Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Stepmania (I can't believe I got sucked in)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
IP: Logged
icon Stepmania (0)  
I never thought I would particularly like these types of games, but I just got sucked into Stepmania. In around two days I've improved my "dancing" skills up enough to be able to get an a on a heavy song once in a while. I'm scared that I'm going to end up as one of those freaks at arcades that play the hardest song triple fast with all perfects. :( I'm not particularly sure that it's a skill I want to have.

Anyone else like DDR/Stepmania?
09-24-2006 at 04:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Niccus
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 308
icon Re: Stepmania (0)  
Finger dancer here ;)

:?

Not that good at it, but I can do a few 11-foot songs; that's about it... On foot, gosh, maybe pass a 6-7-footer or two with an astounding C.

Try the Keyboard Mega Pack somewhen (don't know where to get it nowadays). How anyone can finish with AAA on all of those songs is beyond me.
09-24-2006 at 04:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
I can do a 7 footer on a keyboard, and maybe a five footer on foot. :lol That still seems to be better than most people though.
09-24-2006 at 06:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
Rank Points: 349
I made a thread about this back in the day. 9/10 on foot, not much better on keyboard. I got a good way into Xepher on Challenge today at the arcade (after clearing it on Hard) so I haven't lost my touch after not playing for a while.

09-28-2006 at 04:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Yellow_Mage
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
Ezlo wrote:
I never thought I would particularly like these types of games, but I just got sucked into Stepmania.

Indeed. Been playing it for about a month. Keyboard user. I have to play keyboard songs to get a challenge and there are lots that I can't do. I can do up to 11 feet - some 12 feet I can do, 13 I can do very inconsistently (mash!) but I can do certain 16 feet ones.

I think I can do some 7 footers with feet. I haven't played it in arcacdes for a long time.

Click here to view the secret text

10-02-2006 at 09:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Yeah, I've now moved up to 9 feet on a keyboard. I'm getting better.
10-02-2006 at 09:19 PM
Yellow_Mage
icon Re: Stepmania (+1)  
:) There is a Communtity Keyboard Pack around, I'll try to find the website. I still haven't been able to do every song in that still...

http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/ - to get other sim files.

Edit: I found it but the old link is dead (it's pretty big at nearly 200Mb) and you can only get it via torrents. I don't know how this site feels about torrents (or linking to those sites themselves)...

Forums Dance Off!

I don't why I didn't think of first time.

I suppose it's a bit unfair as I know this song, but you can pick a song and post a pic and we shall fight it off until our keyboard letters start to fade and to grind away into dust. Or until someone loses I suppose... I fogot this has an internet thingy, but it could be just only on LAN. I didn't really look properly.

[Last edited by Yellow_Mage at 10-04-2006 12:28 AM]
10-02-2006 at 11:27 PM
roach strangler
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
OH YEAH I can do challenge though. :D
10-08-2006 at 03:52 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Yellow_Mage wrote:
:) There is a Communtity Keyboard Pack around, I'll try to find the website. I still haven't been able to do every song in that still...

Edit: I found it but the old link is dead (it's pretty big at nearly 200Mb) and you can only get it via torrents. I don't know how this site feels about torrents (or linking to those sites themselves)...
I found that and volume 2 from Filefront. Would that be ok? They're mostly fine, except for the fact that they're clearly aimed at more skilled players than myself (I'm definitely unable to challenge Y_M in some crazy Paranoias).

My current Stepmania challenge is to get a satisfying rank in Hardware Store (definitely a fun song). So far the long stream is giving me trouble, and keeping me at B, but I'll get it eventually. I mean, it's like my only 9-footer with a rank under A. There's someone's video of it in Youtube here, by the way.
(edit: Completed - [PIC] )

[Last edited by Doom at 10-09-2006 07:37 PM]
10-08-2006 at 11:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo

File: HardwareStore.GIF (56.7 KB)
Downloaded 60 times.
License: Public Domain
I just got a B on Challenge, Rachel got a C.

