Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : Whirling Motor Inside Your Head (Our News for September.)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
IP: Logged
icon Re: Whirling Motor Inside Your Head (0)  
If you're looking for a good anime, check out Full Metal Alchemist or Nadia: Secret of blue Water. :)
09-28-2006 at 10:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Briareos wrote:
Which leaves the question - what genres are you looking for?
Um...I don't know, the good stuff? ;) I wanted to like Princess Mononoke since Neil Gaiman did a lot of (all of?) the English translation, but it just didn't grab me. The story was too disjointed, I didn't care about the characters, etc. Now Spirited Away...that is possibly the only anime movie that I have seen that I did enjoy. It's hard for me to explain what it was about it that made it rise above the others I have seen (admittedly not many) because generally other anime have strong characterization and engaging plot lines.

Anyway, I generally do not like series. I don't care much for TV, so it is the rare show that I will be interested in getting on DVD. Generally they have to be amazing (Firefly) or just really funny (Family Guy, The Tick).

Oh, and a lot of the anime-style art just annoys me in general. Especially messing with the eyes, like ^_^ or the teardrop thing. It bugs me in video games too but if the gameplay is good I can deal with it.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-28-2006 at 10:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
The only thing that bothers me about anime is its "shounen"-ness... the way it often makes plot, character and style compromises in order not to reduce its appeal to the young teenage male demographic, who make up a large part of the audience. I've been watching some Eureka Seven - it's got what will clearly turn out to be a fascinating storyline and there are some very intriguing (adult) characters, but this is all marred by the immature, inept 14-year-old protagonist who cannot go the length of an episode without making a horrifically naive mistake or bursting into tears of self-pity. And the emphasis on this kid means that much of the subtlety of the relationships between the other characters is sacrificed. It's almost as if Mr. Bean was dropped into a Shakespearean tragedy.

In a similar vein, anime would be a much better scene without the giant mecha. I will defend this remark to the death.

09-29-2006 at 02:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
Although I haven't seen much Anime, I did see spirited away a while ago, and it seemed appropriate.
09-29-2006 at 03:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Yeah, I don't think Princess Mononoke was improved much by Gaiman's dialogue.

I was quite disappointed with Howl's Moving Castle. I mean, it was good, but it felt very formulaic.

09-29-2006 at 07:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
BeefontheBone
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 184
Any chance of a post in here about the news for this month? ...

09-29-2006 at 07:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
BeefontheBone wrote:
Any chance of a post in here about the news for this month? ...
I do belive that the first post covered that pretty well.

However, just because you asked and I'm feeling bored, I'll tell you that the HP drama unfolds and agaricus5 has indeed returned..

In other news, discussion over anime has been revived by both Erik and mrimer.

anything else?

[Last edited by NiroZ at 09-29-2006 08:15 AM]
09-29-2006 at 08:15 AM
BeefontheBone
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 184
What I meant there was that the anime discussion should be in a topic titled, say, "Anime" in another forum, like the Anything one - I tend to only read some of the forums and I've kept seeing new post icons for things which have nothing to do with the news for the month, which is a little irritating.

09-29-2006 at 08:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
I dunno, this seems to happen most times a new news post is made--there's general discussion of the various points that were made in the news post. Anything really interesting to add to the original news post will most likely be made in a separate news post, to be honest. But sure, when there's a complaint usually we move to another topic if we really want to continue the discussion.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-29-2006 at 10:37 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
ErikH2000 wrote:
A Real TCB Leak
Ah, but there's no URL below. Am I just teasing you? No, no, come back later and there will be a link.
When is "later"?

09-30-2006 at 12:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Jatopian wrote:
ErikH2000 wrote:
A Real TCB Leak
Ah, but there's no URL below. Am I just teasing you? No, no, come back later and there will be a link.
When is "later"?

Further to that, does that imply that TCB will be finished in October?
09-30-2006 at 12:18 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
icon Re: Whirling Motor Inside Your Head (+1)  
coppro wrote:
Jatopian wrote:
ErikH2000 wrote:
A Real TCB Leak
When is "later"?

Further to that, does that imply that TCB will be finished in October?
The answer "when its done" always springs to mind.
09-30-2006 at 01:13 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I would put money on TCB being done right around when the bar clicks get up to where mrimer guessed. He's got motivation to make it before deadline, you see!

Of course, I give you this advice in the expectation that you will choose me for a bookie. You won't get better odds anywhere else! This is techincally true even though I planned on taking your money and buying a pina colada with it!

10-01-2006 at 06:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : Whirling Motor Inside Your Head (Our News for September.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com