Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Highscores #1 history (Beta over. We'll call this *done*.)
Page 2 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dolan42
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 195
IP: Logged
icon Re: Highscores #1 history (0)  
Well, there goes the usefulness of my project. ;) Great feature. One suggestion, it probably shouldn't list scores that have beaten by the player.
Hmm, it doesn't seem to be doing it with my new scores, must have already been fixed. Anyway, while looking at that I noticed the level links don't seem to function.

[edit]3 minutes later and they work, must have been my ISP

[edit again]Well, the original problem of listing me beating myself is back, but it doesn't seem to do it every time. I beat a room(that michthro had, go me :)) twice in like 3 minutes improving my score by 1 and no problem. Then I came back about 15 minutes later, improved my score by 1 again and now it lists me beating myself.

[Last edited by Dolan42 at 09-27-2006 08:13 AM]
09-27-2006 at 08:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Alneyan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 622
Schik wrote:
Go to http://forum.caravelgames.com/highscores.php?action=num1s and you'll see.

Awesome. That'll help me remember my grudges, since I forgot I *held* those #1 scores in the first place. That Schik guy is definitively among the ones who did the most damage to my scores.

Is there any good reason for the use of JavaScript when moving from one page to the other? The initial page does not use any JavaScript , and all JavaScript does here is rewrite an URL. Rewriting the URL by hand works just as well, provided that you don't mix up Lambdas and Aces.

That's somewhat annoying on a browser without JavaScript support... though I guess I could always convert the links automatically, since there is no real use for the scripting (unlike moderation). Even on my JavaScript powered browser, it doesn't work quite as well as a vanilla URL.
09-27-2006 at 08:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Schik wrote:
Yay, more #1 goodness. You can now see all of your Used-to-be-#1 Scores. Go to http://forum.caravelgames.com/highscores.php?action=num1s and you'll see.
w00t! :)

I'm planning on adding more to that tab, like a list of rooms that have had the most #1 changes, and maybe the users with the most #1 grabs. I'm open to suggestions for more things to do with this tab.
Would it be possible to make it either sortable by hold and level, or to add the ability of limiting it to a single hold?

(Not that I have had that many #1 scores, but for some people that list must be endless... :))

09-27-2006 at 09:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
Hmmm, I don't know whether to be proud of the fact that I used to have so many number ones, or annoyed about losing 127 of them!!
I really must have a go at optimising sometime.
09-27-2006 at 09:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
Briareos wrote:
(Not that I have had that many #1 scores, but for some people that list must be endless... :))
Urgh.. I hate this list. You guys have been busy, eh? But seriously, thanks again to Schik for another great feature.

It would really help if it didn't show scores for which I do have the #1, though. Sortability would also be very useful.
09-27-2006 at 09:53 AM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
Dolan42 wrote:
One suggestion, it probably shouldn't list scores that have beaten by the player.
True. I'll fix that in my next revision.
Alneyan wrote:
Is there any good reason for the use of JavaScript when moving from one page to the other? The initial page does not use any JavaScript , and all JavaScript does here is rewrite an URL. Rewriting the URL by hand works just as well, provided that you don't mix up Lambdas and Aces.
It does more than just rewrite a URL... it does a partial reload of the page. I did this so that when I add more tables to this page, changing pages on one table doesn't force the server to re-create the other tables. For an illustration of why this is a good thing, look at the Miscellaneous tab on the highscores page. It doesn't do this (yet...?), and it's horribly slow to change pages on any table.
That's somewhat annoying on a browser without JavaScript support... though I guess I could always convert the links automatically, since there is no real use for the scripting (unlike moderation). Even on my JavaScript powered browser, it doesn't work quite as well as a vanilla URL.
This entire forum would be annoying on a browser without JavaScript support. Hey, are there browsers without JS support? And how does this not work as well as a vanilla URL? As I mentioned above, once there's more stuff on the page, it will be faster than a full-page refresh.
Briareos wrote:
Would it be possible to make it either sortable by hold and level, or to add the ability of limiting it to a single hold?
Hmmm. Yeah, sorting by different things is easy, I'll add that for the next revision as well. I'll think about filtering by hold, it's not a bad idea.

