Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Highscores #1 history (Beta over. We'll call this *done*.)
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
IP: Logged
icon Highscores #1 history (+4)  
Okay, so I've added logging of when #1 highscores are beaten. I'm not 100% sure it's stable, so I'll call it a beta for now. To see the history for a room, go to the screen where you see room high scores (example). There are now links on the right side like (Scores | #1 History). Click #1 History to see the history, and click Scores to go back to Scores.

The histories right now are as good as I can possibly make them. If two people battled out a room, bettering it over and over again, then I don't have a record of that and cannot retrieve a record of that. Future battles should be recorded correctly, however.

If you see histories that aren't correct, please let me know.

[Last edited by Schik at 11-01-2006 02:17 PM]
09-26-2006 at 06:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Highscores #1 history (0)  
Schik wrote:
Okay, so I've added logging of when #1 highscores are beaten. I'm not 100% sure it's stable, so I'll call it a beta for now. To see the history for a room, go to the screen where you see room high scores (example). There are now links on the right side like (Scores | #1 History). Click #1 History to see the history, and click Scores to go back to Scores.

The histories right now are as good as I can possibly make them. If two people battled out a room, bettering it over and over again, then I don't have a record of that and cannot retrieve a record of that. Future battles should be recorded correctly, however.

If you see histories that aren't correct, please let me know.

Any reason why its telling me that there are no highscores for your example, or JTRH lvl 1?

Edit: KDD 2.0 works fine, must be that I haven't solved those rooms.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 09-26-2006 06:13 AM]
09-26-2006 at 06:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dolan42
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 195
This is sooooo neat, I can't wait for a topic about epic battles. I've had a few skirmishes, but with this you could replay the entire war. One idea for improving the display would be to have some sort of message telling whether the current room is in high score mode or #1 mode. Not a big deal, you can figure it out, but it might prevent confusion.

[Last edited by Dolan42 at 09-26-2006 09:03 AM]
09-26-2006 at 08:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
This is great! Thanks, Schik. One thing: Demos that haven't been verified yet don't show up in the history. No big deal, just thought I'd mention it.
09-26-2006 at 09:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Nifty!

Is it be possible to keep a record of the actual demos, or is that asking too much? (for one thing, I'm not sure how we would access them)
09-26-2006 at 10:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
The demos will still be, just lower down the high score list surely??
09-26-2006 at 10:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Not if there's a tussle and people keep beating each other or improve their own scores.
09-26-2006 at 10:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
icon Re: Highscores #1 history (+1)  
I haven't tried it, but you can change the number of highscores to view in-game from 8 to 15 or 25 in your profile. But I see what you mean about people beating their own scores.

Maybe there should be a feature that allows you to search for demos for a room, probably in-game. maybe you could search for a particular player, or a range of scores. Space is tight in the demo screen though, so I'm not sure where it would fit.

I'm saying in game because demos should still only be available after you finish a room.
09-26-2006 at 10:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Rabscuttle wrote:
Not if there's a tussle and people keep beating each other or improve their own scores.

Note that the current history only considers #1 that have been beaten. So, if I'm already #1 and improve my own score, it will not create another entry. Granted, I'm not sure there would be much use in seeing the progression of an unchallenged player.

Seeing 25 demos would help with that too, though it could be a problem for rooms with a lot of ties. Still, I think it should work out in the vast majority of rooms.
09-26-2006 at 11:13 AM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
When I try to click the #1 history I get an error message.
09-26-2006 at 11:15 AM
michthro
Alneyan wrote:
Note that the current history only considers #1 that have been beaten. So, if I'm already #1 and improve my own score, it will not create another entry.
No, it does create a new entry. Have a look at the history for The Underground Civilisation:Guard Tunnel:2W.
(You too, Blondbeard.. You could still have reclaimed it after all. hehe ;) )
Blondbeard wrote:
When I try to click the #1 history I get an error message.
Which browser are you using? Have you tried another one?

