Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Wii Prices and Launch date (US $249.99!)
Page 1 of 7
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1308
IP: Logged
icon Wii Prices and Launch date (+2)  
WII Beleive!

Console: $249.99
Wii-mote: $39.99
Nunchuck: $19.99
Traditional Shell: $19.99
Game: $49.99
Virtual Console: $4.99 to $9.99 a game.

Release Date: Nov. 19

Wii Sports will come with it!

However, it does disturb me that if you buy 4 traditional shells along with 3 more wii-motes and nunchucks, that adds up to more than the console itself.

Still, can't argue with that price tag! And there's 16 confirmed launch titles (maybe more!) I need a preorder. Fast.

All together now... Wii!

I apologize if a topic was already started, but I can't find it.
09-14-2006 at 11:31 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: Wii Prices and Launch date (0)  
I was wondering if I should make one or not.

So, yep, nice price, although the controller seems to take up way too much of it! :lol I'm going to preorder one tomorrow along with Twillight Princess and maybe Excite Truck. My sister and I are splitting the costs.

I'm a bit bummed that Metroid Prime 3 got bumped to 2007, but I'm also a bit glad, that way it will get better.
09-14-2006 at 11:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
So, for the Wii-illiterate (Wiiliterate?) among us, what's a traditional shell and a Wii-mote, and why do you need 3 of each?

09-14-2006 at 11:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Heres to hopeing that it will be roughly the same price down under, and that the wiimote with be as good as the hype.
09-14-2006 at 11:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
icon Re: Wii Prices and Launch date (+1)  
Tradtional shell:
Hmm... can't find an image. Basically it's an attachment to the Wii-Mote (or maybe it just goes into the GCN port, I don't know) that works like a traditional two-hand controller, used for older games mainly. However, you could probably just use a GCN controller, as I plan to.

Wii-mote (Technically the Wii Remote, but most of the world doesn't care):

And you need 4 because they're the controllers (the system comes with 1 Wii-mote and 1 nunchuck)

Also, we get the system first (Dec 2 lauch in Japan)

09-15-2006 at 12:07 AM
eytanz
coppro wrote:
And you need 4 because they're the controllers (the system comes with 1 Wii-mote and 1 nunchuck)

I feel like an old, ignorant, fart right now, but why would I need 4 controllers?

[Last edited by eytanz at 09-15-2006 12:23 AM]
09-15-2006 at 12:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
You wouldn't - unless you plan to play a 4-player game with three other people.

09-15-2006 at 12:24 AM
eytanz
Oh. Well, I have no plans on purchasing a Wii (because I know I can't afford the time and/or money investment), but if I did, I'm a purely single-player game player.

09-15-2006 at 12:29 AM
coppro
Ah. Well, with 2 brothers, 4 controllers isn't so much on an idea, especially if Nintendo is right when they say that parents will want to play.
09-15-2006 at 12:36 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
I have also absolutely no plans on buying one this year.

It also helps being in Europe, we won't probably get it before March 2007 anyway.

Fortunately I've still got so many Cube games that I haven't finished. (for example Majora's Mask :))

09-15-2006 at 12:39 AM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
I'll definitely be getting one, but I only plan to buy one extra controller set. If I want to play 4 player games, I will probably be playing with other friends who own the Wii and they can bring their controllers (or I can bring mine). Although I do mostly play single-player games, I do like some multiplayer when the opportunity arises.

Now coppro, make sure you also post when you find out when game stores will start taking pre-orders. ;)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-15-2006 at 12:48 AM
Tim
Oneiromancer wrote:
Now coppro, make sure you also post when you find out when game stores will start taking pre-orders. ;)
I suggest you to go to your store and ask now. Our local stores are accepting pre-orders already. And we don't get it in six months...

09-15-2006 at 12:52 AM
coppro
No preorders here - I suspect that they're waiting for CAD MSRPs, not that I'm going to buy one in-store if it's significantly cheaper to just buy it from a US website. Also, the prices translate to CAD approximately as follows:

Console: $280
Game: $55-60
Virtual Console Game: $5-$10
Wii-Mote: $45
Nunchuck/Traditional:$20-$25

Oh, and if you get it before June '07, Opera comes free.
09-15-2006 at 12:57 AM
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
coppro wrote:
Nunchuck: $19.99
Traditional Shell: $19.99
Whats a nunchuck? And whats a traditional shell -_-

Keep posting,

09-15-2006 at 01:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
coppro wrote:
Tradtional shell:
Hmm... can't find an image. Basically it's an attachment to the Wii-Mote (or maybe it just goes into the GCN port, I don't know) that works like a traditional two-hand controller, used for older games mainly. However, you could probably just use a GCN controller, as I plan to.