09-27-2006 at 12:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302

File: page with no script.PNG (1.7 KB)
Downloaded 34 times.
License: Public Domain
Schik wrote:That's somewhat annoying on a browser without JavaScript support... though I guess I could always convert the links automatically, since there is no real use for the scripting (unlike moderation). Even on my JavaScript powered browser, it doesn't work quite as well as a vanilla URL.
This entire forum would be annoying on a browser without JavaScript support. Hey, are there browsers without JS support? And how does this not work as well as a vanilla URL? As I mentioned above, once there's more stuff on the page, it will be faster than a full-page refresh. Well I like to have the No-Script Firefox extension running, and when I blocked caravelnet, i got
<This

Thus, i suggest you make a Javascript not detected page.

Also, with the my ex no.1 highscores. You should do something about when you beat yourself, as atm, I have a score which I improved on, and it shows it in that tab.
09-27-2006 at 01:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Schik wrote:
For an illustration of why this is a good thing, look at the Miscellaneous tab on the highscores page. It doesn't do this (yet...?), and it's horribly slow to change pages on any table.

I see. Yeah, even the fastest browsers in my armada are slower when dealing with those pages. In my case, the bottleneck is the bandwidth provided by the server, though; very little time is spending doing the actual rendering. Of course, server resources are likely more important than user (im)patience overall.

My reference point for speedy browsers is more or less "able to render any reasonable page in an heartbeat" and "handles files several mB big with ease". ELinks and Dillo are my favourite ones in that department.

This entire forum would be annoying on a browser without JavaScript support.

I'd disagree here. I only encounter mild annoyance on the forum, and I've been running without JavaScript for a few months. The most common problem I have is moderation; everything else works alright. In any case, I'm a good deal more annoyed by PHPBB forums (that don't use JavaScript) than your CaravelNet forum with JavaScript.

Hey, are there browsers without JS support?

There are some. I don't know any light browser with JavaScript support, actually. Lynx, Links and derivatives, w3m or Dillo don't have any JavaScript. ELinks does have *some* JavaScript support, but I haven't seen anything except pop-ups working there yet (the first one being, "your browser sucks. Perhaps it's time to do an upgrade?").

The figure I've read about non-JavaScript support is around 10%, pretty much stable over the years. That includes users that *choose* not to use JavaScript for specific websites, so the actual "cannot use JavaScript" figure is a bit lower. Of course, those figures are about as inaccurate as any other.

And how does this not work as well as a vanilla URL?

My heavy browser (namely Firefox, now that Galeon just cannot compete) felt slower with the JavaScript request, though I'm probably biased. Firefox always feels slow with me, so. A more objective annoyance is that the URL displayed does not get updated following a JavaScript request.

Pretty much unimportant things, in other words, especially compared to the added traffic with full redisplays. That, and I'll pick JavaScript that can be worked around over mandatory Flash plug-ins any day of the week.

NiroZ wrote:
Thus, i suggest you make a Javascript not detected page.

Erh, I'm not sure it would be that useful. It should be obvious that JavaScript is used, so you can simply choose to accept that JavaScript. I don't think there are a lot of people without straight JavaScript support here, and that problem can simply be solved by running another browser. Now, if there are some users who *cannot* use a JavaScript browser (remote access and the like), a non-Javascript page could be handy and convenient... but I doubt it's really the case.

[Last edited by Alneyan at 09-27-2006 01:59 PM]
09-27-2006 at 01:52 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708

File: errors.PNG (131.4 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
This is really cool. I do, however, get a whole bunch of errors when I switch to the last page of this. Screenshot (which only depicts the subset of errors that fits on-screen) attached.

[Last edited by eytanz at 09-27-2006 02:01 PM]
09-27-2006 at 02:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
icon Re: Highscores #1 history (+1)  
eytanz wrote:
This is really cool. I do, however, get a whole bunch of errors when I switch to the last page of this. Screenshot (which only depicts the subset of errors that fits on-screen) attached.
Errr... those were all produced by something at yahoo.com - are you sure you can blame Schik for them? :)

You might want to hit that "Clear" button before changing to said last page, then post the errors that were produced from there...

[Last edited by Briareos at 09-27-2006 02:32 PM]
09-27-2006 at 02:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Briareos wrote:
Errr... those were all produced by something at yahoo.com - are you sure you can blame Schik for them? :)
Absolutely ;)

09-27-2006 at 02:36 PM
Schik
Briareos wrote:
eytanz wrote:
Hee hee, I fixed it. :)

I had "javascript:" as an href rather than "javascript:null()", which made it pop up the JS console, but not actually add any errors or warnings to it.

09-27-2006 at 02:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Ah.

Well, that what happens when I post just after waking up in the morning...

09-27-2006 at 03:02 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Excellent work Schik!

