Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Stump the Jin (continued...)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
IP: Logged
icon Stump the Jin (0)  
Same rules as in this thread: http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=11921

Though note, addition: I may sometimes choose to interact with the players. The parameters will be made clear on a case by case basis.

---

Lst6's wish:
"I wish that Silver can't post in this thread anymore."

Your wish is granted. You've accomplished nothing good nor bad. Though a disgruntled forumer will probably mod you down now for causing spam.

---

eytanz' wish:
"I wish I could mod Silver up for free."

Congratulations, you have discovered a bug in the forum code allowing you to mod people up freely. Will you
(a) report the bug to Schik, or (b) keep it a secret for later use?

---

current queue: 5 of 5 spots used.
1) Chaco. 1 at a time mode. 1 wish and 7 words and 0 conjunctions used. Jin is pondering.
2) UrAvgAzn (may edit his entry due to rule change)
3) eytanz, 1 at a time mode. 1 wish and 9 words and 0 conjunctions used. Interaction for resolution engaged.
4) Jason, 1 at a time mode. 1 wish and 23 words and 2 conjunctions used. Situation is neutral.
5) Lst6, 1 at a time mode. 1 wish and 10 words and 0 conjunctions used. Situtation is neutral, borderline bad.

and, most recently dropped off the list, Kevin_P86, soon to be dying of thirst in a lonely jail cell on a peaceful, empty planet. http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=11921#131994

09-10-2006 at 05:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lst6
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 211
icon Re: Stump the Jin (0)  
Wish #2:I wish That Silver Forgives me and that so I can reverse the first wish.
Off topic: I mean it seriously.

Things related to the Bar:
Click here to view the secret text

Working on: NOTHING
Accomplishments i'm proud of:
-Solving the bar riddle
09-10-2006 at 06:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
silver wrote:
eytanz' wish:

Congratulations, you have discovered a bug in the forum code allowing you to mod people up freely. Will you

I'll report it to Schik.

09-10-2006 at 06:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Chaco's wish:
"I wish for a first aid kit."

"Hmm. Let me see here. First aid kit from another planet, designed for an incompatible species? No, probably has scientific value. A kitten in a nurse uniform? No, too cute. The very first ever 'aid kit'? No, might be patentable. Bug him about the grammar (he didn't, afterall, provide a verb in the subordinate clause)? Mmm. Potential there, but I just did a grammar post in the last hour. Ooo, I know, he didn't say it had to be a good or a well-stocked first aid kit."

<setting things in motion>

At the next intersection, a school bus goes by. In the bus are a number of children vandalizing the first aid kit, which they stole from under the driver's seat. The driver is distracted trying to get the kit back, but, amazingly, fails to hit you. However, one of the kids does throw the kit out the window, whereupon it hits you square in the nose. Inside the kit, you find the children have left only one piece of gauze. You use it to plug your nosebleed. Your nose still hurts. This is "mildly bad".

---

1) Chaco. 1 at a time mode. 1 wish and 7 words and 0 conjunctions used. Situation mildly bad.
2) UrAvgAzn (may edit his entry due to rule change)
3) eytanz, 1 at a time mode. 1 wish and 9 words and 0 conjunctions used. Jin is pondering.
4) Jason, 1 at a time mode. 1 wish and 23 words and 2 conjunctions used. Situation is neutral.
5) Lst6, 1 at a time mode. 1 wish and 10 words and 0 conjunctions used. Situtation is neutral, borderline bad.

09-10-2006 at 06:19 PM
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
I don't get it. What do I have to change?

Keep posting,

09-10-2006 at 06:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
UrAvgAzn wrote:

Keep posting,

Do you, or do you not, want one at a time? You need to specify it.
09-10-2006 at 06:26 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
coppro wrote:
UrAvgAzn wrote:

Keep posting,

Do you, or do you not, want one at a time? You need to specify it.

He did. Silver might have missed it as a side-effect of lst6's wish.

09-10-2006 at 06:29 PM
silver
Lst6's wish:
"I wish That Silver Forgives me and that so I can reverse the first wish."

quoth the rules:

If a wish makes no sense (i.e. you wish that something didn't happen which, in fact, didn't happen) then I may just take it as granted.

[In one at a time mode] You may choose to use the second and third wishes to improve your current condition, or you may "blow a raspberry" and negate your previous wish(es).