Here's proof. We might have cheated a bit. Maybe.
10-09-2006 at 07:00 PM
Niccus
I can't seem to find your version of Hardware Store... Here's my attempt at the version on Bemanistyle.
My keyboard doesn't handle fast jumps well :/

And just to make it easier to figure out where I stand, my other scores at other songs, notably this, this, and this.
10-10-2006 at 12:44 AM
Ezlo
I found it on Flash Flash Revolution, search for "Weird Al"

BTW, in case you are wondering, Rachel and I slowed it down to 0.3 the speed. It was still difficult though. Anyone here have the Video Game Mega Pack?
10-10-2006 at 01:57 AM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
I have DDR StepMania Mega Pack. It took it nearly a week to download! Yeesh! It includes approximately 70 songs in "DDR Video Games" 1st mix through 5th mix.

[Last edited by Schik at 10-10-2006 02:50 AM : No links to sites like that....]
10-10-2006 at 02:46 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Hardware Store is one of my favorites.

I also like Your Horoscope For Today, and Don't Download This Song is hilarious.

This is completely off-topic, btw.
10-10-2006 at 03:11 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
:lol

I like Al. He's a good spooffer.
10-10-2006 at 03:15 AM
Yellow_Mage
Why does Hardware Store from FFR only have Challenge steps? :P

Hardware Store - A: I get knobbled at the end.

Kevin_P86 wrote:
I have DDR StepMania Mega Pack. It took it nearly a week to download! Yeesh! It includes approximately 70 songs in "DDR Video Games" 1st mix through 5th mix.

I'll give you some easy challenging scores.

Glove on Fight - Full Combo

Chrono Cross (the other one) - Full Combo

Garuda Stage - Full Combo

:fun Ok, these are alright. Only Bloody Tear for 5th Mix is giving me agro for AA. Too fast for streamy madness. :/

Now I wish I can damn triple A something that isn't on Light. For some reason my fingers wants to go out of sync for some reason.

I forgot to get a screenshot for Genocide on Challenge Niccus, but I doubt that I beat your score. I played Edit and I mashed the keyboard because I couldn't do any better than that. :)

Genocide - Edit

I'll play it again later.

New song!

Empathy - A reasonable 9 Footer. Has 8th beat "drills" and 16th beat "gallops" (I think that's what they are called). Not a storming score, but it's a mid/high A, mind. And it isn't on FFR for some reason, which is strange because I got it from there. I'm assuming the creator got his account banned or something... Bah. I'll stick it up somewhere...

10-11-2006 at 11:34 AM
Ezlo
Is there anyway to get that Mega pack without downloading all 5 gigs of it? I really want the Videogame stuff.
10-11-2006 at 02:02 PM
Yellow_Mage
If you are talking about the torrent, you can download individual packs within the actual torrent by (generally speaking) right click and going to properties and selecting which files to download, but it varies from bittorrent client how you do it (I might know depending which one it is). I only really recomend DDR Video Game Packs (maybe) 2nd version upwards. The syncing in some of the songs are terrible and made me cry or I didn't like them, so I deleted them.

In the Mega Pack it has DDR Anime Packs as well. Uhh... I downloaded one and I didn't like it. I'll say if you don't have them get DDR 6th - 8th Mix and In The Groove. That's pretty much the difficulty from left to right; DDR 6th being easy and In The Groove being harder.

I still haven't tried out everything but some of the packs are poopy like Aschmed and Pajje Mix. I really like the Keyboard Mega Pack (not Izzy - haven't tried that yet). Really really hard (I haven't dont some of them - gah).

Here is the song for Empathy, sorry for MegaUpload - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DYCFYLPN

Option to download is hidden behind the link ad box.

10-11-2006 at 07:18 PM
Ezlo
Well, I don't have BitTorrent, and I don't particularly want it either. Where can I get the Video Game stuff without using BitTorrent?
10-11-2006 at 10:32 PM
Yellow_Mage
As far as I know, not anywhere. I thought the DDR VG Mixes were just above mediocre since I deleted most of the songs for various reasons.

Ok, linkys...