That tab will be extremely useful :)

/me smells blood in the air... somwhere far away, a room gets further optimised; another cursed scream is heard... A chilling wind amongst the poplar trees.

Hmmm...

So yeah... great work!
09-27-2006 at 08:22 PM
Syntax
Sorry for double post but this is more relevant:

On the new #1 tab, the link to Hold, Level and Room doesn't seem to work. The first 2 give a 404, and the last gives a "http://forum.caravelgames.com/showroom.php?roomid=12865" (for example).

Also, it would be nice to see what the *current* number #1 move count is, instead of/alongside which move count beat the original #1. I was very keen to return to some of my original #1s I lost, but found that the #1 tab didn't represent what I actually needed to beat to get it back...
09-27-2006 at 09:09 PM
Schik
Syntax wrote:
Sorry for double post but this is more relevant:

On the new #1 tab, the link to Hold, Level and Room doesn't seem to work. The first 2 give a 404, and the last gives a "http://forum.caravelgames.com/showroom.php?roomid=12865" (for example).
I can't reproduce this... the 3 links all work fine for me...
Also, it would be nice to see what the *current* number #1 move count is, instead of/alongside which move count beat the original #1. I was very keen to return to some of my original #1s I lost, but found that the #1 tab didn't represent what I actually needed to beat to get it back...
I had thought about adding the current #1 as well... I might do that in the next iteration.

09-27-2006 at 09:15 PM
Briareos
icon Re: Highscores #1 history (+2)  
Syntax wrote:
All those links work for me when I click on the tab for the new page. After switching through it's subpages the links stop working though, as the anchor tags look like this:
<a href="//////highscores.php?action=holdlevels&id=155">Odd Jobs Medium</a>

It seems to me that each time I change the page an extra slash is added at the beginning of the link, which at least Firefox heavily dislikes - I guess more than one slash would make it assume this is a malformed UNC path.

Don't ask me where the extra slashes come from, though... :)

np: Richard Devine - Itsuko (Asect: Dsect)

[Last edited by Briareos at 09-27-2006 10:52 PM]
09-27-2006 at 09:45 PM
Syntax
Ah... I'm middle clicking to open a new tab and I seem to remember that js links don't work with that sort of clicking. Could explain my issue...

Actually, no. Normal clicking them doesn't work either.
09-27-2006 at 09:55 PM
Schik
icon Re: Highscores #1 history (+2)  
Briareos wrote:
All those links work for me when I click on the tab of the new page. After switching through it's subpages the links stop working though, as the anchor tags look like this:
<a href="//////highscores.php?action=holdlevels&id=155">Odd Jobs Medium</a>
Ah, thanks. Fixed.

While I was at it, I also added sorting by Hold/Level/Room or by the date you lost your score.

09-27-2006 at 10:07 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
75 * 20 = 1500

*sigh*
09-28-2006 at 12:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
This is an extremely nifty page, Schik! It inflames the old optimiser in me like never before, although I am very upset about exactly how many scores I have lost #1 places for - it comes to 168/478 scores, or 35% of my total!

Now that's some wastage of my precious time spent optimising!

Also, I think a "Score Difference" column (for how many moves your scores are over from the #1 spot) would be useful, as well as a column telling you what place you are in that room (since it is a bit of a hassle looking that information up via the main player page). Could we also have a tab for our individual scores on the top of the page? I currently have to click on the main highscore board and find my position on it to get to my score page, which can be a bit inconvenient.

Oh, and what happened to the page which lists all of the scores we have? Was it removed, since I can't find a link to it anywhere?

Finally, I've just got to say that this whole highscore system is incredible. I absolutely love it, Schik!

09-28-2006 at 12:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
I wouldn't call time spent optimizing wasted if:
(a) you had fun
(b) you learned/invented valuable techniques

regardless of whether or not you were eventually bettered.

was Newton wasting time because Einstein improved all Newton's formulas later?

--
"Oh, and what happened to the page which lists all of the scores we have?"

you're gonna kick yourself: High Scores (link), My Scores (tab).
lists all your scores (default sorted by their rank). There's a new option on that page somewhere to download them all into a spreadsheet, too.

[Last edited by silver at 09-28-2006 12:19 AM]
09-28-2006 at 12:16 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
silver wrote:
I wouldn't call time spent optimizing wasted if:
(a) you had fun
(b) you learned/invented valuable techniques

regardless of whether or not you were eventually bettered.

was Newton wasting time because Einstein improved all Newton's formulas later?
Nope, you're right on both counts. I very much had (a) and (b) over the course of optimisation, and I'll keep optimising, even if I eventually end up with mostly #2 scores.