09-26-2006 at 11:29 AM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
I'm using Intenet Explorer, if that's what you mean. And, no, I havn't tried another one. Ought I to do so?
09-26-2006 at 11:35 AM
michthro
Well, I'm sure it will be fixed soon, but since this is a good opportunity to pimp Firefox, yes, by all means, try Firefox.
09-26-2006 at 11:44 AM
NiroZ
Blondbeard wrote:
I'm using Intenet Explorer, if that's what you mean. And, no, I havn't tried another one. Ought I to do so?
Well you could allways try Firefox or even Opera if you wish.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 09-26-2006 11:55 AM : fixed url tags]
09-26-2006 at 11:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
michthro wrote:
No, it does create a new entry. Have a look at the history for The Underground Civilisation:Guard Tunnel:2W.

The link does not work for me, since I didn't play that hold. Perhaps it only creates a new entry under specific circumstances, then.

Check 8E and 9E for Vertigo, in Labyrinthis JtrH, here . In both cases, I uploaded several #1 demos, thereby improving on my own record. There is only one entry for me in the #1 history, however, and not any for my "intermediate" highscores (all my improvements to get from 98 down to 85).
09-26-2006 at 11:58 AM
michthro
Alneyan wrote:
The link does not work for me, since I didn't play that hold. Perhaps it only creates a new entry under specific circumstances, then.
Oh, right, bad example. Sorry, I forgot you can only view scores for rooms you've played in that hold. Maybe that has something to do with it?
09-26-2006 at 12:03 PM
Rabscuttle
Check 8E and 9E for Vertigo, in Labyrinthis JtrH, here . In both cases, I uploaded several #1 demos, thereby improving on my own record. There is only one entry for me in the #1 history, however, and not any for my "intermediate" highscores (all my improvements to get from 98 down to 85).
It's only new scores for which the intermediate values will be recorded - those scores are from last week and there's no record of them.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 09-26-2006 12:05 PM : context]
09-26-2006 at 12:04 PM
Alneyan
Oh, thanks. I didn't read properly Schik's note to that effect.
09-26-2006 at 12:10 PM
Schik
Yikes, sorry about posting a link to a hold that requires having visited the rooms... I didn't know that was the case for that one.

Dolan42, I agree some indication of which you're currently viewing would be nice. I'll look into that.

Something about the new listing just doesn't look right. Maybe it's that the numbers go up as you get to the first highscore ever per room, or that they're listed in reverse chronological order, I don't know.

Rabscuttle, I don't currently have plans to keep all of the actual demos. If there's great demand.... maybe. Would you guys really use them?

09-26-2006 at 01:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
NiroZ
Schik wrote:
Yikes, sorry about posting a link to a hold that requires having visited the rooms... I didn't know that was the case for that one.

Dolan42, I agree some indication of which you're currently viewing would be nice. I'll look into that.

Something about the new listing just doesn't look right. Maybe it's that the numbers go up as you get to the first highscore ever per room, or that they're listed in reverse chronological order, I don't know.

Rabscuttle, I don't currently have plans to keep all of the actual demos. If there's great demand.... maybe. Would you guys really use them?

I seriously doubt that we would use those replaced hiscores, other than for trivial intrige. Perhaps displaying the amount of moves that person optimised whilst @ number 1(ie 100 down to 80)

I also agree that I feel something is missing, perhaps if the history was in a different colour to make it obvious what you were looking at, and displaying the time difference between each of the highscores, to show people how fast/slow the battles went.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 09-26-2006 01:47 PM]
09-26-2006 at 01:45 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580

File: Skjermdump.png (21.1 KB)
Downloaded 51 times.
License: Public Domain
Doesn't seem to work in Opera (9.02, Linux). I tried viewing the history for that one room in JtRH I ever held an exclusive #1 score for*, but it just gave me this (see attached image). Clicking the Scores link again doesn't fix things.

- Gerry

* Still got the speed record though :P
09-26-2006 at 03:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
trick wrote:
Doesn't seem to work in Opera (9.02, Linux). I tried viewing the history for that one room in JtRH I ever held an exclusive #1 score for*, but it just gave me this (see attached image). Clicking the Scores link again doesn't fix things.
Does expanding to see all scores for a room work? That's the little arrow underneath the normal 8 scores.

Edit: Never mind. I went ahead & downloaded the latest Opera, and no, that doesn't work either. *grumble*

Edit 2: I looked at the HTML that's being returned, and I don't see anything wrong with it. It appears to me that Opera just can't replace the innerHTML of a tbody? It's possible that's the standard and you're not supposed to be able to or something, I don't know.

