioned that I'm on the AMD64 version of the 2.6.17-gentoo-r8 kernel, and all worked well for me.

11-02-2006 at 08:41 PM
coppro
02-21-2007 at 12:03 AM
trick
coppro wrote:
Apparently, http://www.caravelgames.com/distfiles/loki/drod-jtrh-demo/update.txt does not exist. Should it?
No. That url's just there in the install xml to tease you.

Nah, actually, it was put there in case of the possibility that we got an automated loki-update system going, so you could just launch the updater (as someone with permissions to change the installed files), and it'd download and apply the latest patches for you. It's kinda low priority though, specially since loki update has a number of issues, not least of which is its ceasing to exist some time ago. Oh well, maybe some time in the future.

Anyway, I expect you bring this up because you'd like the 2.0.15 patch for Linux ? No worries, it's coming soon!

~ Gerry

02-21-2007 at 05:00 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Bar bar bar, Kubuntu 6.10, seems to be working fine, yada yada yada, I want my delicious styles patch for real thing kthx :(
02-23-2007 at 10:42 PM
trick
Ping!

Thanks, everyone :)

~ Gerry

[Last edited by trick at 02-27-2007 12:04 PM]
02-27-2007 at 12:03 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Testers needed for Linux! (Brand spanking new 2.0.15 beta)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com