Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Meeces, and problems the little blighters cause.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
IP: Logged
icon Meeces, and problems the little blighters cause. (0)  
I'm looking for a new mouse because I'm fed up of buying ones that have lag when the mouse hasn't been moved for a few seconds. I've had a number of wireless optical mice which have all exhibited the same problem, which of course is caused by the mouse saving power. Would a corded optical mouse be better in this respect, as I assume power is taken from the PC? The only wireless one that worked OK for me was a Microsoft mouse, but the shape was so odd that I couldn't pick it up without it slipping out of my fingers, so it ended up stuck to the wall.

I notice some so called gaming grade mice are corded and I wonder if this is the reason.

Comments or recommendations welcome.
10-09-2006 at 07:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: Meeces, and problems the little blighters cause. (0)  
I don't entirely know what games you're playing that you require a wireless mouse.

Corded mice never lag.
10-09-2006 at 08:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drgamer
Rank Points: 113
I use a Microsoft Wireless mouse

It's one of those that allows you to scroll horizontally with the scroll button....
It's also got two thumb buttons on the side.
Real comfortable too :thumbsup

*checks to see the name*

"Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 2.0"
10-09-2006 at 10:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
Banjooie wrote:
I don't entirely know what games you're playing that you require a wireless mouse.

Corded mice never lag.
Umm, I don't recall saying I was playing any games. (Checks original post...) Nope, I never said that. In fact, the only game I ever play is DROD.

Actually, I have an optical mouse here that can be either wireless or corded, but it still needs a battery when the cord is connected, which sort of defeats the object. And it still lags badly even when the cord is connected.

Drgamer wrote: "Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 2.0"
That's the one I used to have and it worked well, but I couldn't get on with the shape of it. At one point I had a strip of velcro stuck to each side to stop it slipping out of my hand. One day it slipped out of my hand once too often and it was no more.
10-09-2006 at 11:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
bandit1200 wrote:
Drgamer wrote: "Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 2.0"
That's the one I used to have and it worked well, but I couldn't get on with the shape of it. At one point I had a strip of velcro stuck to each side to stop it slipping out of my hand. One day it slipped out of my hand once too often and it was no more.
Yuck. I once got one of those Intellimouse Explorers as a present... let's just say a brick makes a better, more hand-friendly mouse than this.

On the other hand, I've been using this Microsoft mouse for ages, and never had a problem with it.

Also - I wonder if the geniuseses that invented wireless mice ever had to search for it on a desk where all sorts of stuff have piled up over several months. I bet they didn't... :lol

np: Yello - Swing (Yello 1980-1985: The New Mix In One Go)

10-09-2006 at 11:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
Briareos wrote:On the other hand, I've been using this Microsoft mouse for ages, and never had a problem with it.
That's the one I was looking at today, and it's cheap enough, so I might go for that one.
10-10-2006 at 12:01 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
The only wireless thing I use is my Wavebird.

Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer the cords, as hard as it is to setup the computer so the ergonomics are flexible and tasycaskes and all that. Wireless devices have one more place for things to fail that I don't need.

[Last edited by Mattcrampy at 10-10-2006 04:57 AM]
10-10-2006 at 04:57 AM
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
Mattcrampy wrote:
Wireless devices have one more place for things to fail that I don't need.

Ironically, I'd say the same thing about wired mice. I've lost a number of mice to the wiring going all funny.

10-10-2006 at 06:53 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Beef Row wrote:
Mattcrampy wrote:
Wireless devices have one more place for things to fail that I don't need.

Ironically, I'd say the same thing about wired mice. I've lost a number of mice to the wiring going all funny.
I guess it really depends on your setup/habits.
10-10-2006 at 07:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Beef Row wrote:
You wouldn't happen to chew on your mouse cable while you're concentrating on solving a hold?

That would explain some things... ;)

10-10-2006 at 08:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
My last several mice have been these. Same as the one Briareos linked to, but with left and right side buttons. Bind them to Shift and Ctrl and you need to do a lot less keyboarding in Explorer and your web browser.
10-10-2006 at 10:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Briareos
Tuttle wrote:
My last several mice have been these. Same as the one Briareos linked to, but with left and right side buttons. Bind them to Shift and Ctrl and you need to do a lot less keyboarding in Explorer and your web browser.
Well, to be honest - I hate those side buttons with a passion, as I always accidentally hit them.

As for going back and forth in Firefox, that's what the rocker gestures in Optimoz are there for - hold right button and click left for back and hold left, click right for forward; works just as good and needs no extra buttons... :)

10-10-2006 at 11:37 AM
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
Oh, back and forward are evil bindings. :) Shift and Ctrl generally have fewer side effects. They do useful things though; Shift-drag is move and Ctrl-drag is copy in Explorer, and Ctrl-Shift-click opens a link in a new tab in Firefox.

There's also this model with smaller side buttons, but they're too hard to reach for me.

[Last edited by Tuttle at 10-10-2006 12:18 PM]
10-10-2006 at 12:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Oh man, I can't live without my side buttons! I have them set to Copy and Paste.

10-10-2006 at 01:46 PM
Briareos
icon Re: Meeces, and problems the little blighters cause. (+1)  
Tuttle wrote:
Ctrl-Shift-click opens a link in a new tab in Firefox.
Ummm... have you tried clicking on a link with the middle mouse button yet? ;)

10-10-2006 at 04:36 PM
Briareos
Mattcrampy wrote:
Oh man, I can't live without my side buttons! I have them set to Copy and Paste.
Yeah, you really can't beat accidentally wreaking havoc by pasting a long block of text into a shell or ssh window... :D

10-10-2006 at 04:38 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Actually, Ctrl-click opens a new tab, as does middle-click. Shift-Ctrl-click opens it in the foreground (so it opens the tab then selects it). Shift-middle-click opens a new window, as does shift-click. Ctrl-Shift-middle-click opens a new tab in the foreground, and the Alt key I only ever use for Flashgot (an extension)
10-10-2006 at 05:58 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
I tried to use a wireless optical mouse for a while, thinking it's cool and more comfortable to use than a corded mouse. After a few months, though, I got tired of replacing batteries (fairly often for me, since I'm swinging that mouse around all day :P) and other issues like you mention. Then I got a corded optical mouse (that doesn't require batteries), and I've got no problems with it.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-11-2006 at 09:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Meeces, and problems the little blighters cause.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com