Gotta have Plaguemix Series if you have got it (from http://www.stepmania.com/wiki/Download_Songs)- pretty fun. Has some stuff from DDR Video Game Mixes but they are all solid steps. Lack of Challenge steps makes me sad. Good pack for beginners but not everyone else. And it has Dan Ol' Skool Mix (really obscure remix by Spasm from an offical remix album. Never did well).

Chaomix Pack - D/L the 3 Rar Parts at bottom which contains every song except Santuary
http://www.naota3k.com/chaomix/
I have played the light steps, but the Standard and Heavy are good for everyone (there are some tricky songs here). Challenge on some songs give a decent challenge. Some more Video Game Mix songs here.

http://www.awzome.com/smo.html
Keyboard packs for decent players. I only have the Keyboard Mega Pack. There are 3 damn crappy songs I still can't do. There are some reasonable doable songs here for someone wanting a challenge step file, but some are much harder than others. I'll check out the Kirby Pack. I heard it's excellent (I love Kirby music), but if it has Steel Organ by Kilga I might cry.

I hopes that satiates you. Because I really didn't feel like download it again and uploading packs that I didn't think were that good. :P

10-12-2006 at 12:28 AM
Canadian_Army
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 50
I've always liked DDR better.
I cant beat 9 foot songs :)

10-13-2006 at 01:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Ezlo wrote:
Well, I don't have BitTorrent, and I don't particularly want it either. Where can I get the Video Game stuff without using BitTorrent?

Ezlo, just get with the freaking times. :/
10-14-2006 at 05:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
I want to, it's just that my Dad doesn't. At least I'm allowed to download whatever I want without it.
10-14-2006 at 06:08 PM
Yellow_Mage
I think my skills are leet at this game (comparison wise). I forget about month ago Paranoia gave me headache. Um..

I'm just gonna upload 6 sim files of various difficulty (most that I can't find anywhere else) for people to try out.

Easy: JAM
Streamy, great song.

Moderate: Healing Vision (Full hate Mix) [Long song]
Extreme streams, 3 speeds. Fast. It's alright. I love this song.

Moderate: Unite!
Has technical parts. It's actually easier than it initially seems. Some decent J-Pop from Ayumi Hamazaki (I've got more songs if anyone is interested).

Hard: Z
Very fast, extreme streams and jumps inbetween. I find fast streams are easier than anything else. I think some people are going to find this song easier than...

Hard: Nemesis
Technical, need fast fingers, jumpy. I believe is reasonably passable but it just hard getting a high score.

Challenge: Nekonabe
Mines... lots of mines. With toupees. If you are accurate this is easier than the other hard ones. This is why you don't look at feet for difficulty...

Eh, I could be wrong about difficulties.

MegaUpload (beh) http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JQPJYGTY

My scores...
JAM (AA) http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/6175/jamtl3.jpg
Healing Vision -FHM (AA FC): http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/343/healingvisionfhpi2.jpg
Unite! (AA): http://img273.imageshack.us/img273/6366/uniteof7.jpg
Z (A): http://img278.imageshack.us/img278/5459/zrv1.jpg
Nemesis (B - *cough* it's easier than it seems): http://img278.imageshack.us/img278/5080/nemesisck2.jpg
Nekonabe (A - first try): http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/3648/nekonabexl9.jpg

Baa.

10-14-2006 at 07:20 PM
Niccus
Jam, first try. Easy song, AA. (The C200 is on accident, honest)

Healing Vision (Full Hate Mix), first try. A bit tricky in a few places, AA.

Unite!, first try. Easyish, pretty fun, AA.

Z, first try. Pretty fun, A.

Nemesis, second try. Not that hard, certainly tricky. A.

Nekonabe, first try. I probably should redo this :P. A.
10-14-2006 at 09:59 PM
Yellow_Mage
Haha... nice. I have to put some harder songs in next, probably ones where I get Ds or really low Cs in. ;>_>

The last 3 I did them first. I thought it would be easier to beat my score rather me trying to be hardcore and AA everything (Z is pretty tricky in place still, doh). Nemesis I got an A but you still beat my score, you... :P

Ok, I'm gonna make another pack soon. :D

10-15-2006 at 02:27 AM
Niccus
That reminds me -- Where did you get BemaniRuler's [sic, no way I'm doing that set of capitalizations] simfiles? I can't seem to find that awesome set of steps anymore...