[Last edited by Schik at 09-26-2006 03:32 PM]
09-26-2006 at 03:23 PM
trick
Schik wrote:
Edit 2: I looked at the HTML that's being returned, and I don't see anything wrong with it. It appears to me that Opera just can't replace the innerHTML of a tbody? It's possible that's the standard and you're not supposed to be able to or something, I don't know.
I'm pretty sure you're supposed to be able to do that. I suppose it might just be an Opera bug, then ..

Collapsing and expanding secret tags and the forums on the front page works fine, btw. I don't know how comparable that code is to this, but I see it mentions innerHTML in the javascript on the front page, so Opera must have some support for it, at least ..

Are you changing the layout of the table in the javascript ? Maybe Opera has issues with that. (Also, using rowspan/colspan properly, etc ?)

- Gerry

09-26-2006 at 04:01 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Highscores #1 history (+2)  
Schik wrote:
Well, here's the standard (and, if neccessary, the DOM Core standard it's based on) and you won't find "innerHTML" anywhere in it, since that's a Micros~1 invention...

What you're supposed to do is inserting table rows created with

row=document.createElement("TR");

which in turn are to be stuffed with table cells which in turn have been stuffed with text nodes: (totally untested, no guarantees, void where prohibited, keep out of children, etc.)

var table=document.getElementById("table");
var tbody=table.tBodies[0];

for (int j=0; j < 10; j++)
{
  var row=document.createElement("TR");
  var cell;

for (int i=0; i < 10; i++)
  {
    cell=document.createElement("TD");
    cell.appendChild(document.createTextNode("foo " + i));

row.insertCell(cell);
  }

tbody.insertRow(row);
}

Well, at least that's the basic theory behind it...

np: DJ Shadow - Fixed Income (The Private Press)

[Last edited by Briareos at 09-26-2006 05:15 PM]
09-26-2006 at 04:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
trick wrote:
Schik wrote:
I'm pretty sure you're supposed to be able to do that.
Well, AFAIK Firefox supports it, but it's always "supposed according to whom?"
I suppose it might just be an Opera bug, then ..
If it already works somewhere else on the site, sure.
Collapsing and expanding secret tags and the forums on the front page works fine, btw.
Ah, but that's just changing the secret block's style in JavaScript - absolutely no changing the document structure involved, thankfully.

np: DJ Shadow - Dats My Part (ft. E-40) (The Outsider)

09-26-2006 at 04:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Briareos wrote:
If it already works somewhere else on the site, sure.
I don't believe this same thing works anywhere on the site. On the front page, the collapsing/expanding of board categories is done differently - it does some dynamic reloading, but it changes the content of a div, not a tbody. The only other place this exact thing is done is (IIRC) the arrows to show/hide all scores on the highscores page. This shows that Opera does support using innerHTML for div, but not for tbody. Oh well, I really shouldn't rely on non-standard stuff anyways.

I think I've got some code around that will properly add and remove table rows. I'll give it a shot when I can.

[Last edited by Schik at 09-26-2006 04:49 PM]
09-26-2006 at 04:46 PM
trick
Briareos wrote:
Well, AFAIK Firefox supports it, but it's always "supposed according to whom?"
Well, my reason for saying that was mostly because I was wrong, and thought it was part of the standard. But hey, that means I learned something today, too! Hurray!

- Gerry

09-26-2006 at 04:56 PM
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
Schik wrote:

Well, actually keeping them could fix some of the scoring issues, especially the one with 'improved' high scores resulting from a master wall. But also this would protect players (somewhat) from rooms edited to eliminate trivial solutions, since you could revert to a previous score when the current best for that player was broken by a change.

09-26-2006 at 06:47 PM
Schik
icon Re: Highscores #1 history (+3)  
Yay, more #1 goodness. You can now see all of your Used-to-be-#1 Scores. Go to http://forum.caravelgames.com/highscores.php?action=num1s and you'll see.

I'm planning on adding more to that tab, like a list of rooms that have had the most #1 changes, and maybe the users with the most #1 grabs. I'm open to suggestions for more things to do with this tab.

09-27-2006 at 07:08 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Can it do something to slow down Syntax? :-)
09-27-2006 at 07:31 AM
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Highscores #1 history (Beta over. We'll call this *done*.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com