Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Additional info on holds board
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Stephen4Louise
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 548
IP: Logged
icon Additional info on holds board (0)  
Every new hold that is posted these days has a rush of people complaining about holds not showing up on the architecture forum. lets not forget that holds can be tested privately or through private beta forums. Can a mandatory field be added to the holds page where an architect has to specify whether his hold was tested on a private board.

It might help make the holds forum a nicer place to be again.
09-11-2006 at 04:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Additional info on holds board (0)  
Good idea.

I should point out, though, that with the most recent hold posted, the hold author posted a message which makes it seem very much like he either didn't test the hold, or that at least he plans on using the holds board as an extended beta test, which is why it got the reaction it did. I don't think people are jumping the gun, but I think giving hold authors a way to specify the form of testing they used would be a good idea regardless.

[Last edited by eytanz at 09-11-2006 04:25 PM]
09-11-2006 at 04:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
Yeah, that's why I didn't mention any names. I've played most of the first level of the hold and it does seem to be of quite a high quality. Only time will tell if it has been properly tested.
09-11-2006 at 04:29 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Additional info on holds board (+1)  
Well, there is definitely a thread for the hold in question on the Architecture board. However, it hasn't seen any traffic since June, which makes me think that it probably could have used a final testing round. Still, I've played a bit of it and enjoyed it so far -- haven't found any obvious problems.

Other than with language, anyway.

Josh

09-11-2006 at 05:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Additional info on holds board (+2)  
I don't find this necessary, provided that more people followed the following suggestion:

I think it should be an unwritten rule that the architect includes a list of people who tested the hold with it. This would solve all doubts about testing, and give some credit to those who deserve it.
09-11-2006 at 07:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Additional info on holds board (+2)  
Stephen4Louise wrote:
Every new hold that is posted these days has a rush of people complaining about holds not showing up on the architecture forum. lets not forget that holds can be tested privately or through private beta forums. Can a mandatory field be added to the holds page where an architect has to specify whether his hold was tested on a private board.
I talked a while ago to Oneiromancer about doing this. I think we both liked the idea, I just haven't had much DROD time lately, so it hasn't been done. Now that I'm back home, hopefully things will get back to normal soon and I'll have time for this sort of thing.

I also like Doom's idea about documenting the testers... forget unwritten rules, let's make it a written one. If "List your testers here:" is a field on the hold submission form, people will probably be more likely to fill it out than if it's not.

09-18-2006 at 03:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
Welcome back Schik! Before rushing into changes like this, have a read over here. There are a few ideas floating about there that might make this one obsolete.
Cheers
Steve.
09-19-2006 at 09:03 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Additional info on holds board
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com