For the pack, how about set of songs from SkoR's Selection of High Quality Stepfiles from that link of yours? Chaomix is also a nice selection to take stepfiles from for these little competitions :P
(ITG is also a pretty good selection, seems to be more in range of everyone's abilities, from the low end to the high end)

[Last edited by Niccus at 10-15-2006 02:56 AM]
10-15-2006 at 02:55 AM
Yellow_Mage
Edit: I got some of BeniRulers sims from DDR Megapack (5.5Gb one some from the "Originals" zip). Yes, he does good sims, and I have a few others of his. He likes doing TaQ/Dj Taka sims.

I suppose I could do stuff from Chaomix an

It's been done into to two zips becuase I can't believe my selection got up to 44 Mb already..

Cold Breath (Heavy only - I think)
Straight forward as anthing can be (even for Heavy steps).

Xepher (Standard, Heavy, Challenge)
Easy, fast tempo. Speed changes.

Paranoia KFL Mix (Heavy and Challenge - I think)
Its straight forward. Where it gets tricky are the speed changes.

POST (Heavy only - I think)
Harder than I first thought, but it's reasonably easy. It will make you laugh when you first play it. It's cool. If I said it has a few speed changes it's an understatement. :P

Must Be Dreaming (B,L,S,H,C)
Challenge is as twitchy/16th steps as Oni steps are meant to be. Heavy is fine. Could be hard at the end with mines especially if yo are playing Challenge.

Mind Reflection (Standard, Heavy, Challenge - I think)
It's standard on Challenge steps. Nothing purposefully tricky. Depends on how you play is can be hard.

Max.(period) (various difficulties which I would have forgotten)
It's a Max song >_> The speed change at the end can ruin your score.

NeoMax (various)
It's an easier Max remix which actually sounds decently original. And it slows down too!

All songs above - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0ZK8LUJD

Chaoz Japan (Heavy and Challenge)
Both steps are different enough warrant playing both, and I say Challenge is easier. It's fast and has pauses.

Era - Grand Blue Ouset Mix [Long] (Heavy only - I think)
A harder song. Certain parts you can just mash through and survive if you concentration slips as regularly as mine. :P

Paranoia -Insanity- Mix (various)
I think it's the speed of the streams and pauses that are tricky than anything else.

Dancing Mad (FFVI) (Standard, Heavy, Challenge)
Challenge isn't has hard as it seems. Can't see the steps, just mash. Hard to get a high score on (well, I can AA still). If you know this song you'll can expect the steps to be awkward.

Wondered Off In Wonderland (L,S,H,C)
The steps are hard. Even Standard is reasonably challenging. Heavy is hard. I can't do Challenge as it blends the Standard and Heavy steps together as they both follow two different beats/leads in the song. It makes you get good with jumps if you have issues with them in Standard.

Lawn Wake IV (Black) (Heavy only)
My kind of hard, but the song and the steps rock you can forgive it easily.

Monotune - Respect- (Heavy only - I think)
This song is uniquely hard. It's more like a memory and puzzle game... I would put options to Fail End of Song. When I first played it, I laughed. I'm not going to say anymore than that. :D

Part 2 - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Q140ZLLR

My old recommendations still stands if people want more sims. Japanese Collaboration Pack is about DDR 7th/8th Mix difficulty.

[Last edited by Yellow_Mage at 10-16-2006 06:39 PM]
10-15-2006 at 04:00 PM
Ezlo
One of my friends just told me that a while ago, he was googling for Stepmania files, and this exact topic came up on the first page. I wonder how long it will be until people start asking for files here. :fun
11-24-2006 at 09:47 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Ezlo wrote:
One of my friends just told me that a while ago, he was googling for Stepmania files, and this exact topic came up on the first page. I wonder how long it will be until people start asking for files here. :fun

Insaniquarium anybody?
11-25-2006 at 01:48 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Stepmania (I can't believe I got sucked in)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com