---

there's nothing to forgive and you could already negate the first wish (I'm being generous with "and that so" because you're not a native speaker of the language). so taken as granted. you're back to square one, sorta.

---

UrAvgAzn's wish:
"I wish that this wish wouldn't be so stupid."

Granted. Several billion years from now, that will be a brilliant wish. (Or maybe I just disqualify as "makes no sense" and/or "meta-wish". Whichever way, I throw up my arms on that one. Draw.)

---

1) Chaco, 1 at a time mode. 1 wish and 7 words and 0 conjunctions used. Situation mildly bad.
2) UrAvgAzn, 1 at a time mode. 1 wish and 9 words and 0 conjunctions used. Situation is neutral.
3) eytanz, 1 at a time mode. 1 wish and 9 words and 0 conjunctions used. Jin is pondering.
5) Lst6, 1 at a time mode. 2 wish and 25 words and 1 conjunctions used. First 2 wishes negated.

09-10-2006 at 07:49 PM
silver
eytanz wrote:
silver wrote:
eytanz' wish:

I'll report it to Schik.

A wise choice, as while I was back a month ago inserting the bug to grant your wish, I was also putting in a big alarm that would go off if the bug were exploited.
Schik is mildly annoyed that you called him on vacation, but thanks you for reporting the bug.
Later, though, when he goes to edit it, he finds the bug is commented "insert backdoor for eytanz" and sees the changelog mysteriously attributes that checkin only to 'root'. The system logs show access from your computer at the time the bug was inserted (didn't I mention I was logged in from your machine? it just seemed so much easier...). He sends you an angry email demanding to know where the root-hole is on the forum machines and why you used it to muck with the forum code. He is unconvinced by references to malicious djini. Based on your years of friendship and good behavior, though, and the absurdity of mentioning yourself in a comment next to code you were hacking, he eventually just fixes the problems and makes a note to himself to keep an eye on you.
Your friends are suspicious of you, which is only mildly bad, as I'm sure with time you can regain their trust. You'd've been kicked off the forums and the TCB team with option B, so good choice.

---

1) Chaco, 1 at a time mode. 1 wish and 7 words and 0 conjunctions used. Situation mildly bad.
2) UrAvgAzn, 1 at a time mode. 1 wish and 9 words and 0 conjunctions used. Situation is neutral.
3) eytanz, 1 at a time mode. 1 wish and 9 words and 0 conjunctions used. Situation is mildly bad.
5) Lst6, 1 at a time mode. 2 wish and 25 words and 1 conjunctions used. First 2 wishes negated.

09-10-2006 at 08:05 PM
Lst6
Here is my last wish:
Wish #3: I wish that every active member would get 10 rank points and 10 mod points. (Considder as good if as consequence they take mine)

-Solving the bar riddle
09-10-2006 at 08:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
Wish#2: I wish that while the nice man was demanding the refund, his cellphone rang and his wife (who the man likes a lot) was on the telephone to tell him that the product works after all and that he should come back.

09-10-2006 at 08:26 PM
eytanz
I wish to dispute that outcome. Schik knows me well enough to know that, if I was able to log in to the server and discover that it was vulnerable to someone writing a backdoor, the most likely thing I would do is just write such a backdoor myself (assuming it's nothing mission critical like highscores, but this is mod points we are talking about), then report it as a bug so he can find it. Thus, he has no reason to be suspicious as the outcome is pretty consistent with my expected behavior.

Anyway, time for wish #2:

New wish: I wish I were talented enough to produce pixel-art drawings of sufficient quality to be used as DROD (2.0 or later) tiles. These tiles should be original drawings of my own, not copies of other people's work.

[Last edited by eytanz at 09-11-2006 12:57 AM]
09-10-2006 at 08:28 PM
UrAvgAzn
Wish #2 for me too! Great game, by the way, Silver.

I wish I had neater handwriting, though not stolen by any copyrighted fonts.

Keep posting,

09-10-2006 at 08:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
One at a time mode please.

#1: I wish that I had a book that contains every strip from all my favorite webcomics, (past present, and future strips included.)
09-10-2006 at 11:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Ezlo - there are no open slots at the moment.

09-10-2006 at 11:50 PM
silver
The fact that you "waited several weeks" was taken into consideration here (of course, you only recently became aware that action had been taken on your behalf several weeks ago, so it was impossible that you should have contacted Schik earlier. But does he know that? Interesting question).

