Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : So I hear a stingray rolled a natural 20
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
IP: Logged
icon So I hear a stingray rolled a natural 20 (+2)  
I know I'm going to be modded down into oblivion.

I know.

But I have to say it.

And if you don't know what I'm talking about, that's for the best.
09-04-2006 at 08:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: So I hear a stingray rolled a natural 20 (0)  
It's almost unbelievable. I thought he was invincible.
09-04-2006 at 08:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
:(
09-04-2006 at 10:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
I fully expected the natural 20 to come at least another decade or two down the line, and be from a reptile...

09-04-2006 at 10:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Interesting fact: most of you probably use AOL instead of MSN messenger, but some time after this happened, somebody decided to put a picture of a turtle in their name (in memory of him, something to do with him having a pet turtle), and told everybody they knew to do so as well. Its now been about 12-13 hours, and almost everybody on my list has turtles on *their* lists.. amazing how fast something can spread.

[Last edited by TripleM at 09-04-2006 12:15 PM]
09-04-2006 at 12:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Banjooie wrote:
And if you don't know what I'm talking about, that's for the best.
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Briareos at 09-04-2006 12:24 PM]
09-04-2006 at 12:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
What I don't get is the natural 20 thingie.
09-04-2006 at 12:33 PM
Hikari
Alneyan wrote:
What I don't get is the natural 20 thingie.
In pencil-and-paper RPGs, when you roll a 20-sided die and a 20 comes up, it's referred to as a 'natural 20', as opposed to the 20 you might get for rolling a 17 and adding a +3 bonus. Most of the time, it's treated as a critical hit/critical success when it was being rolled for a stat check.

[Last edited by Hikari at 09-04-2006 01:15 PM]
09-04-2006 at 01:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
:~(

I never thought it would happen.
09-04-2006 at 01:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Rank Points: 392
I had absolutely no idea what this was about until I read the link in Briareos' post. Now I'm all like :-O . He was a great person.

09-04-2006 at 01:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Thanks. I haven't played much with d20 systems, and never ran into that natural distinction during the few games I did play. That, and I guess I'm too used to GURPS and 3d6.
09-04-2006 at 01:52 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Man news travels fast.

Infact, it got here faster than it got to me.

What i can't get is why its such big news, i didn't think he was that big a celebrity, well at least over here.
Also, if he had to go i'm kinda dissapointed that it wasn't a croc, but its ironic enough as it is, as this will spread a great deal of predudice about stingrays(and he deticated his life to getting rid of that sort of thing), even though your more likely to be eaten by a shark, or simply drown.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 09-04-2006 02:22 PM]
09-04-2006 at 02:18 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
It's amazing that the guy lasted this long. I hadn't heard much about him recently...I guess the novelty kind of wore off since he first got popular. A shame.

Croc on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-04-2006 at 03:44 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
You know, I'd use :closedeyes for a moment of silence, but it almost looks like it's smiling a bit.

So I'll just have to be unoriginal. Such a tragedy :(

09-04-2006 at 03:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hikari
NiroZ wrote:
Man news travels fast.

Infact, it got here faster than it got to me.

What i can't get is why its such big news, i didn't think he was that big a celebrity, well at least over here.
Also, if he had to go i'm kinda dissapointed that it wasn't a croc, but its ironic enough as it is, as this will spread a great deal of predudice about stingrays(and he deticated his life to getting rid of that sort of thing), even though your more likely to be eaten by a shark, or simply drown.

I seem to recall hearing while I was on a trip down to Australia a few years back that the vast majority of Australians didn't even necessarily know who he was, as his show that made him popular was kinda a US-centric thing.

09-04-2006 at 08:18 PM
Bunches
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 192
You know, the scary thing is that this hasn't deterred my dream of working with wild animals.
09-04-2006 at 08:31 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
From what I've seen, I enjoyed his show and thought he was a great guy.

Very sad. :~(
09-04-2006 at 08:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sergenth
Rank Points: 296
My sister had been watching some of the recent Steve Irwin episodes over the last 2 months. Since his family runs a zoo, the new stuff wasn't just all crocodiles, though they did have one where the quest was to trap and measure the largest river crocodiles - he came out of that one with just a broken finger, so yeah... I always figured he'd walk away from any encounter.

Last weekend, for the first time, I ferried a whole lot of flies out of the house... instead of just swatting them all, so I'd like to think that a sliver of his compassion and affinity towards all animals finally rubbed off on me through the tv. I free other insects from the confines of my house all the time, but flies never got that privilege before.

09-04-2006 at 09:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jjohn7418
Rank Points: 161
I was shocked to see this on the news, but he died doing exactly what he loved best.

09-04-2006 at 09:53 PM
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
Woah... I was just watching him setting up a Crockasuem in Austrilia on TV a couple of days ago and now he's dead. He was a nice guy, and it's sad that he died.
09-05-2006 at 01:14 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460

File: retaliation.JPG (12.9 KB)
Downloaded 324 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: So I hear a stingray rolled a natural 20 (+3)  
Hmm...

I don't think Steve would have wanted them blown up :/

From smh.com.au

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 09-05-2006 02:01 AM]
09-05-2006 at 01:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Canadian_Army
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 50
I didn't think ledgends could die...
:weep

09-05-2006 at 03:23 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Canadian_Army wrote:
I didn't think ledgends could die...
:weep

I didn't think legends could die either.

