Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Stump the Jin (continued...)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
IP: Logged
icon Re: Stump the Jin (0)  
"The rules of physics may be violated in granting your wish, but may not remain violated afterwards -- such a wish will be considered to cause a contradiction, which, as previously mentioned, is a draw (note that this rules out wishing for magical powers, omnipotence or more wishes)."

since it's unfair to declare loss on the first wish of one-at-a-time-mode I'm merely disqualifying it.

09-13-2006 at 11:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lst6
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 211
Oh, that one was unexpected, have the mod point for losing!
I hope you have more luck!

Things related to the Bar:
Click here to view the secret text

Working on: NOTHING
Accomplishments i'm proud of:
-Solving the bar riddle
09-13-2006 at 11:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Fine then. I wish all humans had four arms, with six fingers on each hand, the extra finger being another opposable thumb (with four regular fingers between the two thumbs).

09-13-2006 at 12:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Maurog's wish:
"I wish all humans had four arms, with six fingers on each hand, the extra finger being another opposable thumb (with four regular fingers between the two thumbs)."

Not sure I get the point. Really.

Poof. It is done. All humans have 4 arms. In fact, all vertebrates are hexapodial instead of quadrapodial - it's always been that way.
Everything else is the same, because no one ever knew any different. All humans still have the same relative capabilities and social positions, there's still debates over whether we were created that way or evolved from the 4-handed hominids, etc. There's minor changes of phrasing (no more "one hand, the other hand...") and some sports have different rules (but the new-ruled sports exactly fill the social positions of the old ones)... losing an arm is still considered crippling because everything's adapted for 4-armed people... it's considered the stuff of weird science fiction to conceive of 2-armed people... all the Star Trek aliens have 4 arms and funny foreheads... et cetera et cetera. I'd call this a neutral outcome except for one thing.

You, the wisher, remember your life before the wish because otherwise you wouldn't know you made the wish. So now you're looked at funny if you act like it's "cool" or "funny" to have 4 arms (why is it cool or funny to be normal?), you are awkward when operating things because you have to remember to use your other arms, or figure out how to apply them in ways that came naturally to everyone else since they were babies... you usually seem kinda slow and awkward, like you're having troubles operating your body, but no one knows or understands why.

I'm not sure what you were expecting, really.

---

current queue: 5 of 5 spots used.
1) Chaco, 1 at a time mode. 2 wishes and 42 words and 2 conjunctions used. Situation mildly bad (nosebleed), in interactive mode to study the consequences of the latest wish.
2) UrAvgAzn, 1 at a time mode. 2 wishes and 22 words and 0 conjunctions used. Situation painful.
3) eytanz, 1 at a time mode. 2 wishes and 46 words and 1 conjunction used. Situation depressed.
4) Jason, 1 at a time mode. 2 wishes and 65 words and 4 conjunctions used. Situation remains neutral, with a potentially mildly bad undercurrent.
5) Maurog, 1 at a time mode. 1 wish and 28 words and 0 conjunctions used. Situation awkward.

---

I'm reminded of another piece of "wish literature" that people should be familiar with: "The Lathe of Heaven" by Ursula K. LeGuin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lathe_of_Heaven

[Last edited by silver at 09-13-2006 02:04 PM]
09-13-2006 at 01:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Stump the Jin (+2)  
Ok, wish 3:

"Rather than be depressed by my inability to approve of my artistic work, I will find the drawing process pleasurable enough that its prolongment just makes me happy. This will not make me obssessive, just moderately pleased, nor will others find my attitude abnormal."

[Last edited by eytanz at 09-13-2006 02:29 PM]
09-13-2006 at 02:29 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
I just had an awful itch on my back...

(starts scratching with four arms at once)

Ahhh... That feels better.

09-13-2006 at 04:42 PM
silver
current queue: 4 of 5 spots used.
1) Chaco, 1 at a time mode. 2 wishes and 42 words and 2 conjunctions used. Situation mildly bad (nosebleed), in interactive mode to study the consequences of the latest wish.
2) UrAvgAzn, 1 at a time mode. 2 wishes and 22 words and 0 conjunctions used. Situation painful.
3) Jason, 1 at a time mode. 2 wishes and 65 words and 4 conjunctions used. Situation remains neutral, with a potentially mildly bad undercurrent.
4) Maurog, 1 at a time mode. 1 wish and 28 words and 0 conjunctions used. Situation awkward.

Most recently off the list: eytanz stumped me (you will see his post is +2). now I see why in bedazzled, the devil only asks for the next wish after each is negated :)

[Last edited by silver at 09-14-2006 01:01 AM]
09-14-2006 at 01:00 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
One at a time mode.