---

I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with the meta-situation that while the Jin is a master of space and time, I clearly am not. While it is perfectly possible that the fictional Jin we were are speaking of could go back and post while I was asleep, it is not possible that I could, but I am the author of the Jin. Which makes wishes about me rather meta-ful and likely to lead to logical conundrums or at least confusing situations.

09-11-2006 at 12:18 AM
eytanz
silver wrote:
The fact that you "waited several weeks" was taken into consideration here (of course, you only recently became aware that action had been taken on your behalf several weeks ago, so it was impossible that you should have contacted Schik earlier. But does he know that? Interesting question).

Clearly, I was waiting for him to find it on his own, and only reported the bug when it became clear that he won't. It's not sporting otherwise.

I'll rescind my second wish and post a new one, but I'd like my words back as it's not my fault that the jin's time mastery is limited in unexpected ways.

09-11-2006 at 12:26 AM
silver
Fine. Then he's not suspicious. Situation neutral instead of mildly bad (your wish was granted, but you immediately took steps to undo its effect).
-
yes, I'll let you have an edit on your second wish, as the alternative is saying "the Jin went back and 4 hours ago, woke me up up, and I posted a reply, but have since deleted it" which I don't particularly like because it's Too Meta.
I am expanding the prohibition of "meta-wish"es to include other pseudo-metas such as wishes about the wish-granter, the author of the wish-granter, the wishing game, and mechanism of delivering the wishing game.

09-11-2006 at 12:36 AM
silver
2) UrAvgAzn, 1 at a time mode. 1 wish and 9 words and 0 conjunctions used. Situation is neutral. may edit due to change in rules (or he may just say he'll give the wish as it stands, though I suggest he look at his prepositions)
3) eytanz, 1 at a time mode. 1 wish and 9 words and 0 conjunctions used. Situation is neutral. may edit due to change in rules - must edit or else his second wish would be disqualified by recent rule alteration.
4) Jason, 1 at a time mode. 1 wish and 23 words and 2 conjunctions used. Situation is neutral. may edit due to change in rules (or he may just say he'll give the wish as it stands)
5) Lst6, 1 at a time mode. 2 wish and 25 words and 1 conjunctions used. First 2 wishes negated. may edit due to change in rules (or he may just say he'll give the wish as it stands)

Kevin_P86, is either soon to be dying of thirst in a lonely jail cell on a peaceful, empty planet, or just enjoying his big stack of useless money on a peaceful, empty planet. Under dispute. May have to appoint a judge here.

09-11-2006 at 12:45 AM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
And don't forget enjoying my Ham and Cheese sandwich on White, with mustard...!

09-11-2006 at 12:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Just a note that my wish above has been edited with a replacement wish.

09-11-2006 at 12:57 AM
Lst6
I say officially that the 3rd wish will not be changed, it stays as it is. (lets hope for a good outcome)

-Solving the bar riddle
09-11-2006 at 11:02 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
I wish that a non-suicidal and non-masochistic person came down with an ailment treatable by one of the items in my first aid kit, and that I was the closest person available to treat them.

(treating somebody with a first aid kit is a good outcome, I hope)

09-11-2006 at 11:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
I'm fine with my wish.

09-11-2006 at 05:53 PM
eytanz
You know, this game would be a lot more interesting if the jin was under some sort of time pressure to respond. As it is, Silver can give people deadlines but can take as long as he wants to think of responses. That just makes the game kind of boring. I realize that the kind of time pressure that would make this a true contest of minds is impossible, but at least there should be some guideline.

09-11-2006 at 10:33 PM
silver
I rescind any deadline pressure you feel you are under :)

and, uh, it could be worse *cough*prize box*cough*

09-11-2006 at 10:38 PM
eytanz
I'm not under any righr now, but to quote the rules:

At my discretion, if I find your wishes to be particularly easy to break, I might say "are you sure?" in which case you have 24 hours to edit.

[Last edited by eytanz at 09-11-2006 10:39 PM]
09-11-2006 at 10:39 PM
UrAvgAzn
Fine with my wish.

Keep posting,

09-13-2006 at 02:08 AM
silver
icon Re: Stump the Jin (+1)  
UrAvgAzn's wish:
"I wish I had neater handwriting, though not stolen by any copyrighted fonts."

