Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Improved Smily insertion
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Andy101
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 222
IP: Logged
icon Improved Smily insertion (+1)  
At the moment if you insert a smily, or for that matter one of the hyperlink, e-mail or picture links, then the smily/link is added at the end of the message. IMO it would be better if they were inserted at the cursor as is the case with all the other things that you can insert.

[Last edited by Andy101 at 09-22-2006 11:50 PM]
09-22-2006 at 11:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drgamer
Rank Points: 113
icon Re: Improved Smily insertion (0)  
I agree, the only problem being, you'd have to rewrite the fourm code, as it's automatically placed there in nearly EVERY single fourm I've been too...
But as this fourm was modified by the CaravelNet team, I guess it's possible (Although it might delay TCB)
09-23-2006 at 03:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
It didn't used to be that from what I remember. I think it started doing that when I switched to Firefox. Or maybe it was after the forum crashed really bad and some stuff was lost and then rewritten. Or maybe my memory is just bad.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-23-2006 at 05:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
As long as I have been here the smiles have appeared at the end of a post(usually thats where you want it anyway).

Just remember that Ctrl-C Ctrl-V is your friend(I don't know what it would be on Linux or Mac though)
09-23-2006 at 07:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
NiroZ wrote:
As long as I have been here the smiles have appeared at the end of a post(usually thats where you want it anyway).
Not when you're editing a post or putting your answers in the middle of a quote.

I guess these two Javascript objects should help inserting text smack in the middle of the textbox where the cursor is...

np: Yoko Kanno - Inner Universe (Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex OST 1)

09-23-2006 at 10:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Briareos wrote:
NiroZ wrote:
Not when you're editing a post or putting your answers in the middle of a quote.

Thats what Ctrl C & V are for.
09-23-2006 at 12:39 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1224
Am I the only one that perfers to manualy type out smilies?
09-23-2006 at 12:57 PM
NiroZ
Ezlo wrote:
Am I the only one that perfers to manualy type out smilies?
I wish i could, but I can never remember them :jealousy .
09-23-2006 at 01:20 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Improved Smily insertion (+1)  
NiroZ wrote:
Briareos wrote:

Thats what Ctrl C & V are for.
Mind if I disagree? Inserting things like bold tags works smack in the middle of the text area (or even on the selection, if you're that bold... :lol), so why shouldn't inserting smilies do the same?

Obviously there is code to insert stuff anywhere in the text already, it's just not used for smilies...

np: Yoko Kanno - Spotter (Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex OST Be Human)

09-23-2006 at 04:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
*bump*

It now works for tags, but not smilies.

[Last edited by Jason at 01-02-2007 09:13 AM]
01-02-2007 at 09:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
BeefontheBone
Rank Points: 184
Inserting smilies on the selection might not be the best idea :P

01-09-2007 at 07:53 PM
Casebier
Rank Points: 283
I've just recently done some customization of kazoom.org's PHP Forum system and I know it can be fixed to insert smilies where the cursor is currently at.

On another note about Smilies... The first time I post a message/reply after starting up IE again I have to wait about 30 seconds before my text starts to show up. I believe this is caused by all of the animated smilies being loaded upon the start of the editor. I think there would be less strain on the client and server if these graphics were pre-loaded upon opening either the viewboard.php or message.php files.

01-10-2007 at 01:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Improved Smily insertion
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No