I wish that a volume of air less than 1 cubic decimeter in front of me equal to that of a ham sandwich had its subatomic particles rearranged in such a way as to result in a ham sandwich that will not negatively effect any person or obeject to contact, consume, or otherwise interact with said ham sandwich.
09-14-2006 at 01:17 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
silver wrote:

Most recently off the list: eytanz stumped me (you will see his post is +2). now I see why in bedazzled, the devil only asks for the next wish after each is negated :)

Yay, I won! (I modded Silver's post up because I enjoyed the game)

[Last edited by eytanz at 09-14-2006 01:22 AM]
09-14-2006 at 01:21 AM
silver
coppro's wish:
"I wish that a volume of air less than 1 cubic decimeter in front of me equal to that of a ham sandwich had its subatomic particles rearranged in such a way as to result in a ham sandwich that will not negatively effect any person or obeject to contact, consume, or otherwise interact with said ham sandwich."

The volume of air equal to a ham sandwhich I approximate at 16 cubic inches.

Since subatomic particles are the source of mass, merely rearranging them cannot change the mass. Since the gravity field is remaining constant, we'll consider mass equivalent to weight for now.

The weight of air in 16 cubic inches is 0.00072 pounds or so.

A ham sandwhich in that volume would approximately be half a pound. So we're talking a factor of 694 in density.

So with a <pop> as the air around you fills the vaccuum around your ham sandwhich, you see, briefly, a ham sandwhich of otherwise benign qualities which occupies about 0.023 cubic inches and weighs about 0.00072 pounds. it's hard to see as it blows away.

---

current queue: 5 of 5 spots used.
3) Jason, 1 at a time mode. 2 wishes and 65 words and 4 conjunctions used. Situation remains neutral, with a potentially mildly bad undercurrent.
4) Maurog, 1 at a time mode. 1 wish and 28 words and 0 conjunctions used. Situation awkward.
5) coppro, 1 at a time mode. 1 wish and 58 words and 2 conjunctions used. Situation neutral.

09-14-2006 at 01:56 AM
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
Third wish (the regular third wish after dealing with a djinn):

I wish I never met you!

Keep posting,

09-14-2006 at 02:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jamesdenem
Rank Points: 203
It seems that whenever I check this game, there are no spots open on the queue. -_-

Would it be possible for me to jump in after UrAvgAzn's third wish is granted? If so, then I would like one at a time mode.

Here is my first wish if I can jump on to the queue...
Click here to view the secret text

This signature intenionally left blank. Disregard any text you may find here, because it is probably just your imagination, and not a signature in any way. We mean it, don't believe that there is text here.
09-14-2006 at 03:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
mmm. if I had a wish, I'd wish people would read the rules. I'm pretty sure UrAvgAzn's wish breaks at least one of them.

However, I believe I'm done playing. There were some fun highlights, but mostly it was a painful exercise because there apparently wasn't a lot of attentive reading happening.

09-16-2006 at 09:48 PM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
Does that mean you won't answer my last wish?

[Last edited by Jason at 09-17-2006 08:21 AM]
09-17-2006 at 08:21 AM
Drgamer
Rank Points: 113
If Silver doesn't want to do it...
Can I take his place?
I'm feeling literal and evil ;).
09-17-2006 at 12:03 PM
silver
Drgamer: it's a free forum, but I'd be surprised if anyone believed you could back up a promise to give +2 to anyone who beats you, so you might want to change the stakes :)

Jason: I did grant the last wish you made. look back a page.

09-17-2006 at 07:46 PM
Jason
What I mean is can I wish my third wish?

09-17-2006 at 08:02 PM
Drgamer
Silver: I planned on changing the stuff around
IE: I'm too lazy to spend alot of time counting the number of words, but I still won't accept a page per word ;)
09-17-2006 at 09:13 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Hmm, guess this means I can't do my interactive mode or my third wish then.

09-17-2006 at 09:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
okay, okay, okay, I'll finish out Jason and Chaco :)

09-17-2006 at 09:39 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
I put my hand on the man and shake him. I ask him, "Are you okay?" in a serious tone, looking him over for any sort of weapons or other signs of bad character.

09-17-2006 at 10:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drgamer
Apparently he won't finish...
10-09-2006 at 12:54 AM
silver
sorry, yah. Jason never posted his third wish after I said "sure, I'll finish up you two" and while I had the whole story for Chaco's encounter, I got wrapped up in work and I don't have time to write it out nicely, so I'll just dump my outline:

Basically, Chaco was, in fact, in a position to save a serial killer who had been recently stunned by police, but had just enough left in him to run a block. If Chaco stuck around, he'd get a nice police congratulation as they ran up behind him, and if he just rescued the guy he'd get to hear about another death on the news. I'll take his answer as "stuck around" and give him 2 mod points.

[Last edited by silver at 10-11-2006 08:30 AM]
10-11-2006 at 08:29 AM
Jason
I wish that I say to the man: "What is your problem with my product?" He can't come up with an idea so he says: "Nothing, actually. I like it, it works and is perfect! I don't want a refund after all. Goodbye and thank you!"

10-11-2006 at 05:05 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Stump the Jin (continued...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com