Thanks for the encouragement.

"Oh, and what happened to the page which lists all of the scores we have?"

you're gonna kick yourself: High Scores (link), My Scores (tab).
lists all your scores (default sorted by their rank). There's a new option on that page somewhere to download them all into a spreadsheet, too.
Hmm... I only have four tabs. Maybe it's because my subscription ran out when I was away, and I haven't renewed it yet.

Oh, and just for fun, after digging out some of my old archived material, I found an old spreadsheet with some interesting score data on it (don't ask).

It appears that at the beginning of the year (i.e. around January 2006), at the time of my last recording, this was what the top 3 positions looked like.
Name       | Pos. | Tot. Score | # of Scores | #1s  | #1 %  | Avg.
wallu      | 1    | 37903      | 4908        | 314  | 6.40  | 7.72
Rabscuttle | 2    | 37469      | 3114        | 1159 | 37.22 | 12.03
StuartK    | 3    | 32686      | 2427        | 813  | 33.50 | 13.47

It's interesting how wallu's stats are very similar in proportion compared to before, Rabscuttle and StuartK appear to have stopped competing so ferociously for #1s, and michthro appears to be the new #1 leader by nearly 1000 scores!

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 09-28-2006 01:14 AM]
09-28-2006 at 01:13 AM
silver
Rank Points: 915
odd, I have 6 tabs under "high scores":

1 Players - I use this mostly after sorting by # of high scores to see my total and how close I am to wallu and how far #3 or 4 is
2 Holds - I never click this
3 My Stats - I use this when I want to see how many rooms I have left on a given hold
4 My Scores - I never click this, but can see how I might if I were an optimizer. I certainly feel like I have a use for the "bottom" several pages of this once I decide it's unacceptable to be in 300th place on some JtRH rooms
5 #1 Scores - beta, but I like
6 Miscellaneous - I never click this

-------

your Jan 2006 stats make me wish I could I could bring up the top-list from various months in the past, to see how I'm rising/falling.

[Last edited by silver at 09-28-2006 07:00 AM]
09-28-2006 at 06:28 AM
michthro
If you look at the scores for KDD 2.0:L8:4S I appear to have the #1 with 152 moves. Click on the history, and krepnox appears out of nowhere with 70. This also appears on the #1 scores tab. (There's no 70-move demo available for krepnox in-game, and I doubt it's possible to do that room in 70 moves.)

[Last edited by michthro at 09-28-2006 08:36 PM]
09-28-2006 at 08:33 PM
Schik
michthro wrote:
If you look at the scores for KDD 2.0:L8:4S I appear to have the #1 with 152 moves. Click on the history, and krepnox appears out of nowhere with 70. This also appears on the #1 scores tab. (There's no 70-move demo available for krepnox in-game, and I doubt it's possible to do that room in 70 moves.)
That's bizarre... I can't figure out why it did that. I've removed the offending entry. If anybody sees this happen again, please let me know.

10-02-2006 at 05:22 AM
Syntax

File: duplicate.JPG (163.8 KB)
Downloaded 32 times.
Looking at the #1 tab, I get the attached screenshot (focusing on the first 3 entries).

2 West appears twice... I've just got the #1 place back so would expect both entries to no longer be there.

Also, 1 West is also currently mine (since yesterday) with 266 moves though the 2nd entry doesn't reflect that.
10-02-2006 at 01:27 PM
Briareos
Syntax wrote:
2 West appears twice... I've just got the #1 place back so would expect both entries to no longer be there.
Well, I assume the page lists all the #1's you had, not your #1's grouped by room like you seem to expect.

10-02-2006 at 02:15 PM
Syntax
Well, intuitely I'd expect not to be told I've lost a #1 for a given room, if I actually have the #1 for that room (albeit a more recent one).
10-02-2006 at 03:08 PM
michthro
Syntax wrote:
Well, intuitely I'd expect not to be told I've lost a #1 for a given room, if I actually have the #1 for that room (albeit a more recent one).
A fix for that is in the pipeline:
Schik wrote:
Dolan42 wrote:
One suggestion, it probably shouldn't list scores that have beaten by the player.
True. I'll fix that in my next revision.
10-02-2006 at 03:15 PM
Page 2 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Highscores #1 history (Beta over. We'll call this *done*.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com