When the Jin suggests that you look at your prepositions, you should really listen. You probably meant to say "not stolen from any copyrighted fonts." Though it doesn't really matter, as hand-writing which resembles a copyrighted font can't be punished, only making a FONT that resembles a copyrighted font (too closely).

Anyway, this is rather easy to fulfill: you now have cripplingly painful arthritis. Since you must take great effort to make each stroke with a pen, you are naturally much more careful and conservative with your penmanship, resulting in a very neat handwriting.

---

eytanz' wish:
"I wish I were talented enough to produce pixel-art drawings of sufficient quality to be used as DROD (2.0 or later) tiles. These tiles should be original drawings of my own, not copies of other people's work."

Fraid I'm going to have to count starting a new sentence as use of a conjunction.
Anyway, minor point. I just re-watched Bedazzled (2000. Harold Ramis is a genius, incidentally) so this has a little of that flair to it.

You are now a talented artist - an incredibly very super talented artist. Complete with the usual set of idiosyncracies that go with the talent - an inability to appreciate your own work; a feeling that you're never "finished" with a piece; a desire to keep your ugly, unfinished efforts out of the eyes of others. You can make the art, but you can never submit it, because you can see just how much better it could be with a little more tweaking... this is all made worse by digital media, because you can't even reach a point where erasure threatens to damage the paper, or another layer of paint wouldn't stick... you toil endlessly over these lovely tiles which the rest of us will have to see only if your harddrive is stolen or found in your place after your demise. It's no wonder artists are usually so depressed. It's no wonder you are so depressed.

---

Jason's wish:
"I wish that while the nice man was demanding the refund, his cellphone rang and his wife (who the man likes a lot) was on the telephone to tell him that the product works after all and that he should come back."

One thing to note here: I (nor the man) never said the product did not work, just that he was unhappy with it. So what his wife is telling him is redundant. Though there's a clear implication of your wish I think you're missing. I won't tell it to you immediately, just what you observe, though:

He seems agitated, like he's trying to cover up his end of the conversation so you can't tell what he's talking about. He finally tells her "yah, I'll back. As soon as I'm done with what I'm doing." He hangs up and then looks at you, "about that refund?"

---

Lst6's wish:
"I wish that every active member would get 10 rank points and 10 mod points."

You know, you never said of what group these people should be an active member. I considered briefly having you giving out forum bonuses to all the active members of Al-Qaeda or somesuch, but there's an easier action I can take to fulfill your wish:

<crunch grind crack pop>
You're wondering what that smoke is?

Oh, that's just the facility containing the forums. All the computers and backups at the facility were destroyed when a gas-transportation truck on its way to the nearest service station swerved into it and exploded. And it seems I misplaced the off-site backups while perusing the old forum code looking for a place to insert a mod-point bug.

After he gets the forums back up (with no data), Schik gives everyone who registers in the first few days 10 mod points to re-seed the modding system (since everyone is back to roachling - when they re-registered they were given the usual default 10 rank points).

---

Chaco's wish:
"I wish that a non-suicidal and non-masochistic person came down with an ailment treatable by one of the items in my first
aid kit, and that I was the closest person available to treat them."

Taking stock of your heavily vandalized first-aid kit, I see you have one item remaining - smelling salts.

A man is approaching you, running very rapidly. He faints before you for no immediately apparent reason.

There, your wish is fulfilled. The die is cast, as it were. Would you like to treat the man with your smelling salts?

---

current queue: 4 of 5 spots used.
1) Chaco, 1 at a time mode. 2 wishes and 42 words and 2 conjunctions used. Situation mildly bad (nosebleed), in interactive mode to study the consequences of the latest wish.
2) UrAvgAzn, 1 at a time mode. 2 wishes and 22 words and 0 conjunctions used. Situation painful.
3) eytanz, 1 at a time mode. 2 wishes and 46 words and 1 conjunction used. Situation depressed.
4) Jason, 1 at a time mode. 2 wishes and 65 words and 4 conjunctions used. Situation remains neutral, with a potentially mildly bad undercurrent.

Most recently off the list: Lst6 with his first 2 wishes negated and his third having wiped out all the forum data.

[Last edited by silver at 09-13-2006 09:58 AM]
09-13-2006 at 09:55 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
One at a time mode.

I wish humans could levitate at will.

09-13-2006 at 10:58 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Stump the Jin (continued...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com