As for ledgends.

He was a great guy. I was only two degrees from him, too.
09-06-2006 at 02:35 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Hikari wrote:
I seem to recall hearing while I was on a trip down to Australia a few years back that the vast majority of Australians didn't even necessarily know who he was, as his show that made him popular was kinda a US-centric thing.

Mostly true - he's mostly famous for being an Australian famous in the US. We all know who he was, and what he did, and especially the light he painted Australia in, and so we had a love/hate relationship with him. I only think he TV show was picked up here after it became big in the US - it might be on pay TV, I don't know. Pay TV is still kind of a dubious purchase in Australia.

This isn't stopping the TV channels from devoting half-hours to a retrospective on his life, however.

09-06-2006 at 05:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Mattcrampy wrote:
Hikari wrote:

Mostly true - he's mostly famous for being an Australian famous in the US. We all know who he was, and what he did, and especially the light he painted Australia in, and so we had a love/hate relationship with him. I only think he TV show was picked up here after it became big in the US - it might be on pay TV, I don't know. Pay TV is still kind of a dubious purchase in Australia.

This isn't stopping the TV channels from devoting half-hours to a retrospective on his life, however.

I suppose it has to do with the freak cause of death, and the fact that the lebanon conlict is old news now, so they have to show something.

This type of thing makes me wonder, what type of reaction would happen if, say, the queen died? My guess is, outside of britain, it wouldn't generate nearly as much interest from people, which is kind of odd that a common man would create a larger worldwide reaction than royalty.
09-06-2006 at 07:51 AM
Alneyan
I guess that would depend on the country, and whether they are other news items of interest. I know we hear just as much about English royalty in France than we would down in London, with live events for a few events (say, that marriage back in 1981, or the jubilee). Of course, being royalty *and* dying in an unordinary manner works even better: just ask Lady Diana.

England asides, we hardly hear anything about other royalties (Belgium, the Netherlands, or even Liechenstein)... or most other countries, for that matter. I strongly doubt most people here know the current Prime Minister of Canada, Australia or New-Zealand (or any pol from said countries, for that matter).

[Last edited by Alneyan at 09-06-2006 09:06 AM]
09-06-2006 at 09:06 AM
jjohn7418
Rank Points: 161
That's one thing the US has going for it, and I'm not saying it's a good thing, but we hear about almost anything that happens anywhere. They will break into prime time TV shows with news about everything from real important to really stupid. They break in on the shows, but never miss a commercial.

09-06-2006 at 02:46 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
[quoteI suppose it has to do with the freak cause of death, and the fact that the lebanon conlict is old news now, so they have to show something.
They actually do it for every Australian celebrity that dies. See, Australia has these laws about what percentage of content shown on television must be Australian-made, but a lot of the top-rating shows (but not, interestingly, the best-rating one) are American. So it's an easy and quick way of serving two masters, as people will watch it and it counts as Australian content.

I don't know what the rules are for cable, but I do recall UKTV being knocked around by it a lot. SBS certainly would, being a station dedicated to serving the multicultural background, but they deal with it by running arts programs and movies and television shows made by minority groups. SBS is awesome. Free-to-air anime (and late-night softcore) with ads at the end of programs.

This type of thing makes me wonder, what type of reaction would happen if, say, the queen died? My guess is, outside of britain, it wouldn't generate nearly as much interest from people, which is kind of odd that a common man would create a larger worldwide reaction than royalty.

The same thing here, going off Diana. The British royalty count in Australia because they're technically the head of state, but they're increasingly irrelevant to Australian affairs as we integrate more with the Asia region. Nevertheless, people will watch it so they'll do it.

09-07-2006 at 03:18 AM
NiroZ
Alneyan wrote:
England asides, we hardly hear anything about other royalties (Belgium, the Netherlands, or even Liechenstein)... or most other countries, for that matter. I strongly doubt most people here know the current Prime Minister of Canada, Australia or New-Zealand (or any pol from said countries, for that matter).

You mean, Stephen Harper, John Howard and Helen Clark?

@mattcrampy
For your first point, its who makes the shows, rather than what that show contains that matters i was lead to believe, thus the covering of the Lebanon war would count no different to the government than covering Steve Irwin.

I was more referring to the fact that someone with a really quirky personality attracting more attention from the population than someone who, by societies standards, is more important.

Also, the fact that Diana was really popular compared to the rest of the royalty, and that the media just loved to stalk her is why she gathered alot of attention.

I honestly don't know why the British royalty even gets attention over here, as all they have ever done is say "we would rather not intervene in the affairs of Australia" twice(i forget the exact quote).
We might as well make the Governor General take the highest office of government, if it was worth the bother. At least the governor general has done something once, although whether or not it was good or bad is up to you.

Also, I think that the Queen still counts for Canada too, but only the western side care at all.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 09-07-2006 06:52 AM]
09-07-2006 at 06:49 AM
Pilchard VIII
Rank Points: 392
A little off topic by now, but : Some friends at school told me a joke about this event, but I thought it was way too evil, so I won't post it unless asked to.

09-07-2006 at 03:44 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : So I hear a stingray rolled a natural 20
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com