09-15-2006 at 01:25 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Swiit! *goes to both read the news, and avoid the glass bottles being thrown for the ridiculous pun I've never seen before and just thought of.*

Awesomeness. I'm definitely going to be losing (entertaining myself) for at least a week of my life.

09-15-2006 at 01:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Nunchuck:

Spur any memories?
09-15-2006 at 02:45 AM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Tim wrote:
Oneiromancer wrote:
I suggest you to go to your store and ask now. Our local stores are accepting pre-orders already. And we don't get it in six months...
You think I haven't asked? No stores in the U.S. are officially taking pre-orders until the launch date is firmly set. I asked again today...they said that until they get permission from upper management they aren't going to officially take preorders. So I'm not how well it will be advertised when permission is given, although I wouldn't be surprised to see it on Joystiq when it does happen.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-15-2006 at 04:53 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
I'm going to be getting one, but unfortunately Wal-Mart doesn't take preorders, so I'm just going to have to wait outside the doors to get one. What makes it all worthwhile is that I'll be getting 10% off the system along with any accessories and games I buy for it.

09-15-2006 at 05:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
coppro wrote:
Oh, and if you get it before June '07, Opera comes free.

Opera?
Why do i need a browser on my console?
09-15-2006 at 08:25 AM
coppro
Because you can.
09-15-2006 at 02:26 PM
NiroZ
coppro wrote:
Because you can.

Gee, the gap between PC's and consoles is getting really close.
09-15-2006 at 02:47 PM
Pilchard VIII
Rank Points: 392
WOWOWOW! I cannot believe that the Wii is gonna cost less than £150! And to think I got my PS2 for £200... comparing prices, the PS2 feels like such a sting. I am well looking forward to loads of the games, but especially Super Smash Bros Brawl. Over the past days, I've gone smash mad, see. Speaking of which...

OMG! It's SUPER SMASH FLASH!
http://www.mcleodgaming.com/flash.htm

09-15-2006 at 05:13 PM
Tim
Tim wrote:
It also helps being in Europe, we won't probably get it before March 2007 anyway.
Okay, it's Dec. 08, but I'm still not planning to buy it this year, unless there's a very good reason for this. (A Twilight Package perhaps?)

Oh, and the seperate controllers are way too expensive. But now I have an excuse to play alone on the Wii. :D

09-15-2006 at 08:12 PM
coppro
Hey, we have the European prices today.

Console: 249 euros/179 pounds
Games: 49-50 euros/34-39 pounds
Wii-mote: 39 euros/29 pounds
Nunchuk: 19 euros/14 pounds
Classic Controller (official name): 19 euros/14 pounds

A bit more expensive, if I got my conversions right.
09-15-2006 at 08:55 PM
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
$249!!
Isn't the PS3 like $600?
Nintendo's done it agaiin! Also I heard that you can download classic NES, SNES and N64! THey might even have an online! That will be awsome! I can't wait!
09-15-2006 at 10:32 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
coppro wrote:
A bit more expensive, if I got my conversions right.
Yeah, seems they flipped a Sony and didn't bother doing any currency conversion. It'll probably be cheaper to just import a Wii from overseas .. and doing that won't even lead to problems since the Wii isn't region locked. Wii.

- Gerry

[Last edited by trick at 09-15-2006 10:55 PM]
09-15-2006 at 10:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Gah, the barstards

I just read that the Wii Wiill be a biit more priicy over hiir, and will be realised on the 7th of dec.

the Wii wiil be launching in Australia @ AU$399.95
United States @ US$250 (AU$333)
Japan @ ¥25,000 (AU$283)

As usual, we have been overpriced for gaming goods.
09-16-2006 at 01:59 AM
coppro
Probably costs more to get it there - still, that's nearly 50 bucks US. You guys definitely got the short end of the stick.
09-16-2006 at 02:07 AM
NiroZ
Bad news people

Nintendo UK has admitted that the Wii console is region-locked after all, despite comments from Nintendo of America to the contrary.

DAMNIT!!!

09-16-2006 at 05:02 AM
Page 1 of 7
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Wii Prices and Launch date (US $249.99!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com